Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Space games

RaizeenRaizeen Member Posts: 622

Does anyone know any good space games? not any crappy mmorpgs or online games but singleplayer ones where i can explore get new ships buy stuff cool and big fights so onIndependence War 2: Edge of Chaos (PC) looks like that but are there more? and not games that where from win 95 plz or some dosbox game but some game release after year 2000:P

Comments

• mmoguy43mmoguy43 Member UncommonPosts: 2,770

Freespace 2. You need to play that. DarkStar One is another dogfight space sim that has nice graphics but I didn't like the story all that much. There is some buying and exploring to find artifacts is a must.

Also, if you want a long play duration RTS Sins of Solar Empire is great.

• JackcoltJackcolt Member UncommonPosts: 2,170

Damn I forgot about Edge of Chaos. That game was friggin' awesome. Still the best Space Combat Sim to date if you ask me. O

Some sims I can recommend:

Starlancer

Freelancer

X-Series(very economic heavy)

DarkStar One

Evochron Renegades

Evochron Alliance

• ReklawReklaw Member UncommonPosts: 6,495
    Originally posted by Raizeen

Does anyone know any good space games? not any crappy mmorpgs or online games but singleplayer ones where i can explore get new ships buy stuff cool and big fights so onIndependence War 2: Edge of Chaos (PC) looks like that but are there more? and not games that where from win 95 plz or some dosbox game but some game release after year 2000:P

Want a RTS  Space Game? Then I would definitly suggest to check out Sins of Solar Empire 

Take control of one of three space-faring races as you work to establish your dominance of the galaxy in Sins of a Solar Empire. Through a combination of diplomacy, economic savvy, the spread of culture and of course sheer brute force and victory on the battlefield you will establish order over your corner of the galaxy.

Explore the Epic Scale of a Dynamic Galaxy

Explore and conquer neighboring planets and distant solar systems in a massively scaled, fully 3D galaxy featuring planets, clusters of asteroids, rare comets and radiant stars.

Customize and Improve Powerful Units.

As battle hardened capital ships advance in level, their core offensive and defensive systems are improved and their unique abilities are unlocked. Try out the devastating Raze Planet, the tactical Clairvoyance and the hull ravaging Phase Missile Swarm.

Take on Multiple Roles

Transition between the roles of emperor and fleet commander as you zoom-in seamlessly to direct a crucial battle while managing the rest of your empire effortlessly on the same screen.

Extensive Diplomatic and Economic Strategies

Diplomatic and economic strategies can exercise a variety of options including forging and breaking alliances, trading resources, placing bounties on backstabbing ex-allies and over-powered tyrants, blockading enemy planets, establishing trade routes and manipulating the commodities market.

Technical Features

Sins of a Solar Empire is powered by the Iron Engine - a brand new, advanced graphics engine from developer Ironclad Games that was built specifically for Sins. Using the latest in DirectX 9 technology, Sins is able to deliver a massive, detailed galaxy for the player to explore, expand into, exploit and ultimately conquer in real-time, all while being able to perform well on a range of systems and hardware.

Here are a few of the major features of the Iron Engine that you'll see in Sins of a Solar Empire:•Can support thousands of planets and solar systems, the only limitation is the player's system.

•Massive, detailed textures on ships, planets and orbital structures.

•Hundreds of ships on-screen at once, engaged in epic battle.

•Up to 10,000 particles (explosions, missiles, laser blasts etc.) on the screen at once in full-out combat.

•Seamless zoom-in and zoom-out from looking at a one-man space fighter, to viewing your entire empire spanning billions of kilometers of space.

•The Iron Engine is designed to perform well on systems ranging from middle-of-the-road hardware, to the biggest, most powerful machines on the market today. Effects, number of ships, planets etc. are only limited by how powerful your machine is. There are no hard-coded limits.

Under the Hood...

Beyond what you'll specifically be seeing in Sins of a Solar Empire, the Iron Engine packs a number of advanced features that take advantage of the most powerful graphics cards on the market. These features ensure that the engine, and games built with it, will easily scale with future hardware.

Here are just a few of the technical features of the Iron Engine:

•Per-Pixel Specular Lighting

•Dynamic Fractal Generation

•Post Process Bloom Filtering

•High Resolution Compressed Textures

•Environment Mapping

•Custom Pixel and Vertex Shaders For All Meshes and Effects

•An Advanced Particle System

If you are into complex RTS games this might be one for you, if you more into arcade RTS this might not be the game for you.

• trev9999trev9999 Member Posts: 199

Homeworld 2

CURRENTLY PLAYING SHAIYA

• BaronJuJuBaronJuJu Member UncommonPosts: 1,832

I recommed the X3 series. I think its exactly what you are looking for.

"If we don't attack them, they will attack us first. So we'd better retaliate before they have a chance to strike"

• outfctrloutfctrl Member UncommonPosts: 3,619
    Originally posted by Jackcolt

Damn I forgot about Edge of Chaos. That game was friggin' awesome. Still the best Space Combat Sim to date if you ask me. O
    Starlancer
    Freelancer
    DarkStar One
    Evochron Renegades
    Evochron Alliance

The newest Evochron series that just came out this year is called "Evochron Legends".  Pretty cool game.  You can land on Planets, mine on planets and take off into space again.

Dark Star One is full of bugs.  Just go to their site and look at the forums.  Many people complaining.  I bought it and shelved it.  It is a pretty game though.

• JayBirdzJayBirdz Member Posts: 1,017
    Originally posted by BaronJuJu

I recommed the X3 series. I think its exactly what you are looking for.

The X series would be perfect if the capital ships piloted anything like in Eve.   I haven't tryed.  X2 piloting cap ships sucked. =/  Are they any better in X3?  If so how?

• DrChickenDrChicken Member Posts: 263

I just picked up X3: Terran Conflict and it's a good deal of fun. They did a tremendous job restructuring the user interface this time around, and I don't get any kind of performance issues (unfortunately X3 Reunion brought that expectation into play) with the newest patches. It is, however, very deep and oftentimes convoluted, as well as economy-centered, but that's how I like my games - I play Dwarf Fortress more than I should. :P

• JackcoltJackcolt Member UncommonPosts: 2,170
    Originally posted by outfctrl

Starlancer
    Freelancer
    DarkStar One
    Evochron Renegades
    Evochron Alliance

The newest Evochron series that just came out this year is called "Evochron Legends".  Pretty cool game.  You can land on Planets, mine on planets and take off into space again.

Dark Star One is full of bugs.  Just go to their site and look at the forums.  Many people complaining.  I bought it and shelved it.  It is a pretty game though.

How big are the planets this time around? I liked the other Evochron games, but the planets were way to small to be enjoyable.

• outfctrloutfctrl Member UncommonPosts: 3,619

Originally posted by outfctrl

Starlancer
    Freelancer
    DarkStar One
    Evochron Renegades
    Evochron Alliance

How big are the planets this time around? I liked the other Evochron games, but the planets were way to small to be enjoyable.

Here is a free demo.  Try it out.

LINK

• Einherjar_LCEinherjar_LC Member UncommonPosts: 1,055

If you like turn based strategy games I would definately look into Galactic Civilizations 2.

Customizable ships, and races, diplomacy, alliances, treaties, all out war, cultural domination, endless tech trees....so many facets tothis wonderful game.

Check it out here:

http://www.galciv2.com/index.aspx

Einherjar_LC says: WTB the true successor to UO or Asheron's Call pst!