Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

CAN YOU JUMP IN FFXIV???

OMGz does anyone know??????????

Comments

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

I kind of doubt it will,anyhow i have never seen jumping come of any use in games other than players goofing off with it.I  did notice in TCOS you could jump on a rock to avoid being attacked,i doubt if FFXIV  used jumping, it would be anything tactical like that.Even in TCOS it wasn't that great because for the most part the mobs would just run away after you jumped out of reach,so it wasn't like you could use it for a tactical advantage,developers havn't shown the ability to put that much thought into combat design yet.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• nob1enob1e Member Posts: 45

no jumping allowed. but you can walk on your hands.

• argos5argos5 Member UncommonPosts: 219

I agree with Wizardry. The FF-Online (whether its XI or XIV) games do not need "jumping". The only time I've seen jumping as any sort of necessity is to scale obstacles in order to hide or break Line-Of-Sight, which is often for PvP moreso than PvE. And the FF-Online games are very much PvE than anything. Plus, jumping is a luxury that a number of games don't care for if it doesn't contribute to their vision. I doubt anyone has complained in FF-Online so far that they need jumping as a necessity.

• cwegnercwegner Member Posts: 8

awwwwwwwwwwww wweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeuggggggghhhhhhhh hhhaaaaaaaaaaaa *jump*

• CavallCavall Member Posts: 272

The ability to jump and climb helps to add to the realism of a game; in FFXI many people complained that their walking was blocked by a slight bump on the ground or a fence that only reached their waist.

• EkibiogamiEkibiogami Member UncommonPosts: 2,154

Jumping is a pointless and annoying aspect to 90% of the games that have it. Good ridence to the stupid system.

If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude; greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.
    —Samuel Adams

• GameslaveGameslave Member Posts: 130

I concede to this argument. I can deal with not being able to jump as long as they can put in some kind of auto-step or auto-climb feature for any obstruction below the knees. No more getting stuck in grass, please. >.<

Abraxas [365]

• Cyborg99Cyborg99 Member Posts: 576

Pffttttttttttttt...wat a joke you can't jump lol devs must not know how to program it lolz.

Trolls = Hardcore
    Fanbois = Carebears

The only posts I read in threads are my own.

Originally posted by Gameslave

I concede to this argument. I can deal with not being able to jump as long as they can put in some kind of auto-step or auto-climb feature for any obstruction below the knees. No more getting stuck in grass, please. >.<

And either use solid walls or make those off-ramp "ledges" significantly taller...

Abraxas [365]

• 4Renziks4Renziks Member UncommonPosts: 390

If i may quote the mooninites, "Jumping is Useless"

playing: Dragon Age
    Waiting: for FF14, Mass Effect
    Want to try: Fallen Earth

• garretthgarretth Member UncommonPosts: 343

I guess it depend on whether the devs want the game to be immersive or not. 

Jumping is part of being a mammal.  Think about it a sec.  :)  

I don't jump much in games...but sometimes I do for the sheer joy of it.  I also like to dance and use the emote system.  I usually play the game with my hubby and we enjoy lite-rp in games in line with the characters we play.  Yes, I have challenged him to jump over a fence...see who could jump farthest...etc. 

Pigs are mammals. Pigs cannot jump. They cannot even look up. True story. I don't think sloths can jump either. Their bodies aren't made for that kind of activity. Anyway...

When we ask for jumping it's assumed we expect to be able to leap around like frogs & fleas.

Can we at last have hopping??? That's all we really want. To hop. Just a little bunny hop.

I said a hip hop, hippie to the hippie, the hip, hip a hop, and you don't stop, a rock it to the bang bang boogie, say, up jump the boogie, to the rhythm of the boogie, the beat...

Abraxas [365]

Yes, pigs can jump, but not very high. Pigs might try to jump over something if they are either scared or guided by someone.

Mammals that can't jump:  include elephants, sloths, hippopotami and probably sea cows and various burrowing rodents. I think that only a few bats jump, for that matter.

So, most mammals can jump.  What's most important is that humanoid mammals can jump...and it allows for immersion in a game.

I'll admit that if the devs create a sloth-like humanoid, or elephant-like humanoid .. that I wouldn't want to jump in game at all...*grin*.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498

Jumping and climbing were actually quite fun and useful in DAOC, shame few other games have really gotten it right since then.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• BellarionBellarion Member Posts: 244

I agree , if a few strands of grass won't stop me mid walk/run then I don't need jumping.

WOOT
    www.eorzeapedia.com
    (Great FF14 source)

• WSIMikeWSIMike Member Posts: 5,564
    Originally posted by Wizardry

I kind of doubt it will,anyhow i have never seen jumping come of any use in games other than players goofing off with it.I  did notice in TCOS you could jump on a rock to avoid being attacked,i doubt if FFXIV  used jumping, it would be anything tactical like that.Even in TCOS it wasn't that great because for the most part the mobs would just run away after you jumped out of reach,so it wasn't like you could use it for a tactical advantage,developers havn't shown the ability to put that much thought into combat design yet.

You know.. to this day I've never felt jumping was "missing" in FFXI. So even if there isn't in XIV, I'm sure I won't miss it there, either.

"If you just step away for a sec you will clearly see all the pot holes in the road,
    and the cash shop selling asphalt..."
    - Mimzel on F2P/Cash Shops

• ZippyZippy Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,412

There is nothing that makes me want to log off as much as watching an ADD kiddie hopping along holding the jump key down.  I would be all for getting rid of the jump key if it means one less child.

• Sah-aumSah-aum Member Posts: 28

i dont think this is a question of if we can jump, but if we will be able to ride a stegosaurus?

• EkibiogamiEkibiogami Member UncommonPosts: 2,154
    Originally posted by garretth

Yes, pigs can jump, but not very high. Pigs might try to jump over something if they are either scared or guided by someone.

Mammals that can't jump:  include elephants, sloths, hippopotami and probably sea cows and various burrowing rodents. I think that only a few bats jump, for that matter.
    So, most mammals can jump.  What's most important is that humanoid mammals can jump...and it allows for immersion in a game.

If you wana go that rought Im fine with it. Id laugh my Butt off at all the whineing ingame because they can only jump a foot or so.

Amd Pigs really arnt jumping. its more of a leep. Forward momentem is needed.

If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude; greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.
    —Samuel Adams

• CavallCavall Member Posts: 272

White men can't jump.

• trepotrepo Member Posts: 119

FFXi was the most immersive MMO i played and jumping was not possible. IMO, it doesn't bring anything to a MMO except bugs, line of sight problems, exploits, calling a GM cause you're stuck etc.

trepo

• TarkovskyTarkovsky Member Posts: 18
    Originally posted by garretth

I guess it depend on whether the devs want the game to be immersive or not. 

Jumping is part of being a mammal.  Think about it a sec.  :)  

I don't jump much in games...but sometimes I do for the sheer joy of it.  I also like to dance and use the emote system.  I usually play the game with my hubby and we enjoy lite-rp in games in line with the characters we play.  Yes, I have challenged him to jump over a fence...see who could jump farthest...etc. 

Yes and as mammals we have hundreds of muscles constantly making micro adjustments when we jump, it's one of the most complex things a mammal can do, and it's going to look drastically different if say you land on a small rock, etc. Jumping in games always looks cheesy as shit, because it's one universal animation, where your character will get hung up on the object you're trying to jump over half the time, but the sprite plays out the same animation regardless, and you land awkwardly before the animation even stops.

I hope they don't add jumping into the game. It will probably looks silly.

Though the undead jump animation in WoW is pretty good looking :P

Currently playing : WoW, Dofus.
    Played: LotRO, FFXI, SWG, Guild Wars, Dofus, WoW.

Favorite: FFXI

• marinridermarinrider Member UncommonPosts: 1,556

I hate not being able to jump, it makes me feel grounded, and pulls me from the world, it doesnt truely give me that "3d" feeling...

I.E. Guild Wars.

• arthen999arthen999 Member Posts: 183

I know its should only be a minor thing but not being able to jump was one of things that put me off guild wars . If theres no jump in this game i definatly wont bother it would bug me from the start.