Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

MMORPG or Not?

mThree3mThree3 Member Posts: 60

This debate is going too far. Accept it that it is a third-person shooter with no game rooms and a lot of people. That being said here are my thoughts.

Yes it is an MMORPG in the fact that a lot of people should be playing it. You level up. There is crafting. There are A LOT OF PEOPLE on one server.

The 'ifs' on the Non-MMO part. Combat is restricted to 12vs12 (as of right now). We can compare that to battlegrounds.

Lack of explorable world.

Oh, wait... those are  the only opinion I am hearing. Is the limit to 12vs12, and the lack of an explorable world. But to be honest is there really anymore 'exploreable' worlds in new-gen MMOs? Guildwars? Very little. WoW... okay some. WAR Very little. To be honest I do believe Global Agenda can just be considered Counter-Strike on crack. In the view that is is a F(T)PS. In the views off MMOs. I see it similar to Planet side. Planetside near its end turned into maybe 30v30 if you are lucky and no one explored because you could dropship to wherever you wanted to go.

My stand. It is close to an MMO but it is not 100% there. It is still overall a very interesting game and I want to beta test it :(

Comments

• dredyoualldredyouall Member Posts: 3

"Massively multiplayer online role-playing game (commonly abbreviated MMORPG) is a genre of computer role-playing games in which a very large number of players interact with one another within a virtual game world... MMORPGs are distinguished from single-player or small multi-player RPGs by the number of players, and by the game's persistent world"

Well firstly is it a Role-playing game? It incoporates RPG mechanics so I would say yes.

Is it Massively multiplayer? Well there you will be able to interact with lots of people so I would say yes again.

Is the games world persistant? Well thats more difficult... but from the sounds of things it is split into different zones. Since I honestly don't know it could be as persistant as "City of Heroes" or as persistant as "Rakion" really depends on what direction they take the game.

Over all I would say that this is an MMORPG. Its not a cookie cutter - EQ, WoW, Lineage - mmorpg, but an MMORPG none the less.

• hellaskanhellaskan Member Posts: 15

Trying to learn about the game here, but what exactly is the 12 vs 12 limit? It's an MMO right? If it's an MMO wouldn't we be led to believe that you could have 400 vs 400 in theory? (no lag) Where do these restricted fights occur? Is this game nonstop Battlegrounds? (like the BG's found in WoW)

Are you telling me that when I go into combat, it's something sort of instanced or at least, limited in number? Maybe I run to the bad guys base (or whatever there is in this game), can i kill a few people outside the base area, or whatever? I guess I really, really don't understand what this game is about or how it works. Break it down in simple terms if you can, I'd appreciate it.

• ZukanZukan Member Posts: 161
    Originally posted by hellaskan

Trying to learn about the game here, but what exactly is the 12 vs 12 limit? It's an MMO right? If it's an MMO wouldn't we be led to believe that you could have 400 vs 400 in theory? (no lag) Where do these restricted fights occur? Is this game nonstop Battlegrounds? (like the BG's found in WoW)
    Are you telling me that when I go into combat, it's something sort of instanced or at least, limited in number? Maybe I run to the bad guys base (or whatever there is in this game), can i kill a few people outside the base area, or whatever? I guess I really, really don't understand what this game is about or how it works. Break it down in simple terms if you can, I'd appreciate it.

You queue up for matches, and zone into instanced maps where you fight against a team of 12 players. That's how PUG matches roll. The 45 day campagin will work similarly, I'm sure but with more meaning and orginization behind it.

""You queue up for matches, and zone into instanced maps where you fight against a team of 12 players.

What? I thought this was an MMO? Wow, i guess i was totally off in what I thought this game was delivering.

So it's instanced combat in an MMO with limited number of participants.. they aren't charging a monthly fee for this right? No open explorable world, 12vs12 combat.. weird how this is coined an MMO though.

Well, maybe someone will come out with a true MMOFPS. thanks for the info sir!

I suppose it coes down to your difinition of MMO. Everyone has their own. /shrug

You don't see everyone all at once in any other MMO either, and if you try to you lag out and it's not enjoyable. Global Agenda's MMO title probably comes from the fact there will only be one server (per region) meaning all North American palyers are in the same game world, all competing for the win. It's sort of like WoW arena ladders (or how I think WoW arenas work, as I don't partake in them) in that, you fight in your little squad for ranking and compare your number to numbers of other people on other servers and such. Instead of comparing numbers though, you actually get to fight those people in GA.

Personally the combat experience alone is worth giving the game a try, since it's really the most fun I've had playing any game since EverQuest.

• tamgrostamgros Member Posts: 88

Yeah, most MMOs coming out are also using sharding.  This allows for less laggy gameplay on the whole, but does separate many players, even if they are on the same part of the map.

AoC, Aion, STO, and CO are all doing/will do this, probably many mroe too...

• neoterrarneoterrar Member Posts: 512

Yeah it's not massive multi-player by any sense of the imagination.

To compare it to games that limit players per area (~100 players mind you) is just silliness.

Is there a persistent world that you actually interact with?

---

There needs to be a new genre name created for these new "MMOFPS" games. Something to do with persistent characters.

Persistent Progression FPS...or some crud.

• spLaggerspLagger Member UncommonPosts: 130

I'm still not sure if really falls into the MMORPG category myself, but that for sure doesn't mean it's a bad game by any means, heck it could be f'n great. I think it would fall more under the MORPG, it's not massive... gamer interaction sounds like it's more confined. I mean if this is considered a MMORPG then so would Diablo, but I think most of us can agree that Diablo is not a MMO game rather a MO game, but Diablo was one of my favorite games at the time.

I'm going to reserve my judgment on how good of a game it is and how MMO it feels until it's released.

edit: Neoterrar, I think MORPGFPS could work for games like these as the only real difference is that the whole game interaction is not on a massive scale, but everything else fits as you're role playing as a character that develops.

Originally posted by neoterrar

Is there a persistent world that you actually interact with?

Yes.

• KittyKimJongKittyKimJong Member Posts: 22

No it's not an RPG and they don't advertise it as one.

IMHO it is an MMO with 1 server per region of the world, meaning one server for UK/Europe and one for USA.  So imagine of the USA players in one world/group of citys together and how can you say that's not a Massive Multiplayer Online game?

But... You could also think of the game as not an MMO because theirs no open world, so it can't be Massive.  Massive is talking about the player population, it's how big the world is.  There could be an MMO out there with only 25 people playing it on one server, with open world and huge maps/areas.  That game is Massive because of the world and it's multiplayer online game.

Playing:
    Global Agenda
    Waiting:
    APB

Large map area is not the general definition for MMOs, it's Massively Multiplayer Online, the key aspect is to interact with people on a massive scale that is not accomplished by games outside of it's genre. To me if you consider GA a MMO game just because they have a 3D lobby then Diablo should be considered a MMO as well as since there aren't many servers and there is one central chat room for the region.

Again since not a whole lot is given on the world interaction I can't assume too much myself. I'm just stating as it sounds it's more of a MO, not a MMO.  Again if this is considered an MMO I can argue that Diablo and the like should be considered an MMO.

I also don't see how it doesn't incorporate RPG elements? You have a character in a world with its own lore, you character has a name who you assume, the character evolves over time and in the beginning you pick a role (or class). And I think you're a little off by saying that GA doesn't advertise itself as an RPG, it tries to advertise itself as RPG/FPS/Strategy. This is from their website

"Global Agenda has elements of an RPG because your character does progress and unlock new skills and gear over time.

* We offer four very distinct but broad player classes and a large set of usable device types including ranged weapons, close-combat weapons, stealth & deception devices, remote controlled robotic pets, turrets, force fields, and many, many more.

* Your character earns credit with NPC factions by doing missions and acquires a more powerful and diverse collection of gear over time.

* However, we are definitely not an exploration-focused game, nor heavy on quest dialog, nor a game where grinding content will allow you to easily defeat those of a lower character level. To us 'playing a role' pertains to the role you carve out for yourself on your mission strike team and your player-created Agency. We do not expect the player to simply act out a role via scripted story missions.

* We provide the context but players drive the story."

hi-rez.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/71/related/1

Just stating what they are stating. To me it is still a hybrid. But an MMO, I'm not sure yet.

What difference does it game if it's a MOG or a MMOG? A rose by any other name...

just that classifications allow a person to know what to generally expect. I mean I'm extremely excited about this game, I'm like a crack baby waiting to get more crack for this game, lol.  I mean you wouldn't scientifically call a boy a girl cuz he looks like one even though he doesn't have a vagina.

You'd call him a girly-man. So does that make GA a MMOy-FPS? Still putting it roughly in the MMO section? :P

I'm just saying if this is considered a MMO then Diablo should be too.

I've seen people list Diablo 2 as MMO's they've played. I suppose it can be, but looked down upon by more hardcore MMO players because it's a single/co-op story line that comes to a resolve at the end, where MMO's don't generally have endings. Everquest I don't recall really having a story line, but just lore in general.

i mean MMOs don't really have anything to do with story lines and such. It's just the scale of interaction online. Diablo's only massive scale interaction is the central chat room. Most you can play with people I think is 8 at a time, something like that. I don't see how that is any different then say Combat Arms.... just seems like if you blur the lines then you can just allow any online game that has players playing online together as a MMO.

Personally I like the games that have a single player mode to it like Diablo or Drift City, allows a person to kinda take a break from the grind and enjoy a long story. It's also more fun to level that way if you're just going to be grinding.

• InterestingInteresting Member UncommonPosts: 972

This is one of the games that didnt deserve to be on this site, but... it is because if mmorpg.com doesnt embrace it, others will, and the more people attention they get, the more money they get from advertisement.

In short, "we act as if we dont know this".

When most, heck.. 99% of gamers that have played an MMO or know of an MMO read "MMOFPS" they do not think of..and I quote::

The defending Agency, who should be aware that their HEX Board is open to attack, gets a brief window to assemble a defense and then the 12 vs. 12 encounter begins.

12 vs 12? I can have 24 vs 24 in a number of current FPS's.

But really who cares.. if i play this game like an FPS, but with some persitant stats, it's all good. I'm surte they'll have dedicated servers and the price will be aorund 40 bucks for the game and no monthly fee.

-shrug-

but for the sake of sanity, take off the MMO nomenclature.

it's just on the sake of arguing where does this game actually fall under.

And the game's price I don't think has been established, but it's going to be a monthly subscription for I think $15/mo

• neonwireneonwire Member Posts: 1,787
    Originally posted by hellaskan

""You queue up for matches, and zone into instanced maps where you fight against a team of 12 players.
    What? I thought this was an MMO? Wow, i guess i was totally off in what I thought this game was delivering.
    So it's instanced combat in an MMO with limited number of participants.. they aren't charging a monthly fee for this right? No open explorable world, 12vs12 combat.. weird how this is coined an MMO though.
    Well, maybe someone will come out with a true MMOFPS. thanks for the info sir!

Dont be so ignorant and quick to judge. Rather than just listening to the opinions of others on how they "think" the game works, how about forming your own by reading the latest article which can be found on the main page of this website. Its actually a pretty exciting read as no other mmo offers what these guys a proposing.

http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/339/feature/3604/page/1

What Hi-Rez Studios are proposing is actually more of a REAL mmo than anything else currently on offer. The main thing which seperates this game from the rest is that your actions actually CHANGE THE GAME WORLD. Very few mmos can offer this. They give you the "illusion" of a game world but it really isnt. WoW, EQ2, AoC, WAR, Aion.......they're all just linear stories and anything you do in those stories doesnt count for shit. The thing is big open worlds dont neccessarily mean anything when you cant actually interact with them or change them in any way. In Global Agenda you can.

Hi-Rez Studios made the correct decision by having smaller EVENLY MATCHED AND BALANCED battles where players fight for the control of each zone on the map. In game terms this is actually quite realistic and how wars should be throught. Can you run for miles until you reach the enemies base and then start whacking on the guards? No of course not. Why the hell would you?!What happens so far in every game which has open world PvP? You know that thing called "the zerg" which so many people hate? Well it doesnt exist in Global Agenda. Neither does ganking. You're not gonna lose a battle simply because a level 40 toon just met your level 10 toon.

In the games which have open world PvP can you actually do anything which changes the game world? Nope. You can take control of some shitty keep that has been plonked in the middle of a big empty land mass. Big fucking deal. Then what? Sit around hoping that someone will take it back? Everyone is well aware of the ridiculous keep swapping which kept occuring in WAR. Now people are witnessing the stupidity of the zerg wars in Aion as well.

Big openworld PvP = totally overrated. Real life battles are open world pvp but they actually work. Do you know why? Its because.......YOU CAN ACTUALLY DIE!! In an mmo everyone is immortal and not only that but they can ressurect a short distance away and be back in the fray a few minutes later. Its retarded and pretty pointless. So really all you end up with in open world PvP is two big armies of immortal idiots whacking on each other and the only way to "win" is to piss your enemies off so much that they either quit out of frustration or they run away due to boredom and find an easier target that they can outnumber or gank. Computer games work much better when the game play is focused and controlled. Yes I know the idea of fighting a giant war with hundreds of players is very alluring. It no doubt makes everyone think of some epic battle scene from their favourite films.......but we all know that its nothing like that. Games work differently to real life so there is little point in trying to emulate it. Having said that Global Agenda's approach where you form up into a strike force and launch into a zone with specific objectives in mind is actually pretty realistic. Organise 100 idiots in an mmo? No thanks. I think I would rather have fun.

Global Agenda avoids all of that boring shit. Every battle you fight has a purpose in a larger overall war effort. You cant just win a battle by outnumbering your enemy. You have to actually beat them by using better skill and tactics.......and if your team wins the fight for that zone then it has an impact on all the zones around you. You also have to co-ordinate strikes with multiple teams when you attack an enemy base. In the article they give an example where if one side controls a particular zone which might have a power generator in it then they can shut down the automated defences in an adjacent zone, making it easier for your team to storm and take that zone. This means you have to pay attention to which zones are strategiclly most advantageous to your side. There are a hell of a lot of other awesome ideas described in that article. Yeah yeah I know the game isnt out yet and it might not be able to pull it all off properly but if it even gets remotely close then it will make a laughing stock of the feeble attempts made by other mmos.

Yet all people seem to be able to see is "Ohh wut dis game has instances?! Wut datz shit dude. I wantz my open world. It aint da mmo if it aint gotza big open world innit. Dis is just da same as Counterstrike". How extremely narrow minded. People really need to start reading up about games before they jump to such hasty and ill-informed conclusions.

• NecronamisNecronamis Member Posts: 5

Hmm, can Global Agenda be considered an MMO? Lets take a look at that acronym for a moment, MMO stands for; Massively Multiplayer Online. Now lets start with the last word; Online. Yes, Global Agenda is played exclusively online. Next to last is Multiplayer. Again, yes, Global Agenda pits several people playing against and with each other. Lastly is Massively. Global Agenda will have more then a couple hundred thousand people connected to the world at any one time at launch (assuming the general trend of all MMOs at launch). So yes, GA can be classified as an MMO and at the same time it will break that mold of the 'traditional' MMO all you kiddies have been spoiled by WoW with.

• IAmMMOIAmMMO Member UncommonPosts: 1,462
    Originally posted by mThree3

This debate is going too far. Accept it that it is a third-person shooter with no game rooms and a lot of people. That being said here are my thoughts.

Yes it is an MMORPG in the fact that a lot of people should be playing it. You level up. There is crafting. There are A LOT OF PEOPLE on one server.
    The 'ifs' on the Non-MMO part. Combat is restricted to 12vs12 (as of right now). We can compare that to battlegrounds.

Oh, wait... those are  the only opinion I am hearing. Is the limit to 12vs12, and the lack of an explorable world. But to be honest is there really anymore 'exploreable' worlds in new-gen MMOs? Guildwars? Very little. WoW... okay some. WAR Very little. To be honest I do believe Global Agenda can just be considered Counter-Strike on crack. In the view that is is a F(T)PS. In the views off MMOs. I see it similar to Planet side. Planetside near its end turned into maybe 30v30 if you are lucky and no one explored because you could dropship to wherever you wanted to go.
    My stand. It is close to an MMO but it is not 100% there. It is still overall a very interesting game and I want to beta test it :(

It's classed as a MMOFPS, not MMORPG.

so do we consider Diablo a MMO?

• neonwireneonwire Member Posts: 1,787
    Originally posted by IAmMMO

Originally posted by mThree3

It's classed as a MMOFPS, not MMORPG.

......by you.

Who gives a shit? I can shoot things in WoW with my mage so does that mean it isnt an rpg? Conversely in Global Agenda I can walk up to someone and chop them up with my power sword. Does that make it an rpg for ya? Having to aim at your target doesnt mean it isnt an rpg.