Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

wait a moment this is like eve

124»

Comments

• GTwanderGTwander Member UncommonPosts: 6,035

Originally posted by Gremrod

Also, have you seen any code from either game?

Straw-man argument.

Writer / Musician / Game Designer

Now Playing: Skyrim, Wurm Online, Tropico 4
    Waiting On: GW2, TSW, Archeage, The Rapture

• DehriosDehrios Member Posts: 20

Everything is Perpetuum is made in-house and has not been the same code as any other game. This is a brand new engine that was built from scratch. Any similarities are just coincidence. 

• ShastraShastra Member Posts: 1,061

Originally posted by Dehrios

Everything is Perpetuum is made in-house and has not been the same code as any other game. This is a brand new engine that was built from scratch. Any similarities are just coincidence. 

So much coincidence? shocking really. If there were just couple of similarities then i would believe your coincidence theory.

• Rockgod99Rockgod99 Member Posts: 4,640

Originally posted by Shastra

So much coincidence? shocking really. If there were just couple of similarities then i would believe your coincidence theory.

Does it matter? people have been dying for a game like Eve but on planets since 03.

Here it is, be happy.

Playing: Rift, LotRO
    Waiting on: GW2, BP

• ironhelixironhelix Member Posts: 448

Just went over to Youtube to see some videos... and I have to agree that this DOES look like a complete ripoff of EVE (but with mechs... yeah). The overview, targeting, modules, avatar creation... all of it looks like it was lifted from EVE, and they didn't even try to disguise it. I mean, it's not really that bad of an idea for a game, but for God's sake, don't be so blatantly obvious about it.

• GozzonGozzon Member UncommonPosts: 4

More you play it less it feels like EVE. If you look at  beta forums theres a lot of old eve players who are trying to make game go EVE way which Devs and some other players don't want to take. A lot of new players saying its totally like EVE with less features who after playing for a bit start to see how much difference there is.

People say  always say "omg they stole art from wow" when they see backstab skill with dagger in it and possibly some blood, Strange huh? Same exact thing is happening here: the most imaginable option appears which EVE also used appears and pooh! Stolen art/mechanic/code!

People tell there is a lot of common,  lot of is rip off and nothing self made. True when you ignore all that is differences. There was some guy here telling he is mining and its exactly like EVE, but he is enjoying it. I was shocked! He must have played some other game since mining principle is similiar, but mining is more like SWG and EVE bound together which in turn is not exactly like in EVE.

• qazymanqazyman Member Posts: 1,785

Am I the only one starting to think that one thing that will be different is large scale battles. I just don't see how this game will be able to support 600+ players in a confined area engaged in battle. Furthermore, I don't think this is a bad thing. I think the ability to develop complex strategies for gang warfare could be a real asset for this game. One that sets it apart from many games on the market today.

• leumasx7leumasx7 Member Posts: 218

if im correct, regarding the interface looking (almost exact) like EvE, the story is also very similar to EvE's

• GremrodGremrod Member UncommonPosts: 207

Originally posted by leumasx7

if im correct, regarding the interface looking (almost exact) like EvE, the story is also very similar to EvE's

Background story / lore is totally different and nothing even close to EVE.

Originally posted by qazyman

Am I the only one starting to think that one thing that will be different is large scale battles. I just don't see how this game will be able to support 600+ players in a confined area engaged in battle. Furthermore, I don't think this is a bad thing. I think the ability to develop complex strategies for gang warfare could be a real asset for this game. One that sets it apart from many games on the market today.

You are correct. I am not sure about 600+ battles in a single area. But the game has mechanics for end game pvp that are different then EVE. yes of course corps can build bases. But in Perpetuum you get to terraform the area around your base.

One thing that the game has is a slope feature. The slope mechanic works in a way that allows for smaller bots to cut across areas that mechs can't because of the slope degrees attribute that the different classes of bots and mechs have.

Yes, gang warfare is different in this game big time. No warping out. Ranges have a lot to play with it as it does in EVE but more so in this game. You have to keep an eye on everything and always watch your distance from enemy bots and mechs so you can try and keep them in your range but try and stay out of their range. At the same time making sure you don't move yourself into an area where you can be boxed in by the slope mechanic.

Originally posted by Rockgod99

Originally posted by Shastra

Does it matter? people have been dying for a game like Eve but on planets since 03.

Here it is, be happy.

Exactly!

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342

Originally posted by ironhelix
    Just went over to Youtube to see some videos... and I have to agree that this DOES look like a complete ripoff of EVE (but with mechs... yeah). The overview, targeting, modules, avatar creation... all of it looks like it was lifted from EVE, and they didn't even try to disguise it. I mean, it's not really that bad of an idea for a game, but for God's sake, don't be so blatantly obvious about it.

It might look like but the game play and mechanics are completely different and has nothing to do with EVE.

Forum Beware. Gremrod will smite ur negative comments. (Gremrod has achieved defender of the Perpetuum Online forum of MMORPG.com)

Did they change it then, about 4-5months ago, because the story was similar before. (not race stories, but the story on how the war began and the portal, etc).

PS. saw a gameplay video, the interface is so rip-off (targeting side panel like eve, exact)/ (round bubble buttons for your gear). Now a few things are different in the interface, but over half of it looks like a copied styling of CCP's  -EvE Online.

Did they change it then, about 4-5months ago, because the story was similar before. (not race stories, but the story on how the war began and the portal, etc).

PS. saw a gameplay video, the interface is so rip-off (targeting side panel like eve, exact)/ (round bubble buttons for your gear). Now a few things are different in the interface, but over half of it looks like a copied styling of CCP's  -EvE Online.

The story for perpetuum still leaves the human race at earth. They are connected to sparks that are small nano bots that go through a blackhole to land on the planet Nia. The agents are connected to thier spark and use to to operate on the planet.

yes, the UI is very EVE like.

And thank you for the title.

• VenedVened Member UncommonPosts: 71

UI is very similiar to EvE's ,but  gameplay is different. w/o "warp to" option, with ammo for lasers, with "duck&cover" fight option, and so on.

WAR's UI looks similiar to WoW, WoW's to EQ.  The diference is gameplay.

Originally posted by qazyman

You are correct. I am not sure about 600+ battles in a single area. But the game has mechanics for end game pvp that are different then EVE. yes of course corps can build bases. But in Perpetuum you get to terraform the area around your base.

One thing that the game has is a slope feature. The slope mechanic works in a way that allows for smaller bots to cut across areas that mechs can't because of the slope degrees attribute that the different classes of bots and mechs have.

Yes, gang warfare is different in this game big time. No warping out. Ranges have a lot to play with it as it does in EVE but more so in this game. You have to keep an eye on everything and always watch your distance from enemy bots and mechs so you can try and keep them in your range but try and stay out of their range. At the same time making sure you don't move yourself into an area where you can be boxed in by the slope mechanic.

I want to point out that I mentioned some elements of end-game PVP that are not in the game yet. Those elements are  the player built bases and terraforming.

• madlukemadluke Member UncommonPosts: 108

I'm not even that ino mech's and this game souns very interesting at least.