Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Amazon Kindle Case and MMOs

13»

Comments

• seabass2003seabass2003 Member Posts: 4,144
    Originally posted by Gyrus

Originally posted by seabass2003

One thing that is being missed by everyone is that, yes Amazon deleted the book but they also automatically and totally refunded everyone's money including the tax. Also this screw up wasn't Amazon's fault, it was the retarded publishing company. You say "How can that be?" Well the publishing company only had the rights to publish the book a totally different company has the distribution rights. It's up to the distibution company to allow things to go on the Kindle not the publishers because the Kindle is considered a distribution service not a publishing one. It was the publishing company which uploaded the book illegally therefore causing Amazon to forcibly delete the book from the Kindle. Put the fault on who is really to blame and that is the publisher.

I just reposted this since it looked like everyone skipped it.

Didn't miss it...just got sidetracked.

I think the big issue is the way Amazon handled it.

They had a couple of options which they could have taken.  Sorting it out behind the scenes with the publisher and distributor was a possible option (and the customer's could have been none the wiser).  Or, failing that, let the customers in on the problem and inform them what was going on.

Even if that meant that they supplied another copy of the book to the customers (from a different publisher and distributor) and asked the customers to delete the pirate copies themselves - informing them of the potential consequences if they would not / did not in a polite way.

But instead they completely disregarded the customers.

The customer was not a fault.  Amazon should have bent over backward to keep the customer happy.  They got it half right with the refund.  Explaining why (before the event) would have got them a bit further.

The long ranging implications of this are that now Kindle owners are aware (if they were not before) that books can be remotely deleted.  That will not only damage Amazon, but Kindle sales as well.

I totally agree with you on this and even Amazon has admitted they should have handled things differently. I shop Amazon all the time and they are usually really good about things. I just chalk this up to a mistake that they will learn from.

In America I have bad teeth. If I lived in England my teeth would be perfect.