Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

will a core i-7 run up the power bill

SwoogieSwoogie Member UncommonPosts: 399

Im looking into one but how is the power bill going to be affected?

Comments

• Gweed0Gweed0 Member UncommonPosts: 108

Everything I've read has said it has an effecient power draw. You can't expect it to be as cheap as your dual core your running or whatever it is but it won't punch the electric bill in the face for $50... Unless your gaming on it all day everyday lol

• CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,412

The Core i7 like the Phenoms automatically goes into an undervolted state while in idle. This means it will consume less power during idle then the Core2 line. Considering computers are in an idle state most of the time, it should consume less power. However, power draw is mostly dependant on how well you planned your system in addition to what power savings features your system has.

• havok527havok527 Member Posts: 80

It shouldn't have a noticeable effect on your power bill...

• DefectDefect Member Posts: 246

No processor is going to make a difference in your Power Bill. lol.

• toddzetoddze Member UncommonPosts: 2,150

I have not noticed an increase in my electric bill. And my I7 is OC'ed.

If you have a processor that draws that much power to where you notice it on an electric bill, I think you have went completly nuts wanting something that powerfull. Especially for an MMO where you dont even really need it.

Edit but it would be cool in a nerdy way to say "ya my new comp increased my electric bill by 10%"

Waiting for:EQ-Next, ArcheAge (not so much anymore)
    Now Playing: N/A
    Worst MMO: FFXIV
    Favorite MMO: FFXI

Originally posted by Defect

A larger processor can certainly increase your electric bill, especially if you play quite often to the point where it won't run on a power saving mode. Off category if people are replacing their old proc. with a new I7 they are more than likely to do a totally new build with a new case, power supply, etc. I personally saw a $30 raise in my electric bill once i built my new pc over my old pc.

• SwoogieSwoogie Member UncommonPosts: 399
    Originally posted by Gweed0

Originally posted by Defect

A larger processor can certainly increase your electric bill, especially if you play quite often to the point where it won't run on a power saving mode. Off category if people are replacing their old proc. with a new I7 they are more than likely to do a totally new build with a new case, power supply, etc. I personally saw a $30 raise in my electric bill once i built my new pc over my old pc.

Thats exactly what I was looking for thanks. If its only going to be around $30 max, then im fine with that becuase I am so busy that i wont be playing much.

• WootNationWootNation Member Posts: 244

People actually care for such shit?

Come on.... $30 can't hurt you THAT much?

• mz3r2tmz3r2t Member Posts: 31

Ha, you know times are tough when people are worried about differences a proc makes on the power bill!

Originally posted by mz3r2t

Ha, you know times are tough when people are worried about differences a proc makes on the power bill!

HAHA so true! But it is a good question, most people dont even think a pc uses that much power but i can almost promise if i keptmie off for a month it'll prolly save me 40-50 bucks lol