Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Anyone else found that the Farcry 2 single player is boring?

outfctrloutfctrl Member UncommonPosts: 3,619

I picked it up the other day for like 20.00 USD at Best Buy thinking it would be a fun game.  So I played it for a few hours and got extremely bored.  BUT

When I played the multiplayer, it was fun.  The original Farcry was a blast to play, but this one, well, doesnt compare at all.

Am I doing something wrong in this game?  I just dont see any fun in the single player.

Whoops, this needs to be in the PC section, sorry.

Comments

• ZorvanZorvan Member CommonPosts: 8,912

I agree with you, Outfcntrl.

I managed to slog my way to the first little base where you get the choice to start working for the guy, but I couldn't go any further. Not because I was stuck or anything, but because I just didn't want to bother. The game just felt "empty" to me. They tried too hard to make a "sandbox", to the point where there's nothing BUT sand in the box. There just wasn't any real fun factor. I can't even fully describe it or pin it down, but it just didn't have any "soul" to the game. Luckily, I bought it in a Target bargain bin for $20, so I made the money back off Craigslist.

Edit: playing with the map editor was fun, though.

• outfctrloutfctrl Member UncommonPosts: 3,619

Wow, didnt try the map editor.  Thanks, Will try that later.  Did you like the MP part? 

• ZorvanZorvan Member CommonPosts: 8,912

Yeah, the multiplayer part was fine. i enjoyed it for a bit. But when it comes to singleplayer games, I expect a good singleplayer game to be included, so I don't hang on to the bad ones even if the multi is good ( cause the multi usually wears thin after a short while too ).

But then again, I couldn't stand Grand Theft Auto IV either ( either single or multi ), so maybe my game taste are changing ( or I'm just weird lol ).

• JosherJosher Member Posts: 2,818

Just snagged it off of Steam over the weekend for $19.99.  Afer reading reviews I wasn't paying any more than that.  Its only a sequel in name only, but hopefully everyone knew that=)  After a few hours I'm still intrigued.  Its worth the $20 so far.  The graphics are phenominal and I gotta give them props for the overall 1st person view.  Besdies COD4 and maybe Crysis, no FPS really puts you behind the character's eyes this well.  The movement of the guns and all the animation is great when jumping & running, healing or switching views.  I really appreciate the effort.  Due to stupid console constraints(lack of buttons), leaning and a true prone position would've helped.  I really don't understand how any FPS doesn't have leaning.  It just feels so damn limited not being able to peak around corners;)    Its pretty darn immersive otherwise.  No UI besides the heathlbar in the corner.  Almost wish they could've found a way to eliminate that as well just using vision imparing effects or bloodied up arms.   The map system is also very appropriate.   You can tell they just didn't finish certain things, like how the inventory/upgrade system works or the lousy voice acting.  Why do some developers still insist on hiring family members, friends or allowing the programmers or artists behind a mic?  Seriously, none of these guys sound like pros at all.  VO talent  is NOT expensive guys.

Its been a while since I played Stalker CS, so I had to get back into an open go wherever you want style of FPS.  The fast respawns of the check points is rather goofball.  A few in-game hours should go by before any reinforcements show up.   I didn't get that, "Can't STOP PLAYING" feeling, but I wasn't expecting to.  We'll see how interesting it stays after 5 or 6 hrs.  So far so good though.

I just came from beating TimeShift, since that was on sale on Steam last week and totally forgot it existed.  I didn't think it would be as good as it was.  Very surprising.  Some of the best weapons I've seen in a while and awesome firefights.  Going from something so linear like that to FarCry2 is a big shift=)

• orlacorlac Member Posts: 549

Big time boring, and the colors were awful. Too bad as the first one was a blast...

I know, it really doesnt make sense.  The first one was outstanding, so I assumed this one would be better.  Thats what I get when I assume (ass-u-me)   ;-)

• BaronJuJuBaronJuJu Member UncommonPosts: 1,832

Yeah I was really disappointed with it. Such a freakin' snoozer of a game.

"If we don't attack them, they will attack us first. So we'd better retaliate before they have a chance to strike"

• CablespiderCablespider Member UncommonPosts: 272

A major yawnfest.

• DreamionDreamion Member UncommonPosts: 287

Only played it once then i uninstalled it. Once you play MMO''s singel-player games never feel the same.

• TeimanTeiman Member Posts: 1,319

The sandbox feel is destroyed by the fact everyone attacks you.   Maybe you look like a alien or a dinosaur, so everyone "agro" on you? 

Also, I don't like how the maps seems designed by the really small memory limitations of a console. Farcry 1 have more and bigger open areas. 

• EkibiogamiEkibiogami Member UncommonPosts: 2,154

Yeah. Wasent mutch fun :(

And I paid full price for it :(

If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude; greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.
    —Samuel Adams

• dougmysticeydougmysticey Member Posts: 1,176

Yeah, I agree, it is boring and did nothing for me after about half hour into playing. I did not like the fact that everyone automatically attacks you on the road either.

I got it on the cheap during a fire sales on Steam so I did not feel to bad about it.

• ReklawReklaw Member UncommonPosts: 6,495

Nope, to answer your question.

But......I didn't get into the game thinking about it with a FPS mindset, after reading up on the game before I bought I went in with a Action Sim mindset.

Made the game very immersive and awesome. As a mindset of what to expect from a game makes allot of difference, I am even thinking of trying to see most upcomming MMORPG's more like online action game, keeps my expectations more in line, cause I expect allot more from MMORPG then what they are delivering, there for if perhaps looking at them as action online games makes the difference.

Farcry2 as a FPS it's a mediocre game, for a Action Sim it is a awesome game to me as it's pretty releastic where graphics do help allot as the game looks amazing, Crysis and Cod do not  touch that lvl yet, thought both those games are played by me with a FPS mindset and they are fun that way.

• TdogSkalTdogSkal Member UncommonPosts: 1,244

I love Far Cry 2.  I jump in and play anytime I am bored with my current MMO (EQ1).

Sooner or Later

• NailezsNailezs Member Posts: 4

i have to agree that this game is one of the most boring FPS's i've ever played. Farcry 1 was awesome, but this Farcry 2 crap is just that, crap. the graphics were nice, and the idea was a good idea, but executed poorly imo. it seems to me that they tried to make an open ended fps, and they failed uterlly and the game was boring as hell. i played thru 15+ ours of this game hoping that against all odds i would finally hit a fun point where i wanted to play the game, but no such thing happened.

• JosherJosher Member Posts: 2,818

You have to go into it like you did with Stalker.  Patience.  Lots of running(driving) from place to place with quick bursts of action.  Unforgiving difficulty when played on hard.  Realistic gun physics.  No shotguns that have the range of rifles;)  Its an immersive game when you're in the right mindset.  Graphics really are top notch, oudoing Crysis at times.  Sunsets and sunrises have NEVER been done this well.   Night time is also pretty realistic.  Can hardly see in front of your face, since there are no flashlights in Africa apparently=) 

Its the anti linear shooter and like all of them, they have their problems.  Stalker came close and FC2 does a few things better a few things worse.   At least developers are trying.  Someone will hit it out of the park sooner or later.

• DedthomDedthom Member Posts: 541

""But Coyote, you could learn! You only prefer keyboard and mouse because that's all you've ever known!" You might say right before you hug a rainforest and walk in sandals to your drum circle where you're trying to raise group consciousness of ladybugs or whatever it is you dirty goddamn hippies do when you're not busy smoking pot and smelling bad."
    Coyote's Howling: Death of the Computer

• jonrd463jonrd463 Member UncommonPosts: 607

It's way too repetitive, and Ubi didn't endear me with the continuously respawning checkpoints. If they'd at least stay dead until the next mission, I wouldn't have had a problem.

"You'll never win an argument with an idiot because he is too stupid to recognize his own defeat." ~Anonymous

• spankybusspankybus Member UncommonPosts: 1,367
    Originally posted by jonrd463

It's way too repetitive, and Ubi didn't endear me with the continuously respawning checkpoints. If they'd at least stay dead until the next mission, I wouldn't have had a problem.

/signed

Frank 'Spankybus' Mignone
    www.spankybus.com
    -3d Artist & Compositor
    -Writer
    -Professional Amature

• JackcoltJackcolt Member UncommonPosts: 2,170

Multiplayer was fun... except when it was released it war poorly designed along with bugged as hell. Cumbersome console interface. Whenever a ranked match was done you would be thrown of the server. The server browser didn't show ip or name. The auto match making system was a joke.

The game was fun though... especially with a friend. Place some IEDs on a car, have your friend drive it with you on the pasenger seat and blow the shit out of people is funny as hell.

Single player was decent enough in my opinion. Yes it's not sandbox at all due to every fucking one attacking you. But running around with a nade launcher causing havok is pretty funny. The explosions looked awesome ;)

• RaizeenRaizeen Member Posts: 622

making your own maps with the editor is fun its one of the best editors ive seen in a while to bad you cant make singleplayer missions just

• hogscraperhogscraper Member Posts: 322

I bought this game at a yard sale for 10 bucks and still felt ripped off, kinda. I only say kinda because I made the choice to stop giving it a chance. I made it to the first little town, made it through half of the mission and just didn't care enough to keep going. At the time I think I picked up Crysis and the Warhead expansion and played through those. The fun of those two games made me forget that I even had Farcry2 until I saw this thread. I have pretty low standards when it comes to what I can find as fun in a game and Farcry2 is one of the few games that really didn't offer me anything. The movement of the player, the annoying crap that always popped up, healing the malaria, fixing the car, way too much busy work and not even eye candy to pass the time and make it worth it. I have no desire to go to Africa because it is bleak and nothing but dead plants and dried up ground. Yes, they did an awesome job of making the place look real, but its not  a locale I want to experience. Definitely boring at every level. 

I know this is minor, but still it was a pain.  Those damn diamonds.  They are scattered everywhere.  Stop the car, get out, watch the locator, find the diamond, walk back to the car, get in and drive away.  5 seconds later, stop the car get out, rinse and repeat.

That got real old, fast.