Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Confirmed that Console and PC players playing together

AmazingAveryAmazingAvery Age of Conan AdvocateMember UncommonPosts: 7,188

Was just reading this article today on the game:

zoknowsgaming.com/2009/08/26/ffxivcrossplatforminteractivity/

Square Enix’s Global Online Producer Sage Sundi recently confirmed toOneLastContinue that Final Fantasy XIV Online will support cross-platform interactivity for players. This means that both Playstation 3 and PC users will be able to interact with each other across the different platforms. Mr. Sundi explained that cross-platform interactivity often causes problems with online identities, so the team is looking into implementing a name/surname system into the game to allow players with the same identity to have a dual name. This would hopefully put a stop to arguments about identity theft.

Sage also went on to say that the Playstation 3 version of Final Fantasy XIV will have full keyboard and mouse support. This will make Final Fantasy XIV the second full-scale Playstation 3 game to implement such a feature.

Interesting! I have a PS3 but thinking it might be better for me at the desk with the PC.  I like the flexibility though.

Comments

• xersentxersent Member Posts: 613

Hmm sounds good , im still pondering, weather to get the ps3 or PC version... hmm do i play on 22" monitor or a 37" 1080p TV.... also its nice to have a big tv... i think its too big for playing games , maybe a 26-28" would of been better.

• AmazingAveryAmazingAvery Age of Conan AdvocateMember UncommonPosts: 7,188
    Originally posted by xersent

Hmm sounds good , im still pondering, weather to get the ps3 or PC version... hmm do i play on 22" monitor or a 37" 1080p TV.... also its nice to have a big tv... i think its too big for playing games , maybe a 26-28" would of been better.

I'll be on a 28" HD monitor, just recently brought for $300 :) but I do like playing from the sofa too. Ahhh.

• BellarionBellarion Member Posts: 244

One of my favourite things about the FF11 community was that it was a true online mmo that allowed all players to play on the same servers. Whether PC and  PS3 or Canadian and Japanese. Definitely something that creates a diverse and always interesting commmunity. FF11 players benefitted from this I believe, it was a great way to create a global(to a degree) community.

With FF14 and a global launch, we have the ability to allow all players to start off at the same starting point. This will create an even bettr community built on helping one another and learning together. Japan launch for FF11 was a year or more earlier then the NA launch and Europe launch if I remember correctly was something lik 4 years after NA, Xbox was crazy long after as well.

SE has stated that we will have the PC and PS3 launched in Europe, NA and Asia at the same time for FF14. If SE pulls this off they could have an amazing community and starting point for their game. With 9 years under their belt of worldwide servers, this should be a definite, but who knows at this stage whether they will pull out of that decision.

WOOT
    www.eorzeapedia.com
    (Great FF14 source)

• TheStarheartTheStarheart Member Posts: 368

They didn't have the pull/popularity to pull it off originally in the MMO market, and now that XI has been strong for so long, you will absolutely, without a doubt, see them pulling off a successful world launch.

• SoulSurferSoulSurfer Member UncommonPosts: 1,024

So they are giving console users the option of using controller+keyboard, OR mouse+keyboard?  I couldn't see playing with mouse, controller, and keyboard all at the same time. XD

• WSIMikeWSIMike Member Posts: 5,564

Very good news, IMO.

I love the fact that they'll have both platforms on the same servers.

As I recall reading, they plan to have all regions on the same servers as well, like in FFXI. That's awesome to me. I love how SE works to bring different cultures together and provides the means to communicate (though, admittedly, the autotranslator isn't always very helpful). They do this, as well, by having in-game events that reflect Eastern culture as much as Western Culture. 

I've met some very cool people, from all over the place and even started learning a bit of Japanese from one player I was in a party with for a couple hours.

I just really like that aspect of FFXI and am glad they want to do the same in FFXIV.

"If you just step away for a sec you will clearly see all the pot holes in the road,
    and the cash shop selling asphalt..."
    - Mimzel on F2P/Cash Shops

• swalker23swalker23 Member Posts: 266
    Originally posted by xersent

Personally I will be buying both version, but will buy the PC version first. I will get the PC version first because I know I will put alot of hours into the game at launch and beyond and don't want that much stress on my PS3 and also I don't want to leave my ps3 on overnight when bazaaring items thats if they implement that into the game. Majority of us FFXI vets kinda knew it was going to be multiplatform due to XI was made that way but I'm glad to here that is confirmed.

• SgtFrogSgtFrog Member Posts: 5,001

this is a good adea as console players always die out quicker than PC, keep servers more alive for both sides

March on! - Lets Invade Pekopon

• RajenRajen Member Posts: 689

This isn't much of a surprise since it was this way in FFXI, but it is great that everyone gets to start at the same time instead of 6 months apart.

• ABRaquelABRaquel Member UncommonPosts: 541

So I'm wondering, can one person play FFXIV using the same account on either PC or PS3 or are you restricted to the version you buy?

I'm asking because there are times that I would prefer to just lounge on the sofa and play the game on my PS3 and there are others where I would prefer to play it on the PC.

• zanfirezanfire Member UncommonPosts: 969
    Originally posted by ABRaquel

So I'm wondering, can one person play FFXIV using the same account on either PC or PS3 or are you restricted to the version you buy?
    I'm asking because there are times that I would prefer to just lounge on the sofa and play the game on my PS3 and there are others where I would prefer to play it on the PC.

in FFXI you could log in to either version ( i personaly went from PS2 > X360>PC) so its 99.9% likely it will be the same way, heck you could always guest log in on a friends system as long as you know you ID and pass.