Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

One thing about MMOs I wish were gone...

The Arrogent, rude & agressive players.

Why do people make it their job to be the above? The fact is, whilst online the amount of abuse flying about exceeds real life 4 fold. Is it really the case that some players feel they can get away with murder because they're behind a computer screen?

Having a reasonable converstation here - Why do you think there are so many horrible players?

Comments

• VarnyVarny Member Posts: 765

Normally the gameplay encourages it like I havn't met a single nice person in EVE cause of how that game is setup. Though play Lotro (even though I hate that game) and you'll hardly ever bump into horrible people.

• FkinglinuxFkinglinux Member Posts: 156

I'm going to play a little devil's advocate here. Personally I like aggressive players in MMOs, to me it brings out competition. The amount of aggressiveness in MMO's is increased over real life because when you die in a MMO you don't die in real life. The thing that gets me today about most MMO players is they think MMOs should be fair, when guess what, life isn't fair. People who try the hardest and possess the most skill are going to do and be the best, deal with it. Trying to level the playing field is futile and people will always find a way to circumvent it.

That being said, I also think people need to sometimes take a step back and realize they are playing a video game for enjoyment. In my opinion some people are a bit too stressed out by MMOs and get a little too upset over things that happen to their virtual personas, perhaps you might want to consider another hobby if playing MMOs invokes so much angst.(not talking to the op)

Anyways, just thought you might wanna hear from the flipside of the coin, I enjoy things such as permadeath, FFA pvp and full loot, but at the same time, It's still a game I play for fun, not life #2.

• xxxtdubxxxxxxtdubxxx Member Posts: 16

Or play a console game, no horrible players there.

• MardyMardy Member Posts: 2,213
    Originally posted by TheFighter

The Arrogent, rude & agressive players.
    Why do people make it their job to be the above? The fact is, whilst online the amount of abuse flying about exceeds real life 4 fold. Is it really the case that some players feel they can get away with murder because they're behind a computer screen?
    Having a reasonable converstation here - Why do you think there are so many horrible players?

A few reasons..

1.  It's the internet!  Being anonymous allows a person to be anybody they want to be.

2.  Competition, it's part of multi-player games.

3.  Last but not least, people put up with them.  The general attitude that you can just put them on ignore and not read what they say, even though they're still saying things.  When people put up with it, and let the e-thugs rule a chat channel, things only get worse.

EQ1-AC1-DAOC-FFXI-L2-EQ2-WoW-DDO-GW-LoTR-VG-WAR-GW2-ESO

• greed0104greed0104 Member Posts: 2,134

The way I see it, a MMO or the internet in general is like a giant masquerade. People often hide behind the mask. They will say anything they want even if it's cruel or idiotic. In the end you will probably never meet these people, they don't care about impressions. How ever you do have people that have morals. They will apply the same standards they do in person on the internet. It just seems the "horrible" people are the majority. Either way I don't care, running into assholes on the internet should be a given, it requires no label on the box. With the amount of assholes you meet in person, you should expect it to ten fold on the internet.

Basically, people that can be anonymous are likely to say and do as they please.

• TheFighterTheFighter Member Posts: 90

Thing is, there is aggressive (competitive) which i would want more of, being an avid guildwars fan

Then there is the aggressive (FCUK YOU BITCH FCUKING CRYING QQ FAGGOT) which i want less of.

• TheFighterTheFighter Member Posts: 90
    Originally posted by Varny

Normally the gameplay encourages it like I havn't met a single nice person in EVE cause of how that game is setup. Though play Lotro (even though I hate that game) and you'll hardly ever bump into horrible people.

Thats strange, I've always had a better experience with players in EVE than anywhere else. The game fliters out the people who want mindless hack and slashing to the people who want to do more.

• greed0104greed0104 Member Posts: 2,134

Thing is, there is aggressive (competitive) which i would want more of, being an avid guildwars fan

Then there is the aggressive (FCUK YOU BITCH FCUKING CRYING QQ FAGGOT) which i want less of.

Well the first one is just players that enjoy competition for nothing more then fun, win or lose, they end it with a GG and walk away a happy person.

The second is something that will never go away. These people are the ones that complain about everything and never learned how to respond to another person like a human being. Odds are they was the silent angry kid in school. Now they have a tool to speak how they really feel. To be honest. These people don't bother me. I think they are kinda entertaining. I can't count the times I have done BGs in WoW, constantly kill somebody. And he makes a level 1 toon on my server to let me know how much of a loser I am for, I guess, killing him in PvP? Eh w/e it's a good laugh.

• FkinglinuxFkinglinux Member Posts: 156

By limiting the ability of players to play griefing faggish styles of gameplay, you also limit the ability of players to legitimately play evil characters who give you someone you love to hate, personally I'll take the good with the bad, contrary to Lum the Madass fatass vitriol filled rantings.