Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Thoughts on Vanguard shutting down.

MargulisMargulis Member CommonPosts: 1,614

Just was interested to hear people's opinions on whether they think this game will get shut down in the next year or so.  The development team is already paper thin and it seems over time they continue to pull people from it.  Also SOE has shown over the last month that they will shut down a game.  Personally I'm kind of about 50/50 regarding whether I think they will shut it down.  What do you all think?

Comments

• NizurNizur Member CommonPosts: 1,417

It seems kind of likely, but it would be a shame if did, imo.

Current: None
    Played: WoW, CoX, SWG, LotRO, EVE, AoC, VG, CO, Ryzom, DF, WAR
    Tried: Lineage2, Dofus, EQ2, CoS, FE, UO, Wurm, Wakfu
    Future: The Repopulation, ArcheAge, Black Desert, EQN

• talismen351talismen351 Member Posts: 1,124
    Originally posted by Nizur

It seems kind of likely, but it would be a shame if did, imo.

I agree. Not trolling, I have played the game, but something about it just didn't hold my interest. But it does seem to be the MMO sony doesn't care much for. It could be a great game if they would put more development on it...and perhaps a bit more advertizing. But as it is SOE pushes EQ and SWG more than anything...

• billynomatesbillynomates Member Posts: 163

I would be pissed at SOE if they did shut it down.What they should do is sell the game to a dev company that can give it the attention it deserves.

They wont do that though because they know it will effect the EQ2 numbers and EQ1. I can't see it shuting down in the near future though,so their is no point even talking about it.

• ElsaboltsElsabolts Member RarePosts: 3,476

Lets say that making money is the bottom line here. They have a solid game here now and it may be the best mmo out there compared to most others. A new expansion and relaunch if nothing else would generate alot of box sales and if the expansion is done right how much could it cost compared to what it will intake. Even the Bean Counters will not frown that much. Seems like a good idea to me but im not making the decesion.

" Life Liberty and the Pursuit of Those Who  Would Threaten It "
                                            MAGA
  • KrayzjoelKrayzjoel Member Posts: 906

I never want a game to shut down unless there isnt enough support for it. Ive heard of alot of improvements going on. They really need to readvertise the game get some new game boxes out on the market ;)  That may help.

Played : WOW, LOTRO, COH/COV, EQ2, SWG, and WAR.
    Playing EVE Online and AOC.
    Wtg for SW:TOR and WOD

• morpinmorpin Member Posts: 360

I dont see that happening in the near future.  It is a niche game, but it is a solid niche game with loyal players. 

• veritas_Xveritas_X Member Posts: 393

I would imagine that SOE will shut down SWG before they shut down VG.  That game goes through lead producers like most people go through underwear (the latest just resigned), and TOR will further erode the player base.

VG has some unique features that no other game has, and the small size of the dev team probably makes it more profitable, not less.

• arctarusarctarus Member UncommonPosts: 2,581

If the news about them not even having a 3d programmer (?) is correct, than im afraid it may happen...

Really hate to see a seemless world gone down like that, but they really need to do something unique so make more players interested in it and when soe see more players joining they MAY put some effort to advertise for VG...

So to me, the ball is really on the Devs side...

RIP Orc Choppa

• morpinmorpin Member Posts: 360
    Originally posted by arctarus

If the news about them not even having a 3d programmer (?) is correct, than im afraid it may happen...
    Really hate to see a seemless world gone down like that, but they really need to do something unique so make more players interested in it and when soe see more players joining they MAY put some effort to advertise for VG...
    So to me, the ball is really on the Devs side...

I am not sure where this "news' comes from.   I know this month alone there where four developers posting on the forums:

Ikik - http://forums.station.sony.com/vg/user/profile.m?user_id=44724

Jansan - http://forums.station.sony.com/vg/user/profile.m?user_id=32590

Tiraslee - http://forums.station.sony.com/vg/user/profile.m?user_id=16832

and of course Silius.

These are the developers that are allowed to post, so the project may have more.  LOL - I am a developer and my company is very very careful about me communicating with the clients.

• Superman0XSuperman0X Member RarePosts: 2,292

I would say that it is highly unlikely that Vangaurd will be shut down any time soon. However, I do think that there is a high probobility that SOE may change its business model to include microtransactions. There is also an outside chance that they might consider porting it to the PS3.

Sony is revamping how it does business to increase profitabillity, and I would exect to see them keep doing this, until they get the optimul balance.

• John.A.ZoidJohn.A.Zoid Member Posts: 1,531

Make a Vanguard TCG to keep it alive

• Gammit100Gammit100 Member UncommonPosts: 439

Planetside will fall first, and then Vanguard will within a year later.  That's my prediction.

MMO games played or tested: EQ, DAoC, Archlord, Auto Assault, CoH, CoV, EQ2, EVE, Guild Wars, Hellgate: London, Linneage II, LOTRO, MxO, Planetside, SWG, Sword of the New World, Tabula Rasa, Vanguard, WWIIOL, WOW, Age of Conan

• elockeelocke Member UncommonPosts: 4,335

All depends on the playerbase. I wonder why SOE hasn't decided to just make games like MxO, Vanguard and Planetside Free to play. Oh well. Bad games gotta die at some point to make room for Hopefully better ones. Although SOE has lately been on the bottom of the mmorpg ladder. They really need to shift their design philosophy or something. So many newer games coming out in the next year completely drowning anything SOE is doing. Could be a good thing. Competition usually is.

• HoobleyHoobley Member Posts: 421
    Originally posted by elocke

Bad games gotta die at some point to make room for Hopefully better ones

This is true, but sadly it's not true of Vanguard which is actually a very good game.

The frustration with SOE is incredible, if only they'd throw some resources at it they could easily have a massive money making machine on their hands.

• JGMIIIJGMIII Member Posts: 1,282

While Vanguard isn't my type of game I still think it gets enough support by its loyal fans to keep it afloat, even if they may need to merge servers.

With a small dev team they can still release bug fixes and small content patches here and there, like new armor or a quest chain and maybe a dungeon here and there.

No real reason to close it down tbh.

Playing: EvE, Ryzom

• TruethTrueth Member Posts: 287

Just a matter of time. Less than 12 months. Bye bye vangaurd.

• JGMIIIJGMIII Member Posts: 1,282
    Originally posted by Trueth

Dude can I borrow your crystal ball? 

Seriously one shitty MMO like Matrix closes down (that had like 1-2k players at best) and you think a game like vanguard is going to close down because you dont like the game?

How many subs does Vanguard Have? 30k, 50k? maybe even 75k? Even if its around 30k the game wont die anytime soon.

It's still making cash.

Playing: EvE, Ryzom

• NovaKayneNovaKayne Member Posts: 743

Brefore Canguard goes away they may do a server consolidation to one PvE and one PvP server.  Right now there is enough of a player base for them to have 2 PvE servers. 

Should they lose more subs I would assume they would drop one of the PvE servers before shutting it down completely.  Does not make sense IMO to shut it down now.  MxO NEVER had the subs that Vanguard had or continues to have so, it makes sense that they shut it down.

I also feel that SWTOR will pull any subs from SWG that SWG currently has.  SWG will go first, then Planetside, then Vanguard.  Still, I do not see them removing anything until:

A) TOR comes out and kills SWG.

B) THey release either DCUO or The Agency

Once those 2 things happen VG:SOH may become a dinosaur that did not make the cut.

Say hello, To the things you've left behind. They are more a part of your life now that you can't touch them.

• boojiboyboojiboy Member UncommonPosts: 1,553

It won't get shut down.  Solid game, solid player base (small, but loyal), good plans in place for more content.  Got to be a money maker for SoE, so purely based on the economics of it, it wouldn't make any sense to shut down.

• boojiboyboojiboy Member UncommonPosts: 1,553
    Originally posted by Trueth

Heh, missed your post the first time.  I usually look for it for the amusement value. 

• ZippyZippy Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,412

I can't imagine them shuting it down.  Why not just continue with thr strategy they have used the last 2 years of just letting vanguard wither and die as it starves to death without any funding?   While they have no desire to fund the game it serves a purpose in bolstering the station pass.  With 10k subs they still might be making a profit with the skelton crew they have.

• SnarlingWolfSnarlingWolf Member Posts: 2,697

Well if it does shut down just go to Asheron's Call, about to hit it's 10th anniversary and no plans of it going anywhere. It's also well suited to the types of players who would enjoy Vanguard.

• TorakTorak Member Posts: 4,905

When was the last big patch for this game? Just wondering. I haven't any news on this game in awhile.

I would think Planetside will bite it before Vanguard....but with 3 fantasy based MMO's it's pretty easy to see the weakest link in that chain.

But you never know, SOE generally doesn't shut games down. Matrix was pretty much the first and they let that one ride for a loooong time. Unless they are really serious about slimming down, I don't see anything happening to VG. It's more likely they will consolidate what few servers they have until they get to one.

• ZippyZippy Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,412
    Originally posted by Torak

When was the last big patch for this game? Just wondering. I haven't any news on this game in awhile.

From a content perspective the last big patch was April 2007 when they added RI, NN and Heg.  More content was added in the 2 month period between February 2007 and April 2007 by far then has been added the last 2.5 years in total.  Since then almost no new content has been added.  But post Sigil the biggest additions have been APW (12/07), the Griffon questline (3/08), and the re-release of PoTA with level increase(6/09).

To give you an idea how much (or little) new content SOE has added to Vanguard in over 2 years I will list it all for you. Its about as much as a normal game adds in 1-2 months.

1. Lvl 12 quest line in Ksvari gulch

2. Raid Dungeon and Overland raid mobs

3. Griffon questline

4. More overland raid mobs

5.  IoD

6. Reworked faction adding faction mounts and faction gear.

7. BoD weapon questline

8. SoD Daily Quests

9. PoTA dungoen along with new lvl increase to 55

• CereoCereo Member Posts: 551
    Originally posted by Zippy

Originally posted by Torak

From a content perspective the last big patch was April 2007 when they added RI, NN and Heg.  More content was added in the 2 month period between February 2007 and April 2007 by far then has been added the last 2.5 years in total.  Since then almost no new content has been added.  But post Sigil the biggest additions have been APW, the Griffon questline, and the re-release of PoTA.

Kind of missed Isle of Dawn there buddy... kind of an important miss. And APW is a huge, awesome raid and the Griffon questline was great. And PoTA was an awesome dungeon that needed fixed, its a very good addition. Not saying the improvements were massive over time, but plenty has happened. And fishing, new mounts, all kinds of smaller things.