Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why does it seem that people are scared of Dust?

mrputtsmrputts Member UncommonPosts: 271

Ok I want to start by saying I like EVE. The community is cool. The Industry and Economics are awsome. The Universe is huge which is Fantastic. I would love to play in this universe. However I can't play the game because it bores me to tears. Not a fan of watching more then doing. I have been looking at some forums, and seems to be the same "OH God, it's the end of days EVE is ruined."

That being said I love FPS games. I played Halo, Most of all the Battlefields, Medal of Honors, Unreal, Quake, Counterstrike. I think that Dust would be an awsome addition to the EVE universe. I mean think about it. I have a Dust squad that your Corp/Alliance Hired to help take that Planet that your opposing Alliance wants because of that rare ass Rock floating around. So you hire us. Then you "sell" or donate the weapons, vehicles, Armor, and Medical supplies that your Industrial members make for us. That adds new blueprints, new ores, new use for old ores, and need for transporting them. We take the planet get phat paid, and move on.

Plus what the hell is the point of having spaceships in space if they can't be bombarded with weapons. A Dust fighter takes a GPS laser targeting system with them (that you made). Targets a big lump of opposing Dust Fighters, or vechicles. Targets them with the Targeting system then your Planetary Bombardment ship (new ship or weapon that you built) moves into position. The Opposing ships get data on a bombardment going down and have to take you out while you fight to keep it alive atleast till the shot gets off.

To me that sounds like it could be an awsome addition to Eve. Plus think from a ccp standpoint all the people that play FPS that don't play EVE. Thats more money for them. More money means longer running games. I don't/can't see how anyone would think a console standalone addition to a PC game would ruin the PC Game. It can only help or cause no change to the original game.

CCP has made a game that most of you have loved for over 4 years. Have a little faith and trust in people that love Eve as much as you do. These people are on the in to whats going on they know what will break their bread winner, and won't allow that.

 

Putts.

Ea is like a poo fingered midas ~ShakyMo

«13

Comments

  • AnubisanAnubisan Member UncommonPosts: 1,798

    I think the thing people are most worried about is that the empires they have built through years of hard work might suddenly start to collapse because of the actions of console players who have nothing really to do with the original game. They are concerned that this new aspect of the EVE universe might trivialize the existing game universe that many people have heavily invested in.

    Others are worried that the DUST 514 game is what CCP is releasing INSTEAD of the ambulation project that has supposedly been in the works for ages. This infuriates people because it basically means that the promised expansion that everyone was waiting for is not going to happen at all on the PC. This might be completely unfounded since no official word has yet been heard concerning this suspicion... but it definitely has people concerned.

    I agree with you though that DUST 514 could be a very cool addition to the game. Only time will tell..

  • TaramTaram Member CommonPosts: 1,700

    Bottom line:

    People who are freaking out are

    1) Not paying attention to what's being said and/or reading WAY too much into it.

    2) Over reacting

    Bottom line:

    DUST is still a long way off.  We don't have any clue what it's really going to do and it's so far out that it's not even really worth worrying/considering right now.  They JUST announced it.  It's an MMO (even if it will be on consoles) so we're looking at a 2011 release at the earliest is my guess.  And CCP is known for taking it's time to get things right.  I think folks need to relax and wait and see what further information develops.

     

    image
    "A ship-of-war is the best ambassador." - Oliver Cromwell

  • VarnyVarny Member Posts: 765

    For me no PC version = fail... why would you wanna play FPS on console?

  • mrputtsmrputts Member UncommonPosts: 271
    Originally posted by Varny


    For me no PC version = fail... why would you wanna play FPS on console?



     

    Accesabiltiy. Granted FPS games are fun on PC, and the mouse makes for more accurate shots. However there are more people with 360 or ps3 then there are with PCs that would be powerful enough for a game like this.  Plus it gives the devs a finite line for graphics frame rates and shit like that.

     

     

     

     

     

    Putts

    Ea is like a poo fingered midas ~ShakyMo

  • cukimungacukimunga Member UncommonPosts: 2,258

    I guess people don't want the so called "Console Twitch Kiddies" to ruin there game.  LOL yeah I heard someone call people who have ADD and play Console FPS this name, so I'll just use it.  

    I personally thing this is amazing Idea.  CCP is one of the very few companies that actually think out of the box. I would have never have thought of an idea like this in a million years. Depending on the info that they release later on and if it comes out on PC or not I might end up trying it out.   If its just like a FPS with a huge ass battlefield and there is no character progression and stuff like RPG's I won't even make the attempt to play it.

  • x_rast_xx_rast_x Member Posts: 745

    To me it seems like the nano nerf v. 2 - a (very) small minority of people with a vested interest in keeping things the way are crying a waterfall of tears on the forums, but reaction in game seems generally positive (I would call it cautious optimism).  Now, unless you'd invested ten billion ISK in fancy nano setups and high grade snake implants or really really liked rockets, the nano nerf turned out for the best, and I honestly don't expect DUST to be much different.

    CCP has stated (somewhere, I think it was in EON) that their primary method for community feedback is via the CSM and they've shown many times before they have the balls to make big changes to keep the game fresh and move it forward in new directions.  But they're not stupid, DUST is one game, EvE is another, they will overlap and perhaps be able to directly interact (WiS seems like a good avenue for this) but I really doubt any DUST player will be able to ruin the game of any EvE player, and vice versa.

  • KrayzjoelKrayzjoel Member Posts: 906

    Maybe ppl are scared of the possible impact that Dust 514 has.

    Could you oimagine being Goonswarm, Against all Authorites, CVA, Intrepid Cossing etc, Wake up one morning and find that several of your POS are orbiting worlds you dont control?  This maybe whats got ppl in an uproar....maybe.

    Still not enough info right now......

    Played : WOW, LOTRO, COH/COV, EQ2, SWG, and WAR.
    Playing EVE Online and AOC.
    Wtg for SW:TOR and WOD

  • Squal'ZellSqual'Zell Member Posts: 1,803

    we contract you and your dust marines give you vehicles and weapons and all sorts of gadgets for you to win the war.

    if you loose that battle/war.

    what do you loose? time? you wont get payed?

    what do i loose? the vehicles/ammo/weapons ect that came from our corp? the planet? the system? the region?

     

    we are scared and worried because we got more to loose by contracting you the fight for the planet than you do.

    image
    image

  • MoodahMoodah Member Posts: 181

    people in general tend to freak out about every change to their routines - even when the change is for the better, and even when they spend time whining about how nothing changes and they are bored from repeating same things over and over, when change arrises, they start running arround like headless chicken wawing their hands in the air, screaming in total shock and panic that the world is ending and we're all going to die a horrible and painfull deaths.

  • VirDanVirDan Member Posts: 85

    That is where the serious discussion comes into play.  It is not the "What, no PC?" stuff.

    Imagine that a company announced a new game that would be coming out that would combine EVE and DUST.  That it would be starting from scratch.  People would be falling over themselves over how awesome that would be.

    Instead though, take a game that has been around six years where people have been building up their empires for that period of time.  Then tell them about DUST and planetary control being part of SOV.  You are going to get some WTF? out of that.

    They have stated a significant change, but they have left out the information between the here and the there.  The discussion then becomes about that - speculation sets in.  This is where CCP needs to step in and provide more details, listen to the community, and put the ego to the side if it comes to light that what they are doing will turn out to be a NGE.

    On the other hand, the Goonies should be familiar with waking up the next morning to find stuff missing from back in their Shadowbane days...

  • MoodahMoodah Member Posts: 181
    Originally posted by Anubisan


    I think the thing people are most worried about is that the empires they have built through years of hard work might suddenly start to collapse because of the actions of console players who have nothing really to do with the original game. They are concerned that this new aspect of the EVE universe might trivialize the existing game universe that many people have heavily invested in.


    I'm definitely sure that corps and alliances will have their own branches in DUST, which will be part of the organisation, and so the entire "we will have to rely on idiotic 14 year olds to decide our sov" argument is totaly void of any common sense.

     

    from massively article:

    This is CCP's hope, anyway. Hilmar says he'd like to see specific DUST corporations and alliances that bridge the gap to the EVE MMO, as the ground game adds new dimensions to the space-based gameplay of EVE Online as we know it today.

  • mrputtsmrputts Member UncommonPosts: 271
    Originally posted by Squal'Zell


    we contract you and your dust marines give you vehicles and weapons and all sorts of gadgets for you to win the war.
    if you loose that battle/war.
    what do you loose? time? you wont get payed?
    what do i loose? the vehicles/ammo/weapons ect that came from our corp? the planet? the system? the region?
     
    we are scared and worried because we got more to loose by contracting you the fight for the planet than you do.

    Ok i can see that a little bit. However in the interview they said there will be mmo like advancement for dust. so there might be advancement loss. Plus you don't have to give the stuff you can sell it.

    Well hopefully there will be more to winning a planet then just the Dust players, and hopefully you can have a little influence on the outcome in someway. No point on being tied if you can't do something the help out your contract killers.

     

    Putts

    Ea is like a poo fingered midas ~ShakyMo

  • MalcanisMalcanis Member UncommonPosts: 3,297
    Originally posted by Squal'Zell


    we contract you and your dust marines give you vehicles and weapons and all sorts of gadgets for you to win the war.
    if you loose that battle/war.
    what do you loose? time? you wont get payed?
    what do i loose? the vehicles/ammo/weapons ect that came from our corp? the planet? the system? the region?
     
    we are scared and worried because we got more to loose by contracting you the fight for the planet than you do.



     

    So... underperforming clans dont get the good contracts; clans that deliver get the honey

    Large alliances will raise their own dust corps as well.

    Give me liberty or give me lasers

  • TaramTaram Member CommonPosts: 1,700

    I think people just need to voice their concerns politely on the various official threads and see what CCP says in reply.  Remember, though, that it's still very early on and they may not be done making decisions yet.  As of right now all we know is that:

     

    1) Dust will share data streams with EVE-O so that corporations/players within EVE can issue contracts to DUST 

    2) Dust will affect planetary control which may impact sov in some way the details on this are sketchy right now.

    3) Dust will, at least initially, not be released for PC

    4) Dust is an MMOFPS based in the EVE-Online universe.

     

    That's really all we know for sure.  People are speculating wildly and getting into a frothing panic over it.  CCP has always been very good about listening to the players and having good discussions with us.  We may not always like their decisions but they've never kept us in the dark and they've always listened.  I have faith that whatever they put in place will be an improvement to the game.  It certainly won't be an NGE.  We've all known for a while that sov changes are in the works.  This is part of that I'm sure but I doubt this is the entirety of sov.  That would be ludicrous.

    image
    "A ship-of-war is the best ambassador." - Oliver Cromwell

  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 34,004
    Originally posted by Taram


    Bottom line:
    People who are freaking out are
    1) Not paying attention to what's being said and/or reading WAY too much into it.
    2) Over reacting
    Bottom line:
    DUST is still a long way off.  We don't have any clue what it's really going to do and it's so far out that it's not even really worth worrying/considering right now.  They JUST announced it.  It's an MMO (even if it will be on consoles) so we're looking at a 2011 release at the earliest is my guess.  And CCP is known for taking it's time to get things right.  I think folks need to relax and wait and see what further information develops.
     

     

    I agree.  There is much good and bad that Dust514 could bring to EVE, but until CCP shares their plans there is no point in getting really worked up over it.

    I agree, 2011 probably is a realistic launch date, and heck, I might not even be playing EVE by then. 

    "See normal people, I'm not one of them" | G-Easy & Big Sean

    "I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

    Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing POE at the moment.

    Fools find no pleasure in understanding, but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

    Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

    "This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon






  • GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 11,687


    Originally posted by Taram
    I think people just need to voice their concerns politely on the various official threads and see what CCP says in reply.  Remember, though, that it's still very early on and they may not be done making decisions yet.  As of right now all we know is that:
     
    1) Dust will share data streams with EVE-O so that corporations/players within EVE can issue contracts to DUST 
    2) Dust will affect planetary control which may impact sov in some way the details on this are sketchy right now.
    3) Dust will, at least initially, not be released for PC
    4) Dust is an MMOFPS based in the EVE-Online universe.
     
    That's really all we know for sure.  People are speculating wildly and getting into a frothing panic over it.  CCP has always been very good about listening to the players and having good discussions with us.  We may not always like their decisions but they've never kept us in the dark and they've always listened.  I have faith that whatever they put in place will be an improvement to the game.  It certainly won't be an NGE.  We've all known for a while that sov changes are in the works.  This is part of that I'm sure but I doubt this is the entirety of sov.  That would be ludicrous.


    How do you like 2s delay on directional scanner, btw?

  • jiveturkey12jiveturkey12 Member CommonPosts: 1,262

     To people who are scared about DUST. Watch this video:

     

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_t1SKhdCkHM

     

    I know its about Walking in stations, but its great to hear the developer and his vision. He talks about how he isnt trying to grab up a bunch of different demographics, and how he wants to impliment everything slowly because of how complex EvE is.

     

    -Jive

  • batolemaeusbatolemaeus Member CommonPosts: 2,061


    Originally posted by Gdemami
    How do you like 2s delay on directional scanner, btw?


    :-|

    I noticed i often operate faster while trying to locate people. Like, way faster. Scan, adjust angle, scan again...argh, wait another second, scan, adjust angle, scan agargh!

  • ElsaboltsElsabolts Member RarePosts: 3,441

    I can answer the OP's question, Pve server

    Jihad works both ways

    " Life Liberty and the Pursuit of Those Who  Would Threaten It "
                                            MAGA
  • GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 11,687


    Originally posted by batolemaeus
    :-|I noticed i often operate faster while trying to locate people. Like, way faster. Scan, adjust angle, scan again...argh, wait another second, scan, adjust angle, scan agargh!

    Other issue is that often you don't know wheter scan was performed or you hit the button too fast and staring at the result of previous scan.

    Warp speed is now also getting into account.

  • spankybusspankybus Member UncommonPosts: 1,366

    Someone made a comment that it was feared that ambulation was actually DUST and it may mean that EVE players are getting hosed. The impression I got from that interview was that both sets of players will be able to meet and chat in EVE stations. So the Stations will literally become the social HUB.

    This sounds cool...but there are SOOO many stations, and systems....are all of these marines going to spread out all over creation? I wonder it it will thin the marines out soo much that finding a good squad would become a real chore.

    -----------------------------------

    Also, all the people griping about playing a FPS on a console sucks when compared to a PC....consoles these days have these things called a USB port. So, a Mouse and a Keyboard work just fine on them now. That is how I play, unless a game explicitly prevents it. I have not yet encountered this, though I do not play console games as much as PC.

     

    My reasons for preferring the PC are mostly logistical...the Consoles are near the TV and my PC is in a locked room....I have a 2 year old who likes to steal my conrtoller/mouse and start playing. While it is highly entertaining to hear a toddler call someone 'weaksauce', it does tend to piss off my friends when my toon starts shooting them for no apparent reason and typing gibberish.

    Frank 'Spankybus' Mignone
    www.spankybus.com
    -3d Artist & Compositor
    -Writer
    -Professional Amature

  • CyberWizCyberWiz Member UncommonPosts: 950
    Originally posted by x_rast_x


    To me it seems like the nano nerf v. 2 - a (very) small minority of people with a vested interest in keeping things the way are crying a waterfall of tears on the forums, but reaction in game seems generally positive (I would call it cautious optimism).  Now, unless you'd invested ten billion ISK in fancy nano setups and high grade snake implants or really really liked rockets, the nano nerf turned out for the best, and I honestly don't expect DUST to be much different.
    CCP has stated (somewhere, I think it was in EON) that their primary method for community feedback is via the CSM and they've shown many times before they have the balls to make big changes to keep the game fresh and move it forward in new directions.  But they're not stupid, DUST is one game, EvE is another, they will overlap and perhaps be able to directly interact (WiS seems like a good avenue for this) but I really doubt any DUST player will be able to ruin the game of any EvE player, and vice versa.



     

    This is so completely different than the nano nerf.

    This is about shattering the vision of what EVE Online might one day become.

    CCP told us for years that ambulation would come, and later on atmospheric flight, planetary interaction and down the road maybe even RTS and a groundgame.

    Now this groundgame on the planets of EVE Online goes to console only and on top of it it will influence Sovereignty.

    Another thing is that this imho kills the none instanced single server idea. We will no longer be able to go to all the places in the universe. Instead we will have to buy another platform, another game / expansion, maybe another sub, and then we can see the rest of the universe ( namely the planets ).

    One of the reasons I liked EVE Online so much was that it is one server and no expansions. It was about inclusion of players, not exclusion ( which the new dust514 clearly is, excluding the original PC players ).

    Dust is alot worse than a paid expansion, it is a paid expansion on a different platform;

     

     

    If you are interested in subscription or PCU numbers for MMORPG's, check out my site :
    http://mmodata.blogspot.be/
    Favorite MMORPG's : DAoC pre ToA-NF, SWG Pre CU-NGE, EVE Online

  • CyberWizCyberWiz Member UncommonPosts: 950
    Originally posted by spankybus


    Someone made a comment that it was feared that ambulation was actually DUST and it may mean that EVE players are getting hosed. The impression I got from that interview was that both sets of players will be able to meet and chat in EVE stations. So the Stations will literally become the social HUB.
    This sounds cool...but there are SOOO many stations, and systems....are all of these marines going to spread out all over creation? I wonder it it will thin the marines out soo much that finding a good squad would become a real chore.
    -----------------------------------
    Also, all the people griping about playing a FPS on a console sucks when compared to a PC....consoles these days have these things called a USB port. So, a Mouse and a Keyboard work just fine on them now. That is how I play, unless a game explicitly prevents it. I have not yet encountered this, though I do not play console games as much as PC.
     
    My reasons for preferring the PC are mostly logistical...the Consoles are near the TV and my PC is in a locked room....I have a 2 year old who likes to steal my conrtoller/mouse and start playing. While it is highly entertaining to hear a toddler call someone 'weaksauce', it does tend to piss off my friends when my toon starts shooting them for no apparent reason and typing gibberish.



     

    It is not of the fear that this is ambulation, it is clearly NOT ambulation. ambulaltion will most likely be a reality in 2010, this is about a groundgame for EVE Online which excludes the current EVE Online playerbase.

    EVE Online has a history of being inclusive with free expansions, so everyone is on the same page. Now we got a payed expansion that isn't even on the same platform. And we can no longer travel everywhere in EVE Online, the planets are off limits now.

     

    If you are interested in subscription or PCU numbers for MMORPG's, check out my site :
    http://mmodata.blogspot.be/
    Favorite MMORPG's : DAoC pre ToA-NF, SWG Pre CU-NGE, EVE Online

  • GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 11,687


    Originally posted by CyberWiz
    Now we got a payed expansion that isn't even on the same platform.

    Dust 514 is NO expansion. You can start from here.

  • jiveturkey12jiveturkey12 Member CommonPosts: 1,262
    Originally posted by CyberWiz

    Originally posted by spankybus


    Someone made a comment that it was feared that ambulation was actually DUST and it may mean that EVE players are getting hosed. The impression I got from that interview was that both sets of players will be able to meet and chat in EVE stations. So the Stations will literally become the social HUB.
    This sounds cool...but there are SOOO many stations, and systems....are all of these marines going to spread out all over creation? I wonder it it will thin the marines out soo much that finding a good squad would become a real chore.
    -----------------------------------
    Also, all the people griping about playing a FPS on a console sucks when compared to a PC....consoles these days have these things called a USB port. So, a Mouse and a Keyboard work just fine on them now. That is how I play, unless a game explicitly prevents it. I have not yet encountered this, though I do not play console games as much as PC.
     
    My reasons for preferring the PC are mostly logistical...the Consoles are near the TV and my PC is in a locked room....I have a 2 year old who likes to steal my conrtoller/mouse and start playing. While it is highly entertaining to hear a toddler call someone 'weaksauce', it does tend to piss off my friends when my toon starts shooting them for no apparent reason and typing gibberish.



     

    It is not of the fear that this is ambulation, it is clearly NOT ambulation. ambulaltion will most likely be a reality in 2010, this is about a groundgame for EVE Online which excludes the current EVE Online playerbase.

    EVE Online has a history of being inclusive with free expansions, so everyone is on the same page. Now we got a payed expansion that isn't even on the same platform. And we can no longer travel everywhere in EVE Online, the planets are off limits now.

     

    This doesnt mean the planets are offline, if anything the only thing offline on planets will be the battlegrounds or military areas. Why would a person who flies a ship go down to a planet and go straight into a warzone on foot?

     

    Your clearly running low on ways this could possibly be bad and just spouting out nonsense now. Give it a break and try back in  a couple of months.

     

    -Jive

Sign In or Register to comment.