Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DAoC 2 - Would you play it?

Comments

• peacekraftpeacekraft Member Posts: 189

It would have to be very good to make me more excited for it than GW2 but I think any game trying to emulate DAOC's RvR and especially in a historically based world would interest me significantly.

• holeymanholeyman Member Posts: 1

The short answer is yes.

The slightly longer answer is yes, but: they would have update the interface to make it less clunky.  I recently tried to get back on DAoC after years of other mmos, and found that it just felt old and battered.  Sort of like going from my newish Subaru back to my old Buick.  Regardless of this, there remain aspects of DAoC that I absolutely loved.  The RvR siege system was glorious.  It's something WoW has never provided me with an acceptable substitute for.  They had something close enough to act as a placebo with AV at one point, but that has since been nerfed.  I can't seem to find a game that gives an opportunity to take part in gigantic, epic, week long pvp battles anymore.  Maybe I'm part of a minority to have interest in this, but I'm a part that would gladly pay double the cost of my WoW sub to get it.  Bring back the style and the feel of DAoC, with the streamlining of modern games, and I'll pay whatever it costs, no questions asked.

edit: They would have to still incorporate player housing.  Also, an importance on player crafting, where the best crafter can make something amazing with common materials, rather than being able to make something from materials only available to the raiding/farming group.

• kalimahkalimah Member Posts: 44

Hey c'mon now!.  I hate the idea of people saying PvE sucked in DAOC.  So what if it took forever in the beginning to make 50.  I had multitudes of great time just being in a group and joking around and killing stuff while leveling.  The grind was tough, but the socialization was the best back then.   When you went up another level, and everyone on the server cheered lol!.   No game to date has had better PvP.  No other game has given you realm pride like DAOC.  

• GutrunnerGutrunner Member Posts: 11

Without a doubt in my heart: YES!

• randomtrandomt Member UncommonPosts: 1,220

If the PvP is like daoc and not war.. yes

The pve was a secondary sideshow for me in daoc, something to grind on and get some gear/etc in quiet times

*mushroom turrets the crap out of the enemy wall breach*

• HersaintHersaint Member UncommonPosts: 366

Originally posted by kalimah
    Hey c'mon now!.  I hate the idea of people saying PvE sucked in DAOC.  So what if it took forever in the beginning to make 50.  I had multitudes of great time just being in a group and joking around and killing stuff while leveling.  The grind was tough, but the socialization was the best back then.   When you went up another level, and everyone on the server cheered lol!.   No game to date has had better PvP.  No other game has given you realm pride like DAOC.  

I loved that /cheer from the Midgard masses even if I was just a snack for a stealthy as a Spiritmaster. Com'on developers/designers! Give me back that realm/team pride across the world server!

• hildacehildace Member Posts: 14

I would love to play DAoC2!!! I'd also go back to pre-ToA DAoC (DAoC Origins anyone?) in a heartbeat.  I'm sick and tired of one mmo after another disappointing me.  I miss pre-ToA DAoC--a shame..that 5-6 years later there still hasnt been something better when it comes to world pvp.

• PalebanePalebane Member RarePosts: 4,011

Probably not. I regret not playing the original in its heyday, but I don't believe a sequel would do it justice. Not they way things are going right now in the genre and the current community, in my opinion.

I could see Cryptic wanting to pick this up though, after reading the poll results. People will buy anything these days, which I believe is a major contributor the corruption of today's MMORPGs.

Vault-Tec analysts have concluded that the odds of worldwide nuclear armaggeddon this decade are 17,143,762... to 1.

• WarspineWarspine Member Posts: 105

I would finance it if i could!

• No Mythic won't be making another mmo after the failure that is war.

• JustTJustT Member UncommonPosts: 8

YES!

• GerardAtJobGerardAtJob Member Posts: 74

Originally posted by xsarkaix

No Mythic won't be making another mmo after the failure that is war.

WAR isn`t a FAILURE... failure is an exagerated word to qualify WAR...

PvE is nice, leveling and scenarios are nice... Players were the biggest whiner I ever saw but... they were still nice ;) ...

Ex : Whining about that CC spell that stay on 3 sec... saying it's too long... ONLY 3SEC!!!  I played daoc with mezz that stay on for more than 1 minutes and I LOVED IT lol anyway...

Keeps... no let`s say RvR wasn't comparable to daoc... RvR was too much predictable... with only 2 factions you can't call that RvR... they messed up with that, balance and all the guild stuff (a fight 200vs200, face to face on a bridge for 30 minutes is no fun at all...)

It have many negative points, but it`s not a failure ;)

And note that WAR wasn't their little MMO... GameWorkshop was right behind them, slapping their finger for every inch of innovation they were trying to include in it...

If DAOC2 come, I'll be back in it, and that's for sure :)

sry for bad english

• TheCoonTheCoon Member UncommonPosts: 41

hell yeah, daoc is one game i really regret not playing.

• ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690

I would but how about give us the original DAOC with 2011 graphics. Just give the game some minor tweaks and give us better graphics.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Originally posted by GerardAtJob

Uhm, one thing actually makes WAR a failure: Mythic ambition were to get at least 2 million players (source: MJ and Barnett). So 100K subs (give or take some) is not enough, particularly since they said they needed 250K players to get back the money they put into the game. Of course they fired a lot of people since then so it is probably 200K people.

But look on the size of Mythics crew before launch and now, it is just a fraction of what they had before, and that is a failure to me at least.

That doesn't mean that people can not enjoy the game but I am pretty sure that most people on Mythic (and who used to work there) wishes they did another game instead. You don't fire over 75% of your company and calls it a success. 

As for DaoC 2, it would be nice if they made it, but they hopefully can borrow some programmers from Bioware then, coding never been Mythics strong side.

To use the same engine as TOR for DaoC 2 instead of WARs actually makes sense and is a good idea. I might play DaoC 2 if they make it well.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Originally posted by SaintViktor

I would but how about give us the original DAOC with 2011 graphics. Just give the game some minor tweaks and give us better graphics.

Lol, that is a lot of work. It is easier to just remake the game with WARs or TORs engine than to update the original one.

And if you are to remake the game it makes sense to add some stuff and take away things that doesn't work so good.

• GerardAtJobGerardAtJob Member Posts: 74

Originally posted by Loke666

Originally posted by GerardAtJob

Uhm, one thing actually makes WAR a failure: Mythic ambition were to get at least 2 million players (source: MJ and Barnett). So 100K subs (give or take some) is not enough, particularly since they said they needed 250K players to get back the money they put into the game. Of course they fired a lot of people since then so it is probably 200K people.

Exactly! They tryed to shoot too many bird with one stone... with the result you all know today...

I would like to see a DAOC2 exactly as it is today, with a new UI and graphics.  It's already "balanced" (pls note "" and italic lol), classes are great, many zones to explore, RvR is great too... :) And yes TOA was hard to accept... but now it's much better ... except for the artifact leveling part (just gimme a lvl10 arti damn!t ;) )...

Edit: And I just stunned to see this game classed in the top 10 released games of this site... before WoW and so many others...

• ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690

Originally posted by Loke666

Originally posted by SaintViktor

Lol, that is a lot of work. It is easier to just remake the game with WARs or TORs engine than to update the original one.

And if you are to remake the game it makes sense to add some stuff and take away things that doesn't work so good.

WAR's engine is graphiclly horrific. I would rather see them use TOR's engine instead.

• ast020ast020 Member Posts: 4

I normally don't buy long subscriptions to MMORPGS. I usually go month to month, but if DAoC came out with an updated version or DAoC 2, I would buy a year subscription.  I hope some developers are reading this thread...

• gostlygostly Member UncommonPosts: 134

Hell yes! Bring on DAoC 2. Dark age of camelot was a pioneer in the MMORPG genre and I'd be excited to see how DAoC 2 would turn out.

• ZebladeZeblade Member UncommonPosts: 931

Why talk about something that won't happen. There's not enough people that would play it. They lost so much money and people :( And their track record is awful. So anything they come out with will be very dated.

• gostlygostly Member UncommonPosts: 134

Dated or not, I think it would be different from what we see these days.

I remember when I bought the game and it came with a hard-copy map and you had to try to navigate in-game by using that. Things have changed so much in this genre since then. It kinda makes me sad sometimes.

• ast020ast020 Member Posts: 4

I think if you actually made a game challenging like DAoC was originally, you will get dedicated hardcore players.  Eve is similar, it's not some game that you power-level, buy in-game money as easily, because of that there is a much more mature base of players.  

DAoC was like that when I played before all of the expansions came out and since then MMORPGs got easier and easier which brought the family into the game.  I think if DAoC made a comeback it would bring the hardcore pvpers again from all of the other mmorpgs out right now. 

• EQTarbosEQTarbos Member Posts: 130

I Hope every day that their will be news for DAOC 2. they need too scrap out warhammer and let us have what we have wanted in the first place!!   COME ON INFILTRATOR!!!!!

• Cuervo-JonesCuervo-Jones Member Posts: 6

I would definitly try it since it was the best mmorpg i played. It's up there with ultima online.