Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

welcome to the persistant world GW2

steamtanksteamtank Member UncommonPosts: 391

i liked alot of what i saw with GW1. played it a bit but never quite had the *stick* i recieve from a persistant world. I look forward to seeing GW2  bringing a new and interesting blend to the mmo scene and following their formula more than the EQ/WoW formula.

So best of luck GW2. Show those MT+sub fee chumps that are emerging right now that a good game doesnt have to nickle and dime its customers to death.

Comments

• VowOfSilenceVowOfSilence Member UncommonPosts: 565

and it's not just a regular persistant world:

"The quest system, for instance, has been completely overhauled, and will offer something quite different from its competitors. "I think I can safely say that you won't see a single exclamation mark floating above a character's head in Guild Wars 2. We actually don't have a traditional RPG/MMO quest system, instead what we've got are Events. Think of them as group-orientated activities. This is one of the many things that will encourage the player to explore the world - you can wander through and never quite know what you're going to see. You might come across a fortress that's being attacked by centaurs, or it might be that the centaurs attacked half an hour before you got there and they hold it now. You might start walking along a road you've walked a hundred times and suddenly there's a caravan travelling along that road that you may not have seen, and you can go help that caravan out."

"Events respond to what the players are doing in the world. If the players raid the centaur camp and clear out the centaurs, then there won’t be a centaur attack on the garrison. But if the players let the centaur population get out of control, then the centaurs will become emboldened and start doing raids. If the centaurs take over the garrison, then they’ll hold it as a centaur garrison until the players can put together an attack force and successfully reclaim it. Once the players reclaim it, it becomes a human garrison again, and the NPCs move back in."

"The story will take place through a combination of instancing and persistent areas. We're really throwing our entire bag of tricks at the storytelling in GW2. I think we're going to be doing some things, especially with narrative, that people haven't seen before in an MMO."

Hype train -> Reality

• Kaynos1972Kaynos1972 Member Posts: 2,316

Really like GW1, not a pvp fan, but the questing and rpg side of the game was great, my biggest complaint was that everything was instanced.  Now i heard GW2 will be more like a true MMO with a seemless open world, NOW that i like.

• MrPhireMrPhire Member Posts: 212

Completely agree with yall. I played GW through all the campaigns and expansion. Can't really tell you what I loved about it. The game gets VERY STALE, and the fact that the whole game ended up turning into a solo game was very tedious. All I really hope for is a more structured end game. Prophecies was definitly my favorite campaign... But the whole serious just ended up how do i make money. So, although I loved the game, I am anticipating GW2 not because of it's predecessor, but because of the team's answers to interviews.

Playing: Guild Wars and Exteel
    Loved: WoW, Guild Wars, FFXI, and Lineage 2
    Liked: Exteel, WAR, and Lineage 1
    Hated:City of Heroes, City of Villians, Matrix Online, Runescape, and D&D Online.
    Waiting For: Aion, Guild Wars 2, FFXIV, and SW:TOR

• Tr0nc3kTr0nc3k Member Posts: 30

I especilly like the part about underwater exploration.

Being able to explore a whole underwater contintent (or at least a big chunk) withouth the fear of drowning, add a whole new twist to the RPG/PvE side of thinks.

Aion - air

GW2 - water