Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

More details on EVE FPS Dust 514

xersentxersent Member Posts: 613

Link to source : eurogamer.net

More details on EVE FPS Dust 514

News by Oli Welsh

Today 10:10

Although details were sparse on last week's announcement of the EVE

Online console FPS spin-off, Dust 514, there's been a trickle of

information since that does a little to clarify how CCP's two MMOs

will interact.

The best summaries are to be found in a video interview with CCP head

Hilmar Petursson by German site Gamona, and Massively's article on

what we know and speculation on what it might mean.

Petursson explained that Dust 514 will be an online shooter, for

consoles only, with elements of real-time strategy - deployment of

installations by commanders throughout Dust 514's battlefields will

change the flow of the fight - and persistent MMO character

advancement. Player characters in Dust 514 will be able to own things,

including customisable vehicles and weapons.

But the real juice is in Dust 514's connection to the EVE Online

universe. The console players will act as mercenaries - with the

potential to be contracted, funded and armed by the fleet pilots of

the PC game - and fight for control of planets in the same universe.

The battles in both EVE and Dust will contribute to the NPC faction

warfare and player-driven territorial warfare in the EVE universe.

"The two worlds will affect each other in a meaningful way," said

Petursson. "You can still have great fun without thinking about the

strategic connections between these two games... but everything has

this additional meaning or relevance... for thousands or tens of

thousands of other players."

Petursson said that Dust 514's development was a result of a desire to

satisfy gamers who took an interest in EVE's persistent universe, but

weren't attracted to the dry and complex gameplay of the space MMO.

"We've seen a lot of people are excited by EVE Online," he said.

"There are a lot of stories that come out of EVE, and there's a lot of

interest in the social, political and economic things that go on in

it. But the EVE experience is focused on a particular play style, and

there are people that want to play different types of games. So we

thought, OK, what is the most different type of game from what we have

now? And a first-person shooter was our conclusion."

Petursson declined to give a release date for Dust 514, stressing that

CCP would take as long as it needed to get the interaction between the

two games right. "But we have been working on it for three years, so

we're quite far along already," he added.

We'll hopefully have more information on Dust 514 come the CCP

Fanfest, held on 1st to 3rd October.

Comments

• mklinicmklinic Member RarePosts: 1,981

I might be wrong, but that seemed like a lot of similar vague statements and I am not sure "details" would be the right word.

At any rate, I still like seeing threads about this game and am anxious to hear more about it :D

I can certainly respect the quoted below:

-mklinic

"Do something right, no one remembers.
    Do something wrong, no one forgets"
    -from No One Remembers by In Strict Confidence

• JasonosJasonos Member UncommonPosts: 36

So why the hell they are making it only for consoles??!!

• KebeckKebeck Member Posts: 323
    Originally posted by Holgrum

Hmm... Good question, I guess it's just a way to expand the EVE universe into a new market. Plus, FPS are pretty popular on consoles..

My only gripe with this is that you usually get less people in a game on consoles that you do on the PC.. If they really want this game to have a "battlefield" feel, I hope you'll be able to play at the very least 15vs15...

I'm gonna keep an eye on that one, sounds promising...

• Ramonski7Ramonski7 Member UncommonPosts: 2,662
    Originally posted by Holgrum

Because 50+ million consoles(XBox and PS3 combined) are something they want a piece of and they've already given PC gamers their version of EvE's universe. But I'm sure after they're done fawning over console gamers, they'll make a PC port eventually......just don't complain that controls sucks because it feels like it was made for a console .

"Small minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas."

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

This is really interesting ,because it looks good.However,there is no question that this is what Eve should have been,instead of a bunch of spreadsheets.

Here is the sticky though.There is no question that you cannot generate money by updating Eve ,they knew this all along.This way they can sell a whole new game and not alienate the Eve fans,but instead get them to spend money and join the new game.

In reality ,the connection between the two games will be nothing more than a cheap link between missions.I can see no reason why anyone would want to give up playing in Dust environments to go play in the boring Eve sectors,with spreadsheets and ancient graphics.

This was a smart move though,on it's own it would have probably struggled badly,if they marketed it as the NEW  great Eve,it would have alienated the old Eve faithful and created another SWG,hate war.

What will be interesting in October when they release all the goodness,is what,game engine they are using and apparently they have hired some actual skilled game developing people,i would like to know where they came from.From what i am looking at ,it looks like a MODDED game from something similar to a HL or COD engine.

Anyhoot,not enough info on this puppy yet,to create any real feedback,other than Dust looks good,but will do nothing to improve Eve.They can link Dust all they want,till they turn blue in the face,this is NOT Eve and will be played by most as an independent game.The ONLY link to Eve is PURE marketing.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• ElsaboltsElsabolts Member RarePosts: 3,476

Ahh, come on folks there just trying to get there foot in the door for the consols. They will have a Pve server soon enough.

Jihad works both ways

" Life Liberty and the Pursuit of Those Who  Would Threaten It "
                                            MAGA
  • NussbaumNussbaum Member Posts: 27

PC is a great platform but the freedom the PC allows also means its much easier to cheat on. You can't allow that in a competetive game like EVE.

• tvalentinetvalentine Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 4,216
    Originally posted by Wizardry

boring Eve sectors,with spreadsheets and ancient graphics.

you're preaching to the wrong choir ..... and ancient graphics? Really?

Playing: EVE Online
    Favorite MMOs: WoW, SWG Pre-cu, Lineage 2, UO, EQ, EVE online
    Looking forward to: Archeage, Kingdom Under Fire 2
    KUF2's Official Website - http://www.kufii.com/ENG/ -

• PonicoPonico Member UncommonPosts: 650

Wait... Ancient graphics?

are you still looking at the 2003 graphics?

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Originally posted by tvalentine

boring Eve sectors,with spreadsheets and ancient graphics.

you're preaching to the wrong choir ..... and ancient graphics? Really?

Shhh.... don't argue with EVE haters, they just don't understand.

Not really much new in the OP, probably will be a while until we really learn anything in detail.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• PonicoPonico Member UncommonPosts: 650

My guess is that we're in for a big major surprise. Hopefully a good surprise! Now this means I need to buy a console though :(

• MinscMinsc Member UncommonPosts: 1,353

This is really interesting ,because it looks good.However,there is no question that this is what Eve should have been,instead of a bunch of spreadsheets.
    Here is the sticky though.There is no question that you cannot generate money by updating Eve ,they knew this all along.This way they can sell a whole new game and not alienate the Eve fans,but instead get them to spend money and join the new game.
    In reality ,the connection between the two games will be nothing more than a cheap link between missions.I can see no reason why anyone would want to give up playing in Dust environments to go play in the boring Eve sectors,with spreadsheets and ancient graphics.
    This was a smart move though,on it's own it would have probably struggled badly,if they marketed it as the NEW  great Eve,it would have alienated the old Eve faithful and created another SWG,hate war.
    What will be interesting in October when they release all the goodness,is what,game engine they are using and apparently they have hired some actual skilled game developing people,i would like to know where they came from.From what i am looking at ,it looks like a MODDED game from something similar to a HL or COD engine.
    Anyhoot,not enough info on this puppy yet,to create any real feedback,other than Dust looks good,but will do nothing to improve Eve.They can link Dust all they want,till they turn blue in the face,this is NOT Eve and will be played by most as an independent game.The ONLY link to Eve is PURE marketing.

Did you just seriously state that a monthly subsciption MMO can't generate more money by being updated, do you even understand how MMO's work? Do you not realise the fact that all of the graphics engines updates that CCP did to EVE is an EXTREMELY significant contributing factor to their continued and steady subscriber growth?

Also, ancient graphics....seriously? Which games are you using to compare the graphics quality of EVE too? Hell I've been beta testing both champions online and fallen earth and their graphics at max settings (on my gtx285) look like utter crap compared to EVE on max settings.

One more thing. The engine being used is likely the same one used in EVE itself, if you check out the vids from last fanfest of walking in stations you can see that CCP has for a long time had some really talented graphics programmers on staff.

• nurglesnurgles Member Posts: 840

Originally posted by Elsabolts
    Ahh, come on folks there just trying to get there foot in the door for the consols. They will have a Pve server soon enough.

LOL still on the same bandwagon and still so wrong. The focus of EVE is PVP territorial warfare, the focus of Dust is PVP territorial warfare, the overlap of the two games is PVP territorial warfare, all in one universe.

Do you even see the repeated design element?

• EnkinduEnkindu Member Posts: 1,098

Seriously, anyone that doesn't realize that a PvE server would instantly destroy everything that makes eve great....

Eve as it is has the best PvE of any game out there.  The "A I" is provided by the 20-40,000 sociopathic maniacs logged in at any given time.

deviliscious: (PS. I have been told that when I use scientific language, it does not make me sound more intelligent, it only makes me sound like a jackass. It makes me appear that I am not knowledgable enough in the subject I am discussing to be able to translate it for people outside the field to understand. Some advice you might consider as well)

• MalcanisMalcanis Member UncommonPosts: 3,297
    Originally posted by Elsabolts

Jihad works both ways

LOL. Talk about wishful thinking. What the hell does Dust have to do with a PvE server, come to that?

Give me liberty or give me lasers

• comerbcomerb Member UncommonPosts: 944

First, no this is not what Eve "should have been".  Eve is exactly what it is, and many people love it for being exactly that.  It's a beacon of light in a field of games  that are nothing but tarnished replicas of each-other. 

Dust is an expansion of the Eve Universe aimed at non-Eve players.  Most Eve players aren't particularly interested in the gameplay mechanics of a console shooter, much like most console FPS gamers aren't interested in a deep, slow paced, economy driven game like Eve.  The mere fact they are only marketing it as a console game shows they aren't looking to their Eve Customers as the primary potential buyers.

By tying the games together, it sets the console shooter apart from every other shooter as a persistent world MMO with real consequences.... and it also generates interest from the console crowd in Eve Online itself.  The trick is, it still has to be a great FPS.  Just because it touts around the MMO title above its head doesn't give it leave to suck in gameplay.

Done well,  it could be huge.  The first MMO that successfully blends console and pc gamers will, imo, be the next big thing.  CCP is taking a unique approach to this, and instead of making a singular game that plays on both, they are catering to the strengths of each platform and using two unique and separate games aimed at their respective audiences.

It will be interesting to see what happens.  

Done poorly, and it won't effect Eve negatively in the least.