Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Atlantica vs Runes of magic

DarksixDarksix Member UncommonPosts: 140

I am going to dowload a ftp game tonight and I was wondering which game is better...Atlantica or Runes of magic?  Can anyone tell me who has played both....which one they think is better...and also..does either one use point and click to move around..I hate that type of movement...thanks in advance to any responses.

(PC Specs)
AMD Phenom II 965 3.4 Quad
8GB G-skill Ripjaw 1600mhz
Nvidia Geforce GTX 470 1280mb
Windows 7 64 bit

Comments

• GoobGoob Member Posts: 398

Atlantica is far more original than Runes of Magic, but it does have point-and-click movement (you can use wsad tho). It has more depth. It also has more foreign players, and it is a bit buggy. You control a team of guys and combat is something like final fantasy (turn-based). Its actually a lot more fun than it may sound.

Runes of Magic is a quite polished for a FTP game. It's very much like playing World of Warcraft but a bit "cheaper". Great game, just less original.

I would base your decision upon whether you want something more cookie-cutter fun or whether you want something with a bit more thinking. Atlantica's combat is far different than RoM.

FYI I have played both and I liked RoM better.

• DefectDefect Member Posts: 246

I agree with this, except I found Runes of Magic graphics to be better than WoW's. So in this sense, it did not feel "cheaper" , but actually better.

• todayisbluetodayisblue Member Posts: 60

also worth noting, while atlantica is click-to-move it also has that auto-move feature. hit a button and it'll take you where you need to go automatically. ^_^ 

• seventy7lseventy7l Member Posts: 112

Well depends strategetic team on team fights where you hire mercenaries to expand on your party combos with final fantasy style or other turn based games vs.dual classing with houses.

I have liked both but depends on which you prefer i m not going to sway you the way i think is best.Atlantica is very unique but runes of magic gives you a nice feel of the same but still different.

Edit:Me like atlantica best :D i love all the weapon styles.

Also runes of magic is getting a big update next month!

Like pong i keep bouncing back and forth between games.

• BloodaxesBloodaxes Member EpicPosts: 4,662

Yeah in september new race and zones,quests will try it again when next patch is out.

• GoobGoob Member Posts: 398
    Originally posted by Defect

I agree with this, except I found Runes of Magic graphics to be better than WoW's. So in this sense, it did not feel "cheaper" , but actually better.

Graphic-wise, yes RoM may look a bit more detailed than WoW or you may find you like the art style better. However, overall, the cheaper-than-WoW sensation comes just from the fact that the game was not made with the Blizzard-Polish that you can feel in their games.

I use the term polish as it used to be used. Its too bad now that its abused and every dev company slaps it on to their development cycle to buy more time. Game polish is the overall smoothness of the game and the crispness of how everything works together and moves. RoM is probably the best in regards to the FTP market but we can't compare it on the same level as WoW. Actually, few MMO's can or ever will.

• NetzokoNetzoko Member Posts: 1,271

RoM is basically the same thing as EQ, EQ2, WoW, LOTR... etc

Atlantica is totally original as the posters above said, so its really up to you which type of game you want. Atlantica is very in-depth. RoM is pretty shallow, but still polished.

-------------------------

• reimarureimaru Member Posts: 228

it's hard to compare the two since both of them have different styles of gameplay, content.

it's easy to compare between RoM and WoW, and also AO and SotNW

• ScyrisScyris Member UncommonPosts: 149

Personally, the fact RoM is just a cheap wow clone would be the sole reason i'd review it badly, MMO devs need to stop trying to copy wow and do something at least a tad orignal like Atlantica Online. Out of all the recent mmo's I noticed a disturbing treand of trying to copy wow. and I'm personally sick of it. I tried Aion, its just a prettier wow ripoff with a korean grind to it, Fallen earth just sucks in almost everyway, its one of those games with a great concept but piss poor execution. Champions Online.. I haven't played this one yet but I liked City of Heroes/villians, so if the problems I heard about in it aren't TOO bad it'll prob be the one out of the 3 I purchaise, Though I gotta admit, Fallen Earth is prob the most unique mmorpg thats been around for a long time.

• shhwolf17shhwolf17 Member Posts: 146

personally, rom is like a poor version of wow, but the dual-class is pretty nifty, if you wait until september, then you would be able to try out the elf and the 2 new classes...

however i prefer atlantica over rom because of the unique gameplay..it reminds me of final fantasy and several other games and is pretty challenging at times so i think youll like atlantica much better

• YauchyYauchy Member UncommonPosts: 298

Both very good F2Ps, but i'd give Atlantica the nod...definitely something unique & interesting to have coming back - on occasion if not consistently :)

• lm8darklm8dark Member Posts: 281

Wow. i like this thread. im an Atlantica player and i was thinking of trying out RoM coz i heard it was a great game. but i guess i'll just stick with AO. Starting to feel the grinding pain at 106.

• UnrealdjUnrealdj Member Posts: 24
    Originally posted by Scyris

Personally, the fact RoM is just a cheap wow clone would be the sole reason i'd review it badly, MMO devs need to stop trying to copy wow and do something at least a tad orignal like Atlantica Online. Out of all the recent mmo's I noticed a disturbing treand of trying to copy wow. and I'm personally sick of it. I tried Aion, its just a prettier wow ripoff with a korean grind to it, Fallen earth just sucks in almost everyway, its one of those games with a great concept but piss poor execution. Champions Online.. I haven't played this one yet but I liked City of Heroes/villians, so if the problems I heard about in it aren't TOO bad it'll prob be the one out of the 3 I purchaise, Though I gotta admit, Fallen Earth is prob the most unique mmorpg thats been around for a long time.

Exactly, word for exact ******* word is what I have said in my head and in a review on these forums so many times. Enough with the wow clones!! Dev's did this for almost 2 years straight with 360 games too, shooter after shooter all the same style, and now we're getting MMO after MMO all the same style! Nothing unique.

FFXI: Polished awesomely, Thinking game and the hardest one I have played MMO style.

WoW: Polished awesomely, But not my style due to it being a checkers brainless type fun. I play it off and on for kicks though.

AO: Not polished, just released so lacking content, however completely unique in terms of the MMO world and is also a Semi thinking MMO, and it does have the potential to be a hard thinking game based on what kind of boss's or NM's they add in the future. I see good things from this game. This is a very awesome and original game. If you could picture FF10 or 9 or 8 but put it online then make it so you control up to 9 characters you would have AO (without the georgous cgi cutscenes however :(. )

Just about every other MMO: 0/10 for cloning WoW, but what can you do, they got WoW's engine to build them, and if not it certainly seems like they did.

Kingdom Under Fire II: The next Unique MMO to be released and EXTREMELY based on thinking, it is also MMORTS while it really didnt need it to be more unique this will add an interesting touch but unfortunatly we won't be playing this until 2010. For anyone that ends up looking at this one Do NOT relate it to kuf:circle of doom, it will be like KUF: Heroes and KUF: Crusaders but MMO. however that fits in.

Ironically KUF II is being made in Korea like AO. It seems everyone except the asian developers have been getting things wrong now a days. Woohoo for korea and japan developers ^_^. (Sadly I'm american wahhh)

• elit3gam3relit3gam3r Member Posts: 186
    Originally posted by lm8dark

Wow. i like this thread. im an Atlantica player and i was thinking of trying out RoM coz i heard it was a great game. but i guess i'll just stick with AO. Starting to feel the grinding pain at 106.

the only thing that i dont like on this one is that i am very too early to my next quest... i need to level up more just to do that quest.. it means grinding again... *Sight

Luminary: Rise of the GoonZu player

this is the problem with new mmos nowadays, they have no originality, take another example those MMOFPS... they just copy it from Counterstrike (team based gameplay, weapons, maps and even the avatar skins), and there's one stupid slogan from one of the CS clone games "Counter Stkes back" i mean WTF was that? an obvious copy of a very popular mod game turned stand alone fps

when can these developers learn that copying a popular game won't make them popular or even rich

• NetzokoNetzoko Member Posts: 1,271

Atlantica is as original as they come.

-------------------------

• shhwolf17shhwolf17 Member Posts: 146
    Originally posted by lm8dark

Jeez even though I like AO much better than ROM, i haven't played AO enough to pass level 20! LOL...hows the late game though despite its grind? *curious as the cat can be....* 

• SkuzSkuz Member UncommonPosts: 1,018

Atlantica & RoM are very different, RoM is a WoW clone in it's very early stages only, as you progress it changes quite a lot but it's big downfall is the sheer amount of grind at endgame, the end game content is....pretty much non-existant, the 1-50 game is quite nice & enjoyable however.

Atlantica is a truly original MMO game though it borrows it's combat formula from old single player japanese console RPG games it expands on it a whole hell of a lot, Atlanticas downfall, for me, was the story was stretched so very thinly over the games 110 levels, by 65 I was bored of it & the game was not engaging or compelling enough to grind through it to 100+.

AO has about the best player versus player match up system I've seen though, but it works mostly because of the combat system.

So Overall I'd say RoM = endgame boring & grindy & AO = too boring in the middle.

• TyrrhonTyrrhon Member Posts: 412

AO is much better executed and polished and managed than RoM but it is quite simple game at core and not your usual MMO.

RoM is free WoW, until you get to endgame and you see below the thin polish. It is not worth attaching yourself too but the fact that you can compare F2P to WoW at all is accomplishment.

Also AO has worthy PvP.

• JGMIIIJGMIII Member Posts: 1,282

RoM is just a generic MMO while Atlantica is actually a breath of fresh air in the MMO genre.

Turn based combat in Atlantica> everything Rom has to offer.

Playing: EvE, Ryzom

wow alot of votes for AO... but the sad part is..even if the game is original, some copy cat games are the ones becoming popular because of their good marketing strategies and some orginal concept games are left behind gathering dust...which is really depressing

• Calintz333Calintz333 Member UncommonPosts: 1,193

I think in the long run RoM is a much better overall gaming experience. Simply based on Cash shop, and overall grind. However Atlantica is much more original. So If you don't mind a generic game that is quite sold tried and tested RoM is a good choice. The grind is very limited, you can reach max level really quickly, and cash shop although bad is no where near as bad as Atlantica.

If you want a change of pace however, something original, and different. With an entirely different style of game play than all mmorpg out there id say go with Atlantica. 

• FkinglinuxFkinglinux Member Posts: 156
    Originally posted by Calintz333

I think in the long run RoM is a much better overall gaming experience. Simply based on Cash shop, and overall grind. However Atlantica is much more original. So If you don't mind a generic game that is quite sold tried and tested RoM is a good choice. The grind is very limited, you can reach max level really quickly, and cash shop although bad is no where near as bad as Atlantica.

If you want a change of pace however, something original, and different. With an entirely different style of game play than all mmorpg out there id say go with Atlantica. 

The RoM cash shop model is perhaps one of the most greedy I've ever seen, except a few where it took cash shop to repair your items.

• MokweeMokwee Member Posts: 286

Try the new D&D Unlimited perhaps? It isn't open to the public yet but it's headstart program end Sunday. Maybe go just get that client tonight, try it tomorrow. It is only just coming out of P2P now F2P with a cash shop. Personally, Id like to go get right in the mix of a new server they just opened up and check out why this game went F2P in the first place. Might be a diamond in the rough. www.ddo.com

• lm8darklm8dark Member Posts: 281
    Originally posted by Mokwee

Try the new D&D Unlimited perhaps? It isn't open to the public yet but it's headstart program end Sunday. Maybe go just get that client tonight, try it tomorrow. It is only just coming out of P2P now F2P with a cash shop. Personally, Id like to go get right in the mix of a new server they just opened up and check out why this game went F2P in the first place. Might be a diamond in the rough. www.ddo.com

Hmmm.. so d&d is now free.? Im an avid Atlantica player willing to try out different stuffs. Dunnow what to try next.. RoM or D&D. hmmm.,...