Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Top ten hardest games of all time

I like hard games. I like games people say are impossible to play in certain ways.

The game has to have an ending, and if there is a difficulty mode it is assumed to be at its highest setting.

I may have forgotten one, but here are my top ten hardest games of all time of the top of my head. No specific order.

Ninja Gaiden NES

Shinobi multi

Battletoads multi

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles NES

Mystic Defender Genesis

Batman and Robin Genesis

Terror from the Deep PC ( if you abuse the save/reload feature, it's not even in the top 100)

Contra Genesis

Rayxanber 2 PCE

Target Earth Genesis.

Two honorable mentions:

Pitfall. Ya, old school.

Rygar on the NES, assuming you try to beat it in one sitting. More of a test of stamina than anything.

Interesting that almost all of them are old console games. I guess it does speak to the whole "they are making games easier" thing. Anyway, what are yours? Try not to list mods of various games if you can help it. I've played very few neogeo or Turbo graphics 16 games but most of the games on other consoles.

Comments

• BooksBooks Member Posts: 80

Yea definitely Rygar, no saves. No hope.

• feena750feena750 Member UncommonPosts: 330

I would rate Dragon's Lair for the NES as the hardest game ever.  This youtube video will show you why and is pretty funny.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yJosEn-B-Bg 

• jonesyorgjonesyorg Member UncommonPosts: 35

All time hardest game to complete is Angband (you could probably include most variants).

Never met anyone who has actually finished without using a "borg".  Can't imagine even attempting it on anything other than normal settings.

Available for most major OS's and source code avail to compile if not.  Download and try it, I double dog dare ya'.

• spookytoothspookytooth Member Posts: 508

I'll vouch for battletoads. Really fun game but........christ almighty

• cukimungacukimunga Member UncommonPosts: 2,258

What no FF1, that game was so hard for me.   But yeah I never could beet Ninja Turtles for the NES i was so close but never could beat it.

• eight675309eight675309 Member Posts: 246
    Originally posted by feena750

I would rate Dragon's Lair for the NES as the hardest game ever.  This youtube video will show you why and is pretty funny.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yJosEn-B-Bg 

That game had really bad control response time, but it really didn't matter. The entire point of that game, just like the arcade game, was simply memorizing patterns. Simple patterns at that. Frustrating game, but not that difficult.

• comerbcomerb Member UncommonPosts: 944
    Originally posted by eight675309

I like hard games. I like games people say are impossible to play in certain ways.
    The game has to have an ending, and if there is a difficulty mode it is assumed to be at its highest setting.
    I may have forgotten one, but here are my top ten hardest games of all time of the top of my head. No specific order.

Ninja Gaiden NES
    Shinobi multi
    Battletoads multi
    Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles NES
    Mystic Defender Genesis
    Batman and Robin Genesis
    Terror from the Deep PC ( if you abuse the save/reload feature, it's not even in the top 100)
    Contra Genesis
    Rayxanber 2 PCE
    Target Earth Genesis.

Two honorable mentions:
    Pitfall. Ya, old school.
    Rygar on the NES, assuming you try to beat it in one sitting. More of a test of stamina than anything.

Interesting that almost all of them are old console games. I guess it does speak to the whole "they are making games easier" thing. Anyway, what are yours? Try not to list mods of various games if you can help it. I've played very few neogeo or Turbo graphics 16 games but most of the games on other consoles.

By not including Ghost & Goblins on the NES you invalidate the entire list.

Originally posted by comerb

By not including Ghost & Goblins on the NES you invalidate the entire list.

Actually, I had already beat super ghosts and "whatever" on both SNES and genesis so I was prepared for that game.(getting the jumping down is the most important part for surviving any of them). In fact, I used to beat the genesis version every day or so during summer vacation. That's probably why the NES version wasn't too bad. It is the hardest of the three, of course.

• UmbralUmbral Member Posts: 1,051

Shadow of the Beast

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-F2uXkiL7zM&feature=related

-almost impossible without invencibility.

• PoopyStuffPoopyStuff Member Posts: 297

silver surfer on NES

• LawlcomplexLawlcomplex Member Posts: 3

R-Type Arcade style, with only 5 lives, id like to see someone complete that.

• Jimmy_ScytheJimmy_Scythe Member CommonPosts: 3,586

LOLWUT?

The first Mega Man for the NES didn't make the list?

The NES version of Contra didn't make the list either?

Sinistar?

How old are you anyway?

... Like 12 or something....

• grandpagamergrandpagamer Member Posts: 2,221
    Originally posted by Jimmy_Scythe

LOLWUT?
    Sinistar?
    How old are you anyway?

Yes mega man, just the thought of it brings tears to my eyes.

• xaldraxiusxaldraxius Member Posts: 1,249

Venture for Colecovision.

• zunarnzunarn Member CommonPosts: 97

Could just be me but the original Legend of Zelda game was tough for me. Back then though, you cant go online to find a guide for it and only a few game magazines available to sort thru. Great game but tough to finish and beat the game.

• Einherjar_LCEinherjar_LC Member UncommonPosts: 1,055

Tron Maze-a-Tron on Intellivision.

Batman and Robin on the Genesis...that game was a PITA, never beat it.

Ninja Gaiden, loved that game and beat it but it took many, many , many hours of trying.

Contra, never beat it but had a lot of fun trying.

Einherjar_LC says: WTB the true successor to UO or Asheron's Call pst!

• protorocprotoroc Member Posts: 1,042

Thank you for putting in Target Earth. I thought I might have been one of the few who ever got to play this awesome game.

Hearsay, Contra 4 for the DS is supposedly extremely hard.

Originally posted by Jimmy_Scythe

LOLWUT?
    Sinistar?
    How old are you anyway?

NES contra wasn't that tough. Mega Man 1 wasn't all that hard either. Sinistar  was damn hard. But, apparently you either know nothing about the game or you didn't bother to read my first post. You sound like the 12 year old. You probably didn't even play those games.

• MetzaMetza Member Posts: 160

That video had me laughing pretty hard, but for me the most recent game that I played that frustrated the hell out of me and my friend was the newer version of contra (came out a while ago but its the newest one that I know of) I believe it was for the ps2, my buddy had it and we would lose all of our lives by like the 3rd or 4th boss, it just made you want to abuse small furry animals, but at the same time it was kinda funny, My friend and I both sounded like the guy on the dragon lair video while we where playing it,   good times with bad things gotta love it!

• EthianEthian Member Posts: 1,216
    Originally posted by feena750

LOL! Crazy funny man. Added to favorites so all can enjoy LOL

"I play Tera for the gameplay"

• Swafdawg23Swafdawg23 Member Posts: 390

i think commando and dino riki for the NES are pretty tuff

gamertag - Swaffle House

• drbaltazardrbaltazar Member UncommonPosts: 7,856

mm some of the minigame online today ,like move a ball trough a moving maze etc god ,it got my air growing fast 

impossibly hard.and most of those game are addictive like hell 

tetris attack anybody ,we were a bunch of friend and we rented that game for a month ,then w re like  hell might as well buy it 

combo attack were super cool

• outfctrloutfctrl Member UncommonPosts: 3,619

Ninja Gaiden 3

I beat one and two, but couldnt  3

• PulsarManPulsarMan Member Posts: 289

Damn the seaweed level! I got through gauntlet of death maybe 5 times in my childhood.

And yes, Battletoads is very difficult.