Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Release date 2010 .... kinda

OmasuOmasu Member Posts: 51

C'mon Square-Enix, don't pull this stuff. 

This game will be released in 2010. Yes ... on the last day possible in 2010 ... December 31st. 

http://g4tv.com/games/pc/62021/final-fantasy-xiv-online/articles/68206/Final-Fantasy-XIV-GamesCom-2009-Preview/

I'm excited about this game, but it irritates me to see companies doing stuff like this. When I first saw that there was a 2010 release date I thought subconsciously to myself ...when !?  Q1 ? Q2 ? Q3 ? Q4 ? 

"Oh ok Q4" ... but when

"Oh December" ... thats late Q4.

"December 31st" .... thats hours away from Q1 2011. Not exactly a 2010 release. 

I would rather them say "We are releasing FFXIV just hours before 2011 begins."

I would rather them say "If you were reading a book right now entitled 2010, there would be 364 blank pages, and half of the last page would have print."

I would rather them say "We are trying very hard for a 2010 release, but if you blink your may miss our success story."

I would rather them say "Please help us ring in the New Year with the release of our game."

I would rather them say "It's basically the end of Q4, and the beginning of us yanking you around some more."

Feel free to add your own.

Cheers.

Comments

• toddzetoddze Member UncommonPosts: 2,150

Would you ratgher them make up something and say Q2 2010? Maybe just maybe they are not sure when. If something pops up and a delay happens, all the sudden fail fail fail threads pop up all over. they will get more specific once they know everything is on track.

Waiting for:EQ-Next, ArcheAge (not so much anymore)
    Now Playing: N/A
    Worst MMO: FFXIV
    Favorite MMO: FFXI

• HyanmenHyanmen Member UncommonPosts: 5,357

I just came here to say that this topic is really dumb.

Cool that you know better than the devs when the game will be released though, maybe you should send them an e-mail!

Using LOL is like saying "my argument sucks but I still want to disagree".
  • OmasuOmasu Member Posts: 51

I gave you numerous examples of what "I would rather"

... was I not clear enough ?

I would rather them not use deceptive marketing tactics saying a 2010 release and in reality ... the next day would be called a 2011 release.

Hyanmen, I never said I know better anything. Where the eff did you get that from my post ? 

You "came in here to say that it is really dumb" you clearly know how to manage your time well and will no doubt enjoy your last minute 2010 release.

I'm simply saying its BARELY to the 3rd power .... a 2010 release. 

• swalker23swalker23 Member Posts: 266
    Originally posted by Hyanmen

I just came here to say that this topic is really dumb.
    Cool that you know better than the devs when the game will be released though, maybe you should send them an e-mail!

ROFL, send me a email to.

I hope it is released in 2010 but I don't care if it gets released in 2011 as long as its complete.  I don't want some rushed polished turd of a launch like in some other MMO's.  I just want SE to have a complete and polished game at launch.  When I say complete I don't mean bug free because their will be bugs regardless of date but I am refering to as in content and textures are alligned.  I don't want to see tree's floating in the air, players walking through walls, and the ground should look like a ground not strecthed piece of skin.

• Kushiel666Kushiel666 Member Posts: 29

Out of curiosity... Where are you getting this information from that says the game is going to be released on December 31, 2010?  That straight up sounds like a filler date if I've ever seen one.  As in the site that is stating this as a release date doesn't know what the actual date is accept that it is in 2010.  Unless somebody official from SE stated this, that release date means absolutely nothing.  If somebody is going to release a game on December 31st, then I am sure they would adjust that to release prior to Christmas to up the sale for the holiday rush.  I think you better check your source on that release date.

Swalker, 

Again, I'm not saying anything about if it is complete or not. I don't care when it is released ... take until 2012 if they have to. 

Nor am I trying to rush the development process. I don't want the game to be shiite either. 

• todayisbluetodayisblue Member Posts: 60

i think by now most people expect a game to be released later than the developers say. the fact that they're making it within 2010 at all puts them miles ahead of blizzard. not that i mind blizzard's delays, because they put out very fine products. similarly, i don't mind SE's timeline because i'm expecting them to put out a very fine product. with that said, i'll play the game.

i would rather them say:

"we are scheduled to release in 2010, but if we have to reboot our computer an extra time it'll be 2011."

"no, you won't be able to get your nephew ffxvi for christmas."

"we're offering our customers in samoa a free ferry to tonga, if they wish to obtain our game earlier in exchange for a 2011 release."

"we are scheduled to release in 2010, but if we have to reboot our computer an extra time it'll be 2011."

hahaha, thats a good one. 

• HyanmenHyanmen Member UncommonPosts: 5,357
    Originally posted by Omasu

Hyanmen, I never said I know better anything. Where the eff did you get that from my post ? 

You seem to know that they'll release the game December 31st, 2010.. 

In reality you have no idea whatsoever when they'll release it. The date might be next summer, and if it is then them saying "We'll release it on December 31st 2010" would sound idiotic.

I'd like to know why are you so sure that they're going to pull this off.. and no, "other companies do it too" doesn't really mean anything.

Using LOL is like saying "my argument sucks but I still want to disagree".
  • Kushiel666Kushiel666 Member Posts: 29

So the FFXIV official website lists the release data as "2010".  So unless you can back up your "December 31, 2010" release date with some official, it kinda leaves us to assume your overreacting to a worse case scenario.  If I remember reading correctly, when the game was announced SE did say it would be released after FFXIII (which makes sense).  FFXIII is due sometime in Spring, so most speculation points towards a Fall release.  That's a little before a Winter release date of December 31, 2010.  Also the game has been in development for what? Five years?  That is assuming this is the same project that was once known as "Rapture".  Unless something goes crazy bad in beta, which is noted in other websites, I would expect the release of FFXIV sooner than later.

• KupoKupopoKupoKupopo Member Posts: 189
    Originally posted by Kushiel666

Out of curiosity... Where are you getting this information from that says the game is going to be released on December 31, 2010?  That straight up sounds like a filler date if I've ever seen one.  As in the site that is stating this as a release date doesn't know what the actual date is accept that it is in 2010.  Unless somebody official from SE stated this, that release date means absolutely nothing.  If somebody is going to release a game on December 31st, then I am sure they would adjust that to release prior to Christmas to up the sale for the holiday rush.  I think you better check your source on that release date.

I absolutely agree with this post.

I feel there are people on "both sides" in this thread who are arguing over nothing (a lot of confusion).  Basically, the OP saw the G4 website that lists the release date as 12/31/2010 (and yes, he did provide the link in his very first post).  Clearly, he believed the G4 website to be reporting a legitimate fact.

Now, as Kushiel666 mentioned, this is probably some filler date and nothing official.  But I don't know why everyone is yelling at the OP about "where do you get this info?!" when he already provided a link to a website that said  12/31/2010. 

I think it would be more productive if people told the OP that G4 has their head up their butts for posting that date when it is clearly not an official date and he should not take the G4 website as fact... which he clearly did.

Edit:  Oh, and if it turns out that he never included that link and then edited in the link hours later after everyone yelled at him... well, then I guess he deserved it afterall.

• JetrpgJetrpg Member UncommonPosts: 2,347
    Originally posted by Omasu

C'mon Square-Enix, don't pull this stuff. 

This game will be released in 2010. Yes ... on the last day possible in 2010 ... December 31st. 
    http://g4tv.com/games/pc/62021/final-fantasy-xiv-online/articles/68206/Final-Fantasy-XIV-GamesCom-2009-Preview/
    I'm excited about this game, but it irritates me to see companies doing stuff like this. When I first saw that there was a 2010 release date I thought subconsciously to myself ...when !?  Q1 ? Q2 ? Q3 ? Q4 ? 
    "Oh ok Q4" ... but when
    "Oh December" ... thats late Q4.
    "December 31st" .... thats hours away from Q1 2011. Not exactly a 2010 release. 

I would rather them say "We are releasing FFXIV just hours before 2011 begins."
    I would rather them say "If you were reading a book right now entitled 2010, there would be 364 blank pages, and half of the last page would have print."
    I would rather them say "We are trying very hard for a 2010 release, but if you blink your may miss our success story."
    I would rather them say "Please help us ring in the New Year with the release of our game."
    I would rather them say "It's basically the end of Q4, and the beginning of us yanking you around some more."

Feel free to add your own.
    Cheers.

Does this mean in us also?

"Society in every state is a blessing, but government even in its best state is but a necessary evil; in its worst state an intolerable one ..." - Thomas Paine

• wizyywizyy Member UncommonPosts: 629

Release date on a New Year's eve... o.O

Oh well, at least servers won't crash like they do on most MMORPG starts.

• RajenRajen Member Posts: 689

Something tells me it will be out before Dec. 31 2010... I remember when the game wasn't even FFXIV (Codename Rapture then) IGN had the release date set for Dec. 31 2010, so maybe that is just the default date that is set by whatever frame their site is using?

Seems they are trying to get beta going before 2010 so if they do I wouldn't be surprised with a mid-2010 release.

My source for that...

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2009/08/26/final-fantasy-xiv-gamescom-interview/

PSB: Are you still planning a spring 2010 beta?

Tanaka: We can’t really say any certain timing, because the launch is planned to release is 2010. So that means in springtime there will probably be something at that point. We are trying to work as soon as possible, so as soon as preparation is done, there could be something earlier than 2010.

• RandomoniamRandomoniam Member Posts: 9

December 31st is a way for a seller to say 'We have no clue, sometime before 2010 is over'.

That's all.