Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why is my grammer super bad >_<

SgtFrogSgtFrog Member Posts: 5,001

I read allot and do well academically (lol well if I try) but no matter how much I try my spelling is so god dam awful and so is my grammar.

I’ve been trying to improve it for years but it just does not seem to get better, well my grammar has improved in recent years but my spelling is just does not get better, I’m not sure how to try and improve it...I think iv tried everything

Is this my fault or did I just have a bad education, my sister has none of this problems but she went to different school :/

ny hints or tips to help a frog

PS: im bilingual(spelling?) but english is my Mother tongue

March on! - Lets Invade Pekopon

Comments

• DekronDekron Member UncommonPosts: 7,359
    Originally posted by SgtFrog

I read allot and do well academically (lol well if I try) but no matter how much I try my spelling is so god dam awful and so is my grammar.
    I’ve been trying to improve it for years but it just does not seem to get better, well my grammar has improved in recent years but my spelling is just does not get better, I’m not sure how to try and improve it...I think iv tried everything
    Is this my fault or did I just have a bad education, my sister has none of this problems but she went to different school :/

I read a lot and I do well academically, but no matter how much I try, my spelling and my grammar are so god damned awful.

I have been trying to improve it for years without success. I believe my grammar has improved in recent years; however, my spelling has not. I am not sure how to improve it as, I believe, I have tried everything.

Is this my fault, or did I receive a bad education? My sister does not have these problems - she attended a non-government school.

Please provide hints, or tips, to assist a frog.

P.S. I am bilingual, but English is my native language.

Take your time, slow down and revise.

• CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,412

Rereading what you wrote usually correct most grammatical mistakes.

• AkaJetsonAkaJetson Member Posts: 1,167

I was like you, when I was 13.

?

• SgtFrogSgtFrog Member Posts: 5,001
    Originally posted by AkaJetson

Good for you

Originally posted by Dekron

I read a lot and I do well academically, but no matter how much I try, my spelling and my grammar are so god damned awful.

I have been trying to improve it for years without success. I believe my grammar has improved in recent years; however, my spelling has not. I am not sure how to improve it as, I believe, I have tried everything.

Is this my fault, or did I receive a bad education? My sister does not have these problems - she attended a non-government school.

not all of what i said was wrong, you just used another way to say it.

Good for you

Sorry about that, just came out =(

Just remember to spell and grammar check after every post lol.

Also when you're writing essays just think about the spelling before you write it.

?

Originally posted by Cleffy

yeah, i usually do i just dont bother that much when posting on forums, but my main proble is spelling.

i dont get why its bad, its the one thing that i still get incorrect after a reread my work.

Good for you

Sorry about that, just came out =(

Just remember to spell and grammar check after every post lol.

yeah but when it comes to exams i cant use a spell check :( which kinda sucks

You may have a slight form of dyslexia, just a thought, maybe you should go for one of those tests.

?

You may have a slight form of dyslexia, just a thought, maybe you should go for one of those tests.

a few years ago my school said they will test me for that then it jsut kinda never happend

• DafongDafong Member Posts: 224

When you consider sentence structure think about a simple sentence.

Paris is burning.

That is one of the most simple sentences, noun-subject and verb predicate.

You have a verb, burning, which is applied to the subject of the sentence, which is Paris.  The noun.  You can add an adjective:

Paris is burning brightly.

A pronoun is 'the, it, she, he' ....etc.  So:

Paris is ablaze, it is burning.

Here you have a Noun *Paris* the verb, *ablaze* a pronoun *it* and the verb *burning* 

Always try and remember that grammatically a sentence must have a noun or pronoun as a subject or object and a verb.

There are other factors, copula verbs, direct and indirect objects and subject complements, but the basic structure of the sentence should follow along those lines, noun/pronoun and verb.

If you bear that in mind when reviewing your sentences you will find your grammar improving.

The only other difficulty that crops up a lot for non-native English speakers is pronoun reference and agreement.  He went to the shops, it is his car, I was with him.  To an English speaker these are very easy and seldom get mixed up....His went to the shop, It was him car and I was with he...seldom happens, but for non-English speakers it can trip them up sometimes.

And you ask why your grammar and spelling is bad? You're failing to see the corrections.

And you ask why your grammar and spelling is bad? You're failing to see the corrections.

Nope, you corrected things that did not need to be corrected, it sounds too posh for my liking :P too formal for a forum

Originally posted by Dafong

When you consider sentence structure think about a simple sentence.

Paris is burning.

That is one of the most simple sentences, noun-subject and verb predicate.

You have a verb, burning, which is applied to the subject of the sentence, which is Paris.  The noun.  You can add an adjective:

Paris is burning brightly.

A pronoun is 'the, it, she, he' ....etc.  So:

Paris is ablaze, it is burning.

Here you have a Noun *Paris* the verb, *ablaze* a pronoun *it* and the verb *burning* 

Always try and remember that grammatically a sentence must have a noun or pronoun as a subject or object and a verb.

There are other factors, copula verbs, direct and indirect objects and subject complements, but the basic structure of the sentence should follow along those lines, noun/pronoun and verb.

If you bear that in mind when reviewing your sentences you will find your grammar improving.

The only other difficulty that crops up a lot for non-native English speakers is pronoun reference and agreement.  He went to the shops, it is his car, I was with him.  To an English speaker these are very easy and seldom get mixed up....His went to the shop, It was him car and I was with he...seldom happens, but for non-English speakers it can trip them up sometimes.

I think my main problem is linking long sentances and making them flow.

• baffbaff Member Posts: 9,457
    Originally posted by Cleffy

^^What this wise man says.^^

If you take the time you will get it right. If you don't, you won't.

• kazmokazmo Member Posts: 715

Nope, you corrected things that did not need to be corrected, it sounds too posh for my liking :P too formal for a forum

Don't ask for help and then turn around and scold anyone who answers you.

He said, take your time, revise your writing.

You said no.

So he points out why this may be a problem of yours. Overlooking things by trying to rush through it.

You also say in a later post that you think your problem is you try to connect sentences but end up making them flow. I'm assuming you mean flow on endlessly. This ties into taking your time, revising your writing. There is nothing "posh" or "snotty" about taking the time to punctuate a sentence, or stopping and going back to fix an error or to spice a few things up.

I'm not a writer nor am I a grammar expert by any means, but I try to keep my write-ups reasonable.

Originally posted by aeroplane22

You said no.

So he points out why this may be a problem of yours. Overlooking things by trying to rush through it.

You also say in a later post that you think your problem is you try to connect sentences but end up making them flow. I'm assuming you mean flow on endlessly. This ties into taking your time, revising your writing. There is nothing "posh" or "snotty" about taking the time to punctuate a sentence, or stopping and going back to fix an error or to spice a few things up.

I'm not a writer nor am I a grammar expert by any means, but I try to keep my write-ups reasonable.

yes i understand the point that i need to take my time and all ....but I did not or mean to scold anyone.

I appreciate his help and what he tried to do, but all i was trying to say is that some of what i wrote did not need correcting, he just wrote/put it another way...that is all

sorry if it came out rude :(

• reikaleereikalee Member Posts: 79

Grammatical mistakes are common even among the fluent so cheer up. ^^

And so long as you're still comprehensible, it shouldn't be a problem.

I am simply myself, no more and no less. And I only want to be free.

• tvalentinetvalentine Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 4,216

You said no.

yes i understand the point that i need to take my time and all ....but I did not or mean to scold anyone.

I appreciate his help and what he tried to do, but all i was trying to say is that some of what i wrote did not need correcting, he just wrote/put it another way...that is all

and the way he put it, it flowed and sounded better then your first post. Mind if i ask if you talk to others the same way you talk/type on the forum? My mom has bad grammar and spelling because when she writes a letter or anything, it comes out how she would have said it .... and shes a bit of a red neck ..... so when i proofread a letter of her's, it was written like how she talked. Thus the bad grammar and spelling.

Playing: EVE Online
    Favorite MMOs: WoW, SWG Pre-cu, Lineage 2, UO, EQ, EVE online
    Looking forward to: Archeage, Kingdom Under Fire 2
    KUF2's Official Website - http://www.kufii.com/ENG/ -

Agreed, but it is more real world application. That's what I thought you were asking. I suppose I misunderstood. I did a simple rewrite to point out grammatically incorrect portions, spelling and sentence structure.

• DafongDafong Member Posts: 224

You can avoid run-on sentences by thinking about what you are writing.   For instance these two sentences.

"My house has central heating and double glazing.  It gets very warm in summer."

These two seperate sentences are actually joined by rhetoric.  They are connected in their meaning; one is dependent on the other, but using a comma to make them one sentence would not be grammatically correct:

"My house has central heating and double glazing, it gets very warm in summer."  - Is wrong.  This is a run-on sentence.

You can create a single sentence by using a coordinate conjunction after the comma. Do not be put off by the complexity of this word, it simply means - and, or, but etc.  So if we look at the sentences we have:

"My house has central heating and double glazing, and it gets very warm in summer." - This is correct.

You can see from this post that I have used the coordinate conjunction in my own sentence:

"They are connected in their meaning; one is dependent on the other, but using a comma to make them one sentence would not be grammatically correct"

Here I have used the word "but" instead of "and".  This is how you avoid the long run-on sentences that you might be worried about.

• AstropuyoAstropuyo Member RarePosts: 2,178

Allow me to assist.

Get an English tutor.

Tutor's are common enough.

Originally posted by tvalentine

You said no.

and the way he put it, it flowed and sounded better then your first post. Mind if i ask if you talk to others the same way you talk/type on the forum? My mom has bad grammar and spelling because when she writes a letter or anything, it comes out how she would have said it .... and shes a bit of a red neck ..... so when i proofread a letter of her's, it was written like how she talked. Thus the bad grammar and spelling.

Well i dont talk how i type, but i do talk in more of a london slang accent.

Agreed, but it is more real world application. That's what I thought you were asking. I suppose I misunderstood. I did a simple rewrite to point out grammatically incorrect portions, spelling and sentence structure.

well i guess it does help heh, sorry if i sounded a little rude earlier and thanks for the help :)

• LeKinKLeKinK Member Posts: 899

Your super bad grammar is 10 times better then mine.  But to my defence when translating french to english I have to inverse a lot of words like, for example,  the blue door if translated litterally from french it would be : the door blue.  People  call me a retard if I don't say in my sig I speak french.