Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Trial?

RakujiRakuji Member UncommonPosts: 144

Is there a way to try the game out before you purchase anything?

Kick to the Face.

Comments

• DimensionalDimensional Member Posts: 79

Unfortunately no, it seems you have to weigh what the game is and if it suits you or not.

• morphomorpho Member Posts: 51

The game just came out really... I mean with the kinda crummy launch at EU and now with the new launch on NA...

Trials usually don't start until a half year from launch to 1 year after launch. Why do people always ask for a trial for a MMO right when it comes out? it is retarded and it would be bad for business in the long run to have a trial at the beginning.

• natuxatunatuxatu Member UncommonPosts: 1,364

Uh maybe there is no trial because it's not very good? Just throwing it out as a possibility.. it could be amazing.. i guess...  A lot of MMOs came out with trials right off the bat... Darkfall isn't a hugely popular game as far as players go... it just seems like a) bad practice or b) they don't want to do it because it sucks right now. *shrug*

• morphomorpho Member Posts: 51

WoW didn't have a trial right away... They had buddy keys but not trials. You still had to know someone who bought it.

Aion probably wont have trials right off the back either

• MaughannMaughann Member Posts: 139

If there was a Darkfall trial...it would be found guilty of crimes against gaming and be sentenced to death.

• DarthRaidenDarthRaiden Member UncommonPosts: 4,333

Trial is a tool for a company if the company thinks they have trouble with population numbers. Aventurine obviously is satisfied with the numbers.

I dont see them offer trials anytime soon..

-----MY-TERMS-OF-USE--------------------------------------------------
    $OE - eternal enemy of online gaming
    -We finally WON !!!! 2011 $OE accepted that they have been fired 2005 by the playerbase and closed down ridiculous NGE !!

"There was suppression of speech and all kinds of things between disturbing and fascistic." Raph Koster (parted $OE)

• osamarosamar Member UncommonPosts: 54
    Originally posted by morpho

WoW didn't have a trial right away... They had buddy keys but not trials. You still had to know someone who bought it.
    Aion probably wont have trials right off the back either

WoW has had some trials DVDs in printed magazines, at least in Spain.

Actually, it was a joke.  You know what those are.

You can't expect people to believe that your posts are actually serious....can you?

Originally posted by Maughann

Actually, it was a joke.  You know what those are.
    You can't expect people to believe that your posts are actually serious....can you?

So you joking and fooling around and then you tell me i cant be taken serious..lol dude ..education was propably wasted on you.

Write serious then you be taken as such, keep your jokes to your friends ..if you approach these board you have to provide information.

-We finally WON !!!! 2011 $OE accepted that they have been fired 2005 by the playerbase and closed down ridiculous NGE !!

"There was suppression of speech and all kinds of things between disturbing and fascistic." Raph Koster (parted $OE)

So I need to provide factual information, right?

OK...I'll see if I can fit it in around all of your spin and flaming.

As it happens, opinion is valid here also, and my first post, joke or otherwise does stand as my opinion of this shambles.  Now, stop quetioning other peoples relevence to this mess and look to your own.

As it happens, opinion is valid here also, and my first post, joke or otherwise does stand as my opinion of this shambles.  Now, stop quetioning other peoples relevence to this mess and look to your own.

Lol you think you genious..if it wasn't a joke it was an opinion ..you cant get away so easy dude ..keep joking to yourself or your friends. You misused these topic to flame and troll the OP and the game..the OP dont asked for your jokes it was specific a question about a trial it was not a question ..how is the game ..mmkay ?

Originally posted by zymurgeist

Originally posted by DarthRaiden

Trial is a tool for a company if the company thinks they have trouble with population numbers. Aventurine obviously is satisfied with the numbers.

They cannot possibly be happy with their miniscule subscription numbers and the fact that they are advertising to try to get more subscribers, on this very site, proves it. I doubt they have the server capacity, much less the necessary account adminstration facilities, to host a trial.

But still they don't see the need for a trial ..Tasos stated it may come on  later point ..i don't think it will be anytime soon .

Budget and subscription numbers arent an absolute btw. Of course any company want have the max population they can get but they may feel different with what they have. DarkFall had not the big production costs, they didnt opened too much servers and they arent a big team anyway, i think the numbers of other productions and projects arent needed for DarkFall to be viable compared to "expensive" MMO's out there.   

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498

Or...perhaps AV figures you can't really appreciate the greatness that is DF in just a short trial period so there's no point to them.

Better just to get people to fork out the 50 bucks and then they'll be motivated to stick it out for the first 30 days.

They'd be crazy to offer trials and risk alienating potential players.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• BurntvetBurntvet Member RarePosts: 3,465

There is no reason to offer a trial in a game, where the retention numbers are or appear to be so crappy.

If all kinds of people continued after the first month, that is a good indication that people like what the game has to offer.  When a very large percentage don't, clearly there are many shortcomings.

Since the way you get this "game" is a direct download from the developer, they might as well get $50 from the people bored enough to try it or lazy enough to not read the reviews, since that is mostly the only revenue they get anyway, with proportionally few staying to offer monthly sub money.

Why is there no trial?

Because it is directly against AV's interest to have people find out what the game is like before they pay.

Originally posted by Burntvet

There is no reason to offer a trial in a game, where the retention numbers are or appear to be so crappy.
    If all kinds of people continued after the first month, that is a good indication that people like what the game has to offer.  When a very large percentage don't, clearly there are many shortcomings.
    Since the way you get this "game" is a direct download from the developer, they might as well get $50 from the people bored enough to try it or lazy enough to not read the reviews, since that is mostly the only revenue they get anyway, with proportionally few staying to offer monthly sub money.
    Why is there no trial?
    Because it is directly against AV's interest to have people find out what the game is like before they pay.

What you describe has to do with mainstream and mass appeal and not with what you say "shortcomings".  A specific genre will probably drive more people away then keep them and same time be a perfect and very good representative for its genre. In most things its the same way , deliver most common denominator to mass or specialize and deliver a specific service to those who would like it.

Darkfall wasn't targeted for the mass appeal from the get go. There was litle to no marketing efforts anyway from AV's part.

Why there should be a trial for  a game has been just released , not targeted to main stream and mass market , has a dedicated playerbase and healthy numbers (seems the devs haven't started any marketing still) ?

• WyldsongWyldsong Member Posts: 271

Why is there no trial?

What you describe has to do with mainstream and mass appeal and not with what you say "shortcomings".  A specific genre will probably drive more people away then keep them and same time be a perfect and very good representative for its genre. In most things its the same way , deliver most common denominator to mass or specialize and deliver a specific service to those who would like it.

Darkfall wasn't targeted for the mass appeal from the get go. There was litle to no marketing efforts anyway from AV's part.

Why there should be a trial for  a game has been just released , not targeted to main stream and mass market , has a dedicated playerbase and healthy numbers (seems the devs haven't started any marketing still) ?

Haven't started any marketing? I don't roam many gaming websites, but I know I have seen a DFO advertisement video on the front page of this site a few times.  So "something" has been started me boyo.

• xzyaxxzyax Member Posts: 2,459

Why is there no trial?

Yup, I think you nailed there.

Despite Tasos telling everyone for months/years before the game went live that they would have a trial, and that they wanted the game to speak for itself... they decided against going that route. 

Why? 

Well, obviously it's because they have more accounts and subs. than they know what to do with already. 

Obvious sarcasm aside...

They don't really have the ability to make a proper trial.  Any "trial" they would offer now would just be a shortened version of what everyone who buys it experiences.  Doing that would now would almost certainly kill the game... so I guess I'll have to at least give Aventurine credit for knowing that much. 

Sadly, I don't think we'll ever see a trial as long as Tasos and Aventurine are in charge of DarkFall.  It will continue to sputter along from scheme to scheme of Tasos until some other MMO offers what DarkFall does. 

Lol you think you genious..if it wasn't a joke it was an opinion ..you cant get away so easy dude ..keep joking to yourself or your friends. You misused these topic to flame and troll the OP and the game..the OP dont asked for your jokes it was specific a question about a trial it was not a question ..how is the game ..mmkay ?

The only person who posted a flame is you.

Plus an opinion delivered in the form of a joke is still an opinion as much as it is a joke.  In fact, an opinion posted humourously is often better received. 

As it happens, I am of the opinion that a trial will not happen as it would be counter-productive.  The game isn't currently strong enough in terms of quality or community to be a good advert for itself.

Also, people on a trial are unlikely to join a clan (nor would most clans likely accept somebody who is on a trial).  Given that even the most ardent promoters admit that a clan is vital to enjoy the game, thats not going to leave a good experience.

Come to Darkfall and get chain-ganked for 4 weeks on us!!

Not a good plan.

• xzyaxxzyax Member Posts: 2,459

The only person who posted a flame is you.

Plus an opinion delivered in the form of a joke is still an opinion as much as it is a joke.  In fact, an opinion posted humourously is often better received. 

As it happens, I am of the opinion that a trial will not happen as it would be counter-productive.  The game isn't currently strong enough in terms of quality or community to be a good advert for itself.

Also, people on a trial are unlikely to join a clan (nor would most clans likely accept somebody who is on a trial).  Given that even the most ardent promoters admit that a clan is vital to enjoy the game, thats not going to leave a good experience.

Come to Darkfall and get chain-ganked for 4 weeks on us!!

Not a good plan.

Don't worry about trying to justify yourself to Darth or anyone else who thinks they own this forum.

This forum is for ALL.

It is not the official DarkFall forums.

You have the right to express any opinion of DarkFall as long as it abides by the R.o.C. here on mmorpg.com.  Some of the more vocal supporters of DarkFall try to scare away those who aren't loyal members of the Tasos fan club... but they are harmless here. 

• indiramournindiramourn Member UncommonPosts: 884
    Originally posted by Kyleran

They'd be crazy to offer trials and risk alienating potential players.

That's tag-line worthy.   The reasons DF doesn't have a free trial:

1) AV doesn't want to increase the current flow of new customers.

2) AV is well aware that they would lose the cash from those potential users who ultimately would have dropped the $50 to give DF a try but after doing the trial are glad they didn't.

3) AV doesn't have the manpower/skill to make the changes required to support "trial" characters.  As they would have to be subject to some limitations or they could be used as the ultimate griefing tool by disgruntled explayers and the like.

• tombear81tombear81 Member Posts: 810
    Originally posted by indiramourn 

That's tag-line worthy.   The reasons DF doesn't have a free trial:
    1) AV doesn't want to increase the current flow of new customers.
    2) AV is well aware that they would lose the cash from those potential users who ultimately would have dropped the $50 to give DF a try but after doing the trial are glad they didn't.
    3) AV doesn't have the manpower/skill to make the changes required to support "trial" characters.  As they would have to be subject to some limitations or they could be used as the ultimate griefing tool by disgruntled explayers and the like.

I think we covered all the REAL reasons right there didn't we.  ;) Besides they don't want a trial when the working on how to triple charge people.

@That Special Person ... give it up we all know most players turned away from DF in droves.

• MilamMilam Member Posts: 4

Aw crud.  I just subscribed on a whim.  Should have read this first >.<

Close only counts when throwing horseshoes and fireballs

• TalRashaTalRasha Member UncommonPosts: 827
    Originally posted by Milam

Aw crud.  I just subscribed on a whim.  Should have read this first >.<

There is some rust on my car that I would like to sell you. It's probably caused by driving trough wet "sandboxes".

Let me know if you have another whim and want to buy my rust.

• MilamMilam Member Posts: 4

Heh, yeah, except I didn't try to get into your rust beta for two years without any luck, lol.  Actually now that I've tried it out it isn't too bad.  I wish they would have some anti macro stuff and the soft cap/skill degrade like advertised, but it reminds me of what an Oblivion mmo would be like.  Not really worth how much they're charging though, considering how well f2p games are getting.

Close only counts when throwing horseshoes and fireballs

• DukeDuDukeDu Member Posts: 73

I'd love to try Darkfall, but no way I'm paying 50 bucks to try it.