Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

There are buttons on your screen!

BellarionBellarion Member Posts: 244

As you will all soon have watched the videos out of gameplay. You will notice buttons on the bottom of the screen. ....

Gross.

I hope these are optional, and that those who choose to not have them on their screen are not impeded or made less capable of playing the game.

SecondI thought I saw mouse point and click movement, but I am sure I am crazy because this is also a console game, so again I hope people who choose controller are not nerfed.

WOOT
www.eorzeapedia.com
(Great FF14 source)

Comments

• Proximo521Proximo521 Member UncommonPosts: 283
    Originally posted by Bellarion

As you will all soon have watched the videos out of gameplay. You will notice buttons on the bottom of the screen. ....
    Gross.
    I hope these are optional, and that those who choose to not have them on their screen are not impeded or made less capable of playing the game.
    SecondI thought I saw mouse point and click movement, but I am sure I am crazy because this is also a console game, so again I hope people who choose controller are not nerfed.

I do believe it was a console but I dont think it is completely console driven. I'm pretty sure that they are going to have the PC version come out as well.

But I am in agreement, I did not like that. I do believe that they would provide customization of your GUI.. Or at least I hope they do. I do remember that they did say something about that in an interview. I just dont remember where.

I played on the PS2 and I remember them giving you options to change that function. In this case, I hope they didnt remove that functionality from this game. I don't believe they would nerf the controller seeing as a lot of users in Japan played on the PS2, by past experience I'm pretty sure they wouldn't, but I have been wrong before.

• BellarionBellarion Member Posts: 244

I like you remember hearing about UI customization. Thank you for your response. :D we will both cross our fingers. In the other Vids there was a samsung Tv( i think it was the same 32 incher I have at home) and thi TV did not seem to have the buuton, and Im not sure but i think there was no mouse movement as well.

WOOT
    www.eorzeapedia.com
    (Great FF14 source)

• wartywarty Member Posts: 461

while I will be using an acompanying keyboard and mouse, I will be sad if using the ps3s pad is gimped/underwhelming/badl laid out or whatever, as it will be a welcome break from keyboard based RSI. I dont really feel like making my ps3 into a sub PC

Playing polished, lag free, feature complete games is carebear. Whining about a game you hate but still play is hardcore man!

• KhrymsonKhrymson Member UncommonPosts: 3,090

In this video you can clearly see him using the mouse frequently, and also at 0:43 you can see him grab a piece of the UI, whatever those bars are next to the compass and drag them.  So hopefully we'll be able to move all pieces of the UI around as we please on the PC!

I wonder how I will customize my PS3. Im sure it will be possible... hehe im so excited,

WOOT
    www.eorzeapedia.com
    (Great FF14 source)

• RajenRajen Member Posts: 689

Having buttons on the screen doesn't bother me, just sounds like something for people to nitpick at.

• DillingerEPDillingerEP Member UncommonPosts: 366
    Originally posted by Rajen

Having buttons on the screen doesn't bother me, just sounds like something for people to nitpick at.

QFT

I think you will find a lot of people who were able to enjoy the beauty of FF11 without buttons all over their screen, do not  neccesarily look forward to having them forced on them in this far more graphically beautiful game.

Of course, again, it will probably be customizable and so a non-issue. However, just because you don't mind buttons on your screen does not mean others feel the same way.

In FF11 the UI was so amazing you could play/controll the game with few limitations on your view of the world around you. This is mainly due to a superb macro system which will be in the game again, hopefully very similar. It was also due to how the menus and chat logs etc. were created. All very polished, so much so, that they were "in and out" sort of tools used and then gone so quickly your screen was often empty of much aside from mobs, scenery and your character.

Im sure SE will again create a UI that takes a little work to master but in the end leaves you with a better ability to enjoy their work.

WOOT
    www.eorzeapedia.com
    (Great FF14 source)

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

I think you will find a lot of people who were able to enjoy the beauty of FF11 without buttons all over their screen, do not  neccesarily look forward to having them forced on them in this far more graphically beautiful game.
    Of course, again, it will probably be customizable and so a non-issue. However, just because you don't mind buttons on your screen does not mean other feel the same way.
    In FF11 the UI was so amazing you could play/controll the game with view limitations on your view of the world around you. This is mainly due to a superb macro system which will be in the game again, hopefully very similar. It was also due to how the menus and chat logs etc. were created. All very polished, so much so, that they were "in and out" sort of tools used and then gone so quickly your screen was often empty of much aside from mobs, scenery and your character.
    Im sure SE will again create a UI that takes a little work to master but in the end leave you with a better ability to enjoy their work.

I agree 100% :D.I also agree with the little work to master,i can't believe how many lazy people complained about FFXI's UI or the thousands that complained about the keyboard setup,it was all there ,you just had to show some effort to learn it.It was VERY neat ,tidy and easy to use,i loved it.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• Proximo521Proximo521 Member UncommonPosts: 283
    Originally posted by Wizardry

Of course, again, it will probably be customizable and so a non-issue. However, just because you don't mind buttons on your screen does not mean other feel the same way.
    In FF11 the UI was so amazing you could play/controll the game with view limitations on your view of the world around you. This is mainly due to a superb macro system which will be in the game again, hopefully very similar. It was also due to how the menus and chat logs etc. were created. All very polished, so much so, that they were "in and out" sort of tools used and then gone so quickly your screen was often empty of much aside from mobs, scenery and your character.
    Im sure SE will again create a UI that takes a little work to master but in the end leave you with a better ability to enjoy their work.

I agree 100% :D.I also agree with the little work to master,i can't believe how many lazy people complained about FFXI's UI or the thousands that complained about the keyboard setup,it was all there ,you just had to show some effort to learn it.It was VERY neat ,tidy and easy to use,i loved it.

I agree as well, most of the time when I noticed someone complaining about the UI was because, they simply were not used to looking in those spots. They were normally geared to looking for a specific place like there Macro Bar for time delays and what not. Mostly all info was done in the chat log... that part Im scared about (In FFXI). I hope that we dont have to filter the stupid chat log to make sure we get the pertinent info. Other than that.... FFXI's UI was perfect and tidy as you stated.

I also noticed the compass in the new UI, it was nice to see that it was somewhat similar but not. On the other hand, the macro system they had in FFXI is something I hope they port over! That was the best macro system ever and I loved it because of the intricate ways you could use it. You could even have a little fun with it and create a emote macro. Yes there were a lot of crappy ones out there, but there was one that I can defnitely think that makes me laugh to this day. Ahhh, the good ole days of FFXI.....

• svannsvann Member RarePosts: 2,230

I dont think there has been an mmo in the last 10 years that didnt have an F key devoted to blanking out your ui for cleaner screenshots.  Why would you assume that FF would not?

• Draco91Draco91 Member Posts: 134
    Originally posted by svann

I dont think there has been an mmo in the last 10 years that didnt have an F key devoted to blanking out your ui for cleaner screenshots.  Why would you assume that FF would not?

The posters here are not talking about a cleaner screen for screenshots. FFXI had a healthbar, a chatbox which shrank overtime with inactivity, a small, RPG-type "Fight", "Switch Targets" "Items" "Magic" type menu, and macros that only appeared when you needed them (you held down a button to get them to come up). This way, even while fighting / during normal gameplay, your screen was uncluttered. It was an excellent system and I hope it carries over too.

"In Internet slang, a troll is someone who posts controversial, inflammatory, irrelevant or off-topic messages in an online community, such as an online discussion forum, chat room or blog, with the primary intent of provoking other users into an emotional or disciplinary response[1] or of otherwise disrupting normal on-topic discussion.[2]" (Wikipedia.org, 8-24-09)

The best way to deal with trolls:
    http://www.angelfire.com/space/usenet/ [IGNORE THEM, THEY JUST WANT ATTENTION!]

• twruletwrule Member Posts: 1,251

If you've read the dev interviews, they said the UI is by no means finalized, and they are likely to redesign it significantly.  They also mentioned that it is very customizable.  The battle system seems to revolve around 3 gauges (not talking about HP/MP), so you'll have to atleast look at those.  The 10 (atleast) commands you can choose from play important roles as well, but they said macroing will be available, so I wouldn't be surprised if you could just macro all your abilities and get rid of all the icons, leaving only your bars, gauges, compass and chatbox.

• SoulSurferSoulSurfer Member UncommonPosts: 1,024

at least console players don't have to use a gigantic clunky POS xbox360 controller.

playstation controllers are so much more ergonomically correct and comfortable and efficient with the UI design of xi.

I developed a new kind of carpultunnel syndrome? - when I switched from ps2 to 360, controller.  It felt awful.

After the x360 fried, I played on a gaming PC til I quit and can come to my own conclusions.

So having played all three, I like the comfort of the playstation, (sitting in recliner, bed, whatever w/ controller) was luxury.  It allowed for me play the game for marathon hours and sessions through night and day.

The computer was not as comfortable but it did have faster performance / resolution hands down.  This was good to play on when you were in HNM situations or where you needed to be on point with your gameplay action.  Though I could only stand sitting at a comp for 3 or 4 hours before it starts to feel fatigued.

I'm sure the new ps3 controlls will feel great and work in an efficient manner. =)

btw... don't most mmo's have buttons "on the screen" (confused)...

@ Svann - Draco91 (as well as the rest of the thread explains what I meant) , try reading either.

@ Draco91- Exactly, /sigh I wants a clean FFX!-like screen, that was so innovative how they made gameplay so simple and unobstructive to the world around you(once you got the hang of it).

@twrule- I have established that I read the interviews, and that I hope the command bar is either nuked of made optional. Just my opinion, they had an amazing system in FF11 .I see this change as a possible way to appeal to those people who played FF11 and found it difficult to comprehend the UI. I think many these people might be PC MMO players though, becuase on PS2 I rmember my brother(and I before him) just picking up the controller and plugging in a keyboard and everything just seemed second nature, like in  other console games. He had never plaed an MMO befre.  When PC MMO players played FF11 they wanted better mouse movement, or point and click movement and all the other things they came to know and like about their previous MMOs, without first giving a bit of time to understanding the amazing UI in FF11(and getting a controller which I did on my PC, still amazing).

So now in FF14 we see a move to make the controlls more PC friendly, but at what cost? Will the PS3 HAVE to have a command bar becaus PC users and ex WOW players want something to click on with there mice? Will we have to have a mouse plugged into our PS3's to move thing screen bars and such (as long as I can save these changes then I dont mind it I guess). What other changes to a system, froma game where they are copying many aspects, are they going to make to appeal to people who disliked the UI in FF14 or never played FF14. And is that a given that they will stay with FF14 or was it something else about the FF MMO they didn't like anyways.

@ Souldserfer- You didn't read the thread or even a few replies if you are asking that. PLease do.

WOOT
    www.eorzeapedia.com
    (Great FF14 source)

• WSIMikeWSIMike Member Posts: 5,564

@ Svann - Draco91 (as well as the rest of the thread explains what I meant) , try reading either.
    @ Draco91- Exactly, /sigh I wants a clean FFX!-like screen, that was so innovative how they made gameplay so simple and unobstructive to the world around you(once you got the hang of it).
    @twrule- I have established that I read the interviews, and that I hope the command bar is either nuked of made optional. Just my opinion, they had an amazing system in FF11 .I see this change as a possible way to appeal to those people who played FF11 and found it difficult to comprehend the UI. I think many these people might be PC MMO players though, becuase on PS2 I rmember my brother(and I before him) just picking up the controller and plugging in a keyboard and everything just seemed second nature, like in  other console games. He had never plaed an MMO befre.  When PC MMO players played FF11 they wanted better mouse movement, or point and click movement and all the other things they came to know and like about their previous MMOs, without first giving a bit of time to understanding the amazing UI in FF11(and getting a controller which I did on my PC, still amazing).
    So now in FF14 we see a move to make the controlls more PC friendly, but at what cost? Will the PS3 HAVE to have a command bar becaus PC users and ex WOW players want something to click on with there mice? Will we have to have a mouse plugged into our PS3's to move thing screen bars and such (as long as I can save these changes then I dont mind it I guess). What other changes to a system, froma game where they are copying many aspects, are they going to make to appeal to people who disliked the UI in FF14 or never played FF14. And is that a given that they will stay with FF14 or was it something else about the FF MMO they didn't like anyways.
    @ Souldserfer- You didn't read the thread or even a few replies if you are asking that. PLease do.

Well, as for the game *having* to have a hotkey bar for the PC players... and that being undesirable to the console players.

I guess it's the opposite complaint that people have had for a long time now in FFXI... Many PC players *wanted* a hotkey bar always on the screen and didn't. They've adapted and have done fine with it, though.

As for comments made about people wanting a hotkey bar on the screen being "lazy" or whatever... I don't think the labels are necessary or appropriate. People simply have preferences. They're no less "complainers" about wanting a hotkey bar in FFXI than others might be for not wanting them on the screen in XIV.

The best case scenario would be the option to enable/disable it (which, incidentally, many MMOs do have for various interface parts. 

However, worst-case scenario, the console-only players might have to cope with having a hotbar on screen all the time, like many PC-only players had to cope without it in FFXI.

-shrug-

"If you just step away for a sec you will clearly see all the pot holes in the road,
    and the cash shop selling asphalt..."
    - Mimzel on F2P/Cash Shops

WSIMike, please don't use "quote"s and imply I said somethign if I didn't. I didn't say "lazy"or "complainers" . Although biased deifinitely, I was not rude.  I merely provided my point of view, and possibly the point of view of a few unrepresented FF11 fans. 

I also expressed how hopefull I was that certain of these aspects might be optional, like SE said.

WOOT
    www.eorzeapedia.com
    (Great FF14 source)

WSIMike, please don't use "quote"s and imply I said somethign if I didn't. I didn't say "lazy"or "complainers" . Although biased deifinitely, I was not rude.  I merely provided my point of view, and possibly the point of view of a few unrepresented FF11 fans. 
    I also expressed how hopefull I was that certain of these aspects might be optional, like SE said.

Whoah...  Relax.

I never implied that you said anything... 

The "lazy" statement was in reference to a comment in another earlier post - #10 from Wizardry to be exact - which was a response to yours. Since we're both reading the same thread and, presumably, the same posts, I figured people would know which remark I was referring to. I guess not. 

Anyway, since you didn't say those things, it would stand to reason that my comments weren't intended for you. Seems logical, yes?

I'll be more careful in the future to specifically refer to who made what comment, in which post, on which day and at what time, so people's feathers don't get in a ruffle.

Don't be so touchy.

"If you just step away for a sec you will clearly see all the pot holes in the road,

• SoulSurferSoulSurfer Member UncommonPosts: 1,024

@ Bell, I read this post last week as well as all of the replies, but decided to post today.  I probably went off on a tangent ( I usually do) about the controllers and not the UI, but - I do agree with other folks when they say they just want a nice ps3 controller and keyboard.  I saw other people that posted wierd looking pictures of controllers on other threads.

Being as I refuse to text message on cell phones etc..., I would be crippled if I tried to play on what I think is a joke of a keyboard integrated with mini joysticks and normal controller buttons... I hope they keep the UI relatively simple, but still customizable.

*KISS* "keep it simple stupid"  =)

• toddzetoddze Member UncommonPosts: 2,150
    Originally posted by Rajen

Anything thats not the norm (WoW UI in most cases) people are automatically going to complain about it, and when its the same they still complain. You cant please everyone.

Waiting for:EQ-Next, ArcheAge (not so much anymore)
    Now Playing: N/A
    Worst MMO: FFXIV
    Favorite MMO: FFXI

• kaladikaladi Member Posts: 19

I was able to play final fantasy XIV at the gamescom.

The staff said i should forget the wow controls and the mouse and only play with my keyboard.

WASD to move, arrowkeys to move camera, after a few seconds it wasnt to bad to control like this.

I am not complaining it is NOT WOW enough, I am saying it is too WOW.

WOOT
    www.eorzeapedia.com
    (Great FF14 source)

Originally posted by kaladi

I was able to play final fantasy XIV at the gamescom.
    The staff said i should forget the wow controls and the mouse and only play with my keyboard.
    WASD to move, arrowkeys to move camera, after a few seconds it wasnt to bad to control like this.

Hmm... So it would control similar to how the compact setup works in FFXI, then. That wouldnt' be too bad for me, personally, because that's how I play XI anyway. But for others... Did they clarify whether that was the better setup for the demo only? Or will that be the case at launch as well?

Also... what keys were used for your left and right hands/skills?

• cukimungacukimunga Member UncommonPosts: 2,258
    Originally posted by SoulSurfer

at least console players don't have to use a gigantic clunky POS xbox360 controller.

playstation controllers are so much more ergonomically correct and comfortable and efficient with the UI design of xi.
    I developed a new kind of carpultunnel syndrome? - when I switched from ps2 to 360, controller.  It felt awful.
    After the x360 fried, I played on a gaming PC til I quit and can come to my own conclusions.

So having played all three, I like the comfort of the playstation, (sitting in recliner, bed, whatever w/ controller) was luxury.  It allowed for me play the game for marathon hours and sessions through night and day.
    The computer was not as comfortable but it did have faster performance / resolution hands down.  This was good to play on when you were in HNM situations or where you needed to be on point with your gameplay action.  Though I could only stand sitting at a comp for 3 or 4 hours before it starts to feel fatigued.
    I'm sure the new ps3 controlls will feel great and work in an efficient manner. =)
    btw... don't most mmo's have buttons "on the screen" (confused)...

You know what they say about guys who have big hands right?    They use bigger controllers,   the 360 controller is great for my hands  and the original xbox controller was even better.  The PS controller is just to small for me, but If I want the ultimate big controller I just go PC and use Keyboard and Mouse.

But as for the UI I really did like FFXI UI , I like seeing my screen and not have half my screen covered with abilities. I did see the bar at the bottom faded away with time but like people said its most likely gonna get changed and it will be customizable. So with that being said Im sure I have nothing to worry about. SE has never let me down before.

• kaladikaladi Member Posts: 19

pretty normal, number keys for skills.

There was one special thing: the caster had to "activate" the skill by pressing 2 or another number and then enter to use it.

Also the ranger and gladiator had the same combat system as the warrior in WoW.