Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Healing/Damage meters make people play like garbage.

2»

Comments

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Originally posted by demarc01

Originally posted by nariusseldon

Originally posted by Leucent

Originally posted by Xiaoki

The meters are a tool that you can use to help improve yourself and your guild.
    With the meters I can check on DPS that is underperforming
    I can check on tanks taking damage that they shouldnt be
    I can check on dispells and interrupts, who is doing it and who isnt
    I can check on who is healing who and by how much
    I can check what damage people are taking that is avoidable
    Spamming the meters is not good practice and neither is using them for DPS contests. However, whats also not good is a level 80 Rogue doing 800 DPS in full epic gear. Whats not good is a tank dying because he didnt get any heals for 5 seconds. Whats not good is people standing in poison clouds.
    Like any tool, damage/healing meters are only good when properly used. If you use a hammer as a saw the results will be bad.

See here in lies the problem. Back in the day when there were no meters, people played the game for fun, would learn from mistakes etc. Now people are all about how they can outperform everyone else. There is no need for such a tool in a game, IMO, because were all there to have fun and adapt to situations to make the experience better. It makes it all about me me me not us and that is a big problem with these meters IMO.

If the boss enrages and everyone dies, how do you learn from teh mistake when you don't know which DPS who is not doing their rotation right and cause the wipe?

You simply don't have the information to learn from mistakes and meters help with that.

And from all i have seen, no one gets kicked out of a raid unless he/she is doing really badly (like doing 1/2 or 1/3 what others are doing). And if someone is diong so badly, the raid leader needs to know.

Just a quick point.

Yes the raid leader needs to know (unfortunatly WoW has gotten to the point that devs "expect" you to use meters and code encounters with that in mind)

What happens next determines if your raid leader is a good one or a douche.

A douche will kick the person and tell them to "L2P nub"

A good raid leader will work with that member and help them improve so they are viable for the raid.

Seems like your raid leader is a good one since you say they dont kick anyone unless they are doing "really badly* which is kewl. I've known alot of douchebags though in WoW. Personally I was seldom in that position b/c I did'ent accept very undergeared people into progression raids, Some seen it as me being and elitest prick .. most did'ent though since I was always more than willing to take those people to "on-farm" raids or help them with instance runs etc to gear up and be viable.

All i am saying is that the information is useful. You are better off knowing it then not. No one says one would make decisions based on it ALONE, nor be mean because of it.

We carry about new, lowly geared members thru dungeons to gear them up too. We do use meters to see how everyone is doing, but not necessarily use it to kick people (particularly we dont kick guildies).

It is silly to get rid of a useful tool just because some people are dicks using it .. they are dicks anyway with or without dps/health meters.

Originally posted by haratu

When I used to play I had a main that was a warlock, i was often critiqued for not taking the highest dps spec for my warlock... however when it came to the damage meters on bosses I was often higher. Why would that be so?
    Well it is quite simple really... I didn't die as much.
    Doesn't matter how much DPS you say you got, if you are dead you have 0 DPS.

And how would people know of your superior strategy (staying alive) to do more damage without a damage meter?

• Tedly224Tedly224 Member Posts: 164

Children with DPS and Healing meters and going crazy to reach the top of the list play like garbage.

Adults using DPS and Healing meters as tools to review performance and ability meanwhile play the game well.

Example 1 - When Wrath of the Lich King launched and people were hitting Heroics, there were tons of questions being asked by players in the DPS role involving "what is good DPS?". People collected gear, tried out different specs and gear to support the spec, compared numbers, and came up with good answers.

When I made a Death Knight (brand new class at the time) and went to hit my first Heroic, I did some research, did my own testing, and hit 2,100 DPS using a blood spec with a good rotation, sufficient gear, and good timing. Nothing super great, but at the time it was noteworthy as being more than okay damage - And the DPS meter helped me out a lot with tests in prepping.

As a Bear Tank, I would join PUG's with DPS pulling 1,100 - 1,400 DPS and as the Tank I'd be hitting 17-1800, depending. The DPS meter let me know at the end of the run who was doing their job and who I could safely avoid for future groups.

Example 2 - A raid is in progress and there's trouble with a couple of the encounters and healing provided. Is one or more of the raid healers spending too much time in whispers / private sends and missing their timing with heals? Was one of them AFK entirely through an encounter? The Healing Meter will tell the story and let you know.

It's a no brainer. What you described with the first post is dead on and a waste of a good tool. But as long as people code good meters for games, I'll continue to use them for their intended purpose.

• ZtekanZtekan Member Posts: 261

Indeed , a DPS meter is not very good at all.

When i play i see ppl stay in poison cloud just to get there hand on the mob just to raise there DPS.

Like when i do TOC HC, 3 melee stand in the posion and noone moves , just to get more DPS .

In this case i had to heal so much that my mana ran out pretty quick , "354 MP5" and the posion is ticking on 5k each on the 3 melee ,

All died , i got 2 tells , "Dude Heal better", in this case i just left , and tried it later with my IRL friends over Teamspeak, much better.

And there are 10000000 exaples of ppl doing wrong just to get more DPS , like not killing the none elite mob  that are buggin the healer , Becouse that would be so bad for my DPS recount.

Do like i do , play with guildies , over Teamspeak, solves all the problem,

www.thedon.se

System Specc
    Intel I7 4770K 3,5 ghz
    16Gb RAM 1600 mhz
    Nvidia GTX 780

• Omega3Omega3 Member Posts: 398
    Originally posted by Remii718

I'm sure you've all seen this situation before. You run a heroic or raid and the DPS is trying so hard to one up eachother that they pull aggro and make a tanks and healers life hell or after a flawless encounter there is always one idiot healer complaining about overheals.

People need to focus more on the actual game and shut down those meters already. Who gives a shit what the Dps meters say if a boss dies fast and the tank kept aggro? Who cares how much overhealing was on a boss fight if noone died and healers still had mana when the boss died?

Right now you have Dps pulling aggro since Dps threat with all this new gear is actually catching Tanks Op AoE threat and you have healers letting players die because they're afraid to overheal.

I think wows pve would be a much better experience for everyone if blizzard just took away the modders ability to make Dps/healing meters.

Think about it, Dps would watch aggro and not get caught in stupid gas clouds and healers would actually keep players topped off.

Oh well, maybe in a perfect world.

The whole addons thing from WoW is a fun-killer: instead of playing the game, players spend most of their times looking at numbers and performance.

Yet i doubt that any serious PvE raiding guild would now accept to play without addons on a MMORPG...

I remember in EQ there was a dps meter functioning trough the use of a "log" in the game directory, but it was offline and i think much more acceptable.

My addiction History:
    >> EQ1 2000-2004 - Shaman/Bard/Wizard/Monk - nolife raid-whore
    >> WoW 2004-2009 + Cataclysm for 2 months - hardcore casual
    >> Current status : done with MMO, too old for that crap.

• XiaokiXiaoki Member EpicPosts: 3,848

Originally posted by Ztekan
    When i play i see ppl stay in poison cloud just to get there hand on the mob just to raise there DPS.
    Like when i do TOC HC, 3 melee stand in the posion and noone moves , just to get more DPS .

In this case i had to heal so much that my mana ran out pretty quick , "354 MP5" and the posion is ticking on 5k each on the 3 melee ,
    All died , i got 2 tells , "Dude Heal better", in this case i just left , and tried it later with my IRL friends over Teamspeak, much better.
    And there are 10000000 exaples of ppl doing wrong just to get more DPS , like not killing the none elite mob  that are buggin the healer , Becouse that would be so bad for my DPS recount.

www.thedon.se

Sounds more like a problem of people being idiots.
    Guess what, those idiots would still be idiots if they didnt have DPS meters.

No add on or lack thereof is going to fix that problem.

• XasapisXasapis Member RarePosts: 6,337

Well, healing meters wars are only decent when the fight is relatively relaxed and you just want to goof around. In general terms it's a tool that gives certain indications, it's definitely not an absolute tool. It's also something that's relatively easy to manipulate, although that too indicates a certain knowledge of the game and its mechanics. Overall, I'd use them as a statistical tools, ie make a hypothesis and then see if the data confirm it.

I remember not having many grieving issues in my former guild as far as healing was concerned. But that was due to the council consisting mainly of healers, which made us less than ideal scape goats.

Edit: Oh, and I was also an advocate of the hard love approach, ie, I would purposely let you die if you consistently doing the same mistake which resulted in taking unnecessary damage. Some people may not like that, instead they would rather draw healing aggro from overextending themselves trying to help others. This works in WoW in most non boss encounters, doesn't however work in other games.

Originally posted by Omega3

I'm sure you've all seen this situation before. You run a heroic or raid and the DPS is trying so hard to one up eachother that they pull aggro and make a tanks and healers life hell or after a flawless encounter there is always one idiot healer complaining about overheals.

People need to focus more on the actual game and shut down those meters already. Who gives a shit what the Dps meters say if a boss dies fast and the tank kept aggro? Who cares how much overhealing was on a boss fight if noone died and healers still had mana when the boss died?

Right now you have Dps pulling aggro since Dps threat with all this new gear is actually catching Tanks Op AoE threat and you have healers letting players die because they're afraid to overheal.

I think wows pve would be a much better experience for everyone if blizzard just took away the modders ability to make Dps/healing meters.

Think about it, Dps would watch aggro and not get caught in stupid gas clouds and healers would actually keep players topped off.

The whole addons thing from WoW is a fun-killer: instead of playing the game, players spend most of their times looking at numbers and performance.

Yet i doubt that any serious PvE raiding guild would now accept to play without addons on a MMORPG...

I remember in EQ there was a dps meter functioning trough the use of a "log" in the game directory, but it was offline and i think much more acceptable.

It depends on your point of view. DPS meters help you to play your game better and it is fun to see big numbers. There is nothing wrong to look at performance. If you are wiping again and again, you want to know why, right?

Originally posted by Zorndorf

Originally posted by Tedly224

Children with DPS and Healing meters and going crazy to reach the top of the list play like garbage.
    Example 2 - A raid is in progress and there's trouble with a couple of the encounters and healing provided. Is one or more of the raid healers spending too much time in whispers / private sends and missing their timing with heals? Was one of them AFK entirely through an encounter? The Healing Meter will tell the story and let you know.

It's a no brainer. What you described with the first post is dead on and a waste of a good tool. But as long as people code good meters for games, I'll continue to use them for their intended purpose.

Even example 2 is a bad one. It is always the healer, isn' it ???

Just as if people can't get out of fires or circles in time, it is the fault of the healer. Listen as a healer I do NOT have time to whisper anything. I can't heal "on automatic" like a dps can.

The healing meter will tell you BOLLOCKS man. Healing is about timing and control AND it depends on the class.

I KNOW  my healing is like striking a match in group heals as a Paladin, while that shaman has an amazing flame thrower in his hand, but healing is about timing, fixed targets and keeping tanks and dps alive.

You mention the CORE problem some have. My brother almost never wants to use his healing spec for an instance. Too much responsibility he says ... and away he goes with his retri stats on his dps meter .....

Not anymore. There are addons to log if players are being hit by avoidable damage (like the firewall in OS).

• EthianEthian Member Posts: 1,216

My thought exactly. The dps meters in WoW are super lame....One of the reasons I quit running instances was because I always ended with some dolt in my groups comparing dps to prove he's got hair on his chest....

WoW really needs to get rid of them. Anyone who thinks they shouldn't, either needs to get outside more or needs to stop taking video games so seriously...WoW is full of people who think their "uber" and try to prove it with dps meters...but the reality is that most of these people basically have no lives other then videos games LOL. I honestly feel abit sad for em....

"I play Tera for the gameplay"

Originally posted by Xiaoki

Originally posted by Ztekan

www.thedon.se

Sounds more like a problem of people being idiots.

Guess what, those idiots would still be idiots if they didnt have DPS meters.

No add on or lack thereof is going to fix that problem.

Back when there was no addon (EverQuest) noticing bad or lazy players wasn't a problem, and there was no addon... observation skills must have been higher?

My addiction History:

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Originally posted by templarga

Some people are more concerned with numbers than having fun. To me, things like meters take the fun out of the game. It makes you concentrate more on your UI than the game and after a while, you are playing an interface and not a game. No thanks.

Yes exactly. By the time i was lvling my warrior, my eyes were basically rooted to my abilities on cooldown, and the fact that my health and the mobs were up the screen in the basic UI led me to install X-perl and put everything down the screen, closer to the abilities.

I was in fact never looking at what was happening on screen because it didn't matter: abilities cooldowns, my health and the mobs health were the only meaningful things, thus i was like you say playing an interface; might as well go back to MUDS at that point... monitoring numbers is more important in WoW, it's definitely less of a game.

My addiction History:

• linrenlinren Member Posts: 578

Best players don't rely on meters or even vent/TS.  Foresight does more than anything, but ony for those that are willing to play as a team.

Originally posted by Ethian

My thought exactly. The dps meters in WoW are super lame....One of the reasons I quit running instances was because I always ended with some dolt in my groups comparing dps to prove he's got hair on his chest....
    WoW really needs to get rid of them. Anyone who thinks they shouldn't, either needs to get outside more or needs to stop taking video games so seriously...WoW is full of people who think their "uber" and try to prove it with dps meters...but the reality is that most of these people basically have no lives other then videos games LOL. I honestly feel abit sad for em....

LOL .. damage meter is just an addon that gives more info. You should get out more if you deal with some numbers on screen.

• RajenRajen Member Posts: 689

I haven't ever really heard a complaint about healing from meters... or I just can't recall a time when I heard something.

As for dps meters, it does take some enjoyment out of the game because you will find yourself watching the meter instead of your character attacking. I always did pretty good on the meters but I definitely didn't enjoy the game as much by the time I started using them.

Having high numbers and watching them grow became more important that watching your character do something epic...

I'm glad I cancelled and left the 1-up-u rotten community.

Originally posted by nariusseldon

Originally posted by Ethian

LOL .. damage meter is just an addon that gives more info. You should get out more if you deal with some numbers on screen.

LOLZOMG numbers do not make the game better, or more fun. You should get out more if you rely on them to judge yourself or others.

My addiction History: