Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Was away for more then a year; my re-review after that very long break!!!!

keithiankeithian Member UncommonPosts: 3,191

My background. Casual player (not hardcore).I prefer PVE but like to group PVP when I choose to such as in shared realms if you choose to venture to those areas. Don't really like one on one PVP. Started with WOW at release. Addicted as a Mage until around 55 where it started to get dull (after two other level 60s). At level 60 had no desire to do end game to raid endlessly and hope that I got a good roll knowing that most of the gear would be replaced with a future expansion at higher levels. Tried the expansion to level 70, found the world has a bunch of disconnected parts lacking the charm that get me addicted up to around level 55. Have not tried the 3rd WOW expansion. Moved to Lord of the RIngs Online at release. Very polished game, but didnt like the lack of a good mage class and got tired of Wargs. Tried EQ2. Quests involved way too much running and repitition and didnt like the overly instanced world. Move to Vanguard. LOVED open world, but too many graphics and performance issues, not enough people playing, way too empty, bad animiations. Tried Warhammer. Had the most fun since I started WOW. Loved the idea of joining others on the fly to complete a quest. Loved the scenarios so you didnt have to look for a group. Unfortunately, poor class balancing (gimping my Bright Wizard), way too repetitive, too many instances (world not open enough), PVE was horrible, no real incentive to level. So much potential in War, but population drives that games and it just wasnt working. Tried AOC. Excellent graphics, good game (since I wasn't scarred at the release of the game like so many others), but didn't feel connected to the story or the world and really didn't like the zoning everywhere. It just took away from the realism even though some zones were quite large.

So here I am again with Lord of the Rings. When I previously left, I had a level 20 LoreMaster and a level 46 Hunter. I came back to try the Rune Keeper. I have to say that it was a VERY WISE idea to allow a magic class such as the Runekeeper into the game to attract players like me. Its an awesome class and I finally felt I found a class I could connect with. I leveled that to level 31 and got my hunter to almost level 50 (will be there this week). I haven't tried the Moria expansion yet.

My observations:

Graphics: After trying all of the other games I listed, I have to say that this game is right up there just a shade lower then AOC if you play with DirectX10. Very polished, beautiful world. Seems like the graphics improved since I left, probably because of DirexctX10. The character animations are still pretty weak to me and I think they really should upgrade this, but it doesn't detract enough from the beautiful world, detail of the environment and atmospheric effects, and the desire to explore.

Performance: Greatly improved since I left. I sometimes get some minor hitching since I have everything except antiliasing on highest, but generally speaking it runs very smooth. I have an Nvidia GTX 280 and 8GB Ram. Sometimes I feel the action buttons with my hunter are a little delayed and I cant tell sometimes if that is the character or the game, but in general no issues there.

Community: The best in any game I have played. I am on the Landroval Server. Not only has the guild increased in size and is extremely helpful, but the community is helpful and it generally isnt too hard to find a group if you ask for one. You just have to be assertive sometimes.

Story: Lord of the Rings were my favorite books and movies, so I don't need to say much here. I will say that what separates a game like this from AOC, Warhammer, and even WOW to some extent is that you really do feel part of a larger story as you progress in the game. It is just critical that you do the main quest line and read the quests.

Enjoyment: Is it everything I am looking for, nope. However, I found that this is the type of game you enjoy more when you are not racing to stay to the level of others or race to the finish line. If you take the time to read the quests, do some crafting, explore, not worry about XP every second you are in game, then the enjoyment factor increases 10 fold because there is WAY too much to do in this game. When I first left the game, not only was I completely bored of my Hunter, but I just had no desire to level. This time, I promised myself to ignore the temptation to level fast and with that I am having an much better time.

Final Comments: This game would be even more complete in my eyes if it did have an opposing faction like WOW and Warhammer and I miss that aspect, but the game is extremely strong if you are PVE oriented and like a good story where you arnt all about racing to the finish line. I have no comments about end game yet since I have not made it that far. I'm even enjoying my hunter again now that I am spending more time exploring. The world is so HUGE and with the graphics on high, I love seeing everything from a distance not worrying about a zone every second such as in AOC where that seeing things in a distance as you change areas is non existent. I will give Aion a try and probably play that as a secondary game since I do enjoy a little PVP, but I will not be leaving this game anytime soon.

There Is Always Hope!

Comments

• Redline65Redline65 Member Posts: 486

My main is a hunter too, and I was surprised how powerful the Rune Keeper is when I started playing one. I feel like I was killing stuff a lot faster than my hunter did at those levels.

Have you started running Carn Dum yet for your hunter's class quest stuff? It's a great instance, lots of fun but can take a lot of time to run through the whole thing.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002
    Originally posted by keithianw

snip see below

This was too hard to read so I gave it some smaller paragraphs. Also I completely disagree with the faction statement as per other arguments that the game is about the good side. not everything has to be faction based.

I also disagree that the addition of the runekeeper was a wise idea except to make the game more "mmo" friendly. 

My background. Casual player (not hardcore).I prefer PVE but like to group PVP when I choose to such as in shared realms if you choose to venture to those areas. Don't really like one on one PVP.

Started with WOW at release. Addicted as a Mage until around 55 where it started to get dull (after two other level 60s). At level 60 had no desire to do end game to raid endlessly and hope that I got a good roll knowing that most of the gear would be replaced with a future expansion at higher levels.

Tried the expansion to level 70, found the world has a bunch of disconnected parts lacking the charm that get me addicted up to around level 55. Have not tried the 3rd WOW expansion.

Moved to Lord of the RIngs Online at release. Very polished game, but didnt like the lack of a good mage class and got tired of Wargs.

Tried EQ2. Quests involved way too much running and repitition and didnt like the overly instanced world. Move to Vanguard. LOVED open world, but too many graphics and performance issues, not enough people playing, way too empty, bad animiations.

Tried Warhammer. Had the most fun since I started WOW. Loved the idea of joining others on the fly to complete a quest. Loved the scenarios so you didnt have to look for a group. Unfortunately, poor class balancing (gimping my Bright Wizard), way too repetitive, too many instances (world not open enough), PVE was horrible, no real incentive to level. So much potential in War, but population drives that games and it just wasnt working.

Tried AOC. Excellent graphics, good game (since I wasn't scarred at the release of the game like so many others), but didn't feel connected to the story or the world and really didn't like the zoning everywhere. It just took away from the realism even though some zones were quite large.

So here I am again with Lord of the Rings. When I previously left, I had a level 20 LoreMaster and a level 46 Hunter. I came back to try the Rune Keeper. I have to say that it was a VERY WISE idea to allow a magic class such as the Runekeeper into the game to attract players like me. Its an awesome class and I finally felt I found a class I could connect with. I leveled that to level 31 and got my hunter to almost level 50 (will be there this week). I haven't tried the Moria expansion yet.

My observations:

Graphics: After trying all of the other games I listed, I have to say that this game is right up there just a shade lower then AOC if you play with DirectX10. Very polished, beautiful world. Seems like the graphics improved since I left, probably because of DirexctX10. The character animations are still pretty weak to me and I think they really should upgrade this, but it doesn't detract enough from the beautiful world, detail of the environment and atmospheric effects, and the desire to explore.

Performance: Greatly improved since I left. I sometimes get some minor hitching since I have everything except antiliasing on highest, but generally speaking it runs very smooth. I have an Nvidia GTX 280 and 8GB Ram. Sometimes I feel the action buttons with my hunter are a little delayed and I cant tell sometimes if that is the character or the game, but in general no issues there.

Community: The best in any game I have played. I am on the Landroval Server. Not only has the guild increased in size and is extremely helpful, but the community is helpful and it generally isnt too hard to find a group if you ask for one. You just have to be assertive sometimes.

Story: Lord of the Rings were my favorite books and movies, so I don't need to say much here. I will say that what separates a game like this from AOC, Warhammer, and even WOW to some extent is that you really do feel part of a larger story as you progress in the game. It is just critical that you do the main quest line and read the quests.

Enjoyment: Is it everything I am looking for, nope. However, I found that this is the type of game you enjoy more when you are not racing to stay to the level of others or race to the finish line. If you take the time to read the quests, do some crafting, explore, not worry about XP every second you are in game, then the enjoyment factor increases 10 fold because there is WAY too much to do in this game. When I first left the game, not only was I completely bored of my Hunter, but I just had no desire to level. This time, I promised myself to ignore the temptation to level fast and with that I am having an much better time.

Final Comments: This game would be even more complete in my eyes if it did have an opposing faction like WOW and Warhammer and I miss that aspect, but the game is extremely strong if you are PVE oriented and like a good story where you arnt all about racing to the finish line. I have no comments about end game yet since I have not made it that far. I'm even enjoying my hunter again now that I am spending more time exploring.

The world is so HUGE and with the graphics on high, I love seeing everything from a distance not worrying about a zone every second such as in AOC where that seeing things in a distance as you change areas is non existent. I will give Aion a try and probably play that as a secondary game since I do enjoy a little PVP, but I will not be leaving this game anytime soon.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • ZionnaxZionnax Member Posts: 107

My background. ..Unfortunately, poor class balancing (gimping my Bright Wizard)

I removed all but the part that caught my attention...

When you said "gimping my Bright Wizard" in reference to Warhammer, you lost all credibility with me.  You do know, that MOST people generally agree that the Bright Wizard is, by far, the most overpowered class in the game?

I did read the entire post, but again, I find it hard to put any stock in because of the Warhammer statement, that to me, just flies in the face of reality and pure common sense.

• keithiankeithian Member UncommonPosts: 3,191
    Originally posted by Zionnax

My background. ..Unfortunately, poor class balancing (gimping my Bright Wizard)

I removed all but the part that caught my attention...

When you said "gimping my Bright Wizard" in reference to Warhammer, you lost all credibility with me.  You do know, that MOST people generally agree that the Bright Wizard is, by far, the most overpowered class in the game?

I did read the entire post, but again, I find it hard to put any stock in because of the Warhammer statement, that to me, just flies in the face of reality and pure common sense.

hmmm..unless someone agrees with you and the majority of opinions about one aspect of a totally different game that was just trying to give some historical info, then their review has no credibility? lol. There's logic for you. Very immature response.

There Is Always Hope!

Originally posted by Redline65

My main is a hunter too, and I was surprised how powerful the Rune Keeper is when I started playing one. I feel like I was killing stuff a lot faster than my hunter did at those levels.
    Have you started running Carn Dum yet for your hunter's class quest stuff? It's a great instance, lots of fun but can take a lot of time to run through the whole thing.

Hey. Funny you should ask. I just did Carn Dum. In fact, I set my Camp there so I can easily get there in the future to help others or for deeds.  It allowed me to get  an Epic Bow for my hunter quest :-). I think it was here that we just killed that big squid thing that took about 30-45 minutes since we had to clear the room first of those flying things on the ledge.. We got very lucky with 4 people (though one was a level 60 tank). Another minute we would have all died hehe. Yea, I dont know what it is, but it feels like the Rune Keeper survivability solo against mobs of 2 or 3 is much easier then a Hunters, but maybe I play my Rune Keeper better, not sure.

There Is Always Hope!

Originally posted by Sovrath

snip see below

This was too hard to read so I gave it some smaller paragraphs. Also I completely disagree with the faction statement as per other arguments that the game is about the good side. not everything has to be faction based.

I also disagree that the addition of the runekeeper was a wise idea except to make the game more "mmo" friendly. 

I didn't say that the game HAS TO BE FACTION BASED. I simply said that I enjoy that element of a game and that for me at least it would add something. I also stated that having that one missing element had no real impact on my enjoyment of this game which I have no intention of leaving anytime soon.

There Is Always Hope!

• MrbloodworthMrbloodworth Member Posts: 5,615

Originally posted by Redline65

Hey. Funny you should ask. I just did Carn Dum. In fact, I set my Camp there so I can easily get there in the future to help others or for deeds.  It allowed me to get  an Epic Bow for my hunter quest :-). I think it was here that we just killed that big squid thing that took about 30-45 minutes since we had to clear the room first of those flying things on the ledge.. We got very lucky with 4 people (though one was a level 60 tank). Another minute we would have all died hehe. Yea, I dont know what it is, but it feels like the Rune Keeper survivability solo against mobs of 2 or 3 is much easier then a Hunters, but maybe I play my Rune Keeper better, not sure.

Just attempted that battle last night. Its exciting, and challenging.

----------
    "Anyone posting on this forum is not an average user, and there for any opinions about the game are going to be overly critical compared to an average users opinions." - Me

"No, your wrong.." - Random user #123

"Hello person posting on a site specifically for MMO's in a thread on a sub forum specifically for a particular game talking about meta features and making comparisons to other titles in the genre, and their meta features.

How are you?" -Me