Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Personal Guild Wars (Factions, Nightfall, and EotN Expansions Included) Review

wrockholzwrockholz Member Posts: 52

Pros

• No pay to play cost.
  • PvP is challenging and is heavily dependent on skill.
  • A quick leveling grind allows for easy access to higher level content.
  • Limited abilities per encounter, secondary professions, and gear enhancements allow for a more unique character and more skill based gameplay.
  • Graphics are about the MMO standard.
  • Players are constantly contributing to their guild via both PvE and PvP.
  • In depth, story driven game.
  • Armor Dyes provide for an aesthetically unique character.
  • There isn't much pressure to buy the expansions. Players aren't forced to, and can get through the game and enjoy most high-end content without them.
  • The game provides "henchmen" and "heroes," bot teammates to fill empty spots in the player's party where other players cannot be found.
  • No pay to play cost!

Cons

• Animations and movement can sometimes be slightly glitchy.
  • No Z-Axis, restricting players to the ground (not such a big deal to most, but can be slightly disappointing.)
  • Not much high level PvE content.
  • No open world PvP.
  • Little to no content patches, the expansions are really the only form of expanded content in this game.
  • This game depends a bit too much on its currency system.
  • This game is extremely team dependent, however this could be a pro depending on how you look at it.

I always love criticism. I'd like to hear what you think of my review. Please post a response!

Comments

• EleExtremoEleExtremo Member Posts: 7

Not a review but more of listing the pros & cons of the game. Quite good though.

• wrockholzwrockholz Member Posts: 52

Thanks for the feedback, sorry about the confusion.

• sushimeessushimees Member Posts: 489

I pretty much agree but isn't there a lot of high-end PvE content in the game now with the last expansion, since it only focuses on the content for lvl 20 players?

I suppose so, but once you complete the story-line, there is little to no point in redoing anything. It's not like you receive gear or anything. Maybe titles. I suppose you could be right in some ways.

• djazzydjazzy Member Posts: 3,578

Not really a review, although it's rather odd to have a review on a game that's been out this long. Anyway, curious on what you mean by not much high level pve content?

• YauchyYauchy Member UncommonPosts: 298

This:  "A quick leveling grind allows for easy access to higher level content."

Coupled with:  ""Not much high level PvE content."

Make the game a short, fun for a time stint in the online universe (if you are a carebear, like myself) :/  I find if they had just raised the level cap arbitrarily and expanded gear across more than 20 levels, the game could of benefited quite a bit.  Of course PVP throughout the levels may suffer, but with premade max level characters still available...I'm sure it wouldnt have suffered much.

At the end of the day its a great game if you can't afford a ppm mmo...and enough fun to have people excited to see how the sequel will measure up, but not enough to hold any power gamers attention for too long...unless you devoutly hate ppm mmos or just really like NCSoft's style.

You are looking at the game with the wrong perspective. This is not a gear and level grind game. People need to change their mindset when playing Guild Wars or they will  never enjoy the game. The "carrots" of the game are different than the typical EQ/WoW mmo.

• GennadiosGennadios Member Posts: 209
    Originally posted by Yauchy

This:  "A quick leveling grind allows for easy access to higher level content."
    Coupled with:  ""Not much high level PvE content."
    Make the game a short, fun for a time stint in the online universe (if you are a carebear, like myself) :/  I find if they had just raised the level cap arbitrarily and expanded gear across more than 20 levels, the game could of benefited quite a bit.  Of course PVP throughout the levels may suffer, but with premade max level characters still available...I'm sure it wouldnt have suffered much.

That would pretty much drive the hardcore GW fan base away. I'm not sure if there would be enough "carebares" to fill the void that would be left over.

Besides that, the "Not Much High Level PvE content" is just complete and utter tripe. EotN has tons of dungeons, not to mention that every expansion has at least one elite dungeon to go with it. Some will be harder than others, but the ones that will require every single ounce of strength, creativity, and coordiantion to accomplish:

Core:

Underword

Proph:

Tombs of the Primeval Kings

Factions:

Urgoz Warren

The Deep

Night Fall:

Domain of Anguish

EotN:

Vloxen Excavations

Slaver's Exile

Shards of Orr

Once again, these aren't all the areas, but they are the most difficult ones. You have no right to bitch about the lack of high-end content until you complete all of these.

I don't think anyones really bitching. Sorry if you were mislead, but this post was more meant to be just my opinion, not a complaint. I see where you're coming from. All of those dungeons certainly require skill. But in my opinion, there just isn't enough content to keep me satisfied in PvE in GW. Personally, I am more of a fan of the PvP, but that hasn't stopped me from doing some of those dungeons. I also think they could put in a little more sense of purpose to the dungeons. For example, all I got out of running UW were some Globs of Ectoplasm that later became cash. All I ever really get from running Hard Mode is a point in my Title Track, and some gear that you pretty much just end up selling. Even if it isn't a totally gear centric game, something other than some text below the player's character would be nice. I will say that the Hall of Monuments does improve that in EotN, with trophies and such. Honestly, if someone were looking for a great PvE centric game, I would recommend something other than GW. By the way, I'm not bringing any of my opinions down based on the fact that its free.

I still think you are looking at this from the wrong point of view. I see someone trying to put the typical mmo template into Guild Wars, you just can't do that. To each their own though.  I will say that I have had more fun in the pve of Guild Wars than any other mmo that I've tried (although I did find WoW's pve fun for a while as well).

Originally posted by wrockholz

I don't think anyones really bitching. Sorry if you were mislead, but this post was more meant to be just my opinion, not a complaint. I see where you're coming from. All of those dungeons certainly require skill. But in my opinion, there just isn't enough content to keep me satisfied in PvE in GW. Personally, I am more of a fan of the PvP, but that hasn't stopped me from doing some of those dungeons. I also think they could put in a little more sense of purpose to the dungeons. For example, all I got out of running UW were some Globs of Ectoplasm that later became cash. All I ever really get from running Hard Mode is a point in my Title Track, and some gear that you pretty much just end up selling. Even if it isn't a totally gear centric game, something other than some text below the player's character would be nice. I will say that the Hall of Monuments does improve that in EotN, with trophies and such. Honestly, if someone were looking for a great PvE centric game, I would recommend something other than GW. By the way, I'm not bringing any of my opinions down based on the fact that its free.

The bitching comment wasn't meant entirely @ you, but this grievance keeps getting brought up by people who barely played the game enough to complete a campaign much less actually try some of the higher end content. Regardless it happens enough to warrent such a blanket statement.

As far as the same old crap dropping in PvE, it's the exact same story in every other MMO on the market. The vast majority of stuff players find in any game will end up being merched or left on the ground. The only distinction here is that these items or often uncannily close to "perfect."

How is the lack of an end game any different from let's say WoW? What's left to do after your char reaches level 70 or 80 and grinds up all their epic gear? How long would that even take? Months?

My guild has been at it for slightly over a year and we're still missing completion for two of the listed dungeons, now that's advancement.

The only faltering point /w GW is that interaction with other players will make or break your experience. As a PvE centered game it's by no means fun to hero/hench everything, and it's even less enjoyable to end up with crap PuGs. It really shines only as a Friend/Guild centered squad game.

• LydonLydon Member UncommonPosts: 2,938

I disagree with the "little high-level PvE content" statement. Like 90% of the game you play as a level 20...Then you can redo it all in Hard Mode too.

• brownspankbrownspank Member Posts: 247

Originally posted by wrockholz

Little to no content patches, the expansions are really the only form of expanded content in this game.

I had always hoped for something similar to the addition of Sorrow's Furnace, at least one each for the other campaigns. So yeah, I agree with you on this.

• noxxlenoxxle Member Posts: 119

What is a 'personal' review. I have seen a lot of topics like this lately. Why don't you just say "Review of THIS GAME"

Originally posted by noxxle

What is a 'personal' review. I have seen a lot of topics like this lately. Why don't you just say "Review of THIS GAME"

*rolls eyes*

Do you have to find something to complain about? A "personal review" is one's personal opinion of the game. Is that so hard to understand?

Originally posted by Lydon

*rolls eyes*

Do you have to find something to complain about? A "personal review" is one's personal opinion of the game. Is that so hard to understand?

Thats what a "review" IS.

I was asking because ive seen a lot of these "personal review" threads lately and cannot figure what it means. How is it different from a REVIEW.

I was asking because ive seen a lot of these "personal review" threads lately and cannot figure what it means. How is it different from a REVIEW.

"Personal" indicates WHOSE review it is.

They could be posting a review copied-and-pasted from another website. The "personal" tells potential readers what to expect in the thread so that they don't bother clicking if they don't want to read the poster's personal review...

Is that so hard to understand?

They could be posting a review copied-and-pasted from another website. The "personal" tells potential readers what to expect in the thread so that they don't bother clicking if they don't want to read the poster's personal review...

"Personal" is still unnecessary and silly. If you copy/paste, just say so in the thread.

• natuxatunatuxatu Member UncommonPosts: 1,364

You guys are arguing over something more silly than the normal silly stuff people argue over.

Anyway I too wish they had more patches/updates that include new zones like Sorrow Furance. That was a great and exciting update... but since then, not so much. Overall though I love the game, and think it offers years of entertainment.

"Personal" is still unnecessary and silly. If you copy/paste, just say so in the thread.

No, it is not "unnecessary and silly" - your complaining is.

I, for one, only read the thread BECAUSE of the "Personal" bit. I'm not interested in reading yet another professional review.

Have you nothing better to do than nitpick and attempt to cause unnecessary trouble over something that may not be relevant to you, but may be to other people?

No, it is not "unnecessary and silly" - your complaining is.

I, for one, only read the thread BECAUSE of the "Personal" bit. I'm not interested in reading yet another professional review.

Have you nothing better to do than nitpick and attempt to cause unnecessary trouble over something that may not be relevant to you, but may be to other people?

I just think its weird, and I was pointing it out because recently I have seen quite a bit of these "personal" reviews. Pretty sure its an Emo thing.

A profession review usually says to me

"I've taken a keen interest in the subject over the course of my life to be able to objectively look at the reviewed item appreciate it's merits on it's own terms"

A profession GAMING review usually says to me:

I have 3 games on my desk to finish by the end of the month. I'll play this sh*t for the 9 hours required, and if it's not too painful give it a good review. If the publisher is advertising heavily maybe I'll add 10 points.

A personal review is usually along the lines of:

"wtf? Whers da jump button?"

"Lvl 20 cap? wherez da low levelz 2 gank?"

"Making bulds 2 hard. Add better loot"

"Instancing? Dis not a genuine MMO"

• GodliestGodliest Member Posts: 3,486

Although not quite as unnecessarily and silly as making a post and complaining about it (which makes this post even more unnecessary and silly, oh well).

• iainiiaini Member Posts: 52
    Let's just make a few custom edits here......

Pros

No pay to play cost.
    PvP is challenging and is heavily dependent on skill.
    Zero grind to reach max level, merely doing quests will allow one to hit the level cap long before finishing a campaign.
    Limited abilities per encounter, secondary professions, and gear enhancements allow for a more unique character and more skill based almost tactical gameplay.
    Graphics are *ABOVE* the MMO standard, especially considering it's a 4 year old graphics engine
    In depth, story driven game.
    Armor Dyes provide for an aesthetically unique character.
    There isn't much pressure to buy the expansions.
    The game provides "henchmen" and "heroes," bot teammates to fill empty spots in the player's party where other players cannot be found.
    No Open world PVP to annoy the hell out of you..
    PVP and PVE skills are split. PVP Centric Nerfs typically have zero effect on PVE gameplay.
    Tons of high level content (indeed since the level cap is 20, nearly everything you do is "high level" since you hit 20 pretty quickly)
    No Z-axis. Jumping is typically pointless in games where it has zero effect on your chance to dodge an attack, therefore in that case no jumping = no annoying jumping puzzle. Win / win.
    Not heavily "Gear Centric" which allows PVE play to focus on story advancement as opposed to gear grinding.

Cons

No Auction House system, which makes the buying and selling of item modifications, dyes, materials more difficult.
    No Mail system which hampers offline level communications.
    No "Real" crafting system, which leaves the more craft oriented MMO gamer pretty much out of the loop.

There we go.. That's the GuildWars I play. ^_^

>_> <_< ^_^

• sassoonsssassoonss Member UncommonPosts: 1,132

not to mention the game also allows gameplay in HARD MODE

step out in hard mode in newbie areas and see