Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Console FPS players are about the most fickle demographic out there

dikkydikky Member CommonPosts: 261

What a bizarre demographic to be targeting. The console FPS crowd is GREAT to go after for HUGE initial sales, but they're not exactly known for sticking around with games for long periods of times.

There are exceptions like Halo and GoW, but a lot of console fps game communities are very small even after a year.

For the most part they are always after the latest and greatest fps coming out. I wonder if it comes down to it, will a small community be worth supporting?

Also I don't think they'll go for a monthly fee because of too much competition from free fps games out there.

Comments

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342

CCP is indeed excpetional making exceptional games.

The main point is that they are expanding EVE IP.

Also, Halo series made more than 1.000M $, it is a damn nice market to put feet in.

• JDGalisJDGalis Member UncommonPosts: 143

You bring up a few points, yes FPS crowds don't tend to 'stick around' however (gonna go on a limb here) -all- FPS games is just basically to kill another being plain and simple.  CCP hopes to kind of rewrite that with this PC and Console gaming intertwinemnet, because of the mechanics/content whatnot that'll affect both games. And hopefully brining a new batch of FPS'ers into the  Community.(reference Butterfly Effect here)

Monthly Fee? I dont find that likely happening either, but hell who knows we can only stick our fingers up our noses and wonder

Introducing the best signature ever!

[signature] Best Signature [/signature]

• CompwinnerCompwinner Member Posts: 34
    Originally posted by teiohFromSWG

What a bizarre demographic to be targeting. The console FPS crowd is GREAT to go after for HUGE initial sales, but they're not exactly known for sticking around with games for long periods of times.
    There are exceptions like Halo and GoW, but a lot of console fps game communities are very small even after a year.
    For the most part they are always after the latest and greatest fps coming out. I wonder if it comes down to it, will a small community be worth supporting?
    Also I don't think they'll go for a monthly fee because of too much competition from free fps games out there.

Erm, I think you will find the COD series has an unparalelled following, it's like the WoW of the FPS console world. People still are addicted to their 10th prestige characters and with a new version out more often than a WoW expansion nobody is going anywhere. I await DUST, but although not sci-fi genre, it will be competing with MW2 or the latest COD which sets a phenominally high bar.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Originally posted by teiohFromSWG

I don't know,i think you already mentioned Halo,but how about COD series?heck i remember MANY people were into the SOCOM series.

You touched on the longevity of these games,well i agree,but that IMO is based more around the design of it being a FPS,MMORPG's have more of a longevity design to them,FPSMMOS do not.Thes types of games rely on making those sales for the NEXT big hing,in these cases SOCOM 1/.2/3 HALO 1/2 COD 1/2/3/4....the design is really different.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.