Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Noob starting out, few things to consider?

IronfungusIronfungus Member Posts: 519

So I'm starting out, and I want to play a Warrior, and a Samurai/Warrior later on, 'cause I love anything that wields Katanas. But I do have some questions...

1. Is there a "best city" to start out in? I was told to pick up a great axe ASAP as a warrior, so maybe there's a possibilty say, Windurst vendors, don't carry that. Just asking anyway.

2. The quest to become a Samurai probably isn't soloable at 30. What job-quests ARE soloable at 30?

3. As I am starting out fresh and don't know a soul, what's the best way to make money? Should I worry about professions/crafting right away, wait til 10~20, or not do it at all? 

Thanks!

Comments

• WolfenprideWolfenpride Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,988
    Originally posted by ironfungus

So I'm starting out, and I want to play a Warrior, and a Samurai/Warrior later on, 'cause I love anything that wields Katanas. But I do have some questions...

1. Is there a "best city" to start out in? I was told to pick up a great axe ASAP as a warrior, so maybe there's a possibilty say, Windurst vendors, don't carry that. Just asking anyway.
    2. The quest to become a Samurai probably isn't soloable at 30. What job-quests ARE soloable at 30?
    3. As I am starting out fresh and don't know a soul, what's the best way to make money? Should I worry about professions/crafting right away, wait til 10~20, or not do it at all? 

Thanks!

1. Not really, any city is fine i'd say, but it depends on what your interested in. Missions vary between each nation and also the guilds available. You can do a little research to see what kind of services each city has to offer and make your decision based of that i suppose. As for greataxe merchants their is one in Bastok Market's I believe, however only if the nation is ranked 1st or 2nd at the time.

2. I have no clue haven't gotten taht far :)

3. Make sure to have signet on at all times, collect stacks of 12 crystals and put those up for auction. I haven't had any luck making money off crafting thus far, in fact it kind of takes away from income, although fishing appears to be very profitable, stacks of Moat carp as a beginner sell very well. Repeatble/turn in quests over time add up to decent gil, beyond that just sell any good drops you manage to come across and don't need.

• nekrothingnekrothing Member Posts: 302

Thanks!

1. Bastok if you become a Hume or a Galka, Windurst if you become a Mithra or Tarutaru, and San d'Oria if you become an Elvaan. Reason why is because if you start off as one of those races, and pick your races home nation (lore-wise), you get a free level 1 ring that increases some of your stats. But other than getting a free level 1 ring that increase a few of your stats, there really is no reason to pick one nation over another, because there really is no "best" city to start out in.

2. Beastmaster, Dark Knight, Ranger, Bard, Summoner, Paladin. All of those are "technicaly" soloable by a level 30 job. The reason why I say "technically" is because a couple of them (Paladin and Summoner specifically) are going to be pretty hard still, but doable.

3. When you first start out, the best way to make money is to do quests for items, and then sell those items via auction house. I made my living off of doing quests for items (mostly for magic scrolls and stuff, like drain, blaze spikes, teleport scrolls, warp scroll, etc), and I was able to do this for a main source of income all the way to 75 on my alt character. I wouldn't recommend you start crafting right away though. It's really really expensive, and you probably won't see any profit in a craft until you get to about level ~50. Also, check out this page on the FFXI wiki...

http://wiki.ffxiclopedia.org/wiki/Farming

• SuplyndmndSuplyndmnd Member Posts: 553

Thanks!

What server are you on? Perhaps someone here can assist you.  I play on Bismarck and Pandemonium.  My main is on Pandy and could do a lot more.

EVE - Sharvala
    FFXI - Shazamalicious
    Guild Wars - Xavier Lucifer & Charlize the Necro
    "Ranged...stuck...tree...15 random words... suck... noob fanboy... I MAKE GUIDE!"

• snipergsniperg Member Posts: 863

Thanks!

1. Ok first of all there is no best city to begin with. Each has its advantages and disadvantages. Their main difference apart from the city storylines imo lies in what rewards you can choose when you trade the sigil points. Each city also has an Auction House where you can get a great axe even if the vendors don't have any. Warrior has the advantage that he can use most weapons in the game (although great axe and axe are his best), so you can make do with other weapons till you get the one you want :)

2. Been sometime since I have unlocked the job, but unlocking the SAM job solo at 30 isn't possilbe, so you'll need some help. Soloable job-quest are beastmaster, dark knight ,paladin, dancer, corsair, blue mage if memory serves. The others need a bit of help here and there.

3. Well to make money initially you can kill bees and crawlers make stacks and sell them at the AH. Personally I was making money also by selling copper ingots too (lighting crystal from the goblins + yagudo necklace from the yags).

A friend is not him who provides support during your failures.A friend is the one that cheers you during your successes.

• LexinLexin Member UncommonPosts: 701
    Originally posted by Suplyndmnd

Thanks!

What server are you on? Perhaps someone here can assist you.  I play on Bismarck and Pandemonium.  My main is on Pandy and could do a lot more.

You moved to Pandy Shaz? I'm back on Pandy again and staying never leaving again. Still same name?

• joufesjoufes Member Posts: 59

theres is no best nation...and to make money early farm crystals...thats what i did. but always save up and only get new gear every 5-6 levels or so if you can help it...its too expensive to keep regearing every 1-2 levels.

I can't understand why its so hard for people to READ and UNDERSTAND what they read.