Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Just came back since launch, having a blast... a real solid mmo now

i just came back to AoC after over a year (played WAR, EVE).  I was waiting for Aion to come out enjoying the beta's, but while i like that game, its basically wow with a pvp focus, yet still more than wow obviously so dont get your panties in a bunch....to satisfy the "tldr" folk out there, is are some bullet points

-graphics are very stable, clean, and staggaringly beautiful...wow
-sound....ok wtf, the sound is better than any mmo i have ever played, even better than most single player games....very immersive
-quests - yes the quests can be go kill 10 of these, but when i am playing, the quests seem to have a purpose and a story, and i enjoy reading the quest dialoque. They seem to added a lot of new quests
-combat - ok seriously it can be very difficult to get used to the cumbersome combat system, but with a multi-button mouse, the game combat system truly opens up. Without the button mouse to macro to # keys it can be a pain if you are not fast and "twichy" but the mouse made all the difference
-mount - ok the horse is just flat out amazingly realistic...impressive
-character detail - my avatar resembles a real person with unique facial features. best of any game i have played (imo of course). Armor and weapons are not silly, they are realistic and keep the immersion level while still looking cool

To sum, when i play AoC, i feel like i am in this world... it is truly an immersive experience... obvsiously i just came back and i am not sure about higher levels, but so far this seems to be THE true mmo out there right now if you are a true mmo rpg fan and just not an mmo 'pvp' fan.. but again, imo. Roll playing seems to be a focus for the developers and the tools are there but i havent jumped into that.

I recommend returning and new players to try it... game really gets fun after a mount and with a multi-button mouse to macro the keybindings with.

At launch: 6/10
Right now: 9.5/10 (again limited review current fun factor based on my extensive mmo experience)

What have i played? EVE online 5 years, SWG for 2.5 years and mastered all 32 prof and pre 9 jedi, WoW to level 59 - yes only 59 couldnt stand it anymore, Earth and Beyond 1 year, Vanguard for 6 months, WAR for 8 months.

Comments

• DrokarDrokar Member Posts: 91

Originally posted by eureka105

Originally posted by Drokar

To sum, when i play AoC, i feel like i am in this world... it is truly an immersive experience... obvsiously i just came back and i am not sure about higher levels, but so far this seems to be THE true mmo out there right now if you are a true mmo rpg fan and just not an mmo 'pvp' fan.. but again, imo. Roll playing seems to be a focus for the developers and the tools are there but i havent jumped into that.

/end thread

why am i not surprised by these community... cant have a discussion.... just troll with no input just being an ass.  if you dont have anything to say to contribute more than two words, then your loser life is /end thread. Try to think beyond your 3 year old mindset and expand on your ideas. This thread was not about you, it was about my experience and my opinion. Get over yourself. If you disagree, be respectful and share why in more detail. You are just derailing my thread and it is not appreciated.
  • SevenwindSevenwind Member UncommonPosts: 2,188

Awesome. What class and server are you playing on?

As for higher levels, it's your own opinion how fun it can be. I enjoy it, with a good guild. I don't think it would be much fun in any mmo at high levels without a guild. Don't take into too much stock from the other poster. He gets banned every couple of weeks and comes back with a new name.

.. .... .- - . - .-. --- .-.. .-.. ... .-- .... --- .-. . .--. --- .-. - .-.-.-

--------------------------------------------------------
    Promote what you love instead of bashing what you hate.

Originally posted by Sevenwind

Awesome. What class and server are you playing on?
    As for higher levels, it's your own opinion how fun it can be. I enjoy it, with a good guild. I don't think it would be much fun in any mmo at high levels without a guild. Don't take into too much stock from the other poster. He gets banned every couple of weeks and comes back with a new name.

hey! i am on Set server and I play a Dark Templer. Currently roaming in Fields of the Dead.

• crunchyblackcrunchyblack Member Posts: 1,362

Well i can vouch that 1-80 is a solid trip.

No content gaps (unless your anti-group)

In my opinion end game has been the most fun ive had in game so far.

There hasnt been a lack of things for me to do since ive reached 80.

Still have raid gear to obtain, im not even close to pvp level 5 (pvp levels DO make a diffrence)

Plenty of seiges, i dont have any pvp gear yet.  I still have rare recipes to obtain.

Also next patch bring a renown point system and guild ranking serverwide (guild leveling) in pvp/pvp/crafting categories.

So unless your a 10+ hour a day player, theres more than enough at endgame.  To be honest its much more fun than i thought it was going to be.  Perhaps thats just because im on a well populated pvp server though.  

• ArthineasArthineas Member Posts: 231

Originally posted by Drokar

/end thread

Drokar don't let the idiots get to you.  I agree with you, the game is great.  No mmorpg has been able to hold my attention like this for a while.  I get alot of the same feelings(fun factor) playing AoC like I used to get with EQ and UO.  I even got my buddy hooked on it and he used to be a hard core Lineage 2 guy.  

They have added alot of high end content too.  We are in our 60's(hes almost 70) and have had no problem leveling up and finding interesting things to do.

• RemyVorenderRemyVorender Member RarePosts: 3,991

I came back and played for about 2 months and was having a good time doing so, until I hit around lvl 55. The level design for zones of this level is one long bottlenecked corridor, which made for nonstop ganking (average of 1 gank per minute). The level design simply doesn't let you go off on your own somewhere to get out of the way of the ganks. I played on Cimmeria, and would not think of switching to a PvE server. I enjoy PvP...I guess just not to the extent where I can't get anything else accomplished. PvP is a part of the game, which I understand and enjoy for the most part. For some reason, it just took me over the edge in my 50's and eventually got to the point where I cancelled my sub. I've learned over the years to stop playing a game when you're no longer having fun with it.

All around, AoC is a solid title. I only wish the zones were bigger and way less linear. I don't like being herded to the slaughter...I guess you could say.

Joined - July 2004

• VarnyVarny Member Posts: 765

I came across 3 game breaking things for me.

1. Zoning

Couldn't handle all the annoying Loading screens and how the game didn't feel like an online World.

2. Ugly Armour

Normally you look forward to seeing your new loot but this game made you dread how fugly your character could get.

3. Couldn't find groups

Spent my whole entire time soloing and tyring to get groups for dungeons and I couldn't find one for the Dungeon I wanted to do.

OMG you called me a loser!
    I just find it very unproductive to have these kinds of "reviews" by people who are still in Tortage. You might think this game is amazing but you have not been to higher levels, you don't know the REAL Age of Conan. You don't know it yet, but you are basically LYING to potential customers.
    It's like a book review where the reviewer has read only the first 20 pages and says that the book is the most amazing book ever. Would you find that review helpful?
    I'm pretty sure you like the attention but there is a reason why most GOOD and OBJECTIVE reviews are made by people who have experienced fully whatever they are reviewing.

Awww that's to bad, the OP is past Tortage so I guess that makes the review productive? Get real.

And btw the journey is just as good as reaching the end for some people.

Originally posted by Varny

I came across 3 game breaking things for me.

1. Zoning

Couldn't handle all the annoying Loading screens and how the game didn't feel like an online World.

2. Ugly Armour

Normally you look forward to seeing your new loot but this game made you dread how fugly your character could get.

3. Couldn't find groups

Spent my whole entire time soloing and tyring to get groups for dungeons and I couldn't find one for the Dungeon I wanted to do.

1. this isnt wow, zones do have advantages over open worls you know

2. armor IS ugly, the rare level 80 armor looks awesome however.  cant state it enough how cool some of the crafted, epic, and xib dungeon rare equips look.  they do need to address armor in early levels. 

3. server fail, if your NA pick tyranny or crimmeria for pvp, wiccana (is set populated still?) for pve and rp. Get a guild asap and this wont be an issue.

• TurntableTurntable Member Posts: 78

I just find it very unproductive to have these kinds of "reviews" by people who are still in Tortage. You might think this game is amazing but you have not been to higher levels, you don't know the REAL Age of Conan. You don't know it yet, but you are basically LYING to potential customers.
    It's like a book review where the reviewer has read only the first 20 pages and says that the book is the most amazing book ever. Would you find that review helpful?
    I'm pretty sure you like the attention but there is a reason why most GOOD and OBJECTIVE reviews are made by people who have experienced fully whatever they are reviewing.

Awww that's to bad, the OP is past Tortage so I guess that makes the review productive? Get real.

This.

--
    Sometimes truth is stranger than fiction.

/youfail

First, i am not in tortage, so obviously you have never played or you would know this, 2nd, i was relaying my experience and my opinion. I dont need to qualify my own opinion, and 3rd i clearly notify the reader of this thread what I have not yet experienced and dont have ability to spreak about, thankfully, others forum go'ers have added their constructive commentary adding to this thread here i left off. You fail. 0/2 attempts

Oh, so he's as high as level 30? Wow, that makes him an expert and I apologize I doubted him.

Yeah, a journey is important but not for a person who is writing a review. And even worse, telling everyone they should subscribe!

I don't know about you guys but I don't think a level 30 newbie is the right guy to write reviews about AoC. You should read reviews by more experienced players. You know the ones who have actually PLAYED more than 25% of content.

Have you even noticed how different newbie and veteran reviews of this game are? Somehow newbie reviews are always positive and veteran reviews are always negative. Also it seems like a lot of people quit AoC after they reach high levels. Hmm.. you think there might be some connection between those two?

Post like this are made by attention seeking individuals and offer no value to rest of the community.

Well ive been 80 for some time now.  I would say the OP's statements would be accurate levels 1-80.

As far as endgame goes, on a populated pvp server, its so far been the best part of the game.  There is a lot to do, more to do is comming.  I can see a few people got to 80, didnt want to raid or pvp and claimed there wasnt a thing to do at 80 or play 10 hours + a day and got to pvp level 5 and got all the epics and crafted gear, and are not looking forward to renown points or leveling their guilds in server wide rankings ect...

You could just say you just didnt like the game, but after a few hundred posts about not liking the game you gotta reach pretty hard to sound fresh.

• finaticdfinaticd Member Posts: 843

My question is why during free trials and win backs was there so few I just came back and the game is awesome posts and right after when we know few people are trying the game in comparison, there are three in the past few days?

So now that the population is at an all time low after the free trials ended and AoC's population dropped 20% everyone thinks the game is so awesome and the people who retried the game and did not stay were wrong.

My second question is what has changed in the past two weeks, because 2 weeks ago the game was not good enough to capitalize on the free trials?

Funcom has reviewed all of its assets relevant for
    impairment testing. This process has led to
    recognition of an impairment loss of around
    3,1 MUSD for Age of Conan due to a decrease in
    numbers of subscribers for the game. Funcom Q4 10 report.
    http://forums.ageofconan.com/showpost.php?p=2926123&postcount=7 500 mains/alts on Tyranny in past 30 days - instead of merge servers let's open a new PvP server, again! http://forums-eu.ageofconan.com/showthread.php?t=106427

• cybertruckercybertrucker Member UncommonPosts: 1,117

From my understanding 20% of the people who came back to the game with the trials left... 80% of those people stayed which boosted the overall gaming population which is the reason the devs are investing more money into the game because they hooked more players.. If your going to start rambling off at least do your research and get it right.

• ElsaboltsElsabolts Member RarePosts: 3,476

Im glad your enjoying the game many others do not feel the same way as you do. If i might ask are you on dial-up or dsl there in Taco Bell florida.

Jihad works both ways

" Life Liberty and the Pursuit of Those Who  Would Threaten It "
                                            MAGA
  • dhayes68dhayes68 Member UncommonPosts: 1,388
    Originally posted by cybertrucker

From my understanding 20% of the people who came back to the game with the trials left... 80% of those people stayed which boosted the overall gaming population which is the reason the devs are investing more money into the game because they hooked more players.. If your going to start rambling off at least do your research and get it right.

And what is all that based on?

Originally posted by Elsabolts

Im glad your enjoying the game many others do not feel the same way as you do. If i might ask are you on dial-up or dsl there in Taco Bell florida.

Jihad works both ways

Ahh taking personal stabs are we at the guy who plays from his semi truck   Mr. im an adult and spent $1k+ on a new rig for a game before ever playing the game?

• finaticdfinaticd Member Posts: 843

Nah Funcom's projections for next quarter are more like a number equal to the number of people who retried the game left plus 30% of old players left.  My numbers are at least based on the quarter reports.

That is a lot of population shrinkage so unless they added something just amazing last week and didn't advertise it my question would be what did they just add last week?

See the free trials brought players back but then more people left again per Funcom:

Sales, marketing and PR efforts during summer

increased customer inflow and subscriber numbers,

but the full effect of this was somewhat offset by

higher churn during the Summer July/August

Funcom has reviewed all of its assets relevant for
    impairment testing. This process has led to
    recognition of an impairment loss of around
    3,1 MUSD for Age of Conan due to a decrease in
    numbers of subscribers for the game. Funcom Q4 10 report.
    http://forums.ageofconan.com/showpost.php?p=2926123&postcount=7 500 mains/alts on Tyranny in past 30 days - instead of merge servers let's open a new PvP server, again! http://forums-eu.ageofconan.com/showthread.php?t=106427

• ElsaboltsElsabolts Member RarePosts: 3,476
    Originally posted by crunchyblack

Originally posted by Elsabolts

Jihad works both ways

Ahh taking personal stabs are we at the guy who plays from his semi truck   Mr. im an adult and spent $1k+ on a new rig for a game before ever playing the game?

Crunch i was asking the OP about his internet connection in Taco Bell Florida not about your computer.

Jihad works both ways

" Life Liberty and the Pursuit of Those Who  Would Threaten It "
                                            MAGA
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,509

Can't take the OP seriously if he's giving any game a 9.5/10, especially when comparing it to EVE.

(based on the "fun factor?")

Glad to hear the game's doing better, and more than one person seems to agree judging from the 3 threads recently started on this same topic.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Originally posted by Kyleran

Can't take the OP seriously if he's giving any game a 9.5/10, especially when comparing it to EVE.
    (based on the "fun factor?")
    Glad to hear the game's doing better, and more than one person seems to agree judging from the 3 threads recently started on this same topic.

You can expect a lot of these kinds of posts as Aion release gets closer and Funcom PR department (aka forum guys) will work around the clock to give us "honest reviews".

I'm still waiting for you're 250+ guild that moved to Aion to tell us how it is. I'm sure when you're banned on this account you'll make another that will keep us updated.

• baddumsbaddums Member Posts: 72

I had a lot of fun leveling up at launch. However, once I started raiding endgame and the majority of encounters were super-broken, that was it for me. Especially when stuff  was broken and they still released BRC...

• dhayes68dhayes68 Member UncommonPosts: 1,388
    Originally posted by finaticd

My question is why during free trials and win backs was there so few I just came back and the game is awesome posts and right after when we know few people are trying the game in comparison, there are three in the past few days?
    So now that the population is at an all time low after the free trials ended and AoC's population dropped 20% everyone thinks the game is so awesome and the people who retried the game and did not stay were wrong.
    My second question is what has changed in the past two weeks, because 2 weeks ago the game was not good enough to capitalize on the free trials?

Damn good question.

Originally posted by dhayes68

Originally posted by finaticd

Damn good question.

Im one of those people.

Downloaded the free trial as nothing more than a stress test of my new rig and card.

Didnt see the game i had read so much about in forums like these. 

Its not a perfect game, but the combat and the ffa pvp is a blast.

Half the servers are packed.

You could try it out, see if you like it, or listen to the forum accounts created solely to troll the aoc forums.

• todayisbluetodayisblue Member Posts: 60

@eureka105: as i read through this thread, you've only opened up a little after you were attacked, but even then you avoided giving counter-arguments to every else's positive opinion. in sum, all i've heard you say is, "well obviously you didn't reach end game. you n00b reviewer!"

i have never played AoC, but i'm curious about what it's like. other posters have given me some good info, how about you give me some good info too? tell me about your personal experience with AoC. tell me about the high level content (which i'm not sure you've experienced.) stop trolling and defending your mostly anonymous identity. let's hear something with some substance to it. when you do that, i'll be all ears.