Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

wait a moment this is like eve

Comments

• HarabeckHarabeck Member Posts: 616
    Originally posted by Slepnair

With as many MMO's and even just games that are out there now, it is impossible to come up with a game that is completely unique now. there will always be some aspect that someone will look at and say "oh, they ripped this from <insert game name here>". the Devs took a concept they liked and are building a good game around it. A Major patch is now being implemented and there is a lot more on the drawing board that they plan to put in. While some narrow minded individuals may look at the game and say "oh its just a Eve Clone", others will actually try it and realise that it is its own game, and is a very good one at that.

It's not just the concept, it's everything about Eve except the setting and some tiny bits of the gameplay. It is not its own game, it is Eve with mechs instead of spaceships.

• ComnitusComnitus Member Posts: 2,462

Hah, this is like that F2P game (Allods...?) and WoW (where the F2P game almost directly ripped off WoW's UI). Also, World of Lordcraft ripping off... well, you should be able to guess.

• CodenakCodenak Member UncommonPosts: 418
    Originally posted by Perception

So much potential,  wasted on already proven unpopular game dynamics... 

Three hundred thousand subscribers to eve would disagree with you.

• EqvaliserEqvaliser Member Posts: 74

I think its EXCAKTLY like eve. 

Spent most my days mineing until i can get EP's for upgrades..

well alot like eve skill training..

plus the engine is either a replica or the same. :D

------
    Playing MMO's since my first which was Ultima online, then Anarchy online. and so on.. ;)
    Now a days im very critical before i ewen bother downloading a Free to play mmo.

• GremrodGremrod Member UncommonPosts: 207

I see so many comments about the interface and how it is a total rip off of EVE. But when two games are trying to give the user a window or tool to display data or information it comes down to doing it the most efficient way.

A window is a window.

Windows 3

Macintosh

Two different computer companies displaying the information in the same way. Yes, apple did it first but they also stole their GUI from Xerox. MS copied it because it was a good way to present the user with data in WINDOWS........

• randomtrandomt Member UncommonPosts: 1,220

After watching the youtube videos about it, I've got to say, it certainly looks a lot like EvE's interface..

I mean check out about half way through http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MUBHjDzBa2I&feature=related - looks almost like eve - although could be the user just manually customized stuff to look that way.

Dunno... maybe they share an underlying engine or ui library or something. Does it really matter? Still looks like an interesting title to watch out for

• OddbotOddbot Member Posts: 31

Originally posted by Comnitus

Hah, this is like that F2P game (Allods...?) and WoW (where the F2P game almost directly ripped off WoW's UI). Also, World of Lordcraft ripping off... well, you should be able to guess.

That's Alganon, not Allods. And though i haven't played this game or Eve, from what people are saying, it seems to be a similar situation. I don't know how these companies think that nobody will notice... You play an MMO long enough and it's UI and icons basically become hardcoded into your brain to the point that it's instantly recognizable. 

• StrillStrill Member Posts: 13

Originally posted by Gremrod

I see so many comments about the interface and how it is a total rip off of EVE. But when two games are trying to give the user a window or tool to display data or information it comes down to doing it the most efficient way.

A window is a window.

Windows 3

Macintosh

Two different computer companies displaying the information in the same way. Yes, apple did it first but they also stole their GUI from Xerox. MS copied it because it was a good way to present the user with data in WINDOWS........

You don't get it.  I'll make it more clear for you.  Ragnarok Online has a grid-based inventory system, where item icons are placed in a grid in an inventory window.  EVE online, and Perpetuum also have such a system.  But what makes Perpetuum's system a rip-off of EVE's is that while Ragarok Online's grid-based inventory system is composed of a grid of circles onto which item icons are placed, EVE's and Perpetuum's inventory systems both include a resizable window onto which square icons are placed.  These square icons both consist of an image overlayed on a transparent frame, and they both include an effect where the edges of the frame reflect light from any light sources in the area.  Is that not specific enough for you?  Are you really arguing that the shiny edges of the item icons are necessary to the UI?

We're not arguing that EVE and Perpetuum both have an inventory system.  We're arguing that they both have IDENTICAL inventory systems.

More examples:

EVE online features a spreadsheet-like list of nearby ships/objects which can be customized to show various useful information about the object, such as its angular velocity and distance.  Enemies are marked with red plus signs whose size increases according to the enemy's threat.  

Perpetuum features a spreadsheet-like list of nearby robots which contains various information about the robot, such as its distance and orientation.  Enemies are marked with red plus signs.

EVE ships are centered around "modules", items which can be equipped to your ship.  The currently equipped modules are displayed on the UI in the form of circles containing the icon for the module, and are arranged in three rows with each row corresponding to the type of slot the module is equipped in.  Furthermore, they are arranged in a hexagonal pattern such that the middle row is indented.

Perpetuum's UI includes a list of currently equipped items in the form of circles containing the icon of the item, arranged in three rows in a hexagonal pattern with the middle row indented.

EVE has a "target lock" mechanic, where by ctrl+clicking an enemy, right clicking them and selecting "lock", or doing either of those on the previously mentioned spreadsheet list of nearby ships, your ship begins a "lock-on" procedure.  You cannot attack or use modules on a ship you do not have locked, except when using "smart bombs" which affect everything in an AoE radius.  

Perpetuum has a "target lock" mechanic where by right clicking on a target in the Landmarks window and clicking "lock", your robot begins a "lock-on" procedure.  A player cannot attack an enemy they do not have targetted.

EVE contains "ECM" modules which cause an enemy ship to lose its target locks.  

Perpetuum contains "ECM" items which cause an enemy robot to lose its target locks.

EVE contains "ECCM" modules which cause your ship to be more resistant to enemy ECM modules.

Perpetuum contains "ECCM" modules which cause your robot to be more resistant to enemy ECM items.

EVE contains Energy Vampires which steal energy from an energy ship.  

Perpetuum contains Energy Drainers which steal energy from an enemy robot.

EVE contains Energy Neutralizers which reduce an enemy's energy faster than Vampires, but also drain your own energy.  

Perpetuum contains Energy Neutralizers which reduce an enemy's energy faster than Drainers, but also drain your own energy.

EVE contains Capacitor Injectors which use up consumable "Capacitor Charges" in order to provide a temporary boost to your ship's energy reserves.  

Perpetuum contains Energy Injectors which use up consumable charges in order to provide a temporary boost to your robot's energy accumulator.

EVE contains sensor boosters which increase the range and speed at which you can lock on.  

Perpetuum contains sensor boosters which increase the range and speed at which you can lock on.

EVE contains remote sensor boosters which increase the range and speed at which another player can lock on.  

Perpetuum contains remote sensor boosters which increase the range and speed at which another player can lock on.

EVE contains co-processor modules which increase your Ship's CPU stat, allowing it to equip modules with more processor usage.

Perpetuum contains co-processor modules which increase a robot's CPU stat, allowing it to equip items with more processor usage.

EVE contains reactor control units which increase your Ship's Power Grid stat, allowing it to equip modules with more power usage.  

Perpetuum contains reactor upgrade items which increase your robot's reactor performance, which allow you to equip items with higher reactor usage.

EVE contains stasis webifier modules which slow down enemy ships, making them easier to hit and catch.  

Perpetuum contains demobilizers, which slow down enemy robots, making them easier to hit and catch.

EVE contains Sensor Dampers which reduce the range and speed at which an enemy ship can lock on.  

Perpetuum contains Sensor Supressors which reduce the range and speed at which an enemy robot can lock on.

EVE contains Capacitor Batteries which increase your capacitor's capacity, allowing you to activate more modules before your capacitor runs out or is drained.  

Perpetuum contains Auxilliary Accumulators which increase your accumulator's capacity, allowing you to activate more modules before your accumulator runs out.

EVE contains Capacitor Rechargers which increase your capacitor's recharge rate.  

Perpetuum contains Accumulator Rechargers which increase your Accumulator's recharge rate.

EVE contains "optimal range" and "falloff" mechanics whereby if an enemy is outside your turret's optimal range, it will have an increasingly low chance to hit as the target moves out of range.  

Perpetuum contains "optimal range" and "falloff" mechanics where if an enemy is outside your turret's optimal range, it will have an increasingly low chance to hit as the target moves out of range.

EVE contains an "explosion radius" mechanic on missiles where if the explosion radius attribute of a missile is larger than the signiature radius of the target, the missile does not deal full damage, and instead deals damage equal to the signiature radius of the target divided by the explosion radius of the missle.  

Perpetuum contains an "explosion size" mechanic where if the "explosion size" attribute of the missile is larger than the "target size" of the target, the missile does not deal full damage, and instead deals damage equal to the target size of the target divided by the explosion size of the missile.

Skills in EVE are all governed by a primary and secondary character attribute.  These attributes determine how fast the skill trains.

Extensions in Perpetuum are all governed by a primary and secondary character attribute.  These attributes determine how fast the extension is developed.

Ships in EVE each have bonuses themed after the ship's role and manufacturer.  These bonuses can be increased by leveling up the skill for that class of ship.

Robots in Perpetuum each have bonuses themed after the robot's role and manufacturer.  These bonuses can be increased by leveling up the extension for that class of robot.

Do I need to go on or is this enough?

The fact is that not only are the necessary UI elements ripped off from EVE, but the art style and trivial UI elements as well.  Not only that but just about every piece of equipment in EVE is ripped off part for part.  Similarly, the two main resources needed to equip items, Power Grid and CPU are also directly ripped off, as is the decision to have three equipment slot types which roughly correspond to Weapons, Armor, and Electronic Warfare.  EVE's skill system and attribute system are directly ripped off.  

Heck, they even ripped off EVE's graphic for energy neutralizers!  Check out 0:42 in this video.

Okay, so lets say it is a total rip off of EVE. The goes for other games that have ripped of other games. Magic effects are the same in many other games etc.

I just don't get why peole are so focused on this aspect of the game. I have found so many things that are different about this game also.

But yeah we could sit here and agure this point back and forth all day and week. Enough said. You have your points and I have mine.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,509

It is an EVE clone, (in every sense of the word) no way to dispute that even if they made some variations to it for Robots vs Ships.

Doesn't mean it can't be fun, sort of like how ROM can be fun while being a clone of WOW.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• astoriaastoria Member UncommonPosts: 1,677

Originally posted by Kyleran
    It is an EVE clone, (in every sense of the word) no way to dispute that even if they made some variations to it for Robots vs Ships.
    Doesn't mean it can't be fun, sort of like how ROM can be fun while being a clone of WOW.

Almost all those concepts ECM, Energy Vampires, tractor beam slows of some sort go back as far as sci-fi space lore.

Damage and accuracy reduced by range? what a novel concept!!!....no wait...the laws of physics and gravity invented those. (not that that makes a lick of sense in a vacuum of course).

EVE did not invent the concepts or the terminology. They just made a great game that operationalized them well.

"Never met a pack of humans that were any different. Look at the idiots that get elected every couple of years. You really consider those guys more mature than us? The only difference between us and them is, when they gank some noobs and take their stuff, the noobs actually die." - Madimorga

Originally posted by Kshahdoo

Don't you think those guys have already contacted CCP and made all agreements? I mean it can be some kind of CCP approved project. Or even CCP owned project...

Maybe so, I just petitioned it in EVE and directed them to this page. I'll post here if they send me an interesting answer. (probably will just be ignored)

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Originally posted by astoria

Almost all those concepts ECM, Energy Vampires, tractor beam slows of some sort go back as far as sci-fi space lore.

Damage and accuracy reduced by range? what a novel concept!!!....no wait...the laws of physics and gravity invented those. (not that that makes a lick of sense in a vacuum of course).

EVE did not invent the concepts or the terminology. They just made a great game that operationalized them well.

Just not buying it.... look at the screens, how the mechanics of so many things are copied from eve, right down the artowork, mechanics and names in many cases. 

You're living in another universe (the land of Denial apprarently) if you can't see it.

Just not buying it.... look at the screens, how the mechanics of so many things are copied from eve, right down the artowork, mechanics and names in many cases. 
    You're living in another universe (the land of Denial apprarently) if you can't see it.

No. I agree with you on that. But the post above made a big point about the terms. I just don't find that as big a deal. I guess I am focusing on it from a legal point of view and I should have made that clearer. (I'm a lawyer and deal with related stuff sometimes).

From a copyright stand point - terms, character names, etc. make it a lot easier to prove copyright infringement. The overall aesthetic quality is less easily actionable.

"Never met a pack of humans that were any different. Look at the idiots that get elected every couple of years. You really consider those guys more mature than us? The only difference between us and them is, when they gank some noobs and take their stuff, the noobs actually die." - Madimorga

• someforumguysomeforumguy Member RarePosts: 4,088

Creating an original game/UI just for the sake of being original, is stupid. Especially if it means you make something in a way you dont really like it. The devs probably played EVE and thought that some mechanics or UI stuff works exactly the way they would like it for the game they have in mind. Why should they then just create something different just to be different?

Its also just possible to come up with a similar type of UI without having played EVE, simply because EVE's UI windows behave a lot like desktop windows.

[quote]Originally posted by Kyleran
    [b][quote]
    You're living in another universe (the land of Denial apprarently) if you can't see it.[/b][/quote]

Also, the ad hominem attack is beneath you.

You missed my point. I'm not saying Perpetuum uses the same names and concepts as EVE with their equipment, I'm saying they ONLY use concepts from EVE, and that their equipment mechanics are all EXACTLY the same as EVE's.

The targetting mechanic is exactly the same, the CPU/Powergrid is the same, the Capacitor(Accumulator) mechanic is the same, Skills and skill training is the same, and not only that, but all the equipment in EVE which affect these systems are present in Perpetuum in identical forms.  That's just a small list of the things Perpetuum "borrowed" from EVE.

I'm not saying Perpetuum borrowed just concepts or terminology from EVE, I'm saying they stole the whole system in its entirety.

Originally posted by Strill

You missed my point. I'm not saying Perpetuum uses the same names and concepts as EVE with their equipment, I'm saying they ONLY use concepts from EVE, and that their equipment mechanics are all EXACTLY the same as EVE's.

The targetting mechanic is exactly the same, the CPU/Powergrid is the same, the Capacitor(Accumulator) mechanic is the same, Skills and skill training is the same, and not only that, but all the equipment in EVE which affect these systems are present in Perpetuum in identical forms.  That's just a small list of the things Perpetuum "borrowed" from EVE.

I'm not saying Perpetuum borrowed just concepts or terminology from EVE, I'm saying they stole the whole system in its entirety.

Because some of those names are real world names ECCM: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electronic_counter-countermeasures

Why should they call it anything different.

So what.... I am glad someone has done another game in the style of EVE. Gives us more flavor and a different way to play another game like EVE, but with no spaceships. Controls are different. And TBH the skilling system is a bit different and the production/refining system is  a bit different.

I think it was about time for someone to do a game that was fashioned after EVE's style since so many others copy WOW and the rest of the magic style mmo games.

Also, now you're saying they stole the entire system? I disagree with you on that one. But that is what forums and these little chats are all about.

Originally posted by someforumguy

Creating an original game/UI just for the sake of being original, is stupid. Especially if it means you make something in a way you dont really like it. The devs probably played EVE and thought that some mechanics or UI stuff works exactly the way they would like it for the game they have in mind. Why should they then just create something different just to be different?

Its also just possible to come up with a similar type of UI without having played EVE, simply because EVE's UI windows behave a lot like desktop windows.

^^ Their devs have said this very thing you are saying someforumguy. I think only 2 of them had ever even seen EVE or played it. They said it would be stupid to change something that works the best and make it different so it didn't work or look like EVE. This would lead to controls and UI that jsut would not work for the type of information / data they need to display.

Because some of those names are real world names ECCM: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electronic_counter-countermeasures

So what.... I am glad someone has done another game in the style of EVE. Gives us more flavor and a different way to play another game like EVE, but with no spaceships. Controls are different. And TBH the skilling system is a bit different and the production/refining system is  a bit different.

I think it was about time for someone to do a game that was fashioned after EVE's style since so many others copy WOW and the rest of the magic style mmo games.

Also, now you're saying they stole the entire system? I disagree with you on that one. But that is what forums and these little chats are all about.

You are not listening to me.  Once again, I'm not saying they stole the idea of ECM or ECCM, or that such an idea in and of itself can be stolen. I'm saying that they stole both the idea and all its mechanics as implemented in EVE.  ECM/ECCM in EVE and ECM/ECCM in Perpetuum are based on the exact same mechanics

Tell me, have you ever actually played EVE?  If so, then how about you give an explanation of some core combat mechanic in EVE and I'll show you the corresponding identical mechanic in Perpetuum.

You are not listening to me.  Once again, I'm not saying they stole the idea of ECM or ECCM, I'm saying that they stole both the idea and all its mechanics as implemented in EVE.

Tell me, have you ever actually played EVE?  If so, then how about you give an explanation of some combat mechanic in EVE and I'll show you the corresponding identical mechanic in Perpetuum.

Just quit EVE after playing for 3 years. Okay how about the mechanics around Bomb launchers and their AoE bombs that can only be used in null sec.

Also, TBH EVE stole from another game. So I really don't get your point at all.

Why is it you feel you need to point out how Perpetuum is just like EVE or copied EVE?

How about probing out large fleets sitting in a deep safe?

• aleosaleos Member UncommonPosts: 1,942

who's played it?

• randomtrandomt Member UncommonPosts: 1,220

It's very EvE like, which will mean anyone who played EvE for any significant amount of time will be able to get right into it without having to struggle through a learning curve.

There are differences of course, different ways of doing things, the fact that combat involves actually doing something (the terrain or the objects on it can block shots, so moving in and out of cover makes a big difference. ).

Also, there is the fact that many people complain about how it's "impossible" to catch up to oldschool EvE players.. Which is relatively true. Well now you can start from day 0 in an EvE like game and be one of those veterans!

BTW in case it wasnt mentioned, the hanger views posted half way through the thread no longer apply, they don't look like that anymore

• HarafnirHarafnir Member UncommonPosts: 1,350

Actually played the game for seveal weeks and yes, from the login screen to the UI to the menus to the font to everything except space, it is a plagiarisation of EVE. Everything.... I am amazed that people that have not even seen the game except some muddled sceen shot sit here and argue against that... Wait.. its a forum. of course they can. Actual knowledge is worth nothing in those.

Carry on...

"This is not a game to be tossed aside lightly.
    It should be thrown with great force"