Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Question About High Resolutions In Games

Saya98Saya98 Member UncommonPosts: 41

Hello I would just like to know something about a card I have its a HIS IceQ 4+ Radeon HD 4870, I have a samsung 23'' LCD monitor, coming this week now the question is does playing at high resolution give a performance increase or a performance decrease because I notice there is always a drop in frame rates with higher resolutions? Oh yea and max resolution for single display is 1920x1200.

Comments

• CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,412

The card can handle the resolution.  Only 2 games will give it below playable framerates, but at that resolution they give any current video card below playable framerates on maximum settings.  Also yes resolution affects performance a bit.

• pyrofreakpyrofreak Member UncommonPosts: 1,481

Simply put, higher resolutions use more (video card) memory.

Now with 57.3% more flames!

• noquarternoquarter Member Posts: 1,170

There is a performance hit running at higher resolution but you don't want to run at a lower resolution than your LCD's max resolution or you lose a lot of image quality due to image scaling.

Higher resolution decreases the need for AA though so you're better off running at 1920x1200 w/2x AA than 1680x1050 w/4x AA if you can't handle 4x AA at the higher res, but your 4870 should have no probs with most games at 1920x1200 4xAA.

• Saya98Saya98 Member UncommonPosts: 41

Thanks guys, that answered my question perfect. :)