Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Will GW 2 be a linear experience?

PaincakePaincake Member Posts: 139

Or will it be more sandbox style?

Comments

• VowOfSilenceVowOfSilence Member UncommonPosts: 565

uhm.. both.

read about the event system. it's less linear than the average MMO, and much less linear than GW1 was.

but there's also an emphasis on storytelling like in GW1, with instanced story missions which will most likely be rather linear.

It's a matter of taste, but I like that mix and am really looking forward to it. TOR will probably beat GW2 regarding non-linear storytelling, but GW2 offers a lot of interesting stuff as well.

Hype train -> Reality

• MrPhireMrPhire Member Posts: 212

Yeah per interviews with A-Net, they pretty much responded saying: Yeah we made a horrible idea in linearity as we had done. But we also figured the ins and outs of how to implement instancing right. So pretty much GW2 is going to be a *persistant* world with instances for missions and quests. Yes quests. But they're definitly adding mobility features, swimming, all types of cool stuff I always wished guild wars had. Guild Wars storytelling was good for the first year. The multiple other factions made all the cutscenes boring and dry. So imo i hope they're more focusing along the lines of just taking prophecies and expanding. Which is what they've confirmed. But I don't wanna see Guild Wars 2 Factions and GW2: Nightfall. That nearly ruined the majority of experience. I believe they think that too. In an interview with IGN they stated we figured out, we should just stop adding a quantity of features and create quality features... Hence why they made an expansion not another campaign.

Playing: Guild Wars and Exteel
    Loved: WoW, Guild Wars, FFXI, and Lineage 2
    Liked: Exteel, WAR, and Lineage 1
    Hated:City of Heroes, City of Villians, Matrix Online, Runescape, and D&D Online.
    Waiting For: Aion, Guild Wars 2, FFXIV, and SW:TOR

• natuxatunatuxatu Member UncommonPosts: 1,364

It's going to be more persistant and therefore more open. They also mentioned different open missions that take place for everyone to join in on. So it's not going to be as linear...

• LeononaLeonona Member UncommonPosts: 225

There will still be a scripted story to follow through the game so you can't call it sandbox. The thing is there will be many stories to follow that branch off in a ton of directions, so the world will feel very open. I hope you will be able to go through the game as the same race a second time and get a different experience with different content, by making different choises in the stories you follow along the way. Atleast that is my hope and expectation.

• SwaneaSwanea Member UncommonPosts: 2,401

I doubt you'll see a SWG or Darkfall sort of sandbox level.

• djazzydjazzy Member Posts: 3,578

Well from what I understand there won't be a typical quest system, at least not like you see in other mmo's. There are events through out the world that are basically your quests rather than picking up quest from a town (kill X amount of these, take this fedex package to so and so, etcetera).

• Silverthorn8Silverthorn8 Member UncommonPosts: 510

My initial impression of the pve side to this game seems like its gonna be similar to the original concept for warhammer online (before mythic gained the rights to it).

I.e if certain mobs are left unchecked they will proliferate and become a menace, theres gonna be repercussions if they arent culled.

Also correct me if I'm wrong but it looks as though the "world" is only contiguous via portals connecting one super-server which represents the entire world of Tyria. This sounds like my type of game :)

Potential for extended exploration could well be nigh unlimited, I really would like more info about this title, shame the real meat isnt being dished till the new year :/