Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Possible that Kotor Skills will be in ToR?

After watching the GC 09: Walkthrough I noticed something not listed in darthhaters guide. (darthhater.com/2009/08/21/dissected-demo-walkthrough-video/)

Remember all of the Kotor Stats?

Strength

Dexterity

Constitution

Intelligence

Wisdom

Charisma

Those stats contributed to these listed below.

(details provided by Wookieepedia)

* Stealth - related to Dexterity, is required to use the stealth field generator items and entering Stealth Mode. While in Stealth Mode, the character is put into Solo Mode and is undetectable, if the enemies Awareness stats are beaten by the character's Stealth stat, even if they are in the enemy's direct line of sight. While in Stealth Mode, a character must walk slowly unless they have learned the Stealth Run Feat, other than that, they will be able to perform all tasks except communication or combat. These disrupt the field and eject the character from Stealth Mode.

* Awareness - related to Wisdom, is used to determine if a character notices mines or enemies using stealth technology. It is always active, though there is a penalty to its effectiveness if the character is running.

* Repair -  corresponds with Intelligence.

* Treat Injury - is related to Wisdom.

And finally we have,

* Persuade - related to Charisma, is a skill that only Revan can learn. It determines whether or not the player can convince an NPC of something. The option only appears in conversation when there is something a character is hiding or knows that could help the character in a quest. It can also be used to convince them to do something. Certain requests can be harder to convince a character to do: asking a guard to lift a bounty on someone's head would be easier than asking the same guard to leave his post.

This cut out is taken directly from the GC 09 video. And for those unable to read it, it says "[Persuade] Learn from this.". So it seems stats may actually be part of the game still having the same effects. Even more proof.

(Screenshot courtesy of darthhater.com)

Here it lists "Bounty Hunter throws grenade". Now It could be part of the Bounty Hunter class. But I have reason to believe that it is not. What if that Jedi was soloing this? Or is this part of,

* Demolitions - also related to Intelligence, is used to set, disable, or destroy mines around the game world. At least one point must be put into this skill to be able to access any actions relative to mines or to use grenades. Mines come in a variety of types, though there are three difficulties: easy, medium, and high difficulties; each requiring better rolls to complete, though a very bad roll can result in a mine's premature explosion.

Although it does not list "blowing up doors" it was used to blow open lockers in Kotor, and now in ToR. Doors!

Usually opening doors completely worked around bashing them. Or for a faster method,

* Security - is related to Intelligence.

Some doors that were not able to be opened by force or security required,

* Computer Use - related to Intelligence, is used to calculate the chances a character will be able to slice a computer to perform a variety of situational tasks, such as disable a gun turret or open a magnetically sealed door. These tasks require the use of computer spikes, though the number needed is decreased by one for every four points put into this skill.

It's a possibility that Security may have been removed in favor of Demolitions. With the multiple screens and consoles in that room it's hard to tell. The only reason I would believe Security would maybe still be a skill, is just the fact that before the screen shot above was taken he used a computer and got communication with what seemed to be an Engineer. It just goes to show the computers or some are usable.

And as for Computer Use. This was mostly used in Kotor to make the game simple. It gave you a quicker way around things and sometimes it would lead to magnetic doors with unique items behind them. But there is a possibility of it still having a cause in ToR. Maybe some places have Gun Turrets or anything else listed.

Guess we will have to keep our eyes peeled for the others, if this is actually the case.

Comments

• KupoKupopoKupoKupopo Member Posts: 189

I would love to see a system like this.  And due to the video that shows the "persuade" option, I think it is very possible we will see some type of skill system.  Thanks for the detailed post.

• Darth_PeteDarth_Pete Member Posts: 559

I would like that. It is likely that if they are bringing the KotOR skills to this one, they will probably use only few and simplify it so much that you can't "screw up" your character even if you tried. Like a certain class has a certain skills and the points automaticly go in to the skills when level up happens and you don't really do any decisions.

• thexratedthexrated Member UncommonPosts: 1,368

I am certain that there will be many familiar skills and also lots of new ones. However, have to see how they will do the attributes. Would be great, if they would indeed allow people to distribute those themselves.

"The person who experiences greatness must have a feeling for the myth he is in."