Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Character response seem... sluggish.

JimmydeanJimmydean Member UncommonPosts: 1,290

Does it feel like your character has to think about for a second or so before you move? It might just be the lag in the starting zone because so many people are playing atm, just feels that way to me. I have a high end PC and run at max settings just as well as I do at the lowest possible settings so not sure what the deal is here.

Comments

• NizurNizur Member CommonPosts: 1,417

During open beta, my toon didn't feel sluggish at all. During the big end event in open beta though, when there were a ton of people fighting destroids, it did slow down some. Sometimes it would take about a second between key press and response.

Current: None
    Played: WoW, CoX, SWG, LotRO, EVE, AoC, VG, CO, Ryzom, DF, WAR
    Tried: Lineage2, Dofus, EQ2, CoS, FE, UO, Wurm, Wakfu
    Future: The Repopulation, ArcheAge, Black Desert, EQN

• banthisbanthis Member Posts: 1,891

Depends on the attack some fire right away some have to charge up and some have delays between uses.  I know my fire char lights crap up like the moment you hit the button but my power suit's auto attack has a bit of a delay / charge down between sessions of blasts.

• KithcaKithca Member Posts: 118

This was one of my main issue with the game when I got into their "Alpha" testing.   The controls did not feel right at all, at the time the controls were geared towards an Xbox 360 gamepad.  There, as I can recall, was no way of remapping the keys at that time and I had to remap my Fang; which I tend to prefer doing this in-game as I hate the Fang's software.

It wasn't so much that I couldn't play it just felt sluggish and clumsy and much more geared to console play over PC.  I had the same feel during the latest Beta phases.  While the game was much more put together, of course, it still didn't "feel" right.  I do have to say the general feel of the game, to me, is that it is much more of an "arcade" game as opposed to feeling like an MMO.

• JimmydeanJimmydean Member UncommonPosts: 1,290
    Originally posted by banthis

Depends on the attack some fire right away some have to charge up and some have delays between uses.  I know my fire char lights crap up like the moment you hit the button but my power suit's auto attack has a bit of a delay / charge down between sessions of blasts.

I don't mean attack cooldowns, I mean your character responds to movement very slowly.

I played Champions for an hour or 2 then went and played WoW for a bit and felt like I was some kind of movement god. In most MMOs your character responds to keystrokes immediately. In CO the response is just off.

• TinybinaTinybina Member Posts: 2,130
    Originally posted by Jimmydean

I don't mean attack cooldowns, I mean your character responds to movement very slowly.

I played Champions for an hour or 2 then went and played WoW for a bit and felt like I was some kind of movement god. In most MMOs your character responds to keystrokes immediately. In CO the response is just off.

Yup its almost as if im playing Warhammer agian.  Well maybe not that bad but it diffenently is noticeable...

------------------------------
    You see, every mammal on this planet instinctively develops a natural equilibrium with their surrounding environment, but you humans do not. You spread to an area, and you multiply, and you multiply, until every natural resource is consumed. The only way you can survive is to spread to another area. There is another organism on this planet that follows the same pattern. Do you know what it is? A virus. Human beings are a disease, a cancer of this planet.-Mr.Smith

• TheStarheartTheStarheart Member Posts: 368

Does it feel like your character has to think about for a second or so before you move? It might just be the lag in the starting zone because so many people are playing atm, just feels that way to me. I have a high end PC and run at max settings just as well as I do at the lowest possible settings so not sure what the deal is here.

I noticed the same thing and it made me dread logging in again. So I only did a few more times and leveled to 20, still not shaking that sluggish feeling. This in combination with business tactics have pushed me elsewhere. Hopefully this is resolved for all that end up playing.

• EricDanieEricDanie Member UncommonPosts: 2,238
    Originally posted by Tinybina

Yup its almost as if im playing Warhammer agian.  Well maybe not that bad but it diffenently is noticeable...

It seems Cryptic didn't learn the lesson in WAR...

Originally posted by EricDanie

Originally posted by Tinybina

It seems Cryptic didn't learn the lesson in WAR...

It's kind of too bad, I like this game enough that I'd sub to it but I can't shake that sluggish feeling. I'm assuming it's not something they'll be able to fix in the near future, so probably won't be re-ordering. Hmmph.

• ThePhilThePhil Member Posts: 20

Adjust your graphics settings.  It's usually on the client's end when users experience this to that degree.

(signature blocked)

I turned the graphics down as far as they would go. It's not on my client's end.

• DouhkDouhk Member Posts: 1,019

I have this issue, but only with certain abilities. For the most part abilities respond like they should, but on others it can be quite a problem. I can't remember the name's of the abilities, but I have a melee character focused on single swords. The leap ability under martial arts, when I use it, has three responses:

1. Wait two seconds to finally respond, leap at target.

2. Not respond to the click at all.

3. Perform the leap away ability rather than the leap toward (the same move dependent on which direction you are moving).

I also have another issue with Dragon's Bite (at least that was what I think it was called; it is the charged attack that grants the energy bonus on single swords... bare with me). It will either take a second or two to actually respond, or not respond at all. And since it's a charge ability, this can get rather frustrating. I'll hold it for say a second and get no response, so I'll stop charging in thinking that it didn't respond. Turns out right after I stop holding down the mouse the charger pops up, but only charges to halfway. It's doubly frustrating due to the fact that the ability only has use when fully charged (of course, you can use it without the charge, but it has little benefit without the energy bonus granted).

I'm pretty sure it isn't an issue with my computer, either. My computer falls well above the maximum specifications and the game runs like butter, thankfully and surprisingly for pre-launch, and I only have an issue with these two abilities so far in terms of response times. I find it to be a rather annoying and moderate issue that needs to be adressed, considering these are major abilities within a specific set of powers. I wonder how many other abilities have this response issue?

image If only SW:TOR could be this epic...

It's a lot of people having these same issues. It  has part to do with their User Interface dropping FPS and part to do with their game doesn't support multi-core GPUs because it was designed for Console gameplay. It puts more stress on your CPU than your GPU.

I'm sure they'll fix it eventually. When they do maybe I'll try it out again. Not worth my time atm though.

• ManchineManchine Member UncommonPosts: 469
    Originally posted by Douhk

I have this issue, but only with certain abilities. For the most part abilities respond like they should, but on others it can be quite a problem. I can't remember the name's of the abilities, but I have a melee character focused on single swords. The leap ability under martial arts, when I use it, has three responses:
    3. Perform the leap away ability rather than the leap toward (the same move dependent on which direction you are moving).
    I also have another issue with Dragon's Bite (at least that was what I think it was called; it is the charged attack that grants the energy bonus on single swords... bare with me). It will either take a second or two to actually respond, or not respond at all. And since it's a charge ability, this can get rather frustrating. I'll hold it for say a second and get no response, so I'll stop charging in thinking that it didn't respond. Turns out right after I stop holding down the mouse the charger pops up, but only charges to halfway. It's doubly frustrating due to the fact that the ability only has use when fully charged (of course, you can use it without the charge, but it has little benefit without the energy bonus granted).
    I'm pretty sure it isn't an issue with my computer, either. My computer falls well above the maximum specifications and the game runs like butter, thankfully and surprisingly for pre-launch, and I only have an issue with these two abilities so far in terms of response times. I find it to be a rather annoying and moderate issue that needs to be adressed, considering these are major abilities within a specific set of powers. I wonder how many other abilities have this response issue?

----------- Edited for stupidity.

That Lunge ability sucks.  You have to move in a direction.  I figured it out after I read what it does.  As for when powers go off.  They only have a 5 ft range.  If you charge something up and they start to move away your not gonna hit them.  It sucks.  They need to do something with Melee.  Right now its very weak.

Originally posted by Manchine

Originally posted by Douhk

Ignoring the OP for being troll.

That Lunge ability sucks.  You have to move in a direction.  I figured it out after I read what it does.  As for when powers go off.  They only have a 5 ft range.  If you charge something up and they start to move away your not gonna hit them.  It sucks.  They need to do something with Melee.  Right now its very weak.

Keep calling me a troll. I don't really care. Just because the game runs fine for you doesn't mean that it's everyone elses fault.  http://forums.champions-online.com/forumdisplay.php?f=104  If you really don't believe me go there. Tons of people having the same problems.

Sorry Jimmy, I got to apoligize to you are not a troll.  I accidently put you on block sorry.  I can't figure out how unblock you.  I put all the trolls on block.

Again my apoligizes.

I just figured it out.  Dang Vista didn't show the unblock under the Showpost.  Only a tiny bit was showing vista so I looked on firefox and there it was.  TADA.

Again sorry.