Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

if there is a brand new UO w/o trammel, will you play?

revrentrevrent Member Posts: 2

just being curious if there is another UO, with better graphics and what not, w/o trammel, will you play ?

Comments

• ChrisMatternChrisMattern Member Posts: 1,478

Originally posted by revrent
    just being curious if there is another UO, with better graphics and what not, w/o trammel, will you play ?

UO without Trammel? No thanks, gankfests aren't my thing.

Fairly irrelevant anyways. UO2 will never be made--EA actually made it twice but axed it both times before release. If it was made, it wouldn't be made without Trammel or the equivalent--Trammel was implemented because it was necessary for UO's survival, and it wouldn't be remade without it.

• SnarlingWolfSnarlingWolf Member Posts: 2,697

I'd go back to UO if it was more like initial release. Only safe areas are in towns, and there is no red blue grey.

But I'd probably need a bigger skill list to stay for long, I remember it being pretty easy to max out the skills you needed.

Some of my fondest MMO memories are of UO.

• EvasiaEvasia Member Posts: 2,827

With how these days mmo's community is im affraid that even when a developer try make a hardcore open pvp game player base will trammel it for you with there whines and crying out loud that game should be ezmode and save for causal carebears.

Darkfall is plagued by army of carebears whine wholeday its to hard, dificult and to harsh:(

Games played:AC1-Darktide'99-2000-AC2-Darktide/dawnsong2003-2005,Lineage2-2005-2006 and now Darkfall-2009.....
    In between WoW few months AoC few months and some f2p also all very short few weeks.

• VengerVenger Member UncommonPosts: 1,309

No, after seeing the ravenousness dogs that frequent the FFA pvp game forums FFA pvp has no place in mmos anymore.  Too many leet children of all ages frequent mmos anymore.

It is really to bad and to our detriment that so many people can't see the beauty of UOs design because of it ffa pvp.  If the core design of UO were taken and tweeked it would be a game like no other.  It would absolutely blow everything away, it would become the new measuring stick that mmos should be judged by.

• dstar.dstar. Member Posts: 474

I'd play it only because it's UO.  However like everyone has said, in these times it wouldn't go over well as a pure FFA system.  Though I'd even play it as a trammel version too, as long as there were areas for pvp.  The game would have to mimic that of the UO style and not be gear dependent, with all its freedom glory that has never been duplicated by any other MMO.  This would never happen either because of 1.  EA owns UO.  2.  Your average MMO player these days...well.  At any rate, yes I'd play it.

• VegettaVegetta Member Posts: 438

Id go if Raph Koster was working on it. MAYBE.

• IlvaldyrIlvaldyr Member CommonPosts: 2,142

I wouldn't play it.

For one; the whole house thing.

People forget that UO was king of the early RMT with houses selling on eBay for hundreds/thousands of dollars. If the game launched today the game world would be immediately colonised by 24/7 geeks and/or farmers.

It would be impossible for the average player to get a half-decent house for in-game credit, and there would be tons of castles and large houses stood empty just waiting for someone to stump up the cash and buy them.

Playing: EVE, Final Fantasy 13, Uncharted 2, Need for Speed: Shift
  • FateusFateus Member Posts: 47
    Originally posted by Venger

No, after seeing the ravenousness dogs that frequent the FFA pvp game forums FFA pvp has no place in mmos anymore.  Too many leet children of all ages frequent mmos anymore.
    It is really to bad and to our detriment that so many people can't see the beauty of UOs design because of it ffa pvp.  If the core design of UO were taken and tweeked it would be a game like no other.  It would absolutely blow everything away, it would become the new measuring stick that mmos should be judged by.

This would be the only reason I hesitate to say yes without a doubt. I loved UO and I loved the danger that FFA PVP offered, but It only worked because UO had a decent enough population with a diverse community where not everyone was a ganking murderur. If for the most part the community is composed of good players whose sole source of enjoyment is not dependent on someone else's pain then FFA pvp works.

The thing about pvp in UO is that it really was as close as it got to having a true moral choice in a game. Sure some will argue that its just a game get over it, but I argue that you are still playing with other humans. Getting ganked and getting all your gear taken away does affect said person negatively. The emotions are real. It makes for a much more gripping game but only if theer is balance. With the olden days of UO (not launch, I would say when there were penalties for going red and what not) things were balanced. There were relatively few Pks running around, and there was a strong enough player base that if one caused too much grief he would get hunted down and killed.

From the other perspective, what fun is it if you and your 5 red friends only have 1 guy to terrorize. Being a player killer took skill (skill I didn't have). Pks had a reputation, they could frighten players just by walking by. Right now in UO when I go to feluccia I have no idea if said player was skilled or not, Its not as If I have a chance to fight him on equal odds, gear plays a big role and so forth.

• BrianshoBriansho Member UncommonPosts: 3,586

I would but they would have to practice zero tolerance for the whiners and carebears that would try to invade and change.

Don't be terrorized! You're more likely to die of a car accident, drowning, fire, or murder! More people die every year from prescription drugs than terrorism LOL!

• Marcus-Marcus- Member UncommonPosts: 1,010

As I said recently in a similiar thread..

I would love to, and would be back in a minute, however...

In todays MMO market, chances are, as far as content and gameplay, it would probably be nothing at all like the original, and I would be highly dissapointed.

• VengerVenger Member UncommonPosts: 1,309
    Originally posted by Fateus

Originally posted by Venger

This would be the only reason I hesitate to say yes without a doubt. I loved UO and I loved the danger that FFA PVP offered, but It only worked because UO had a decent enough population with a diverse community where not everyone was a ganking murderur. If for the most part the community is composed of good players whose sole source of enjoyment is not dependent on someone else's pain then FFA pvp works.

The thing about pvp in UO is that it really was as close as it got to having a true moral choice in a game. Sure some will argue that its just a game get over it, but I argue that you are still playing with other humans. Getting ganked and getting all your gear taken away does affect said person negatively. The emotions are real. It makes for a much more gripping game but only if theer is balance. With the olden days of UO (not launch, I would say when there were penalties for going red and what not) things were balanced. There were relatively few Pks running around, and there was a strong enough player base that if one caused too much grief he would get hunted down and killed.

From the other perspective, what fun is it if you and your 5 red friends only have 1 guy to terrorize. Being a player killer took skill (skill I didn't have). Pks had a reputation, they could frighten players just by walking by. Right now in UO when I go to feluccia I have no idea if said player was skilled or not, Its not as If I have a chance to fight him on equal odds, gear plays a big role and so forth.

I wouldn't say being a pk to an excessive amount of skill.  Most of the pks I ever ran into and that wasn't a lot because I was a smart player, either hide with explosions ready in places where less skilled player frequent like the vesper grave yard pass to the lost lands, bridges just outside of vesper, mines, etc. or charged in attacking people that were occupied with mobs.  I don't think ganking and blitzkrieg pvp takes a lot of skill. 

This is why I think most old school pvpers don't like instant pvp.  I guess it isn't a much fun attacking someone that is ready and waiting for you or not being able to go after the easy kills.

/put on flame proof boxers

Have at me. :D

• metalhead980metalhead980 Member Posts: 2,658

In all honesty, I found Post Trammel UO much more enjoyable.

This is coming from a PKer.

A game that gives players a choice  is always better than a game that forces pvp at them.

UO is still a premier sandbox game, admittingly a more pve focused game now but it's still quality.

The gankers that left when trammel hit just got upset that they couldn't feed off the sheep.

If you love pvp you should have to fight against people that love pvp not pvers looking to gather or hunt.

Flame me, I don't care. Post trammel UO is a much better game then pre trammel ever was.

PLaying: EvE, Ryzom

Waiting For: Earthrise, Perpetuum

• Swafdawg23Swafdawg23 Member Posts: 390

i would play any new UO..if it was pre AOS, with trammel or not. it seems like i had the most fun in UO back in 2000/2001 and trammel was in the game then.

gamertag - Swaffle House

• talismen351talismen351 Member Posts: 1,124
    Originally posted by Swafdawg23

i would play any new UO..if it was pre AOS, with trammel or not. it seems like i had the most fun in UO back in 2000/2001 and trammel was in the game then.

Pre AoS I would play. Without trammel, I would not...not with the MMO community the way it is in todays games.

Before tram, the community was smaller....and seemingly more mature. Sure there was the odd asshat, but that was expected in an online game.

I feel intodays community, UO with only Fel, would be nothing more than a constant gankfest which would probibly end up making the community smaller than the current UO sub base.

• TMcCTMcC Member Posts: 218

i agree no whiners please.....the thing that sux is old uo is gone forever and richard garret is a god....im just lookin for a shard that mimics any pubs from 1....to 16...i just never understood when the number of players go down by 85% shouldnt someone realize that all the players that left are dyin to see old uo

• NopexNopex Member Posts: 86

This is what frustrates me about people who play MMO's these days.

Let me say something and make it very clear.

ULTIMA ONLINE PRE TRAMMEL WAS ABSOLUTELY NOT, I REPEAT NOT A GANK FEST

You see..only about 1 in every 100 gamers feels a need to gank people whenever they go out in the wild.  The other 99% of people who are out and about were always nice and willing to help hunt or whatever.

I met hundreds of people in UO in the old days out and about in the wild and had fun with them.

FFA servers are a total nightmare, because they consist completely of the 1% of gamers that used to occupy "normal" servers.

Yes ganking happens cos you will come across that 1% every now and again.  But generally it wont and if you're careful you can avoid that 1% threat most of the time.

MMO's nowadays are ruined because people complained and whined non stop about that 1%.  Now you have to make a choice.  A care bear server with no danger, or a total gank fest consisting of morons (that 1%).

Thank god for Eve is all I can say.

• OhaanOhaan Member UncommonPosts: 568

Would I play a non-trammel UO2? That would entirely depend on the details. The MMO PvP experience for me, is highly dependent on the details...

I certainly would not bother playing UO if EA re-released pre-trammel servers because, although my best MMO experiences were with UO, that version of the game, is well past its prime. The game was an experiment. It was the first MMO for many players. Many did not understand the consequences of FFA PvP or how poorly death at the hands of another player would make them feel. Since the MMO industry has significantly matured, it is unlikely that this experience could be duplicated again.

• hidden1hidden1 Member UncommonPosts: 1,244

I don't think lightening will strike twice.  UO was what it was for it's time; bringing forth a newness, and coming into the market with all it's newness.

People these days are searching for the new messiah of mmo's these days, not rehashes,... eventhough this seems to be the mother who gave birth to the plethora of mmo's to date.

• OhaanOhaan Member UncommonPosts: 568
    Originally posted by metalhead980

In all honesty, I found Post Trammel UO much more enjoyable.

This is coming from a PKer.

A game that gives players a choice  is always better than a game that forces pvp at them.

UO is still a premier sandbox game, admittingly a more pve focused game now but it's still quality.

The gankers that left when trammel hit just got upset that they couldn't feed off the sheep.

If you love pvp you should have to fight against people that love pvp not pvers looking to gather or hunt.

Flame me, I don't care. Post trammel UO is a much better game then pre trammel ever was.

I have no problem accepting the fact that the introduction of Trammel was a positive thing for the majority of UO players (i.e. the PvE'ers).

However, in principle, I disagree that a game that always gives players a choice is better than one that does not. By doing so, the developers must effectively develop and maintain two separate products because PvP and PvE designs are not the same. IMO studios should stick to their target market: pure PvE, pure, PvP, or hybrid.  Players will always have a choice: buy or don't buy - there are always other games out there...

The situation with UO was somewhat unique because there was little previous experience on the polarization and segmentation of PvP and PvE players. The game was aimed at the MMO crowd at large. I honestly think that EA thought that they could have their cake and eat it too by introducing Trammel and then tacking on a Siege Perilous server. Of course the PvP aspect of the game took a nosedive. In hindsight, I would have personally preferred it if EA had the cohones and just disabled PvP altogether...

• inBOILinBOIL Member Posts: 669
    Originally posted by Evasia

With how these days mmo's community is im affraid that even when a developer try make a hardcore open pvp game player base will trammel it for you with there whines and crying out loud that game should be ezmode and save for causal carebears.

Darkfall is plagued by army of carebears whine wholeday its to hard, dificult and to harsh:(

allmost ultimate truth here i agree,but think about UO times ,PvP was RPplayer Vs RPplayer.

itsnotlike  that anymore,times have changed and same rules doesnt work anymore ,ever.

Generation P

• Squirv01Squirv01 Member Posts: 155

I would definately give Ultima Online a very serious look if the product was updated to current graphical standards.  I say this because the only thing that is presentlly preventing me from going back to Ultima Online is the out dated graphcs.  Yes, it's true, I need a certain level of eye candy.  Unfortunatley, I don't have the definition of the level of eye candy I need to enjoy a game.  I guess it's purely subjective.

• DiekfooDiekfoo Member Posts: 583

There is one brand new UO coming ... it's called Mortal Online (UO inspiered) ... made by people that played UO for years since beta and wanted to create a more modern UO alike game ... see a player rewiew here or this video made by a player  ...

www.mortalonline.com/forums/30223-we-might-actually-have-our-new-uo-mo.html

www.youtube.com/watch

www.youtube.com/watch

Much have been imrpoved since those videos, like the GUI etc ... and a totally new skill system.

If you loved UO or Everquest1 ... don't miss the chance to check out Mortal Online. The game have taken large steps just the last 3 weeks. Beta is going on .... release of about 1 month. I am in the beta and this is a very promising MMO. 

MO =

full loot PvP

No instances

No minimap

You hit where you aim (hit boxes)

Seamless loading of areas

Skillbased

RL skill

Advance and dynamic crafting

Build your own house (not instanced)

Open your own shop

Build bridges etc ...

Taiming & thieving & magic school skills

Epic mobs that is spawned just once

No handholding

etc ...

• Player_420Player_420 Member Posts: 686

simple answer - yes yes yes to the OP! :D

I play all ghame

• herculeshercules Member UncommonPosts: 4,924
    Originally posted by ChrisMattern

UO without Trammel? No thanks, gankfests aren't my thing.

Fairly irrelevant anyways. UO2 will never be made--EA actually made it twice but axed it both times before release. If it was made, it wouldn't be made without Trammel or the equivalent--Trammel was implemented because it was necessary for UO's survival, and it wouldn't be remade without it.

Couple of years ago i recall on this forum we had a 2 week long debate and eventually referred to the subs within the period of no trammel and trammel (back when mmorpgchart actually was reliable and companies published).

Basically, while till today many old school pvpers do not want to acknowledge it, what the above poster said it coreect and is/was reflected by the numbers.

Pre trammel UO was basically haemorraghing players badly and trammel kept a huge band aid to this .The co incidence of the much reduced lose of players post trammel cannot be ignored.

Some say it was because of EQ1 but honestly if it was solely because of EQ then the lose of players will not reduce so greatly post trammel.Another issue was UO had a horrible rate of retaining new players pre trammel as the newbie would get pked  on his first adventure out of town.I recall we had our own player made posse to try clear the pkers outside town but once we left again they camped newbies.

I highly doubt a pre trammel kind of UO will be very successful.As it is UO has missed the boat  with cancellation of UO2 in establishing ultima franchise as a major player in the new millienium  of mmorpg.At best it will have darkfall numbers .