Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Think of trying out the game for the First time

DarkShadow74DarkShadow74 Member UncommonPosts: 108

Hello,

I am bored out of my skull with WoW, I have played off and on since release and I am coming to that place where I am ready to walk away for good. I have been looking around the MMO world for a game to call home, but not sure where. I have played EQ, EQ2, MXO, SWG, VG, WOW, WAR, AoC, etc etc etc. But every where I go I keep hearing DAoC is and was the best. I have never step foot into DAoC, I was thinking about doing the 14day trial, but would it be a mistake at this point? I would be a total noob there and the game is been going on for so long. Is there any really population on any server? Because if I am going to play along I might as well be playing Oblivion agian. Just want some input before I download.

Comments

• JulianDracosJulianDracos Member UncommonPosts: 1,528

Well unlike other games, DAOC tells you exactly how many are on. If you login to Devon there are around 1900 people on. Typical evenings during eastern prime time are 2200. Once the merger is completed in a few weeks, should be around 3000 or so.

Not sure how EQ currently plays. Many aspects of the game are the same as EQ was 8 years ago. You have slash commands for things. You hit 'r' to reply to tells. You loose XP when you die. There is a penalty during rez sickness.

There is a tutorial that takes you through the first 10 levels or so. It is much more like contemporary mmorpgs for the tutorial. Lots of quest grinding. After that, you either quest grind solo or group up and do dungeon crawls. You can always go into the battlegrounds which will give you RvR experience before hitting 50.

Not sure what there is to loose with a 14 day free trial.

• BrixonBrixon Member UncommonPosts: 259

Your about 6 years too late.

• StormbowStormbow Member UncommonPosts: 201

If you're trying out the game for the first time, you'll probably want to play Midgard then.  It's the easiest to kick everything's arse with.  Once you get the hang of things, go to Hibernia or Albion and become a real player, using real characters that require real attention, not the one-button-wonder crap that is Midgard.  Mid shaman spams aoe damage over time, valkyries spam aoe heals on everything near them, bonedancers click the attack button to send their god-like pets off to kill yet another victim.  /yawn

I'd have to agree though, you're getting into the game 6 years too late.  2001-2003 was prime.  The only thing left in DAoC now are 'leet doods' and otherwise rude, inconsiderate, and otherwise unfriendly players.  Do not be suprised to see your /reg chat questions go unanswered, or to be answered with rude comments.  Finding groups at low levels will likely be tough.

Don't take our word for it though.  14 days can't kill you.  And with the lastest release, I think you get access to all the expansions free.  (I know my bot account got Darkness Rising and Labyrinth of the Minotaur free.  SOOOOOOO happy I did not buy them for it when I activated the bot account for the first time ever last month!!!!111oneoneeleven!)