Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Three things that put me off the game.

VarnyVarny Member Posts: 765

1. Alot of the character models like Humans and Ogres are really reall ugly. In this picture I kept hitting randomize over and over and believe it or not this is one of the better looking it produced. I mean why havn't they gone back and changed them? The Asian models don't look great aswel.

http://img155.imageshack.us/img155/4144/everquest22009083122234.jpg

2. The world map shows a world and yet when traveling it was clicking on doors and clicking on bells. I mean that really ruins the game for me like Age of conan. Just look at this map and tell me why we can't just sail between the Islands? It's perfect to make the world seamless with a water/boat expansion. Cause when I look at this map I just think about sailing around these Islands and being attacked by sea creatures and living out at sea.

http://img57.imageshack.us/img57/6203/79721763.png

3. So many light servers... why? Surely you could merge them all into 5 or so heavily populated servers. I'm running around at low levels and theres noone around. Even on a Medium server I've seen one person so far and it feels dead. Also is there any reason to split up EU and US servers? Just merge them into one so you can choose whatever you want without having to switch the settings round on the Launchpad eachtime.

http://img299.imageshack.us/img299/3015/84079338.png

http://img299.imageshack.us/img299/6189/53771186.png

Comments

• demarc01demarc01 Member UncommonPosts: 429

1: Personal opinion. I dont find the models to be "that" bad.

2: Seamless world would be great sure, remember though this game is 5 years old so I dont think they had the tech back them to make the world look good and be seamless. It does not effect me too much in this game since the zones are pretty large, its not as bad as AoC at least.

3: This is why I dont play EQ2 anymore. Its a level based game and its 5  years old .. so basically 90%+ (figure pulled outta my arse but prob damm near accurate) of the population is at level cap. Its not a friendly game for new people. Your gonna miss ALOT of the content as you level simply b/c people dont run it anymore. This makes doing older HQ's etc very hard. Dont get me wrong leveling is easy enough .. your just gonna skip massive amounts of content b/c you cant find groups for it.

Then theres trying to get into a raid guild? Rough. Most guilds that are raiding T8 are pretty established (5 years old remember!) so actually trying to break into a guild is rough for new players. Of course theres no real growth in the game so there are no new guilds either .. kinda catch 22. No new guild so new players have a hard time breaking in ... hence they leave. Players leaving means no new guilds are formed. /shrug

EQ2 is a great game .. for me though its just too far into its life for me to try and break into it again (I was an old EQ2 player way back when :p )

• VarnyVarny Member Posts: 765

Well I think the graphics are pretty amazing I mean looking at the forums and grabbing screenshots....

http://img90.imageshack.us/img90/7278/eq2000047vk1.jpg

http://img213.imageshack.us/img213/6782/eq2000083jp4.jpg

http://img504.imageshack.us/img504/9618/eq2000096xf5l.jpg

http://img177.imageshack.us/img177/3034/everquest22009083122332.png

I juat think the servers need to be merged and the game needs to go Free to Play and the old world needs to be redone abit. Qeynos would be much better if it was seamless all the way through and that goes for Freeport. New quests and to make things more fun like get rid of the old Trial Island and start people off in the Major cities which grab your attension straight away. Spice up the classes by merging them together to make more interesting ones because right now they all seem very bland and it's hard to pic a class you think is fun. Improve lower level armour because when the game launched everyone complained about the armour and the lower levels hasvn't really changed.

It just needs life put back into it and some marketing like maybe a kool trailer like World of Warcraft gets. All SOE seem to do with their games is let them die slowly in the background and they never seem to do anything to try bring new players in. I mean they tried with SWG but that was the wrong way about doing in. SWG needed a new tutorial, not removing all the features and breaking the game.

Just look at them Screenshots and look what we have today there isn't an mmorpg out there that can compete with that, infact the graphics have just gone backwards if anything.

• CoderCoder Member UncommonPosts: 63

Lol, you took the worst of the worst to show, human female in original model. Ask anyone in game that has been around a while and they will let you know that human females are probably the worst looking model. Male humans doesn't look much better either.

As for making the game seamless, that means SoE would have to work some more on the game engine and as you pointed out the servers are not exactly packed with subscribers, so who will pay? Also, at launch there was not that many bells, doors and other possibilites to zone to any zone. This was put in by request of the players that are too lazy to run anywhere, 5-10 min to get anywhere was to much for them I guess.

As for merging the servers, even if they did I doubt you would find many people to group with in the lower levels, most people are at level cap or close. SoE also gets alot of players angry when they merge servers cause noone wants to move to someone elses server.

Classes are bland? Yes, maybe the first couple of levels but once you get further along there are many differences. I play an Inquisitor and they are not even close to Templars, both are Clerics so they have some similarities.

Bland classes pretty much applies to most MMOs in the first couple of levels.

• Kasar99Kasar99 Member Posts: 2

I complained on the official forums with DoF and later about the lack of marketing and distribution.  I got a few replies, but when I pointed out specific chain stores that didn't have it available, that was the end of the conversation.

I'm not sure they could really hold a substantial influx of actual new players at this point.  The old world zones are so different than the rest, the good vs. evil city tension's been diluted, and there are entire tiers you can go through without seeing anyone else.  A few new players is one thing, someone will PL them or drag them through an HQ or something if they're trying to level a guild, especially with the new level system coming, but without assistance, soloing in an MMORPG, in spite of what SOE seems to think, is boring to most people. 

It would really take some serious revamping to make the questlines and progression seamless, but nobody's really concerned with that since the level curve's so heavily at the top, with many players having multiple max level characters.

In spite of their making everything soloable, I'm not sure I'd play long if I were exploring Antonica alone for the first time today.

• ArcanthisArcanthis Member Posts: 8

The thing I like least is the continual focus on paid expansions increasing the size of the world. I think this has been detrimental to the game because as the play area has grown the population has not increased with it, in fact it has dwindled. So now we have a game world that feels dead to new players after the initial gloss has worn off.

Obviously paid expansions are pulling in enough cash to make them worthwhile milking, but I would love to see them put the same time and effort into regularly updating the existing world look, feel and content to create a more dynamic experience. I like to think this would keep more people playing.

• skeaserskeaser Member RarePosts: 4,181

1. That toon is ugly, there are much better, however.

2. Personal preference, can't argue.

3. At prime time at least half the servers are medium load. This is as of when I looked yesterday.

Edit:

Here's a SS I just took. Quick decent looking human female, also, notice the server pops.

Sig so that badges don't eat my posts.

• armengararmengar Member UncommonPosts: 51

1. myth group lf tank

2. myth group lf dps

3. myth group lf healer

after a couple days of lfg(fabeled epic only) of 8+ hrs of no hits on all my chars, decided to delete my chars

remake them as level 1's with the same names and delete those

• VarnyVarny Member Posts: 765
    Originally posted by skeaser

3. At prime time at least half the servers are medium load. This is as of when I looked yesterday.
    Edit:
    Here's a SS I just took. Quick decent looking human female, also, notice the server pops.

That Human still looks ugly as hell, I don't get how you can say it looks good?

And I took my screenshot last week at 8PM EST. Every time I've looked into the game they've always been mostly light.

Besides Medium is nothing to be proud of anyways you want them all running Heavy.

I can argue because the current world design feels like a mess like theres no structure. Make it feel like a world instead of a series of instances cause not only does that not feel natural but it makes it harder for new players to work out where the hell you go to.

• skeaserskeaser Member RarePosts: 4,181
    Originally posted by Varny

Originally posted by skeaser

Edit:

That Human still looks ugly as hell, I don't get how you can say it looks good?

And I took my screenshot last week at 8PM EST. Every time I've looked into the game they've always been mostly light.

Besides Medium is nothing to be proud of anyways you want them all running Heavy.

I can argue because the current world design feels like a mess like theres no structure. Make it feel like a world instead of a series of instances cause not only does that not feel natural but it makes it harder for new players to work out where the hell you go to.

Said she looked decent, not good, your example was horrendous.

You said they are always light, I showed that they hit medium and one heavy.

I didn't mean you can't argue, what I was saying is that I'm not going to argue the world design point because it's a matter of personal preference. It doesn't bother me and others but it does bother you and others, no point to me trying to change your mind.

Sig so that badges don't eat my posts.

• liquescentliquescent Member UncommonPosts: 145
  • BuzWeaverBuzWeaver Member UncommonPosts: 978

The Iksar and Kerra never set well with me. They both look anemic and lanky. I liked how the Iksar and Vah Shir looked in EQ, they were a lot more robust and stout.

The Old Timers Guild
    Laid back, not so serious, no drama.
    All about the fun!

www.oldtimersguild.com
    An opinion should be the result of thought, not a substitute for it. - Jef Mallett

• locfordlocford Member UncommonPosts: 28

I started EQ2 because it was the only decent game at the time I could download (no stores here carry any MMORPGS cept WOW). Now for my gripes.

1. With the latest dungeons, almost always, groups want a perfect group to go in. If you are lucky enough to find a guild that will let you run some dongeons, you are fortunate. BTW, the same people are often seen bitching cause they are bored after breezing through the DD, Hot Zones, etd.

2. The aggorance of SOE. Several games I have played give you the opportunity to play virtually every class, while pehaps not on the same server, it is a nice change of pace when you reach the higher levels and cant find a group or just feel burnt out. To me this would not only help the problem of lower levels finding a group, but might just keep people from leaving the game.  I suppose it is all about trying to get people to pay more for Station Access.

3. Stupid faction quests. I will use Order of the Rime as an example. You go through a multiude of quests to be able to start building faction, only to find that the quests are stupid kill xx mobs for measely faction, quests that one would expect in a beginner zone.

Finally, despite the items above, I do enjoy the game. However, when you find your lvl 80 is basically unwanted in groups and you have spent a great deal of time leveling a tradeskill,  it makes it difficult to just delete a toon and start over with something that might be better at getting groups. Yes, I know if you spend a lot of time spaming you will eventually get a group. For one last bitch, the end of the Fury Mythical really sucks, lol.

• drbaltazardrbaltazar Member UncommonPosts: 7,856

mm imagine here staring at you while you pass (yes the do follow your every move like your suspicious or something ,makes me lol everytime i pass an npc in a city and they whatch my everymove like my ex lol so funy 

oh love this game way harder then wow but way better then wow more evolved and polished

if you got all the bell and whisle on you comp yes even physicx  do try this game it looks gorgeous 

i can only run it at high (no physicx )and i looks insanely nice 

make sure to  disable anti aliasing or the other lol can never recall wich 

i dont beleive there are computer yet that can run everything at max with 1680 X1050 but i could be wrong