Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Thinking of coming to play EVE

Big.Daddy.SamediBig.Daddy.Samedi Member UncommonPosts: 409

Good Day,

I have been seriously considering coming to play EVE for something new. I would like some really good suggestions for getting started... skills to train. Maybe a good template for skills for the first while so that I get into Mission Running and DED Complex runs. Something to make money while I wait to get into some PVP and 0Sec stuff

Averros

Comments

• XennithXennith Member Posts: 1,244

Ok, if you want to do PvE, then caldari ships are quite good, but in PvP caldari fall short outside of certain niche roles such as ecm (one of eve's crowd control mechanics), long range sniping and heavy shield tanking. Caldari ships rely on missiles and shields mostly, and a good progression might be:

rookie ship -> kestral (level 1 missions) -> caracal (level 2 missions) -> drake(level3 missions) -> raven (level 4 missions) -> golem / navy issue raven

in pvp you have a choice of the crow / raptor /flycatcher for tackle, the falcon and rook for ecm support and the rokh for sniping.

galente ships focus on drones/blasters and armour tanks, and so are a little more flexible, they work well in both missions and pvp, a good route might be:

rookie ship -> tristan -> vexor -> myrmidon -> dominix (drones)

or

rookie ship -> tristan -> thorax -> brutix -> megathron (blasters)

basic skillplan should really be to do the tutorial and get into a fitted tech 1 frig. the tutorial will guide you down this path, from there, you want to look at "support skills" which is basically any skill with gives an increase to something that your ship does, so sharpshooter increases turret damage, <racial> frigate increases the bonuses you get from your ship when flying it.

learning skills increase the speed you learn skills at, do these, but not urgently, do some fun things first.

if you want to try pvp, you will need propulsion jamming trained so you can fit a warp disruptor to stop your target running away.

best advice: do the tutorial, read some guides, ask questions in this thread and ill try to answer them.

• donmaximodonmaximo Member Posts: 67

Glad to see another person joining the ranks of this awesome game! Although I'm no expert (far from it) I'd like to add to the above post and say that checking out the Battleclinic website for ship loadouts is a good idea. Most of the comments on peoples loadouts are very informative and help you to understand what modules do what. Also, look at getting into a player corp as soon as you can. Playing with other people, in fleets of PvP, miners, or whatever really make the game shine. Plus, a player corp is an invaluable asset for learning, as generally they are invested in your progression and will give you solid advice.

If you're looking for a casual player corp to start PM me in game (Xedam Praxis) and I can point you to 1 or 2 that would be good choices (in my experience) for a beginner. Good luck!

Oh, and pick up as many learning skills as you can at the beginning as training them up first greatly reduces your training time later on.

Cheers!

• LaoZhuZongLaoZhuZong Member Posts: 62

EVE Online is a very special game which you are not able to see any people walking around (at least at this time, who knows), or beautiful avatar. What you see is space, stars, warp gates, ships, market tables, skills charts, skeleton star map etc.

Love it or hate it.

Skills learning is time base, and you only need to buy the books and start. If you dont like the skill, feel free to stop and get others. You won't be in a situation like "Oh no! I learn the wrong skill, what should I do, can I reset?"

In fact, if you have gone through the tutorial and pay attention to all the messages, you should have an idea what to do next.

There isnt any skill template, if you're not able to learn a particular skill, probably you have not reach the min req from other skills.

You get the hang of that later.

Go explore and fly safe.

• BademBadem Member Posts: 830

as an avid EvE player I have played this game on and off (trial versions) for teh past 4 years or so, but have really got into it with the launch of apocrypha. All the advice above is good advice, remember that a good corp can make or break your game, know what it is you want to do then do it

I started as a miner by choice and spent a fair time learning my skills up to fly the biggest mining ship I could find (aptly called Deeps Space Mine, Manic Miner got ganked by accident) and while I was doing that I had trained up my drones to ensure my miner was defended, once I had done that I then switched to doing my combat ships so I could run Missions

I am now a matter of weeks away from my first Nighthawk and then deciding what my next objective is going to be, its always good to give yourself goals to work towards and get that sense of achievment

my ultimate aim? Carrier with Fighters and a hidey hole in WH space to play in :)

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342

Originally posted by parrotpholk
    My advice as a fellow new player is do the tutorials and all the career agent missions. Also get learning skill to level 5 asap, you can buy the book off the market. Then look into corps. I got into a great industrial corp and skipped the EVE Uni type corps all together. Small corp big alliance in my opinion is the way to go but others thoughts may vary. Also my other advice is try figuring out the answer to your question or looking it up before asking. The community is very helpful but at the same time if its a stupid question will have zero issue telling you that it was.

Learning skills at 5 is pretty much a waste of time, especialy for new player.

• XennithXennith Member Posts: 1,244

As far as learning skills go, get them to level 4 first starting with int and mem. then forget them for a month or three while you find a fun ship to while away a few weeks.

• qwenidenqweniden Member Posts: 151

Some advice:

1.  Do all the tutorials, twice
    2. Get in a medium-sized corp early that trains new players. 
    3. Interview with alot of corps before picking one.  Dont join one that doesnt require you to submit your limited API as part of the application or doesnt use voice coms.  Ask how many people they have logged on at the moment you are being interveiwed.
    4. If you want to run missions, pick a corp that will commit to helping you get level 4 missions quickly
    5. Pick a direction you want to go and focus on that.  Dont spread your training around
    6. If you are sure you want to stick with eve, either buy ISK with PLEX or get a loan so you can train the learning skills first
    7. If you want to PVP right away you can.  Many corps will put you in a frig and train your to tackle right away (tackling is keeping the target from flying away).  Its a myth that PVP is only for high skill point players.
    8. Get your core competency certificates up after your training skills
    9. Faction Warfare is probablly the best way to learn pvp

Feel free to contact me 'Bodhi Warrior' in game for help.

• tvalentinetvalentine Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 4,216
    Originally posted by Gdemami

My advice as a fellow new player is do the tutorials and all the career agent missions. Also get learning skill to level 5 asap, you can buy the book off the market. Then look into corps. I got into a great industrial corp and skipped the EVE Uni type corps all together. Small corp big alliance in my opinion is the way to go but others thoughts may vary. Also my other advice is try figuring out the answer to your question or looking it up before asking. The community is very helpful but at the same time if its a stupid question will have zero issue telling you that it was.

i agree. Although i believe mine are a bit lower then they should be, they are at 3-4 (adv - basic). Spending months just to get those skills at 5 could have been used elsewhere on skills that are much more needed in doing what you want to do. Once you finish up getting most of your skills to 5 (for the ship(s) you fly) then i would start working on getting them to 5.

Playing: EVE Online
    Favorite MMOs: WoW, SWG Pre-cu, Lineage 2, UO, EQ, EVE online
    Looking forward to: Archeage, Kingdom Under Fire 2
    KUF2's Official Website - http://www.kufii.com/ENG/ -

• qwenidenqweniden Member Posts: 151
    Originally posted by tvalentine

Originally posted by Gdemami

i agree. Although i believe mine are a bit lower then they should be, they are at 3-4 (adv - basic). Spending months just to get those skills at 5 could have been used elsewhere on skills that are much more needed in doing what you want to do. Once you finish up getting most of your skills to 5 (for the ship(s) you fly) then i would start working on getting them to 5.

After a player can do a basic cruiser t1 fit, I highly recomend that they use all their remaining 100% newbie SP bonus to train the learning skills (and in a smart order).  Doing this saves a significant amount of time in the long run.  EvE is a game of long term planning.

• ElsaboltsElsabolts Member RarePosts: 3,476

Words to remember " At a gate camp Pod pilots have no say"

Jihad works both ways

" Life Liberty and the Pursuit of Those Who  Would Threaten It "
                                            MAGA
  • YobnocYobnoc Member Posts: 2

Some sound advice up there. If you want PvE/PvP go Gallente. Caldari is best for PvE but generally sucks for PvP. Gall are good at both. One piece of advice I haven't seen mentioned. Get (EVE MON). It's an app that helps you plan your skills. Pick a ship for running missions. Figure out a fit for it and plug in the skills into EvE Mon. It will tell you what learning skills you should train to get into that ship/fitting the fastest and in which order to train them. After that start training the rest of the learning skills. Also get into a Corp that will give you some cheap implants. Train the skill for implants and plug them in as soon as possible.