Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Thinking of playing....

I have been looking for a new game to play for awhile now... Was wondering from other players' points of view what this game does well?? What are it's strengths? Weaknesses? It looks good from what I've seen in pictures and videos so far,, and it reminds me a lot of Everquest in style...How is the gameplay style?? Is it similar to Everquest? Also, would like some input on which server to join... Any tips would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks!

Comments

• NizurNizur Member CommonPosts: 1,417

VG's a good game. Here's a quick breakdown:

Strengths:
    - HUGE world
    - Fun classes
    - Great graphics (but need to be fine tuned in order to perform well)
    - PvE
    - Group quests

Weaknesses:
    - Small population
    - Small dev team
    - Still has some annoying bugs
    - Character animations/models can be a bit cheap looking
    - Major grind after lvl 50
    - PvP

I've never played EQ1, but I've heard from a lot of people that it does feel a lot like it. Gameplay is quite fun. I enjoyed my druid very much. In fact, it was the best druid class in any MMO I've tried.

Best server to join would either be Xeth or Seradon.

Current: None
    Played: WoW, CoX, SWG, LotRO, EVE, AoC, VG, CO, Ryzom, DF, WAR
    Tried: Lineage2, Dofus, EQ2, CoS, FE, UO, Wurm, Wakfu
    Future: The Repopulation, ArcheAge, Black Desert, EQN

• boojiboyboojiboy Member UncommonPosts: 1,553

Strengths and Weakness mean different things to different people, so some of the things I think are strengths, such as complex and in-depth classes and combat, will be viewed as a weakness to others.  So here it is:

Strengths:

• Huge, open world with no artificial barriers or instances
    • Incredible class diversification (to be good, you need to really know your class)
    • Gorgeous and diverse world.  Vanguard still beats most MMOs in graphics hands down.
    • Great community, many EQ1 vets and generally an older crowd.
    • Deep and interconect Lore throughout all three spheres (adventuring, crafting & diplomacy).
    • Stable population on Seradon and Xeth making grouping easy (however, high concentration at the high levels now).
    • Responsive and engaged Dev Team.  The listen, react, return PMs, log into game to chat etc.

Weaknesses:

• Hitching - This is a video memory issue and impacts different people differently.
    • As said before, small Dev Team.  They need more to accelezrate the release of new content.
    • Some of the remaining bugs are still very annoying (flying mount demount problem for example)
    • Patch issues.  Almost every patch is 2 steps forward and 1 back and it takes a day or two for the 'hot-fix' to arrive.
  • TheFranchiseTheFranchise Member Posts: 241

People know there are free trials for these kinds of games, right?  It's only 2gb.  Download it and give 'er a go.  Due a lot to the positive comments around here the past months, I did, and it's pretty good.  In ways it's "just another WoW clone," but in other ways it's not.  How can I put this... it's sort of like EQ2, but fun. 

People weren't kidding about the "don't judge it by screenshots," either.  The built-in screenshot-taker must dumb the pics down or something.  

• blackhawk432blackhawk432 Member UncommonPosts: 138
    Originally posted by boojiboy

Strengths and Weakness mean different things to different people, so some of the things I think are strengths, such as complex and in-depth classes and combat, will be viewed as a weakness to others.  So here it is:
    Strengths:

Huge, open world with no artificial barriers or instances
    Incredible class diversification (to be good, you need to really know your class)
    Gorgeous and diverse world.  Vanguard still beats most MMOs in graphics hands down.
    Great community, many EQ1 vets and generally an older crowd.
    Deep and interconect Lore throughout all three spheres (adventuring, crafting & diplomacy).
    Stable population on Seradon and Xeth making grouping easy (however, high concentration at the high levels now).
    Responsive and engaged Dev Team.  The listen, react, return PMs, log into game to chat etc.

Weaknesses:

Hitching - This is a video memory issue and impacts different people differently.
    As said before, small Dev Team.  They need more to accelezrate the release of new content.
    Some of the remaining bugs are still very annoying (flying mount demount problem for example)
    Patch issues.  Almost every patch is 2 steps forward and 1 back and it takes a day or two for the 'hot-fix' to arrive.

I found that to be hilarious.

• seeyouspacec0wboyseeyouspacec0wboy Member UncommonPosts: 714
    Originally posted by blackhawk432

Strengths:

Incredible class diversification (to be good, you need to really know your class)
    Gorgeous and diverse world.  Vanguard still beats most MMOs in graphics hands down.
    Deep and interconect Lore throughout all three spheres (adventuring, crafting & diplomacy).
    Stable population on Seradon and Xeth making grouping easy (however, high concentration at the high levels now).
    Responsive and engaged Dev Team.  The listen, react, return PMs, log into game to chat etc.

Weaknesses:

Hitching - This is a video memory issue and impacts different people differently.
    As said before, small Dev Team.  They need more to accelezrate the release of new content.
    Some of the remaining bugs are still very annoying (flying mount demount problem for example)
    Patch issues.  Almost every patch is 2 steps forward and 1 back and it takes a day or two for the 'hot-fix' to arrive.

First off, you live in Phoenix! Me too! Are you on myspace or anything?

Secondly, have you ever played VG on higher settings? Let alone logged in ever? It is gorgeous.

Originally posted by Scagweed22
    is it the graphics? the repetativenesses? i mean what is the point? you could be so much more productive in real life
    Real life brings repetition and pointlessness too. The only thing real life offers is Great graphics. Its kinda expensive too and way to dependent on the cash shop. Totally pay to win as well. No thank you. Ill stick to my games.

• blackhawk432blackhawk432 Member UncommonPosts: 138

Yar i did the whole free trial. Don't get me wrong the gameplay was good. I do not have a meatspace because im not a drone lol. But the community was dead, and the graphics are not really that amazing IMO.

Oh and just so Notorious BIG can have his say - "All I want is bitches big booty bitches."

• seeyouspacec0wboyseeyouspacec0wboy Member UncommonPosts: 714

I do not have a meatspace because im not a drone lol.

Oh come on you are posting on the forums at mmorpg.com. You dont have much room to be making fun of people who utilize myspace. Its great for social networking, keeping in touch with old/new friends, keeping up to date on local happenings, finding people around town with the same interests etc. Certainly more productive than spending your time here.

"Oh no sorry I dont have a myspace BUT you can get in contact with me via my alias blackhawk432 on the MMORPG.com forums. What is MMORPG? They are games where thousands of other people who love magic and elves can meet and go on adventures together. The mmorpg website is just a place for us to sit around and talk/argue about these games. But ya like I said myspace is dumb so get in contact with me via my mmorpg profile. kthanks"

Think about it kid.

Originally posted by Scagweed22
    is it the graphics? the repetativenesses? i mean what is the point? you could be so much more productive in real life
    Real life brings repetition and pointlessness too. The only thing real life offers is Great graphics. Its kinda expensive too and way to dependent on the cash shop. Totally pay to win as well. No thank you. Ill stick to my games.

• AzayzelAzayzel Member Posts: 15

Strengths:

Weaknesses:

I find your post to be idiotic.  Another troll that probably has never played the game.  Odd your on Vanguard forums and trying to bring the game down.

Please let me know what games out there beat this games graphics?  I've played almost every mmorpg on the market and none come close to this game.  You must have a cheap piece of crap vid card that can't run this game on max settings.  This is by far the best graphical game on the market right now.  And the view distance is unsurpassed.  Try doing a /setfog 10000, 400000, 125, 125, 128 and see what you think about the beauty of this game.  If you don't have a great computer and great GPU then I wouldn't suggest it.  You can just log out and log back in to the defaults.  The trees actually blow with the wind when it is windy out, there is snow and rain etc...... 

It boggles me to see people come on these forums and begrade any game, when it seems like they have never even entered the world.  How about you try the game before you laugh at someone's post.  and if you have, then your taste for graphics is definitely for a different type.  Maybe you like the cartoony or Anime graphics?  Because this is as close to realistic as any game out there.

On the other hand AION is looking like the graphics are really good, but it's a different kind of Art.  And same with Darkfall, that game actually has some good graphics (other then the trees) when you get in the game.

• jonrd463jonrd463 Member UncommonPosts: 607

Graphically speaking, there's a whole host of games out there that beat it. It suffers from the same "plastic/clay" look that EQ2 does. The artwork is good in places, but the overall graphics quality is dated. WoW has better graphics in some places.

Oh yeah, I DID say that, and I can already see the foam frothing up on the lips of some of you, feverishly clicking to rip me a new one, but before you do, consider this. WoW is MEANT to be cartoony. That's the graphical style of the game, and within that context, the artwork is phenomenal in places. Each expansion upped the ante with higher polycounts and higher texture resolutions. As a game that's meant to have a cartoony look, it's done with flair and pizzazz.

Aion is another one. Sure, the anime stylings may not be everyone's cup of tea, but as an anime game, it looks great. The water is some of the best I've ever seen in any game, MMO or otherwise. Too bad you can't swim.

And then there's Age of Conan, which is absolutely gorgeous. It's true, the graphics details take a slight dive after Tortage, but overall, I think it's the most detailed MMO in terms of scenery that's out.

LOTRO isn't a slouch either. I'd say it's graphics are a cross between cartoony and realistic. Cartoony in the color palette, but realistic in the way characters and scenery are represented. There's no exaggerated meatheads like the humans of WoW and WAR, for example, and the locales appear like one would expect them to if they were in the real world. There's just a little too much bright vibrance to everything, which is what I mean by cartoony in this case.

Now, the feelings about the above games are wide and varied. Some hate, some love. That's beside the point. Remove your general hatred of the game itself, and your personal taste in graphics, and let yourself see that it's perfectly fine to hate a game but appreciate one or two aspects.

Having said all this, I love Vanguard. It's a great game, warts and all. I'm just not so overcome by blind fanboyism to think the graphics are something special. They're nice, and they serve the game well. To say they're the best out there is a little bit disingenuous, though.

"You'll never win an argument with an idiot because he is too stupid to recognize his own defeat." ~Anonymous

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Originally posted by Azayzel

I find your post to be idiotic.  Another troll that probably has never played the game.  Odd your on Vanguard forums and trying to bring the game down.
    Please let me know what games out there beat this games graphics?  I've played almost every mmorpg on the market and none come close to this game.  You must have a cheap piece of crap vid card that can't run this game on max settings.  This is by far the best graphical game on the market right now.  And the view distance is unsurpassed.  Try doing a /setfog 10000, 400000, 125, 125, 128 and see what you think about the beauty of this game.  If you don't have a great computer and great GPU then I wouldn't suggest it.  You can just log out and log back in to the defaults.  The trees actually blow with the wind when it is windy out, there is snow and rain etc...... 
    It boggles me to see people come on these forums and begrade any game, when it seems like they have never even entered the world.  How about you try the game before you laugh at someone's post.  and if you have, then your taste for graphics is definitely for a different type.  Maybe you like the cartoony or Anime graphics?  Because this is as close to realistic as any game out there.
    On the other hand AION is looking like the graphics are really good, but it's a different kind of Art.  And same with Darkfall, that game actually has some good graphics (other then the trees) when you get in the game.

Well, AoC have better graphics, possibly Aion but I havn't tried it so I wouldn't know. Otherwise VG is really good. The art could be discussed because many don't like it but the artstyle and graphics have nothing to do with eachother, may people don't get that.

I by the way have a 280 GTX and run both VG and AoC with every slider maxed out.

Only odd thing with VGs graphics is that treetops rend to get blurry for some reason.

• boojiboyboojiboy Member UncommonPosts: 1,553

Objectively speaking, Vanguard does have great graphics.  Beyond that, it's a matter of taste as we've often discussed here.  I can appreciate what LotRo did with their graphics and objectively speaking those are very impressive too.  But personally, I don't like the LotRo style at all.

I do think EQ2 has got that plastic look.  But I don't think VG does if you can crank up the settings.  I think VG has a much more realistic look and the enviroments are incredibly diverse and realistic.

I like that last one because it's the head of Kotasoth in our guild hall :)  Shows the kind of detail available.

• allinanallinan Member Posts: 79

I've had Vanguard since launch and played off and on for a week or so at a time. The issues coupled with the lack of these issues being addressed caused my A.D.D. to kick in and go elsewhere for my MMO fix. I came back two weeks ago and was I ever pleasantly surprised! I now have a 20 cleric on Xeth and thoroughly enjoying the game.

/agree regarding the art, I like the artwork.

It's not Crysis, but...

www.youtube.com/watch

www.youtube.com/watch 

• YauchyYauchy Member UncommonPosts: 298

This is the first time I've seen actual quality analysis for someone wanting to try a new game *clap everyone*

I'll have to give the trial a try...though after EQ, SWG, then Planetside...SOE is waning on my patience <_<

• LeodiousLeodious Member UncommonPosts: 773

Vanguard does not have particularly impressive graphics. It does not even have Anti-aliasing. I can force my card to make the graphics better, and then it does have graphics on the level people are showing here, but that is NOT representative of the graphics as they are done in the code. The graphics are very, very much like EQII, jagged, and disjointed. The animations are not that good. It is obvious that the world is painted, and then the character is painted on top of it, like a green screen. Graphics don't make the game, though, and it is still playable and some might love it, but don't say that it has great graphics. You can force your card to fix the problems, but that doesn't make the graphics good. It means you have a good card. Don't lie to new people; they will be disappointed and then Vanguard will lose more people. I don't want that.

The core ideas are so very much better than the ideas in any other game. You can level up and participate in the world using more than just your killing power. The diplomacy system is amazing. The combat is engaging because the class fighting systems are unique, clever, and nearly flawlessly executed. You need to know how to fight to win. The enemies are actually difficult to solo much of the time. One monster is often as powerful as you are, given that you are the same level. The world is immense, and open. You can go anywhere and do just about anything. It is just huge and immersive. This is a great game for roleplaying.

It is an amazing game if you don't need top-of-the-line graphics. But please, stop trying to argue that it has them. That isn't a strength that this game has. What is the purpose of telling people something that they can tell isn't true? All you need to do is play to game to tell that even WoW has sharper models, more detailed textures, and smoother animations. (Of course, granting for different art styles.)

Originally posted by TheFranchise
    It's not Crysis, but...
    www.youtube.com/watch
    www.youtube.com/watch

I looked at these videos, and it does look amazing. This is an example of how it can look if you have a great video card and go in to .exe settings and force decent graphics options on it. without changing that, and forcing your card to fix what is missing from the engine itself, you could never have it look like this. This is what I mean when I say that people are propagandizing potential players. They don't all have cards that are able to do this. If they don't, or don't know how, they are going to be disappointed.

"There are two great powers, and they've been fighting since time began. Every advance in human life, every scrap of knowledge and wisdom and decency we have has been torn by one side from the teeth of the other. Every little increase in human freedom has been fought over ferociously between those who want us to know more and be wiser and stronger, and those who want us to obey and be humble and submit."

— John Parry, to his son Will; "The Subtle Knife," by Phillip Pullman

That youtube guy's info says he cranked up AA but doesn't mention anything else.  I'd pm him to confirm, but eh.