Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I need a good gaming keyboard recommendation

BodeusBodeus Member Posts: 516

I bought a Saitek Eclipse 2 about 3 months ago and my 1,2,3 and W keys are already worn out. I need a recommendation for a good keyboard. I want ..

• Has to be backlit. I dont care what color.
  • does not have to have programable macro keys but Im not opposed to them.
  • needs to be sturdy
  • would like to spend less than 75$

Thanks for any suggestions

Comments

• Cyborg99Cyborg99 Member Posts: 576

Trolls = Hardcore
    Fanbois = Carebears

The only posts I read in threads are my own.

• Gweed0Gweed0 Member UncommonPosts: 108

I'd agree with the Logitech G15. I bought mine from best buy for 80 bucks and i love it

• Agricola1Agricola1 Member UncommonPosts: 4,977
    Originally posted by Bodeus

I bought a Saitek Eclipse 2 about 3 months ago and my 1,2,3 and W keys are already worn out. I need a recommendation for a good keyboard. I want ..

Has to be backlit. I dont care what color.
    does not have to have programable macro keys but Im not opposed to them.
    needs to be sturdy
    would like to spend less than 75$

Have a look in my thread here click , I myself use a merc stealth as in that thread. It is backlit with three different colours is very sturdy and has a seperate "gaming terrain" (an extra bit on the left) that has all the keys for FPS in one place in easy reach of your fingers.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience"

CS Lewis

• riceae02riceae02 Member UncommonPosts: 180

Nostromo and G15 combo FTW. Why mess around with anything else imo.

My back-up board is the Z-Board but I got the original G-15 and I've never had to go to the back-up. been through two Nostromos though LOL.

• CymTyrCymTyr Member Posts: 166

Personally I use a Razer Tarantula, but since you said it has to be backlit I recommend the Logitech G15.  At least you know you'll have a couple years' warranty on it if something happens (<3 Logitech)

• CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,412

The Saitek Eclipse line IMO is the best. However, sometimes with Saitek products you get a dud.

When it comes to outright sturdy products. Microsoft cannot be beat.

• havok527havok527 Member Posts: 80

The best gaming keyboard is probably the logitech g19, but it's 200 bucks.

Originally posted by havok527

The best gaming keyboard is probably the logitech g19, but it's 200 bucks.

Yeah that kayboard is AMAZING! You can watch youtube videos or just a random movie on the display while your playing games. I can't affrd one hough... Was hard pressed to spend 90 on my G15

The problem I have with Logitech mouses and keyboards is fragility and being hard to support through anti-hack software.

Originally posted by Cleffy

The problem I have with Logitech mouses and keyboards is fragility and being hard to support through anti-hack software.

The G15 is quite sturdy, key buttons have the rubber coating so they are soft, problem is when my hands sweat they slip off the buttons on occasion. Anti-hack software???

• grunt187grunt187 Member CommonPosts: 956

I love my Razer Lycosa, playing in the dark never felt so good

The following statement is false
    The previous statement is true

• cybertruckercybertrucker Member UncommonPosts: 1,117

Heres a link to the best backlit best overall gaming keyboard around.. IMHO and I have used alot of them...

http://www.steelseries.com/us/products/keyboards/merc_stealth/information

The configuration of the keyboard is just great puts all your controls under one hand and can be custom macrod as well

• skeaserskeaser Member RarePosts: 4,181
    Originally posted by Bodeus

Has to be backlit. I dont care what color.
    does not have to have programable macro keys but Im not opposed to them.
    needs to be sturdy
    would like to spend less than 75$

Weird. I'm using my Saitek Eclipse that I bought years ago and it's still working like a champ.

Sig so that badges don't eat my posts.

Originally posted by cybertrucker

Heres a link to the best backlit best overall gaming keyboard around.. IMHO and I have used alot of them...
    http://www.steelseries.com/us/products/keyboards/merc_stealth/information

The configuration of the keyboard is just great puts all your controls under one hand and can be custom macrod as well

I used to have an old Zboard but it was PS2 and they dont make the drivers for vista for it... Hence i upgraded to the G15. Does the merc stealth have premade macros you can download? I used to love that feature, just reorganize them a touch to my liking and good to go.

• MorgarenMorgaren Member UncommonPosts: 397

I use a Merc Stealth Zboard, they are awesome, mine is about two years old, and no problems at all yet, (other than the sticker I put on it is peeling up)

but the extra peice on the side makes all the difference.

• cybertruckercybertrucker Member UncommonPosts: 1,117

Yes they make them USB now.. both regular and stealth models with full vista support and yes popular game macros are available for download..

Like i said one of the best gaming keyboards around hands down and I have used many.

• Death1942Death1942 Member UncommonPosts: 2,587

heh i have never had that problem and my mouse and keyboard have had a few tumbles...

OP i would recommend a G15 or (i think) the razorware one, both have backlights and are pretty decent keyboards.  The G15 i have is very very solid for a keyboard.

MMO wish list:

-Changeable worlds
    -Solid non level based game
    -Sharks with lasers attached to their heads

My logitech death count is 2 Keyboards, 1 5.1 Surround Sound Speakers, 1 Mouse, and 1 Controller. The only logitech product I have owned that didn't break was a G5 mouse.

Logitech IMO is like Saitek. A 2nd tier peripheral dealer when compared to 1st tier and economic brands. Although its a good consumer brand, it really doesn't stack up against the durability of Microsoft's input devices. Every Logitech product line has another company that does it better.

My biggest problem with Logitech isn't really the durability. Its the software/firmware. If you play any game with anti-hack, logitech devices will be harder to clear and anti-hack is in the majority of online games. Other brands that use custom keybindings usually don't run into the same problem like a Belkin N52.

• JosexphJosexph Member Posts: 121
    Originally posted by grunt187

I love my Razer Lycosa, playing in the dark never felt so good

Have the exact one. But i have a problem with how flat everthing is on it, and i never use the ports in the back because there hard to find sometimes when i can just plug everthing in beside me.

My logitech death count is 2 Keyboards, 1 5.1 Surround Sound Speakers, 1 Mouse, and 1 Controller. The only logitech product I have owned that didn't break was a G5 mouse.
    Logitech IMO is like Saitek. A 2nd tier peripheral dealer when compared to 1st tier and economic brands. Although its a good consumer brand, it really doesn't stack up against the durability of Microsoft's input devices. Every Logitech product line has another company that does it better.
    My biggest problem with Logitech isn't really the durability. Its the software/firmware. If you play any game with anti-hack, logitech devices will be harder to clear and anti-hack is in the majority of online games. Other brands that use custom keybindings usually don't run into the same problem like a Belkin N52.

Sounds to me like someone has an anger issue lmao. I have a G15 that works fine, a G51 speaker set that works fine, a G7 mouse that i've thrown a few times and has survived Iraqi sand... I don't think i have ever had an issue with logitech which is why i stick with them.