Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is PlayOnline insane? SecureCode/3-D Secure required

Comments

• RawR_I_KeelURawR_I_KeelU Member Posts: 11

I talked to someone about this. I believe it is actualy a law to have a secure code on your cards. And SE is not allowd to let anyone play without it. If i remember correctly, anyone without it has an illegit card. 

I could be wrong. but this may be why you guys are having this problem. 

Maybe ask SE why they required you to have the Secure card.

Hi........

Go away

LEMME ALONE!!

NAOOOOOWWWWWW

please? :(

• SatimasuSatimasu Member UncommonPosts: 900

So the government screwed everything up you're saying? Just another reason to hate them and their hate pile is already full enough as it is.

To be the best, you must help each other become the best.
    FFXI Character: Satimasu
    FFXI Server: Valefor
    FFXIV Character: Tamorae Fonteil

• neKrowneKrow Member UncommonPosts: 170

huh... you know that any visa or mastercard can be 3D-Secure right? I just upgraded mine on the masercard site.

I am in a linkshell of.. I dunno maybe 50 people. not a huge cross-section of the game but I didnt hear a word of this ever. Everyone just used a secure card and kept playing.

I mean I didn't even hear a rumor of anyone having any problems with it. I bet that the RMT's use stolen credit cards alot and this was an attempt to help with that problem.

• ghaleonx128ghaleonx128 Member Posts: 145

Not a problem specific to this, but since this is sort of a "SE sucks" thread it works.  Got the "free" trial a couple months ago at gamestop.  Set up was pretty confusing, had to buy a content ID or whatever for like 2 bucks, but only 2 bucks I thought, no biggie.  Finally got into the game, didn't like it and decided not to play.  Little did I know they automatically put me on a monthly plan which confused the heck out of me.  Their login system sucks, I think the way they do it you can't choose a PW, they give it to you and its like 8 random numbers. Of course to cancel you need it, they seem to purposely make things difficult in hopes that stuff like this happens where they get "lucky" and have a guy pay em monthly for a product they aren't using.  

I'll get my money back one way or another lol. ; )

• SatimasuSatimasu Member UncommonPosts: 900

Problem with that is that they tell you these things before you play. That and to make a Content ID, you have to see the cancel option in the selections with it. So it's not really an excuse. It's the whole " Try for free, and cancel anytime" thing.That's more of a your fault that you didn't make sure you canceled it before they started charging. You should accept you made the mistake and take the hit, it was on you.

To be the best, you must help each other become the best.
    FFXI Character: Satimasu
    FFXI Server: Valefor
    FFXIV Character: Tamorae Fonteil

• ghaleonx128ghaleonx128 Member Posts: 145

Play Online is overly complicated and "bad" compared to other mmos, I think there's a general agreement on that.  But I'll get my money back. Either way they should think about what they can do to help the customer, especially the younger ones (which most gamers are) since they'll be playing and buying their games for decades, not a good idea from a business perspective.

You shouldn't even have to *pay* for a content ID after you've bought the trial from a store, WoW nor any other mmo does that. Say what you want about the WoW's gameplay, but playing on and off for years and I've never gotten screwed by them, and they got a TON of money from me lol.  So you can be nice as a company and still make huge $$$. 

I've heard bad things from other people concerning play online, and also Funcom.  People cancelling and they still continue to charge, that sorta thing..

• SonikFlashSonikFlash Member UncommonPosts: 561

It's never the players fault when the company in question performs such as this, I love FF, but playonline is worse than SoE imo.

• CarilliCarilli Member UncommonPosts: 41

ive played for 5 yrs tried to update with my 3d secured card lol im still waiting for a call back after going on 2 weeks. starting to wander lol and look for a new game.

• blackthornnblackthornn Member UncommonPosts: 615
    Originally posted by SonikFlash

It's never the players fault when the company in question performs such as this, I love FF, but playonline is worse than SoE imo.

I was just about to ask if I missed the memo that Smed was working for SE/PO now :P

Grouping in Old school mmo's: meeting someone at the bar and chatting, getting to know them before jumping into bed.  Current mmo's grouping: tinder.  swipe, hookup, hope you don't get herpes, never see them again.
  • EkibiogamiEkibiogami Member UncommonPosts: 2,154
    Originally posted by SonikFlash

Try Reactivateing a long dead account >.<

PlayOnline is 100 times worse than anything Ive ever had to put up with at SoE.

Thank God they are killing it for FFXIV

If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude; greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.
    —Samuel Adams

• shankinshankin Member Posts: 15
    Originally posted by neKrow

huh... you know that any visa or mastercard can be 3D-Secure right? I just upgraded mine on the masercard site.
    I am in a linkshell of.. I dunno maybe 50 people. not a huge cross-section of the game but I didnt hear a word of this ever. Everyone just used a secure card and kept playing.
    I mean I didn't even hear a rumor of anyone having any problems with it. I bet that the RMT's use stolen credit cards alot and this was an attempt to help with that problem.

Actually, if you'd read the original post, you'd know that ANY Visa or MasterCard CAN'T be 3D-Secure.  It's only possible if your credit card company or bank signs up with Visa or MasterCard to get the service.  There are many, many credit card providers who are not on the list.  That was the point of the thread.

In the beginning, there was nothing, then God said, "Let there be light." And there as light. There was still nothing, but you could see it a lot better.

• curiindicuriindi Member Posts: 488

My VISA doesn't have Verified, but luckily I was already subscribing so I didn't have to go through the trouble. It can just be me or school starting again, but I can feel the decrease of lower level characters in the game nowadays, and if that's the case I'm sure going with 3-D Secure must make FFXI very unfriendly for newcomers.

The only explanation I can think of is that FFXI was experiencing some serious billing issues, possibly some epic amount of incoming fraud, that they absolutely have to make such a change. Otherwise, there is no reason to make joining the game harder.

With regards to paying subscription after forgetting to cancel an account, I remember reading somewhere that a person can get their subscription refunded if they call and show that they haven't logged on since before billing, and I don't think I mistook that from a post in Aion.

• DignaDigna Member UncommonPosts: 1,994

I am really disappointed. I bought the new 'special edition' from D2D, installed without a hitch and now I can't get past this stupid credit card  'not 3D card Verifiable...etc'. A complete waste of 22 dollars. I rarely get angry at companies but this is BS.

I've seen some stupid things from MMO companies but this is right up there near the top.

• jarziumjarzium Member Posts: 40

this is ridiculous! i paid for the ultimate collection over Steam and i just found out that there's no way i can play the game because of the SecureCode requirement. is there anyway i can get a refund? 

i must say, play online is such a terrible system! 

• EuphorykEuphoryk Member Posts: 450

www.playonline.com/ff11us/polnews/news16694.shtml

Read this if you are having issues with 3D Secure and/or want to try and get a refund.

• jarziumjarzium Member Posts: 40
    Originally posted by Euphoryk

www.playonline.com/ff11us/polnews/news16694.shtml
    Read this if you are having issues with 3D Secure and/or want to try and get a refund.

you're a lifesaver!

• ScyrisScyris Member UncommonPosts: 149

I have seen mmo people do some stupid shyt in my time, but I don't quite think anything can top this, they just possibly screwed over half their playerbase. me Included, I was thinking of getting a pre-paid card to open my acct.. but now that this happened I am glad I didn't

• micjacksonmicjackson Member Posts: 2

Guys listen, there is an easy way around this 3-d secure bull @%@$.  All you have to do is either buy the console version (you don't even need codes if you already have them on the pc version) or find someone who does have the console version and log in playonline from the console.  The console versions still do not use the 3-d verification system, so basically you can sign up with any card you want (Visa or Mastercard i'm assuming).  So don't get pissed off, just go around it.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,001

My guess is that companies are sick and tired of dealing with "fraud" claims. I say "fraud" because I get the sense that sometimes there are legitimate charges that the players then try to claim "they didn't do".

So it is possible that Final Fantasy gets a lot of these claims and it is more than possible that the credit card company has asked them to help mitigate these claims.

Since the service is free I don't see what the big deal is. More security for you is good.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • WSIMikeWSIMike Member Posts: 5,564

Well, whew... just found out the bank I'm switching to supports it for their issued Mastercards. That had me worried for a moment o.o;

"If you just step away for a sec you will clearly see all the pot holes in the road,
    and the cash shop selling asphalt..."
    - Mimzel on F2P/Cash Shops

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

I definitely feel for MANY people,as their customer support may seem like they are trying to do an admirable job,but imo not really.

I guess it is partially Square Enix fault as they NEVER communicate with us NA's players.I am sure they have given their reasons to the locals in Japan,but it would be nice to share it with us over here...VERY poor customer support and communication.

The only thing i can guess is that there is so many dumb asses using RMT in all games,there is a ton of hacking of accounts and personal ID.What is worse is MOST of the RMT people are based  out of Asia/Korea and so happens Korea has been near the top for CC fraud for years now.So they may very well have a problem with RMT loading up massive accounts using illegal CC's.

So we need to be a bit fair and realize that if they are getting scammed on many occasions by illegal CC fraud,we have to see their stance as their only reasonable option.

RMT and cheating hacking has got down right ridiculous in games.For this reason alone we need developers to design their games,so none of this will happen,this way the RMT looking to cash in will not participate,you will not have player accounts getting hacked and the security would be less of a factor.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• WSIMikeWSIMike Member Posts: 5,564
    Originally posted by Wizardry

I definitely feel for MANY people,as their customer support may seem like they are trying to do an admirable job,but imo not really.
    I guess it is partially Square Enix fault as they NEVER communicate with us NA's players.I am sure they have given their reasons to the locals in Japan,but it would be nice to share it with us over here...VERY poor customer support and communication.
    The only thing i can guess is that there is so many dumb asses using RMT in all games,there is a ton of hacking of accounts and personal ID.What is worse is MOST of the RMT people are based  out of Asia/Korea and so happens Korea has been near the top for CC fraud for years now.So they may very well have a problem with RMT loading up massive accounts using illegal CC's.
    So we need to be a bit fair and realize that if they are getting scammed on many occasions by illegal CC fraud,we have to see their stance as their only reasonable option.
    RMT and cheating hacking has got down right ridiculous in games.For this reason alone we need developers to design their games,so none of this will happen,this way the RMT looking to cash in will not participate,you will not have player accounts getting hacked and the security would be less of a factor.

Well, I do agree that the whole PlayOnline thing is superfluous. I know they originally intended it to be something of a "games portal" and it never quite panned out that way. Luckily they're doing away with it for FFXIV and going with a more "direct" login system.

As for hacking and RMT... yeah it's really gotten out of hand. To think that there are still people out there who think RMT is harmless and there's nothing wrong with supporting the companies by doing business with them, while the proof that those same types of companies are using tactics that are very much *not* okay (phishing attempts, etc) really shows just how myopic and self-centered some people can be.

And for any who want to say "well if you go to a link given to you in a game, then you deserve it" as a way to justify it... I partially agree with you... the people are doing it are a bit bone-headed. However, the fact is those companies are using those tactics in the first place, they are not "on the up and up", they are not running a legit business and they know it. They're being banned en-masse when they create new accounts so they're trying to instead snag accounts from legit players. That is not "okay". Whether or not man players fall for it is completely irrelevant. The fact that they're doing it at all is proof enough that RMT is *not* "A-Okay". The fact that in FFXI RMT companies are now trying to figure out ways to bypass filters that garble up their RMT ads is proof enough that SE don't want them there and that it's not "A-Okay".

If that's the reason SE implemented the 3D Secure system, then I think that's even further proof that it's a problem and not "A-Okay" that RMT companies are setting up shop in their game.

So if anyone wants to defend RMT companies and *still* insist that there's no harm in it, by all means, continue acting self-centered and closed-minded. Just don't expect "understanding" from the rest of us and don't dare blame the devs when your account is compromised. I know someone in real life whose account was compromised by the very company he'd purchased services from. They waited about 6 months then snagged his account. Did he blame himself for being such a dumbass as to do business with those people in the first place? Nope. He blamed the devs of the game. Go figure.

"If you just step away for a sec you will clearly see all the pot holes in the road,
    and the cash shop selling asphalt..."
    - Mimzel on F2P/Cash Shops

• demonic87demonic87 Member UncommonPosts: 438

So basically, they put this in to cut down on hacked accounts, yet shut down all hackable accounts in the process....ya, real good buisness move...

• DreysonDreyson Member UncommonPosts: 58
    Originally posted by micjackson

Guys listen, there is an easy way around this 3-d secure bull @%@$.  All you have to do is either buy the console version (you don't even need codes if you already have them on the pc version) or find someone who does have the console version and log in playonline from the console.  The console versions still do not use the 3-d verification system, so basically you can sign up with any card you want (Visa or Mastercard i'm assuming).  So don't get pissed off, just go around it.

I can confirm this works. Kind of a pain, and doesn't make a whole lotta sense but atleast it's a work around.

• KhrymsonKhrymson Member UncommonPosts: 3,090
    Originally posted by Dreyson

Originally posted by micjackson

I can confirm this works. Kind of a pain, and doesn't make a whole lotta sense but atleast it's a work around.

And then when your account gets banned from being hacked and used as RMT, remember that you chose not to secure your account further and its your fault, not SE!