Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why do I get the feeling...

dynamo122dynamo122 Member Posts: 162

...that we won't see the original 6 core professions in the sequel? I feel like we'll be lucky to see even one of these, and the warrior class is a given. Can't really put my finger on it...but for some reason I think we'll see an entirely new core class line up this go around (with obvious warrior).

Anyone else feel the same?

Comments

• LeucrottaLeucrotta Member Posts: 679

Nope i dont, i think monk, elementalist, and ranger are in there for sure

• GennadiosGennadios Member Posts: 209

I'm pretty sure that Mo, W, R will still be there. E and Me I'm not entirely sure about, Anet may simply opt to combine the two into some kind of over-arching mage class.

The expansion classes I wouldn't count on. At best we'd get them in a future addon.

But hey, it's a whole new game. I'm pretty sure that some Tormented/Destroyer weapons we've been hoarding won't have a direct parallel in Gw2.

• ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690

I hope the original 6 are back but I have a feeling necromancer and mesmer will be combined leaving maybe a spot for a new class. Been playing for almost 4 years now and it will be somewhat weird at first not having the original 6 being there but hey, it is a new game and the sequel should have new ideas.

• EthianEthian Member Posts: 1,216

Whatever they decide I'm sure we can count on GW2 being a killer sequel.

"I play Tera for the gameplay"

• natuxatunatuxatu Member UncommonPosts: 1,364

Well there was talk of Golemmancer race or something like that for Asurans... so we will see. Though it would make sense to have most of them since it is the same world after all.. just hundreds of years later.

I REALLY hope there is a Ritualist since that was my favorite and main throughout the years... but if not, I will sill find something to love I'm sure. I have complete faith in ArenaNet.

• MMO_REVIEWERMMO_REVIEWER Member Posts: 371

I hope they keep mesmers. Mesmers are the most powerful and most complex class in guild wars. Clearly dropping them entirely wouldn't have too much of an effect on some players since not many people play them (since VoR was changed). But those elite mesmer players may want to see their class left intact.

I play a mesmer and love them.

MMO's are the ark of the gaming world. Let it take us in new directions.

• benzjiebenzjie Member Posts: 81

uuhm...and what about my favorite?  The necro ? 

Don't shoot the messenger.....it will ruin you monitor

• GodliestGodliest Member Posts: 3,486

Originally posted by benzjie

It's likely that they will keep the "core" of the Necromancer profession, i.e. the anti-mêlée hexer. If they then decide that they clump together Mesmer and Necromancer for a hex-only profession we'll see.

I'd say that while the professions may not transfer over directly it's likely that we will see the traditional archetypes. Since GW PvP (organized PvP that is) revolves heavily around having a frontline, midline and backline giving up the traditional front-, mid- and backline classes would essentially mean fucking up the entire Guild Wars PvP system. The classes we'll most likely see are:

• Warrior A typical frontline class with good damage and armor. It's irremovable and is almost guaranteed. Expect this to be similar.
    • Ranger A loved PvP class. It's likely that they will try to make it more focused trying to make it become more of a pressure character through interruptions and spread out damage.
    • Necromancer/Mesmer The hex class. It's likely that they rework how hexes work, but they will probably keep a hex class that's also packing some interruptions because of the increased difficulty and challenge it provides.
    • Monk The healing class. Not a chance that they'll leave this out. You can say goodbye to Smiting Prayers however. If they've learned their lesson then this will be a true healer packing only healing and prots.

I'm unsure about the Elementalist class since GW PvP revolved mostly around Warriors being able to provide good spike capability and pressure. For a ranged damage class to be worth bringing along it would have to do more damage than a Warrior, and then it would be overpowered as it would be unkiteable. It may be included, but it's not a class that necessarily should be included.

• TekaelonTekaelon Member UncommonPosts: 604
    Originally posted by MMO_REVIEWER

I hope they keep mesmers. Mesmers are the most powerful and most complex class in guild wars. Clearly dropping them entirely wouldn't have too much of an effect on some players since not many people play them (since VoR was changed). But those elite mesmer players may want to see their class left intact.

I'd miss mesmer too!. Monk and mesmer, in that order, are my favorite classes. Mesmer was the most original class of any game I've played.

• EthianEthian Member Posts: 1,216
    Originally posted by Tekaelon

I'd miss mesmer too!. Monk and mesmer, in that order, are my favorite classes. Mesmer was the most original class of any game I've played.

Love Monk! A buddy of mine keeps telling me to try mesmer but I havent had a chance to yet. From what I hear they do real well ingame.

My guess is we can count on warrior and monk being core classes for sure. Other then that I wouldnt be suprised if they throw some new classes at us to play with.  

"I play Tera for the gameplay"

"To give a simple example, we eventually had 1200 skills in the game. And I think that through adding three campaigns and an expansion and having ten professions and the number of skills that it did, Guild Wars grew unwieldy. We've come to realise, through developing Guild Wars, that what makes it such a fantastic game is not quantity - it's quality. This time around I think that we can really focus on the parts of the game we want to focus on, make a clean break, make sure that it stays true to the original intentions of Guild Wars, and make it the game that we always wanted it to be."

If they stay true to the quote above, and then most specifically the red part, I'd guess that they will probably stick to having even fewer classes. Which strengthens my belief that they will try to cut down the amount of professions to only the basic archetypes, and then most likely clumping together Mesmer and Necromancer.

• dynamo122dynamo122 Member Posts: 162

Yeah, I've been a career Mesmer since day 1 as well. It would be a shame to see them left out But if I were to bet money on it, i'd say they won't make it in unfortunatly.

However. Since this is a NEW game I do expect something NEW and intrigueing. Like new classes. If they were to include the Mesmer class it would more of a 'whew'. Whereas if they were to include an entirely new (and appealing) class I'd be like AWESOME!!

I dunno.

• LydonLydon Member UncommonPosts: 2,938

Well when watching the trailer you'll notice a woman dressed in the current Elementalist Elite Geomancer armour, so I think we'll probably be seeing them in GW2.

Also willing to bet on Warrior and Ranger judging by the trailer.

Originally posted by Lydon

Well when watching the trailer you'll notice a woman dressed in the current Elementalist Elite Geomancer armour, so I think we'll probably be seeing them in GW2.

To me it just looked like an indeterminate set of caster armor, hell, you can even make an argument that's it's an Asuran or Sunspear set on a female paragon.

It's a far safer statement to say that the concept of an elemental spell line will be retained than to say the elementalist class will.

• bojinxbojinx Member Posts: 172

I really hope they keep the Mesmer class, nothing is more rewarding than shutting down the opposing casters and monks to the point of absolute frustration :)

• MMO_REVIEWERMMO_REVIEWER Member Posts: 371

I think combining necro and mesmer spells trouble. That could either equal a really overpowered shutdown hexer or an overpowered "hex you to hell" class. Either way I want my purple hexes ...I hope the idea of the mesmer is atleast retained. Or perhaps introducing a new class thats as complex and deep as the mesmer was. That'd be cool to see. Sort of like the descendants of the mesmers or something...

Purple hexes! I need them!

Cheers

MMO's are the ark of the gaming world. Let it take us in new directions.

• RakujiRakuji Member UncommonPosts: 144

Somemone mentioned Golemmancer for the asura. Tell you the truth i believe that since you could only be human in GW that each other race should get thier own class'. Humans get what we had in GW and the other races get some of those classes and 1 or 2 that are thier race only.

just my opinion

Still though however they may do it. I expect it to be a good game.

Kick to the Face.

• tro44_1tro44_1 Member Posts: 1,819
    Originally posted by Godliest

Originally posted by benzjie

It's likely that they will keep the "core" of the Necromancer profession, i.e. the anti-mêlée hexer. If they then decide that they clump together Mesmer and Necromancer for a hex-only profession we'll see.

I'd say that while the professions may not transfer over directly it's likely that we will see the traditional archetypes. Since GW PvP (organized PvP that is) revolves heavily around having a frontline, midline and backline giving up the traditional front-, mid- and backline classes would essentially mean fucking up the entire Guild Wars PvP system. The classes we'll most likely see are:

I'm unsure about the Elementalist class since GW PvP revolved mostly around Warriors being able to provide good spike capability and pressure. For a ranged damage class to be worth bringing along it would have to do more damage than a Warrior, and then it would be overpowered as it would be unkiteable. It may be included, but it's not a class that necessarily should be included.

• Warrior A typical frontline class with good damage and armor. It's irremovable and is almost guaranteed. Expect this to be similar.
    • Ranger A loved PvP class. It's likely that they will try to make it more focused trying to make it become more of a pressure character through interruptions and spread out damage.
    • Necromancer/Mesmer The hex class. It's likely that they rework how hexes work, but they will probably keep a hex class that's also packing some interruptions because of the increased difficulty and challenge it provides.
    • Monk The healing class. Not a chance that they'll leave this out. You can say goodbye to Smiting Prayers however. If they've learned their lesson then this will be a true healer packing only healing and prots.

I think there well be all new classes but with a few old once. From the Trailer it looks like

Shadow Knight  ---> Plate user

Paladin ----->  Plate User

Hunter Ranger(Gunner may be the same) Leather User and Pet control this time around. New Class same old name maybe

Golem Master ----> Pet class

Priest ---> Robe user

Necromancer ----> looks like this class is making a return but mixed with Mesmer. So sort of a new Class, but same title.

Druid -- Robe user

----

I think we'll see:

Warrior/Paragon hybrid (think Paladin)

Ranger

Necromancer/Mesmer hybrid

Assassin

Druid/Ritualist hybrid (probably the main Sylvari class)

Elementalist/Golemancer hybrid (the Asuran class)

...as well as some others

That is, of course, assuming that races have exclusive classes.

@The posts making class lists:

WE... KNOW... NOTHING...

Everything refrencing the cinematics is just grasping at straw. The only conclusive information that we got out of it was:

1) Jumping/Swimming

2)The game actually HAS been in development (to my personal amazement.)

With guild wars one as a case in point. Armor art doesn't prove all that much.

We have rendered cinematic proof of a sword wielding warrior class of some kind, and a golem controlling class of some sort. Is that really enough to be naming classes over?

• grndzrogrndzro Member UncommonPosts: 1,162

Considering there is 4 races I would imagine each race would have a couple/few choices. I wouldn't be surprised if they make all new classes.

In fact I am hoping they do. Who wants to see reused classed? it's more familiar but it's a retread. I take new classes any day.

• SeamzSeamz Member UncommonPosts: 55

We've barely heard a thing about GW 2 besides the fact that you can finally jump (lol) its still too early to tell what they are going to do with its entirety.

Originally posted by Gennadios

WE... KNOW... NOTHING...
    Everything refrencing the cinematics is just grasping at straw. The only conclusive information that we got out of it was:
    1) Jumping/Swimming

We have rendered cinematic proof of a sword wielding warrior class of some kind, and a golem controlling class of some sort. Is that really enough to be naming classes over?

I didn't say we DO... KNOW... ANYTHING...

I am merely speculating with regards to the direction I think they'll go. I think that's kind of obvious given the fact that they've said nothing and the video is all we have to work with.

Originally posted by Gennadios
    WE... KNOW... NOTHING...
    1) Jumping/Swimming

We know nothing, which is why we speculate. If we actually knew what classes would be in game then this entire topic would be completely worthless. You can't be sure it's a golem controlling class either since it could just be them displaying a quest where you get to operate a golem, like G.O.L.E.M. in GW. It may be extremely unlikely, but you still can't be sure.

There's a difference between speculating and insulting the dev team's creativity by ripping off class concepts off of the Runes of Magic wiki.

I doubt anyone predicted the Ritualist, Paragon, and Dervish classes for GW1. Even if initial non-expansion classes end up cookie cutter warrior/mage/priest/ranger types, I trust they'll be able to come up with something more substantial than a hunter or some other WoW rehash for the expansions.