Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Need a MMO and I have some specific requests.

KithcaKithca Member Posts: 118

OK, I'm looking for a MMO to burn some time playing.  Right now though, I'm at a loss as to what to get into.

I'm really looking for something that is a P2P.  I'd like to find something with a decent crafting system, open world, non-linear character development, and strong character customization is an absolute must.   I would really like to get into a game where I need to be social and group, but I want it to be easy to do; not a struggle to get involved with other players and of course I want a game with populated servers.  I don't mind if it requires time because I need to find something to do while my S/O works and is away traveling, but I don't need a game where I'm going to spend a week camping a spawn point for a named MoB.

PvP is nice but not a big must because I play EvE for my PvP fix.  I want something I can jump into, but still have some learning curve to to it.   Nothing that is big on being twitch based either as I have other online games I play if I crave that.  I want to avoid things that "feel" outdated; i.e. if it looks texture-ish and won't let me use 1680x1050 resolution then it's a no.

I don't mind going back to some of the games I've played in the past or something new, I'm just kinda at wit's end on what to try.  I have played the following:

2Moons, ACE Online, Atlantica Online, Battleground Europe: WWII Online, Champions Online, CitiesXL, City of Heroes, City of Villains, Drift City, Dungeon Runners, Dungeons & Dragons Online, Earth and Beyond, Ether Saga Online, EverQuest, EverQuest II, Exteel, Fiesta Online, Final Fantasy XI, Flyff, Free Realms, Hero Online, Istaria: Chronicles of the Gifted, Lineage 2, Lord of the Rings Online, Mabinogi, MapleStory, Myst Online: URU Live, Oz World, Parabellum, Perfect World International, Pirates of the Caribbean Online, PlanetSide, Runes of Magic, Ryzom, Second Life, Shadowbane, Shot Online, Star Wars Galaxies, Sword of the New World: Granada Espada, Tabula Rasa, The Realm Online, Vanguard: Saga of Heroes, Vendetta Online, Voyage Century, Wizard 101 and World of Warcraft

One of the games that I most certainly do not want to be playing again, without a doubt, is WoW.  Thanks for any suggestions, :D

Comments

• LusafurLusafur Member Posts: 52

Hey Buddy,when you go back 2 one of the games, post plz,i dont mind joining with someone

• Spadez88Spadez88 Member Posts: 88

Ok i would say Fallen earth. Only thing is i have looked into it and the graphics are ok good. they are decent but not top of the line. Heard its been havein some problums but its something to look into. Aion seems ok as well lots of PR so far. Lots of good reveiws.

• X-CASHX-CASH Member Posts: 8

What you're searching is the perfect game for casual/adult players... and i'm trying to find it too :)

I don't think it exists already... i think 'cause it will be not "addicting to the masses".

If you find it let us know :D

• KabaalKabaal Member UncommonPosts: 3,042

As far as the games you've listed goes for going back to is concerned then DDO might be worthwhile giving a try again. The game itself has improved leaps and bounds and is now rather good, it's just whether you can get used to their new pricing system now that it's going free to play. I know i'm finding it wierd to get my head around paying to access different bits of content and gear, i've also taken a bit of a dislike to their constant push to get people to spend money int he beta for the free version atm. If you can put up with/don't mind the way they're doing it then it's worth a look again.

Aion is another worthwhile trying out although it may not fit your style as it gets mostly PvP centric after about half way through the levels. It's looking like it will be a solid game though.

• KithcaKithca Member Posts: 118

Lusafur: I'm still looking.

Spadez88: I'm really preferring something that's gone gold already.

X-Cash: I don't think I'm looking for the perfect game, in fact EQ1 fit, once.  After having played it for 4 years, I don't think I can go back to it; tried a couple times.

Kabal: I was thinking about DDO; but one of the things that killed it for me before was the amount of instances.  That and I was not happy with how DnD turned out as an MMO because of that.  DnD is a tabletop game that I really hold dear and would really have wanted to see DDO turn out differently.  I am indeed tempted to give it another go sometime, but as an MMO, DnD seems too constricted. 

I have also been thinking possibly of trying Aion when it hits shelves, but it hasn't been a game that I've been watching.

• Zeppelin8Zeppelin8 Member Posts: 18

Sadly there is no such game.

AoC comes with great combat and good visuals, but fails in any other department (content, crafting, economy, pvp system, end game.......)

Vanguard Soh has great crafting. A huge world do explore. But combat is rather dull and there is only one pvp server which has almost 0 population. Population in pve servers is also almost non-existant, which is really a handicap for a mmorpg.

Eve is great for some out there, but if you don't like sci-fi and ship thing, then its obviously not for you. ( I consider the fact that you've been playing eve - just wanted to add some comment).

Eq2 kinda has it all, but it feels dull. Especially combat. I think it's the same story for all SOE games, combat is simply boring.

Guild Wars absolutely has nothing to offer other then pvp. Sad.

Warhammer is a mess, pvp is ok but the rest sucks hind tit.

Lotro has no pvp - pvmp doesn't count. But has ok visuals. I think you need to be a fan of tolkien to really enjoy it.

Daoc / EQ / Ultima Online are old.

These are the top MMO's on the market right now. I might have forgotten a few (There is no need to say anything about WoW).

Pirates of the Burning Sea is the only viable option for me right now. I'm so bored, I  can even consider a F2P Korean grind with some content and crafting. (If there is any other then Lineage 2).

If pvp isn't must then you can go for LoTRo or Vanguard SoH. Lotro is decent for any tolkien fan, Vanguard could have been great but it lacks population.

• MentalMidgitMentalMidgit Member Posts: 9

If you want a pretty good F2P Korean grinder, there is always Requiem:Bloodymare /www.playrequiem.com/

• X-CASHX-CASH Member Posts: 8
    Originally posted by Kithca

X-Cash: I don't think I'm looking for the perfect game, in fact EQ1 fit, once.  After having played it for 4 years, I don't think I can go back to it; tried a couple times.

I saw from your game list you started from old games, those games that created MMORPGs. Me too (I started with UO and played a lot of years).

Those games gave us freedom and were the first so every game was "new".

Today almost every game is similar because the playerbase is known. Old roleplayers are the minority. The true target is a lot of players, teens which need to demostrate themself within a game. People that sells items on eBay ;)

I saw a lot of games started as something "old school"... but they failed (horizon, throne of chaos, dark and light, vanguard). They failed for a lot of reasons. Some inettitude, some stupidity, some *SOE*... some lack of players.

I love to explore, to live in worlds. Today people loves to grind. Making houses and explore with friends seems outdated.

• Gabby-airGabby-air Member UncommonPosts: 3,440

Fallen earth releases before Aion, so i dno what you mean by being gold.

Originally posted by Gabby-air

Let me clarify:

"Other terms for the live version include: live master, live release, or live build. In some areas of software development the live release is referred to as a gold release; this seems to be confined mainly to game software."

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Software_release_life_cycle

Let me clarify:

"Other terms for the live version include: live master, live release, or live build. In some areas of software development the live release is referred to as a gold release; this seems to be confined mainly to game software."

I see, but both games are in closed beta and are going into open beta soon so ye your analogy of aion being gold and fallen earth not still confuses me. I'm not trying to attack you or anything just saying.

Let me clarify:

I see, but both games are in closed beta and are going into open beta soon so ye your analogy of aion being gold and fallen earth not still confuses me. I'm not trying to attack you or anything just saying.

Ah, OK, I see what you're saying; but I never said one had gone gold and the other one hadn't.  Spadez88 had suggested that I look at Fallen Earth and Aion and my response was, "I'm really preferring something that's gone gold already."  I know you're not trying to attack me, I apologize if I seemed snippy; it wasn't my intention. :(

haha nevermid me, i guess we both just misunderstood each other