Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

"Over 50 million players" . . . um, what?

The ad on the main MMORPG page for this game has the statement "over 50 million players" prominently displayed.

Is that just like, a lie?  Or is there some verification for that somewhere?

How does this game have that many players?

Originally posted by Wighty

It's like the latest batch of MMO's are like a f'n Kevin Costner movie... <think Waterworld, the Postman, etc> they cost a FORTUNE, they sound like they may be good but then you just realized you sat around for 3 hours of WTF...

Comments

• twiggy550twiggy550 Member UncommonPosts: 492

One word for you my good sir: ASIANS

"IRL is a pretty upstanding MMO with thousands of classes, a lot of PvP and even some pretty unique emotes and titles you can acquire. Explore that world first, then we'll talk about this virtual one."

• sazabisazabi Member UncommonPosts: 389

i have over nine thousand packs of bubble gum here in my pocket.

actually not only i dont, but it would be impossible to fit so many in my pocket.

same with perfect world. they probably have 50 times less players and they couldnt fit more than 1,5 mil players in their servers. active and inactive ones combined ;p

• twiggy550twiggy550 Member UncommonPosts: 492
    Originally posted by sazabi

not.

VEGETA, WHAT DOES THE SCOUTER SAY ABOUT HIS POWER LEVELS?

"IRL is a pretty upstanding MMO with thousands of classes, a lot of PvP and even some pretty unique emotes and titles you can acquire. Explore that world first, then we'll talk about this virtual one."

• Superman0XSuperman0X Member RarePosts: 2,292
    Originally posted by sazabi

And I thought you were just glad to see me...

• feena750feena750 Member UncommonPosts: 330

That is most likely total registered users.  Only a fraction are currently playing.

• KorhindiKorhindi Member CommonPosts: 395
    Originally posted by firesnake77

The ad on the main MMORPG page for this game has the statement "over 50 million players" prominently displayed.

I wondered the same thing, especially since they claim it is Perfect World International having the 50 million players.

I would wager that PWI is also counting registered users/accounts/downloads from the Chinese and Malasian versions of Perfect World.  This would make the claim false advertising since Perfect World International is a seperate entity from the other Perfect World games.  

If they mentioned this was the entire registered base (aka accounts or downloads)  for the whole Perfect World franchise (PWI + PW China + PW MY etc) I would be more inclined to accept this, for the game is extremely popular in China.

PWI has a whole 5 servers, so the only conclusions are that most of the 50 million never actually play, or that those numbers are being bolstered from another source, or a mix of both.

• Mr.HappyMr.Happy Member CommonPosts: 64
    Originally posted by twiggy550

LOL Does that mean WoW has lots of asians playing that then?

• DameonkDameonk Member UncommonPosts: 1,914
    Originally posted by Mr.Happy

Originally posted by twiggy550

LOL Does that mean WoW has lots of asians playing that then?

Yes, actually.  7 million of the 10 million WoW subscribers are from Eastern countries.

"There is as yet insufficient data for a meaningful answer."

• wyrdewyrde Member UncommonPosts: 54

Hmmm. I believe PWI can, technically, claim the subscriber base of all the other franchises. Though I don't condone it--it's very misleading, at the very least. PWI is a subsidiary of PWRD (the original developing company) which in turn franchises the property for pw.my, pw.ms, pw.ru etc etc. Even then the number is probably based on the number of characters created rather than accounts or players (more than one account is allowed and each account can have eight characters).

Though why they feel they have to be so misleading is beyond me... the game is amazingly popular. In fact, PWI is so popular it has been hurting the longer-established franchises quite a bit. (Though to give them credit, the first 50 or so levels are a lot of fun.)

And making a decent amount of money while they do it. Check out the financial reports at pwrd.com sometime.

-w

• Originally posted by firesnake77

The number quoted I believe is the total number of accounts over ALL the versions. The biggest of which is the China version base which probably accounts for 95+ % of that number. The company is making quite a bit of money in total (10s of millions) so I think the number is somewhat accurate, how much of it is from PWI they do not indicate.

Perfect World Entertainment a public company OWNS all the versions including PWI so I guess they can "claim" the number although I agree it is misleading.

Nevertheless, on PWI, on the more popular servers like Heavens Tear it does seem quite crowded with good community action 24/7.

• crunchyblackcrunchyblack Member Posts: 1,362

50 million people signed up for a game thats free is all i gatherd from this.

Kind of like how wow counts the 7mil asians who at one time bought a time card as active players, still.

• MorgarenMorgaren Member UncommonPosts: 397

I can believe it, I got it, played it, and never canceled my account, even though I haven't played it in about four months, its an alright game, for free, just got the item mall thing which isn't neccesarily a bad thing in my book, but when I found out I had to buy an item from the mall to use regional chat, I said screw it.

Still didn't cancel, so I'm an active player, and can you cancel to a free MMO? never really thought of that actually.

• SwiftpainSwiftpain Member Posts: 35

50 million is a drop in the bucket when you have 3 billion asians. Plus if they don't delete the accounts and count spammers and what not.... your numbers will always be huge :P

• minix2poominix2poo Member Posts: 49
    Originally posted by EllieX

Originally posted by firesnake77

The number quoted I believe is the total number of accounts over ALL the versions. The biggest of which is the China version base which probably accounts for 95+ % of that number. The company is making quite a bit of money in total (10s of millions) so I think the number is somewhat accurate, how much of it is from PWI they do not indicate.

Perfect World Entertainment a public company OWNS all the versions including PWI so I guess they can "claim" the number although I agree it is misleading.

Nevertheless, on PWI, on the more popular servers like Heavens Tear it does seem quite crowded with good community action 24/7.

10s of million sounds really small..... Imagine AION ( or other P2P MMOs) would have 50million user. for the 1st Month they would get 2,5billion ( just taking the retail price for AION of  50bucks, and not including the 1 month you have to subscribe anyways if you have the preorder. and sure need to have 50million players starting at the same time for this number). But then it will be around 650million every month :P

• quickman007quickman007 Member Posts: 125

because the only other thing they could say is "welcome to our slightly above average F2P MMORPG that you'll quit in about 3 weeks!!"