Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Nasty Letter from Rubies of Eventide

hooptyhoopty Member UncommonPosts: 788

From the Rubies of Eventide

Rubies of Eventide is offline until further notice. There have been many questions as to why we decided to shut the service down and what the on-going status of the game is. We thank all the staff and players who participated in RoE over the years, so the following items should be taken at face value.

* Personal Attacks: The owners and management of Rubies have no intention of supporting a game where they are attacked on an on-going basis by various groups. It's one thing to support a game, both financially and emotionally, when you feel as though you are doing something good for the player base; however when morale is brought to such a low level by continued libel and slander there is no incentive to continue.

* Financial Concerns: We appreciate all of the donations we received, but it's not enough for the game to be self-sustaining and without any real personal incentives to make further investments we have decided that the game should go offline. All gentry patrons have been refunded a prorated amount. There is an on-going notion that some players are entitled to have us (including volunteers) subsidize their entertainment for the privilage of having them play. This will never happen as long as there is a continued campaign against the management. Rubies of Eventide was never meant to be a money-making endeavor in the last few years and we are no longer willing to fund this project in this current environment.

* Ability to Police: There are a number of people we just don't want playing the game and it's too difficult to police the game to make sure they don't have access. Once we ban someone, they don't have enough respect for their fellow players to stay banned. Constantly policing the server for these players has become too much of a burden for us to wish to continue.

* Hacking: There has been on-going hacking at the web server and game level. Materials from this website, the game servers, as well as chat logs from other related websites have been passed on the FBI and hopefully this investigation will conclude by bringing the hacker(s) to justice.

In the end, none of these issues effect the owners or management. It's the players who are truley victims and for that we are sorry that a small percentage of bad players and bitter former volunteers needed to ruin the game for everyone who enjoyed it. Maybe, in the end, they cared more about their personal interest in the game then the player community.

Will you be selling the game?

If there is serious interest from a company we feel can sustain the game, yes, we will consider a sale. We have no interest in selling the game to any current or former member(s) of the community at any price. This is a personal decision and we simply will not entertain it.

Can I run my own personal server?

No. There will be no personal server licensing offered. If a personal server is found we will notify your internet service provider and have your access removed in addition to possibly pursuing all applicable legal penalties.

Thank you to all the staff and players. We hope you will understand.                       www.cyberwar.net/

I would say some people ruffle there feathers...

Some people rob you at gun point..Others will rob you at "Ball Point Pen"

Comments

• whackedgsgwwhackedgsgw Member Posts: 25

It is truely a shame to see it come to this, personally I thought ROE was a good little game which was fun to pass time with, however it has become more of a annoyance of recent with the community put quite frankly going to shit, not the developers fault of course in fact they done whatever they could to help, it is just a shame to see it all end up like this, hopefully something can be salvaged out of it but I guess we just gotta sit back and see.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

I see this as a fair response and action taken by the developer,sorry to hear it all failed.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• OckhamOckham Member Posts: 110

People complaining in a disrespectful and hateful way over something that is free...

And they say that we haven't become an entitlement society?

• haggus71haggus71 Member Posts: 254
    Originally posted by Ockham

People complaining in a disrespectful and hateful way over something that is free...

Who is this "they" you speak of?

• OckhamOckham Member Posts: 110
    Originally posted by haggus71

Originally posted by Ockham

Who is this "they" you speak of?

Really?  You're seriously asking that?  Or are you just trying to be difficult?

Do some people have to treat casual communications like they're in Biology class, dissecting everything right down to the molecular level?

• beast1333beast1333 Member Posts: 7

I'm sure the 50 people that played it are devastated.