Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Instance scale?

iZakaroNiZakaroN Member UncommonPosts: 719

First try to read my entire post carefully, before replay.

in fact I'm sandbox game play fan. Second I like hack and slash games. WoW is something between both. It have much more complexity than hack&slash game and much more restriction than sandbox game. I have played WoW for more than 2 years in total up to now, but In practice it do not satisfy my taste completely in many aspects.

Now have tried Dungeon Runners and it looks I like it is really relaxing and not very binding game. In fact I like 2 aspects that are very near to the WoW game play: item grind and simplified game play, but there is something that make me ask the question what I like more about that aspects in DR than WoW, even WoW is in times more polished and have much more various game play. I think its exactly Instance scale.

And Here come the main point of the thread:

In DR every instance can be played by different number of players. Instance difficulty depend of the number of players and the difficulty the party leader have selected. Then depending of the difficulty of the dungeon the item drop is scaled equally. The difficulty is something like Normal and Heroic but with additional 3 difficulty levels between them.

I think this system will work great in WoW. Because the following facts:

1. It will satisfy main point of the WoW: every content to be accessible for every one even more than its now.

2. It will give more freedom to the game:

a. you can do any instance with 1-5, 1-10 or 1-25 party members, and never loose time waiting for last few members.

b. jump directly into action and learn current raid instances while waiting for more guild members to come with 5, 3 or even alone into Nax.

3. Play old instances in Impossible mode.

I know there is one great conflict with WoW mechanics: WoW have predefined items till DR have random stats items, so its not clear how item drop scale can be implemented in WoW, but try to abstract about that (and even discuss possible solutions) and answer to following Pool:

Where themepark games try to hide that they are copying WOW, games like Mortal Online and Darkfall make no attempt to hide their inspiration
______\m/_____
LordOfDarkDesire

Comments

• arctarusarctarus Member UncommonPosts: 2,581

Personally i definitely like the idea of scalable instances. I can just hope into it with my buddy and have a good time. And of course i truly hope that WoW will implement it soon, but right now i dont see it coming.

Reason being that dailies will keep players playing longer, the longer the grind the longer you will have to pay for your subs...

Just my view...

RIP Orc Choppa

• desecratedesecrate Member Posts: 75

you know thats a really good idea and would be awsome if wow could do it

• iZakaroNiZakaroN Member UncommonPosts: 719
    Originally posted by Zorndorf

I said it in another thread. Yesterday I needed 7 minutes to enter my server. Waiting queues on a lot of PvP servers in mid summer.
    Not even talking about the "no additiaonal instances can be launched".
    ---------
    I think that Blizzard with the new clustered servers for dungeons (patch 3.3) is not needing this mechanic.
    Since you would go for a dungeon LFG mechanic with tens of thousands of other players on all those servers, every level dungeon will start in a few minutes/seconds time as of patch 3.3 (and Cat launch).
    You do the "dungeons while leveling mechanic" is a great thing added with these new group of servers.
    And IF - for some reason - you would want to run a particular level X dungeon  10 times for your character, you could just shut up experience now.
    So clearly Blizzard choose another solution, wihout the need to retouch the mechanics: server clusters: everything spawns on the appropriate planned level.

I remember times when WoW was released and there was queues over 40 min and even over 1 hour sometimes. In top of that there was some crashes and there was no server position save so crash=no play for another 40 min. Every day my wife have to login into the game and keep me not afk so I can play when I come home from work.

Can you feel now that your 7 min queue time is nothing but just time to get some toilet and do a bit homework?

----

Yes maybe you are right but not everybody like and go PUGs so the system still can have many fans...

Where themepark games try to hide that they are copying WOW, games like Mortal Online and Darkfall make no attempt to hide their inspiration
    ______\m/_____
    LordOfDarkDesire
  • SkuddSkudd Member Posts: 129

While i do like your idea i was actually wondering why Blizz did not impliment Diablo 3's loot system. A system where each player in a group gets loot after a boss they killied. The quality of the item scales with the difficulty of the boss killed (5/10/25). You can also tweak the droprate to reward a bag of gold, rare profession item, etc. so you dont have people running around with full sets of gear just after a few runs.

When dropped, the item is automatically assigned to the player and through phasing only that player can see the item (so no ninja'ing). This also does away with the time taken (or again the ninja factor) to roll for loot. Later, should the player want, he can trade the item with someone else who was in the same group.  No dkp or other crap required.

Add this to your scaling instance idea and you have a winning combo for dungeon running. Too bad either idea wont see the light of day, well atleast in WoW. 

Edit : fixed typos   

"It is my opinion, that my opinions are always right"

• iZakaroNiZakaroN Member UncommonPosts: 719
    Originally posted by Skudd

While i do like your idea i was actually wondering why Blizz did not impliment Diablo 3's loot system. A system where each player in a group gets loot after a boss they killied. The quality of the item scales with the difficulty of the boss killed (5/10/25). You can also tweak the droprate to reward a bag of gold, rare profession item, etc. so you dont have people running around with full sets of gear just after a few runs.

When dropped item is automatically assigned to the player and through phasing only that player can see the item (so no ninja'ing). This also does away with the time taken (or again the ninja factor) to roll for loot. Later should the player want, he can trade the itme with someone else who was in the same group.  No dkp or other crap required.

Add this to your scaling instance idea and you have a winning combo for dungeon running. Too bad either idea wont see the light of day, well atleast in WoW. 

Together with random item stats WoW concept will change a lot. Maybe I just dream about Diablo Online :(. DR is practically crapped version of it :(

______\m/_____
    LordOfDarkDesire
  • SkuddSkudd Member Posts: 129
    Originally posted by iZakaroN

Together with random item stats WoW concept will change a lot. Maybe I just dream about Diablo Online :(. DR is practically crapped version of it :(

Well you will get Diablo Online with Diablo 3. Its been confirmed that Battle.net will be free to play. It just wont be on the same scale as WoW since the max members you can have in your party with Diablo 3 is 6.  

"It is my opinion, that my opinions are always right"