Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is There a Decent Amount of Players?

JakeSimJakeSim Member RarePosts: 883

Hey, I'm just wondering before I buy the game if there are enough players on the servers to actually do something. I'm sure most of the players on there are all capped out. However, is there enough to keep the game alive and to literally actually do anything? If any of you know, about how many people are on a server (average).

Please come check out my stream. All the love is appreciated! 

TWITCH: @JakeSimTV

Comments

• MavadoKenyenMavadoKenyen Member Posts: 104

No there is not.

• AbrahmmAbrahmm Member Posts: 2,448
    Originally posted by Tidel

Hey, I'm just wondering before I buy the game if there are enough players on the servers to actually do something. I'm sure most of the players on there are all capped out. However, is there enough to keep the game alive and to literally actually do anything? If any of you know, about how many people are on a server (average).

You don't want an average as that would be really low. They recently gave free transfers to a lot of players, so you have a situation where 2-3 servers have an ok population, and then the other 20ish servers are completely empty. COMPLETELY.

Tried: LotR, CoH, AoC, WAR, Jumpgate Classic
    Played: SWG, Guild Wars, WoW
    Playing: Eve Online, Counter-strike
    Loved: Star Wars Galaxies
    Waiting for: Earthrise, Guild Wars 2, anything sandbox.

• JakeSimJakeSim Member RarePosts: 883
    Originally posted by Abrahmm

You don't want an average as that would be really low. They recently gave free transfers to a lot of players, so you have a situation where 2-3 servers have an ok population, and then the other 20ish servers are completely empty. COMPLETELY.

So, if there's a "main" server that everyone transfers to, if there is, would you say the population is low, medium, or high?

So, if there's a "main" server that everyone transfers to, if there is, would you say the population is low, medium, or high?

I don't play anymore because I think the game sucks but from what I read on forums the populated servers are medium. It isn't anywhere near what the populations were back in the glory days but those "main" servers are by no means empty.

I don't play anymore because I think the game sucks but from what I read on forums the populated servers are medium. It isn't anywhere near what the populations were back in the glory days but those "main" servers are by no means empty.

Sounds good, thanks for the insight man.

One more question if you don't mind though, is the population good enough to keep the game alive?

One more question if you don't mind though, is the population good enough to keep the game alive?

Well, the game has been living on this dim population for quite a while. They are able to keep it alive by having the Trading Card Game going, and they seem to use the game as a "training grounds" for their developers. If the game has been able to stay alive this long on such a low population, I don't see population causing it to close down anytime soon, but SW:TOR is around the corner and I think that will cause SWG to shut down pretty quick.

Well, the game has been living on this dim population for quite a while. They are able to keep it alive by having the Trading Card Game going, and they seem to use the game as a "training grounds" for their developers. If the game has been able to stay alive this long on such a low population, I don't see population causing it to close down anytime soon, but SW:TOR is around the corner and I think that will cause SWG to shut down pretty quick.

Sounds good, as for SW:TOR, I will definitely be leaving for that, haha. I just feel like playing this for something to do in my spare time honestly. :D

Anyhow, thanks man.

• Wharg0ulWharg0ul Member Posts: 4,183

Honestly, I don't think TOR will shut down SWG. They are totally different games.

If you're going to get into SWG at all....here's what you need to know:

There are THREE servers with decent populations....each with their own "flavor" and community:

Bria - the original server from Beta...still a good population. Lots of PVE and PVP, although a lot of smack-talking kiddies. Harsh world here indeed.

Bloodfin- The unofficial PVP server. Lot of fun to be had in the GCW, probaly the least jedi population.

Starsider - Heavily populated now....lag and crashes are not unheard of as a result. Seems a LOT of people transferred there. Used to be the unofficial RP server....now it's a good balance of PVP and PVE, with a more mature community than Bria. LOTS and LOTS of space PVP and events.

Choose one of these, and as long as you can put up with SOE and the game's flaws in general, you'll probably have a pretty good time and find a good guild in no time.

Good luck.

• MazinMazin Member Posts: 640

I predict classic servers shortly after TOR's release :P 

• MazinMazin Member Posts: 640
    Originally posted by Wharg0ul

Honestly, I don't think TOR will shut down SWG. They are totally different games.
    If you're going to get into SWG at all....here's what you need to know:
    There are THREE servers with decent populations....each with their own "flavor" and community:
    Bria - the original server from Beta...still a good population. Lots of PVE and PVP, although a lot of smack-talking kiddies. Harsh world here indeed.
    Bloodfin- The unofficial PVP server. Lot of fun to be had in the GCW, probaly the least jedi population.
    Starsider - Heavily populated now....lag and crashes are not unheard of as a result. Seems a LOT of people transferred there. Used to be the unofficial RP server....now it's a good balance of PVP and PVE, with a more mature community than Bria. LOTS and LOTS of space PVP and events.
    Choose one of these, and as long as you can put up with SOE and the game's flaws in general, you'll probably have a pretty good time and find a good guild in no time.

Good luck.

Actually I think Flurry is the 2nd largest server now behind Starsider

Originally posted by Mazin

That would be a wise business decision, which is why SOE will never do it.

Actually I think Flurry is the 2nd largest server now behind Starsider

huh, really?? Interesting....I never had a toon on Flurry, so I wouldn't know.

I don't play anymore, but every time they offer a free month to the vets, I hop on out of morbid curiosity. I tool around in space for a few days, craft some stuff...and remember why I don't play anymore...lol.

• Bob_BlawblawBob_Blawblaw Member Posts: 1,278

As much as that would be a no brainer as far as SOE is concerned. LucasArts won't allow it. I predict a sunset for SWG.

LA has SOE by the balls. They won't want ANY competition. Don't listen to the line they've been spewing about how 'we think there's room for both TOR and SWG'. That's an obvious lie. Even IF LA was ok with SWG still running (since they do get a piece of that tiny pie), there's no way EA will allow it (and yes, EA does have a say in this).

But I digress...

Starsider is the only server that's got a population that even comes close to Pre-CU levels. Prepare for lag though, these ol' servers weren't meant to handle a high population AND the Benny Hill NGE gameplay.

• KazaraKazara Member UncommonPosts: 1,086

The TCG is definitely not a reason most players remain subscribed, but is certainly brings in revenue due to the loot card lottery.

I do agree that SWG is a training ground for noobling devs, but it also houses the dead weight devs. $OE harvests the devs that show any ability/talent for other projects. $OE certainly doesn't put out the serious money to hire quality employees - just take a look at the current community relations mananger.  

Yeppers, TOR will definitely take its toll on the remaining SWG playerbase. I think there will be one server  left running for the Station Access pass subscribers and the few single game subscribers left. As soon as the support and playerbase declines further from that point I suspect that $OE will pull the plug.

• Vincen76Vincen76 Member Posts: 33

The population on a handfull of servers has the level of activity you would expect from healthy games.

Starsider is currently overpopulated and there are portions of the playerbase that has requested to be transfered off due to the lag that the mass of players cause.

Flurry is on 2nd place with approximately 60% of the population of Starsider, Chimaera, Farstar Ahazi, Bloodfin and Bria would be the ones to target for new players in my opinion since they have the population to support group dynamics, chosing one would be you need to consider the main timezones for these servers.

The have half the population of Starsider but that doesn't mean they are underpopulated. They are well rounded in terms of lag and population.

I may have forgotten one or two, but those are the main servers to shoot for. The remaining are unable to support group dynamics and end-game content due to lack of population.

Originally posted by Vincen76

The population on a handfull of servers has the level of activity you would expect from healthy games.
    Starsider is currently overpopulated and there are portions of the playerbase that has requested to be transfered off due to the lag that the mass of players cause.
    Flurry is on 2nd place with approximately 60% of the population of Starsider, Chimaera, Farstar Ahazi, Bloodfin and Bria would be the ones to target for new players in my opinion since they have the population to support group dynamics, chosing one would be you need to consider the main timezones for these servers.
    The have half the population of Starsider but that doesn't mean they are underpopulated. They are well rounded in terms of lag and population.
    I may have forgotten one or two, but those are the main servers to shoot for. The remaining are unable to support group dynamics and end-game content due to lack of population.

gah, no....Ahazi is dead. Just a few bitter hold outs who refuse to transfer off.

http://swg.activeframe.de/bb-std/tp-en/main.12.html

Ahazi is ranked as number 8 in terms of weekly pvp server kills. They are far from dead. 31k pvp kills last week, Starsider has 88k and 3 times the population. Ahazi has more weekly kills per officer than Starsider.

• ValeranValeran Member Posts: 925

Ahazi is ranked as number 8 in terms of weekly pvp server kills. They are far from dead. 31k pvp kills last week, Starsider has 88k and 3 times the population. Ahazi has more weekly kills per officer than Starsider.

I find it funny that the fanbois use activeframe stats when is supports their claims but completely dismisses it when it supports their opposite views...

--------
    Ten Golden Rules Of Videogame Fanboyism

"SOE has probably united more gamers in hatred than Blizzard has subs"...daelnor

yeah, 'cause 3 people in Eisley during primetime is "far from dead". You'll be lucky to find more than one Entertainer on the whole fucking server.

There's what...Thrax and his little group of RP'ers left?? I think even Saramae has transferred off by now. Everyone went to Starsider long ago, right after the DJO moved over.

I don't base my findings off from stats on some web page...I base them off logging in and looking around.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Originally posted by templarga

I tried 2 different servers (Radiant was the main one, forgot the other - Eclipse maybe) during my free month of return recently and no, there is no population. I even spent time traveling from one major city area to another to FIND the people....there were none. The entire time I was there I probably saw 50 different people per server.
    I would ask questions about changes since last I played, not answer. I would look for groups, not an answer.
    See that's the thing stats and numbers don't tell you. Sure, there might be people playing but it doesn't mean they are friendly, helpful or socialable. A good example is DAOC - I wonder how many players you see listed on the server's are buffbots and other type of non-people/friendly/grouping/helpful players.
    SWG may have people playing it but I couldn't find them.

Radiant is pretty much dead and Eclipse has very few players. You can't reliably use dead servers as a way to measure the population in SWG, since most transfered off the dead servers.

• BullseyeArc1BullseyeArc1 Member UncommonPosts: 410

I tried 2 different servers (Radiant was the main one, forgot the other - Eclipse maybe) during my free month of return recently and no, there is no population. I even spent time traveling from one major city area to another to FIND the people....there were none. The entire time I was there I probably saw 50 different people per server.
    I would ask questions about changes since last I played, not answer. I would look for groups, not an answer.
    See that's the thing stats and numbers don't tell you. Sure, there might be people playing but it doesn't mean they are friendly, helpful or socialable. A good example is DAOC - I wonder how many players you see listed on the server's are buffbots and other type of non-people/friendly/grouping/helpful players.
    SWG may have people playing it but I couldn't find them.

Radiant is pretty much dead and Eclipse has very few players. You can't reliably use dead servers as a way to measure the population in SWG, since most transfered off the dead servers.

Oh I am SO sorry to use the server I began on have played on (off and on) since launch as an example. What am I supposed to do? Give SOE more money to transfer my character to another server when it reality they should merge servers for the players?

Yeah that makes a lot of sense.

So in other words, SWG is dead and there is no population except on one server. There is that better?

I agree that SOE should have merged the servers, this would have been much better than the transfer system.    They created active servers and dead servers.    Why?   I guess they thought the remaining people just couldnt take another big change.    Go to the officer salute to see what servers are active with pvp if thats what your looking for.   

Originally posted by BullseyeArc1

I agree that SOE should have merged the servers, this would have been much better than the transfer system.    They created active servers and dead servers.    Why?   I guess they thought the remaining people just couldnt take another big change.    Go to the officer salute to see what servers are active with pvp if thats what your looking for.   

For reference, the officer salute is used to compile a bunch of statistics, the best way to go would be here:

http://swg.activeframe.de

Historic data about the pvp population is available there as well. May help players to form their own opinion.