Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

twitter

gothagotha Member UncommonPosts: 1,074

http://twitter.com/MortalBeta

does not look to hunky doory server wise.  lets hope for the best though

Comments

• vaylhavaylha Member Posts: 75
    Originally posted by gotha

Early beta, what do you expect?

I can't believe how many people on this board have NEVER been in a real beta. If you can even run the client be glad. I have seen worse 

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593
    Originally posted by vaylha

I can't believe how many people on this board have NEVER been in a real beta. If you can even run the client be glad. I have seen worse 

No, that is alpha testing you are talking about. Beta testing are usually done when such fundamental things like "starting the client" has been tested and more advanced features are to be tested.

• joshejoshe Member Posts: 379

Originally posted by Yamota

No, that is alpha testing you are talking about. Beta testing are usually done when such fundamental things like "starting the client" has been tested and more advanced features are to be tested.

it can be as well gamma, delta, even omega phase.
    Or just test phase 2342.

It's now in external "beta" tests, nothing more, nothing less.

Alpha ended in dec 2008.

btw. testing in laboratory environment all things is something completely different from giving the content to test for couple thousands people playing simultaneously.

--
    /thread

Remember, your advantage lies in your opponent's weakness (J)

Originally posted by joshe

Or just test phase 2342.

Alpha ended in dec 2008.

btw. testing in laboratory environment all things is something completely different from giving the content to test for couple thousands people playing simultaneously.

Not sure what you are talking about but I am walking about alpha and beta testing of software and what things are tested at which phase. Things like making sure the client starts up are what you generally test in alpha testing and not beta which is targetting more advanced test cases. 

I dont know what gamma, delta and 2342 test phases are so I cant comment on those.

• vaylhavaylha Member Posts: 75

Or just test phase 2342.

Alpha ended in dec 2008.

Absolutely correct.

In fact Yamota your post just proves my point about people not knowing what an actual beta is.

"Beta" testing that you and most everyone seems to be used to would have been called gamma several years ago and still is in many professional software companies. The game world especially MMORPG's have bastardized the term.

Bottom line: who cares. The game will release when it does and not before so you can call the stages whatever you want to. That won't change a thing.

• randomtrandomt Member UncommonPosts: 1,220

So far these guys are pretty much on par with say.. the roma victor guy, or say, adventurine, or other small time companies with big ideas who cant get very far with them.

We'll see.

• Cyborg99Cyborg99 Member Posts: 576

I saw a couple vids of mo beta and the game looks great so I hope they iron all the fix out.

Trolls = Hardcore
    Fanbois = Carebears

The only posts I read in threads are my own.

• DAS1337DAS1337 Member UncommonPosts: 2,610

Let's just assume that you are correct.  And?  Your point?

There are still several months left in external beta testing and they have managed to allow in almost the entire A & B blocks into the server.  They've made several very large updates and are fixing issues every single day.  All the while, managing to communicate their progress to the community in a professional manner.  It's a breath of fresh air.  They are doing what they said they will be doing.  Whether it's what you call 'alpha' or not.  We can call it Ass-phase.  What does it matter?  It doesn't.  You're just complaining to see the words you've just typed.  That's pretty much it.

Or just test phase 2342.

Alpha ended in dec 2008.

Absolutely correct.

In fact Yamota your post just proves my point about people not knowing what an actual beta is.

"Beta" testing that you and most everyone seems to be used to would have been called gamma several years ago and still is in many professional software companies. The game world especially MMORPG's have bastardized the term.

Bottom line: who cares. The game will release when it does and not before so you can call the stages whatever you want to. That won't change a thing.

haha, Im a software developer and I am very aware of what a beta and alpha stage is in the testing proccess. I dont know if MMORPGs have a special definition of it but alpha testing is internal testing to make sure that the basic functions work and is usually the first major phase. This is where you are testing things like if the client/server even starts up.

Beta testing is the second major step in the testing phase and is when you make the software available to a greater audience outside the development team and is used to iron out the rest of the bugs. If your client/server dont even start up at this stage that is indictive of an alpha testing not been properly executed.

Now this is what alpha and testing usually means in the development of software and is not directly related to Mortal Online and I am only commenting on your statement that people not knowing what a "real" beta is where in fact it is you who dont know what it is.

Originally posted by DAS1337

Let's just assume that you are correct.  And?  Your point?

There are still several months left in external beta testing and they have managed to allow in almost the entire A & B blocks into the server.  They've made several very large updates and are fixing issues every single day.  All the while, managing to communicate their progress to the community in a professional manner.  It's a breath of fresh air.  They are doing what they said they will be doing.  Whether it's what you call 'alpha' or not.  We can call it Ass-phase.  What does it matter?  It doesn't.  You're just complaining to see the words you've just typed.  That's pretty much it.

My point is that he comes of lecturing us what a "real" beta test is where in fact it is he who doesn't know the term and what it usually means in a software development proccess.

My comment is not directed towards the Mortal Online Beta, which seems to be going pretty much as planned, but rather his assine comment on what a "real" beta test phase is.

• local93bclocal93bc Member Posts: 353

Wow ! we have a web site for twits now. must have a big user base

This world is messed up

• gothagotha Member UncommonPosts: 1,074

When a game is in an alpha stage or in a beta stage seems to be very subjective.   Seems also you can tell a lot by when a company considers their game alpha or beta ready.

As for MO.  The devs did make a good point.  They are testing servers strains right now and are purposely stressing and crashing it on purpse.  They also said they had it up 9 hours with 1700 people on it.  So should handle well hopefully in the end.