Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What is the "New" Everquest like?

JimmydeanJimmydean Member UncommonPosts: 1,290

I haven't played EQ in many many years. I played primarily during Velious / Planes of Power but also did a stint in Omen of War. After that I haven't touched anything.

I am wondering what the game is like now? What is the raiding like? Is everything instanced now or are there still open world bosses? * FUN! *

I looooved Velious, Luclin and even Planes of Power. The elemental planes were truly challenging and fun, especially the plane of water for some reason (masochistic? perhaps).

Is the raiding anything like it was in those 3 expansions? I really cannot find a game that fills the void that EQ left, and I'm starting to think that theres a possibility no one will create a game quite like EQ ever again.

I am a raider at heart so that's what I'm most interested in. How is the raiding in todays EQ and how does it stack up against the raiding in Velious, SoL, and PoP?

Comments

• MardyMardy Member Posts: 2,213

Still looking for the next EQ1?  lol stop looking and get playing! 

After 5 years of looking since quitting in 2004, I finally said screw it, why look for the next EQ1 when I can just play EQ1 lol.  The new EQ1 is a lot more casual friendly, both in terms of leveling, getting gear, and death penalties.  As for raiding, EQ1 is one of the last few MMO's you'll find that still support large raids, as in 54 player raids.  Most games today have reduced the raid size down to half that or more.  So if you enjoyed raiding before, you'll still enjoy raiding now.

There are more instanced raids now, with better scripted bosses, which isn't a bad thing.  The main difference between instanced raid boss vs open world were always the complexity in scripting AI.  So with more instanced raids, bosses are more complex and fun to some.  There are still some open world bosses, but the new upcoming Underfoot expansion is only going to have instanced raid bosses according to the devs.

Of course for you to jump in now, you gotta level up and get a decent amount of AA's to raid top bosses. Leveling up isn't bad these days.  You'll have to get to know some raid guilds and find out what classes they need.  I know there's always a need for healers and dps classes.

Anyways, here's a couple of sites you can catch up on:

almarsguides.com/eq/gettingstarted/

home.comcast.net/~mathadon/Guides/index.html (has all you need to know about the latest SoD expansion)

EQ1-AC1-DAOC-FFXI-L2-EQ2-WoW-DDO-GW-LoTR-VG-WAR-GW2-ESO

I would suggest asking questions on the official EQ1 forum though, in the newbie zone section which you can post without having a subscription:

forums.station.sony.com/eq/forums/show.m

You'll get many more responses and helpful replies to your questions.

• drbaltazardrbaltazar Member UncommonPosts: 7,856
    Originally posted by Mardy

Still looking for the next EQ1?  lol stop looking and get playing! 

After 5 years of looking since quitting in 2004, I finally said screw it, why look for the next EQ1 when I can just play EQ1 lol.  The new EQ1 is a lot more casual friendly, both in terms of leveling, getting gear, and death penalties.  As for raiding, EQ1 is one of the last few MMO's you'll find that still support large raids, as in 54 player raids.  Most games today have reduced the raid size down to half that or more.  So if you enjoyed raiding before, you'll still enjoy raiding now.

There are more instanced raids now, with better scripted bosses, which isn't a bad thing.  The main difference between instanced raid boss vs open world were always the complexity in scripting AI.  So with more instanced raids, bosses are more complex and fun to some.  There are still some open world bosses, but the new upcoming Underfoot expansion is only going to have instanced raid bosses according to the devs.

Of course for you to jump in now, you gotta level up and get a decent amount of AA's to raid top bosses. Leveling up isn't bad these days.  You'll have to get to know some raid guilds and find out what classes they need.  I know there's always a need for healers and dps classes.

Anyways, here's a couple of sites you can catch up on:
    almarsguides.com/eq/gettingstarted/
    home.comcast.net/~mathadon/Guides/index.html (has all you need to know about the latest SoD expansion)

mm its probably like most game ,

YOUR A TANK, A  HEALER OR A DPSER  

you CAN NOT  be a hybrid 

• JimmydeanJimmydean Member UncommonPosts: 1,290

Well I took the plunge. Purchased the SOD all-in-one pack. Patching the game atm. Going to be rolling a Monk on the Mayong Server if anyone plays there and wants to chill =)

Even if EQ is a shadow of it's former self, I still think it is better than any MMORPG out atm. I am intertwined with the Lore and even the intro music gives me the chills.

Worst case scenario, I don't like the new raids and have to join a small guild that does old ones that I do like =) Not such a bad thing.

Good luck 

Mayong is the busiest server right now so probably a good choice if you like to group & guild.

• skeaserskeaser Member RarePosts: 4,180

Downloading client now, as well. Guess I'll give Mayong a try. Not sure what class I want. Is the population high enough for groups or should I look for a solo friendly class?

Sig so that badges don't eat my posts.

Originally posted by skeaser

Downloading client now, as well. Guess I'll give Mayong a try. Not sure what class I want. Is the population high enough for groups or should I look for a solo friendly class?

Mayong still got lots of pugs and guilds recruiting, for one everybody starts at 50 so the spread isn't as big as say, if everybody starts at lvl 1.  So if you like to group, and guild, Mayong's a good server choice.

Also, double xp weekend ftw. I'm like lvl 54 alrdy lol.

Don't forget to type in /claim ingame and get those satchels, which will give you 10 exp potions. Yes, the exp bonus you get from exp potions & lessons vet reward stack with the double exp weekend. 

Originally posted by Mardy

Don't forget to type in /claim ingame and get those satchels, which will give you 10 exp potions. Yes, the exp bonus you get from exp potions & lessons vet reward stack with the double exp weekend. 

Nice thanks for the tip. Lvl 59 now. I couldn't stop playing lol. It's so much fun.