Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Call me crazy but... I would rather it be P2P

KryptyKrypty Member UncommonPosts: 454

I know people will disagree, but am I the only one who actually wants this to have a monthly fee? I mean, even if they make it $5 or $10 rather than the general $15. I know this wont be a popular thought, but I always am willing to pay more if it means the company will be able to afford to GIVE more.

Comments

• Shoko_LiedShoko_Lied Member UncommonPosts: 2,193

You will still half to buy the initial product like GW1. But yeah, just like GW1, I don't see how they will be able to keep up with awsome consistant content like P2P companies. But yeah, even if they only charged like a $2 or $3 monthly fee, that would be enough to add in alot more content in the long run.

• Justin83xJustin83x Member Posts: 406

I actually agree with you i think it would be fine paying like 5 bucks or so for gw2 so they can stay move competitive but i think they lost me anyway to aion.

• seeyouspacec0wboyseeyouspacec0wboy Member UncommonPosts: 714

GW had more than enough updates, especially in its prime. And it had some very solid expansions. GW2 will have even more because of the revenue theyve made off of GW, as well as all of the other plaync revenue.

Originally posted by Scagweed22
    is it the graphics? the repetativenesses? i mean what is the point? you could be so much more productive in real life
    Real life brings repetition and pointlessness too. The only thing real life offers is Great graphics. Its kinda expensive too and way to dependent on the cash shop. Totally pay to win as well. No thank you. Ill stick to my games.

• AbrahmmAbrahmm Member Posts: 2,448

The only reason I wouldn't mind a monthly fee would be if it ensured that the item shop wouldn't creep further and further into the game. I never minded the PvP skill unlocks or the extra character slots costing money, but I thought the in game storage pushed it a bit.

Tried: LotR, CoH, AoC, WAR, Jumpgate Classic
    Played: SWG, Guild Wars, WoW
    Playing: Eve Online, Counter-strike
    Loved: Star Wars Galaxies
    Waiting for: Earthrise, Guild Wars 2, anything sandbox.

• ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690

If the Guild Wars franchise would go p2p there would be a mutiny. Though it looks like they will be raising money with book sales and I am sure they will keep on adding to the Guild Wars store. I'm 100% positive Arenanet will give us great bang for our buck and another quality game. Nothing to worry about!

• GrubbsGradyGrubbsGrady Member UncommonPosts: 371

I agree with you OP, that is something keeping me from looking forward to GW2 as my next solid MMO. The monthly fee makes content updates much more promising than having the game f2p. f2p games just aren't something I have had any fun with in the past...they seem to have much more griefers in them also since anyone can just pick it up and start going without having to actually make some sort of commitment to a payment.

Still, we can hope that they listen to us and will throw in some sort of a monthly fee!

• majinantmajinant Member UncommonPosts: 418

They will not make it p2p. It would go against what they believe. One of the reasons they left blizzard and made Guild Wars because they didn't agree with making WoW p2p!

• MrPhireMrPhire Member Posts: 212

My opinion is that GW2 would definitly be interesting seeing with a P2P system. I personally believe the reason P2P>F2P is that Devs pay more attention to detail, and the gm's get paid more so they end up paying more attention as well. Umm I'm not sure if GW2 will have GMs, mainly cause I don't remember GW1 having them. Just Gaile.

Umm now at the person who said it'd be against what they believed in give me some proof. Blizzard's original WoW dev team were people from EQ and a couple from Games Workshop. Both creating games that were ./gasp P2P. I have never heard A-Net aka NCsoft west ever having many from Blizz.. Of course i could be wrong, but hey it was there own choice to loose a big paycheck. Considering most people in the buisness don't leave because of something as silly as "Ohh they're not gunna make the game free to the players, but we get a bigger check." the world is fueled by greed and I don't think many people would stray away from blizzard without being told the project is yours and you get all the credit. So yeah..

Playing: Guild Wars and Exteel
    Loved: WoW, Guild Wars, FFXI, and Lineage 2
    Liked: Exteel, WAR, and Lineage 1
    Hated:City of Heroes, City of Villians, Matrix Online, Runescape, and D&D Online.
    Waiting For: Aion, Guild Wars 2, FFXIV, and SW:TOR

You are right. The devs didn't pay very much attention to detail in Guild Wars... /sarcasm

• aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135

While it's not a P2P system, I wouldn't mistakenly assume that means no content. GW1 showed us this (and everyone laughed at that before it happened too). They've found numerous ways to subsidize revenue through other channels.

They have a store, which sells mostly cosmetic  / story-based content to allow people to enjoy the game without really having an upper-hand. On top of this, they are very consistant with expansions, and are able to make a lot of money off them (even though not everyone buys them, most people do).

While I wouldn't mind paying 5-15$ either for a monthly fee, I think you'll be more than happy with the content they'll be able to deliver, if the game delivers like it's predecessor.

Guild Wars is the first game created by developer ArenaNet. Senior developers from Blizzard Entertainment, some involved in the early development of World of Warcraft, left to create ArenaNet to develop a game which took risks with game design and business model. Guild Wars development was first announced in April 2003. Guild Wars Prophecies, initially marketed simply as Guild Wars, was released in April 2005. Sorrow's Furnace added further playable content to Prophecies in September 2005. Guild Wars Factions was released exactly a year after Prophecies in April 2006 followed six months later by Guild Wars Nightfall in October 2006. A fourth campaign was in development, but after reviewing feedback from fans and the sort of changes they wanted to make, ArenaNet elected to focus on an expansion pack, Guild Wars: Eye of the North, released in August 2007, and Guild Wars 2.

Guild Wars development began in an environment following the release of EverQuest when a number of new MMORPGs were announced. ArenaNet positioned Guild Wars in a niche in this landscape, offering unlimited gametime without subscription fees. ArenaNet believed that players would not pay subscription fees for every online game they play and that paying a fee would cause players to make a "lifestyle commitment" to a particular game, rather than the usual behaviour of playing many different games and switching between them. Jeff Strain, a founder of ArenaNet, said, "It is our opinion that the free online gaming model combined with frequent content updates is the optimum online paradigm for interfacing with consumers and creating a significant, enduring gaming franchise."

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guild_Wars_(series)  Also, before you QQ about wiki all the sources for that are at the bottom of the page!

• MrPhireMrPhire Member Posts: 212
    Originally posted by majinant

You are right. The devs didn't pay very much attention to detail in Guild Wars... /sarcasm

They didn't. The amount of detail that went into the majority of the patches were all cosmetic. Or to stop botters, gold farmers, or make the game a bit harder. Nothing the devs did actually changed specific features while the game was running. Yes expansions updated this, but I personally don't want to wait 3-9 months for something to get fixed. I loved how A-Net loved to limit gold farming by making everyone suffer though. They reduced drops in specific areas, they limited the amount of specific item's to drop *cough*ecto etc*cough*, they really didn't *pay attention* to detail in Guild Wars. If the game was P2P i could nearly guarentee that there would be updates weekly or at least monthly to fix and patch in game glitches and issues. Or at least fix some flaws in the design.

--Please link source to the above info. And tell me when they left compared to the WoW release. Because if they left before WAR's original concepts were concieved, WoW wasn't even in motion. It was still on a board. I don't deny Blizzard employees may have joined A-Net, mainly because then WoW wasn't heard or though of and they had no clue were they were going.

Im not a Blizzard or WoW fanboy. I love GW just so you know. But it has major flaws. If you deny that, your blinded.

Playing: Guild Wars and Exteel
    Loved: WoW, Guild Wars, FFXI, and Lineage 2
    Liked: Exteel, WAR, and Lineage 1
    Hated:City of Heroes, City of Villians, Matrix Online, Runescape, and D&D Online.
    Waiting For: Aion, Guild Wars 2, FFXIV, and SW:TOR

They would have known that wow was going to be big, maybe not as big as it is, but big. They helped develop WCIII and D2... they knew!

• illyanaillyana Member UncommonPosts: 614

paying a subscription doesnt always mean better service, more content, a better game
    we can all point at some MMOs that have subs but have below average service, content and gameplay

ANET and its founders wants to prove to everyone that players *dont have to pay a monthly fee* to get a quality MMO. that their company can generate more than enough revenue to produce expansions or sequels or add new content, without having a subscription based game

GW1 is a prime example of this. ANET has proven it can be done. Unfortunately most other companies are too greedy to follow their example and wants to be the next WoW, in terms of income generation

again, free-to-play doesnt mean less content and subpar service, at least with GW and ANET is concerned

Have fun storming the castle! - Miracle Max

• grubgrub Member Posts: 7

When you design a MMORPG from the scratch, the first thing you decide whether its P2P or not, and when you choose the P2P there will be more content.

Like 100x kill 50 rats with different suits, so the player will have to stay as long as possible with the game (and pay the monthly fee).

I personally like this kind of content where one level takes few days, it's as rewarding as my job at waste management.

• QuirhidQuirhid Member UncommonPosts: 6,230
    Originally posted by illyana

paying a subscription doesnt always mean better service, more content, a better game

we can all point at some MMOs that have subs but have below average service, content and gameplay
    ANET and its founders wants to prove to everyone that players *dont have to pay a monthly fee* to get a quality MMO. that their company can generate more than enough revenue to produce expansions or sequels or add new content, without having a subscription based game
    GW1 is a prime example of this. ANET has proven it can be done. Unfortunately most other companies are too greedy to follow their example and wants to be the next WoW, in terms of income generation
    again, free-to-play doesnt mean less content and subpar service, at least with GW and ANET is concerned

QFT.

In P2P games, the devs have a motivation to promote grind. GRIND. A game which does NOT include grind and concentrates on actual content doesn't need to be P2P. P2P you keep playing, and keep paying, ever more only to hope that some good comes by when in fact the game was designed so that you would waste the most amount of time playing it. It is however a careful balance not to make the player bored and quit the game while doing so. Others are more easily amused. That is why some people play grind games.

With a game which has a normal payment model such as GW. The devs are motivated to make a good game so they can sell the next expansion. See the difference? Some are good and some are long. Quality or quantity? I prefer the first.

I skate to where the puck is going to be, not where it has been -Wayne Gretzky

• QuirhidQuirhid Member UncommonPosts: 6,230
    Originally posted by MrPhire

Originally posted by majinant

They didn't. The amount of detail that went into the majority of the patches were all cosmetic. Or to stop botters, gold farmers, or make the game a bit harder. Nothing the devs did actually changed specific features while the game was running. Yes expansions updated this, but I personally don't want to wait 3-9 months for something to get fixed. I loved how A-Net loved to limit gold farming by making everyone suffer though. They reduced drops in specific areas, they limited the amount of specific item's to drop *cough*ecto etc*cough*, they really didn't *pay attention* to detail in Guild Wars. If the game was P2P i could nearly guarentee that there would be updates weekly or at least monthly to fix and patch in game glitches and issues. Or at least fix some flaws in the design.

--Please link source to the above info. And tell me when they left compared to the WoW release. Because if they left before WAR's original concepts were concieved, WoW wasn't even in motion. It was still on a board. I don't deny Blizzard employees may have joined A-Net, mainly because then WoW wasn't heard or though of and they had no clue were they were going.

Im not a Blizzard or WoW fanboy. I love GW just so you know. But it has major flaws. If you deny that, your blinded.

GW did have a number of flaws but they were so fundamental that they could not be just simply be "fixed". Hence the sequel.

I don't know where your experiences come from but while I was actively playing GW, there were patches and updates, weekly, some times twice a day. Nevertheless I regard GW to be more detailed, more polished than 95% of the games.

For example: Jeff Strain was one of the lead programmers on WoW and what I've come to know is that they didn't want to make WoW like it is now. So they quit. They wanted to make their own game. A game which they themselves would like to play. That is partly why I admire the Anet guys because they aren't solely in it for the money, but to make their ideal game come true. It is only fortunate that so many people agree with them and buy their game.

I skate to where the puck is going to be, not where it has been -Wayne Gretzky

• silenossilenos Member Posts: 116

i cannot afford monthly fee. USA dollar costs a lot in my country. (this is why i prefer free MMOs). i'll save up for the game, of course, i like it... (i only have nightfall, i can't afford all the GW games). but yeah, i would NEVER spend $10+ on pixels every month! that's ridiculous. school just started for kids, we need clothes and food to eat. pixels are not that important. so if it becomes p2p, i have to forget GW2 :(

I want to reborn as a Sylvari.

Originally posted by silenos

i cannot afford monthly fee. USA dollar costs a lot in my country. (this is why i prefer free MMOs). i'll save up for the game, of course, i like it... (i only have nightfall, i can't afford all the GW games). but yeah, i would NEVER spend $10+ on pixels every month! that's ridiculous. school just started for kids, we need clothes and food to eat. pixels are not that important. so if it becomes p2p, i have to forget GW2 :(

There is no "if" about it. This thread is pointless as they have already stated that it will be free to play!

• SwaneaSwanea Member UncommonPosts: 2,401

Yeah, they did state it will be F2P...I just wonder if the store will...expand...

Originally posted by Swanea

Yeah, they did state it will be F2P...I just wonder if the store will...expand...

Sorry for not understanding, :( but what do you mean by this?

• iZakaroNiZakaroN Member UncommonPosts: 719
    Originally posted by gameguy369

I know people will disagree, but am I the only one who actually wants this to have a monthly fee? I mean, even if they make it $5 or $10 rather than the general $15. I know this wont be a popular thought, but I always am willing to pay more if it means the company will be able to afford to GIVE more.

You know that its not proportional how much is the profit about the game and how much the company invest in the game. See "best MMO" ever for reference. See EvE online for another.

I personally think paying system like EvE can be much more successful but paying only the game is also much more than enough profit to support a game with so much possible players.

PS: Somewhere was info that GW1 have around 5M active players. Lets count that there are few expansions and there are many peoples that bought game but are not active anymore we can say that there are at least 2-3 times more copies sold (including xpack) that mean 10-15M x40$ average, that make 400-600M profit. Isnt that enough to support a MMO?

PS2: WoW have ~10m subs, that make 150M a month as rofit without sold copies. Do you think that Blizzard even use the half to support the game? I think its more typically like 10-15 at absolutely max.

Where themepark games try to hide that they are copying WOW, games like Mortal Online and Darkfall make no attempt to hide their inspiration
    ______\m/_____
    LordOfDarkDesire
  • drbaltazardrbaltazar Member UncommonPosts: 7,856
    Originally posted by gameguy369

mm!if you  had asked me this when gw1 was out i would have said no way! but seeing now whats happening slowly to gw1 

i got a say your right 5 dollars a month is needed on this game.

why would i want to pay 5 $ you ll ask first and foremost for the event gw1 bring

if you ever participated in gw pvp event you know what i m talking about they gave money,fame the whole nine yard

they used to release  new content often enough the model made sense but now since gw2, they stopped making new expension for gw1

so my view,if you dont want a freaking good game like gw or gw2 to die,its best to pay a bit to make sure that happen 

2$,4$,6$ who knows how much but enough to garanti the continuity of those pvp fight we re so fond of .and all the game has to offer

• KenaoshiKenaoshi Member UncommonPosts: 1,022

sorry OP but u should not underistimate arena.net

source: https://secure.ncsoft.com/cgi-bin/Store.pl?action=toggleCategory&mode=open&category=4

Guild Wars Game of The Year

Faction

NightFall

Eye of The north

Bonus Mission Pack

Skill Unlock packs

Pet Pack

isnt that enought content to you? O.o

now: GW2 (11 80s).
    Dark Souls 2.
    future: Mount&Blade 2 BannerLord.
    "Bro, do your even fractal?"
    Recommends: Guild Wars 2, Dark Souls, Mount&Blade: Warband, Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning.

• drbaltazardrbaltazar Member UncommonPosts: 7,856
    Originally posted by MrPhire

My opinion is that GW2 would definitly be interesting seeing with a P2P system. I personally believe the reason P2P>F2P is that Devs pay more attention to detail, and the gm's get paid more so they end up paying more attention as well. Umm I'm not sure if GW2 will have GMs, mainly cause I don't remember GW1 having them. Just Gaile.

Umm now at the person who said it'd be against what they believed in give me some proof. Blizzard's original WoW dev team were people from EQ and a couple from Games Workshop. Both creating games that were ./gasp P2P. I have never heard A-Net aka NCsoft west ever having many from Blizz.. Of course i could be wrong, but hey it was there own choice to loose a big paycheck. Considering most people in the buisness don't leave because of something as silly as "Ohh they're not gunna make the game free to the players, but we get a bigger check." the world is fueled by greed and I don't think many people would stray away from blizzard without being told the project is yours and you get all the credit. So yeah..

mm ,if it was just for polish , i would say stay like this.but pvp event and expension cost something to buid or continue

so for  pvp event and expension and no more micro-transaction to finance non needed stuff like extra storage amd if they offer those  put in the the monthly fee thing instead