Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

World of Warcraft: Possible Future Expansions

StraddenStradden Managing EditorMember CommonPosts: 6,696

MMORPG.com World of Warcraft Correspondent Daniel Growns writes this look at the possible future of World of Warcraft expansions and offers up a few of his own theories on what aspects of Azeroth lore new expansions might explore.

In the last four years there have been three large content packages in World of Warcraft. These are: the original World of Warcraft that brought us the world of Azeroth on a scale not seen in Blizzard’s games before, the Burning Crusade where we explored Illidan and the world he adopted as his own, and now we are currently fighting against the might of the Scourge and the Lich King. With such a steady stream of expansions out over the time the game has been available it makes you wonder what could be on its way next?

Some believe that Arthas is the death of World of Warcraft as there are no more interesting characters after this expansion has ended. However, I have delved into the story of World of Warcraft, reading the lore and finding out that there is far more available to Blizzard than some believe.

Read Possible Future Expansions

Cheers,
Jon Wood
Managing Editor
MMORPG.com

Comments

• XasapisXasapis Member RarePosts: 6,337

I suppose that any person with some exposure to the lore could populate that list.

Nice summing it up though.

Edit 1: It most likely going to be Maelstorm (due to the cataclysm site registration). Personally I would prefer the emerald dream (and the possibilities it offers combined with the phasing technology.

Edit 2: www.mmo-champion.com/index.php on Cataclysm.

• arctarusarctarus Member UncommonPosts: 2,581

Like what Blizz have said before, they will come out with about 5 x-pac in total.

But 2 problems i hope to see they address in the next coming x-pac.

1) Leveling

2) End-game content

Hopefully Blizz can come out with a good solution to these...

RIP Orc Choppa

• OzarumonOzarumon Member Posts: 107

Yea  I agree its definately maelstrom next. When the Lich King dies Azshara will probably attack azeroth. Blizzard lore I think suggest Azshara and the Lich King were working together. Also Blizzard let the cat out of the bag early and Goblins and Worgen will both be the new races in the next expansions both connected to a sea expansion.

So look out for that one next

• WolfdustWolfdust Member Posts: 1

If Goblins have been confirmed then it will probably include the undermine on the island of kezan. I stopped playing because Wrath was too easy and all the models were the same. But if they released this expansion and made it harder like it used to be then i'd be tempted back

"most people are other people. their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation." oscar wilde, de profundis, 1905.

• TealaTeala Member RarePosts: 7,627

My money is on the Maelstorm.   Then would come Emerald Dream.   Can someone provide a link where Blizzard confirmed the Worgen and Goblin as the next races?

• AbrahmmAbrahmm Member Posts: 2,448

I'm going to take a wild guess and say that the next WoW expansion will have 10 more levels, another reset of the gear treadmill, easier content, and one or two new features for people to claim it is "revolutionary".

Tried: LotR, CoH, AoC, WAR, Jumpgate Classic
    Played: SWG, Guild Wars, WoW
    Playing: Eve Online, Counter-strike
    Loved: Star Wars Galaxies
    Waiting for: Earthrise, Guild Wars 2, anything sandbox.

• RajenRajen Member Posts: 689

Probably going to be announced at blizzcon.... and I really can't see goblins being a race to be honest. I am not expecting anything new though, will probably be the same 10+ levels questing and raiding with a new raid with somewhat better gear ever few months, and of course arena will be the 'must do' in pvp progression even though hardly anyone likes it still.

Getting old =/

• GamerAeonGamerAeon Member Posts: 567

It'd have to the Worgen and Goblins it's two areas that were outlined in the ORIGINAL conceptualized map of Azeroth that have never been truly realized.

My WC lore is a tad rusty but the Worgen are actually Half&Half they're truly experiments of the guy up in the tower in Silverpine Forest. They've been cursed to be Worgenlike but still retain their humanity so they have the strength and agility of the Worgen but they have the spirit and will of Humans.

As for the Goblins, What more evidence do you need than the 80 Dozen goblins already wandering around Azeroth Plus there's always ONE goblin in each goblin place that mentions the Princes which indicates there's a whole Trade empire elsewhere.

And for a Neutral Race like the Tuskarr to appease and quest with you'd have the Pandaren on the Isle of Pandaria which according to some Obscure lore is SUPPOSEDLY around to the NW of the Goblins home of Undermine.

WoW hasn't run its course yet but knowing that the Original Lore Masters of WC are pretty much gone it's likely to be contradictory to some of the lore that came before it.

• SuperHansSuperHans Member Posts: 87
    Originally posted by Teala

My money is on the Maelstorm.   Then would come Emerald Dream.   Can someone provide a link where Blizzard confirmed the Worgen and Goblin as the next races?

It's actually spelled 'The Maelstrom'. And no, Blizzard never confirmed those two races. Mere speculation.

I'm just cool like that.

Originally posted by SuperHans

It's actually spelled 'The Maelstrom'. And no, Blizzard never confirmed those two races. Mere speculation.

OMG...::shoots self::   what is it with the grammar Nazis and typos Nazis lately.    I am constantly making typos...anyone who reads my post knows this.   I sometimes type faster than my fingers and brain communicate - so sue me.

• describabledescribable Member UncommonPosts: 407

how many old gods do we have to kill...... in order to gain armour that looks amazingly like the last set of armour i had but a different colour, or a tier before that....

now we're all champions of SW (crusaders etc), what's going to be left.. will it come to the stage we can solo thrall and have him lick our balls daily.

i really hope not....

"nothing actually matters, we're just slightly evolved monkeys clinging to a dying piece of rock hurtling through space waiting for our eventual death." - Frankie Boyle, Mock The Week

• BlackWatchBlackWatch Member UncommonPosts: 972

Maelstrom and Emerald Dream are the obvious front runners in the rumor mill for the next expac.  I  don't really have a preference here, tbh.  I can see a lot of promise for either. 

Other thoughts on what could/should be....

Races: Worgen/Goblins  (I still wish Panderen were an option.  Apparently they aren't due to some sort of religious issue with Asian culture.  What about cows and Tauren being in the game with Hindu/Indian culture?) If Maelstrom is the choice for the next expansion, then perhaps Naga will see a go as a playable race? 

If we're discussing new races... what about new classes?  Or... what about simply advancing the classes we have with heroic quest-lines?  Druids and Mages could somehow become Arch-Druids and Arch-Mages.  Maybe rogues would finally become a Pirate or a Ninja?  Paladins could become Blood Knights or Death... doh, nvmd.  Anyway, new classes would be nice to see and I thought those were promised already?  Essentially all of the 'hero classes' from Warcraft III were to be intro'd into the game, from what I remember. 

The treadmill effect that everyone refers to will kick in.  I don't know how Blizzard would avoid it, especially if we are advancing 10-20 more levels.  It's obvious, however, that the players who worked hard to get the best gear in WotLK will have a huge advantage through the first several levels in the expansion... it's a big edge, imho.  No, it doesn't excuse some of the big complaints with 'treadmilling', but it at least helps.

Blizzard has done a lot to help make levelling 'less painful'. But they haven't done much to reward player loyalty... in short Blizz hasn't done much to offer 'vet rewards', imho.  So, to address this, they could find a way to let people who have reached 'cap level' to grant levels/xp to their alts.  I would also like to see reputation be transferred down, too... almost as if your account represents a 'family'.  If you have 1 character on your account (on a realm by realm basis) that is exalted with a rep, maybe the other characters start off as at least honored with those same factions/reputation groups?  On a side note for 'vet reward-esque' itmes/benefits, I will say that one of my favorite things in the game has been heirloom items.  Love the hell out of them, tbh. 

Attention to detail and the 'little things' would be nice.  I'm talking about the ability to make your character standout from the millions of other WoW players.  Character customization... tattoo's, armor dying, scars, height/weight adjustments, more hair options, and maybe 'appearance' items (that don't offer stats, but you wear them over your armor for looks).  Player housing?  Guild halls?  What about last names for characters? 

• SonofSethSonofSeth Member UncommonPosts: 1,884

I would like to see the option of leveling sets of gear. I shut off XP gain, get the Bloodfang set I alway wanted for my rogue and continue leveling wearing my favourite set in game. When I reach the cap, it wouldn't be the strongest set available, but it would be stronger than the strongest blue set.

It's all about vanity anyways.

• RajenRajen Member Posts: 689
    Originally posted by GamerAeon
    As for the Goblins, What more evidence do you need than the 80 Dozen goblins already wandering around Azeroth Plus there's always ONE goblin in each goblin place that mentions the Princes which indicates there's a whole Trade empire elsewhere.
    And for a Neutral Race like the Tuskarr to appease and quest with you'd have the Pandaren on the Isle of Pandaria which according to some Obscure lore is SUPPOSEDLY around to the NW of the Goblins home of Undermine.

Yeah there are also tons of cats/frogs/fish wandering around in the game so your argument fails. You think races like taurens looks down right horrible just take a look at what goblins would look like in gear...please... thats like the old argument that people will be playing as nagas... it would be hideous design

if you don't have a source to your speculation then it holds no water. Goblins have always been the neutral race and 'neutral' npcs. Just because there is a model of somthing that has arms and legs in the game doesn't mean they are going to be playable

Originally posted by BlackWatch

Attention to detail and the 'little things' would be nice.  I'm talking about the ability to make your character standout from the millions of other WoW players.  Character customization... tattoo's, armor dying, scars, height/weight adjustments, more hair options, and maybe 'appearance' items (that don't offer stats, but you wear them over your armor for looks).  Player housing?  Guild halls?  What about last names for characters? 

Oh yeah, this I can agree.  We do need this.   One thing that really bothers me is that if Blizzard is going to follow the lore of Warcraft then they should allow Blood Elves to put tattoos on their bodies and faces.    Blood Elves in the lore do this.   They need to give us dyes for armor as well because again Blood Elves prefer red and black as to show respect for the Blood Elves that gave their lives during the scourge.     We're not given that option - the armor color is predefined and cannot be changed and that just really sucks.

Read my blog Black Watch I talk about lots of stuff like this.  ^_^  >>>  Open Letter To Blizzard - just a few suggestions to make World of Warcraft better. :)

• XiaokiXiaoki Member EpicPosts: 3,847

Nice article but poorly researched. You could have spent 5 minutes on WoW Wiki and done better.

Azshara was manipulated by Sargeras to create a portal to Azeroth so he could send his demon army.

In the Arthas book it was somewhat mentioned that Azshara has risen her city to the surface. A bit of foreshadowing.

Sargeras is a Titan so his homeworld would be the Titan world. Its more likely that we would go to Argus, homeworld of the Eredar, and Xoroth, homeworld of the Nathrezim(Dreadlords). There we would have final confrontations with Kil'Jaeden and Mal'Ganis, possibly Sargeras as well.

The Old Gods would only be expansion worthy if Blizzard is desperate for material(hey, how an entire underground expansion, everyone loves those). Old Gods are currently the go-to when you want an in-between update. Something to hold people over.

Also, there are 2 types of Worgen. The original Worgen come from a different dimension and are nearly mindless killing machines. The Silverpine Worgen's were humans that were experimented on by Arugal in an attempt to learn more about the original Worgen.

Lastly, Im not sure what you are trying to say about Medivh. Aegwynn was already pregnant when she fought Sargeras. Sargeras allowed himself to be defeated by Aegwynn so he could secretly possess her unborn child.

• SuperHansSuperHans Member Posts: 87

Mal'Ganis is dead, 'the fuck you talking about? Also, Sargeras is mostly dead. Can't remember where his "remains" are. 

EDIT: Oh, come on. Don't give me this shit. "However, recent reports indicate that he is still alive and has joined the ranks of the Scarlet Onslaught. Only a few know that he actually did die and that his corpse is being used as a disguise for the dreadlord Mal'Ganis, who was also previously thought dead but in fact survived his encounter with a vengeful Arthas Menethil."

COME THE FUCK ON!

EDIT2: " Brann Bronzebeard is pretty confident that the real Sargeras never actually set foot on Azeroth, implying the real Sargeras is still around in the Twisting Nether."

It gets better and better. Next thing you'll tell me Kael'thas is still alive. Jesus fuck. To think I loved Warcraft's lore.

I'm just cool like that.

• admriker4admriker4 Member Posts: 1,070
    Originally posted by arctarus

Like what Blizz have said before, they will come out with about 5 x-pac in total.
    1) Leveling
    2) End-game content

so does this mean the game is done once the 5th expansion comes out ? I know nothing about warcraft lore so its strange to me that theyre following some already written story from I assume those 3 warcraft games.

• ariccaronariccaron Member Posts: 95

I'm more interested in Blizzards next project really.  I lost interest in WoW after 60.

• OzarumonOzarumon Member Posts: 107
    Originally posted by admriker4

1) Leveling
    2) End-game content

so does this mean the game is done once the 5th expansion comes out ? I know nothing about warcraft lore so its strange to me that theyre following some already written story from I assume those 3 warcraft games.

Blizzard talked about WoW going free 2 play in the far future, so I am guessing when they are done making Xpacs for WoW, WoW will go free 2 play and concentrate on their other MMO

• DrakonusDrakonus Member Posts: 135

Originally posted by SuperHans

OMG...::shoots self::   what is it with the grammar Nazis and typos Nazis lately.    I am constantly making typos...anyone who reads my post knows this.   I sometimes type faster than my fingers and brain communicate - so sue me.

LOL...no worries...who doesn't...*oops*...evidently Super-Hnas *ooops again* who corerected *ooops again* you...at any rate the whole article is speculation so why not speculate here too Super-Hans???

• drbaltazardrbaltazar Member UncommonPosts: 7,856

if i recal correctly in the books i read ,when they speak about the old god just prior to the well blowing up 

the old gods get involved a lot trough a device called the demon soul and they speak to various powerfull being ,like illidan when he was young, a black dragon named neltharion  ,and i dont believe we ever saw  him in wow yet just that dragon alone is responsable for almost 60 % of the mischief going on,i cant mention everything since just the part when the dragon are involved would probably make an expension just by itself.

why did neltharion do so much evil?since hes supposed to help protect the world of azeroth ,well he got corrupted when his goblin horde took  hold of the demon soul,the old gods kept wispering and giving bad advice to neltharion lol why you think ?they were  working very hard to be released from their prison ,since they arent happy that the tittan put them there they probably want revenge on them 

the old gods could speak to him trough that device a dragon sorcer had to go search for that black dragon and he found out the dragon queen was held prisonner

i mean from all i read from the book there is a lot of lore not even touched yet that blizzard mention in the books 

mealstrom is just mentionned barelly when its created because the queen (who think she can seduce the old gods )ask for help from the old gods 

even before when she was stopped by illidan she was really hopping to be the queen of the old gods ,talk about being truelly twisted lol

every freaking bad that happened evolve around one group the old gods ,they contacted the other world and spoke of lush world of azeroth when the world of  verious baddy were dying for obvious reason etc

hell i dont believe we ll ever see maelstrom in wow ,it will probably be a new game that delves in to that subject 

theres still too many stuff untouched yet in azeroth 

unless they decide to skip a lot of content

• DrakonusDrakonus Member Posts: 135
    Originally posted by Ozarumon

Originally posted by admriker4

1) Leveling
    2) End-game content

Blizzard talked about WoW going free 2 play in the far future, so I am guessing when they are done making Xpacs for WoW, WoW will go free 2 play and concentrate on their other MMO

Blizzard is already concentrating on another MMO, so why haven't they already gone Free 2 Play...hmmm??

Originally posted by BlackWatch

Maelstrom and Emerald Dream are the obvious front runners in the rumor mill for the next expac.  I  don't really have a preference here, tbh.  I can see a lot of promise for either. 
    Other thoughts on what could/should be....
    Races: Worgen/Goblins  (I still wish Panderen were an option.  Apparently they aren't due to some sort of religious issue with Asian culture.  What about cows and Tauren being in the game with Hindu/Indian culture?) If Maelstrom is the choice for the next expansion, then perhaps Naga will see a go as a playable race? 
    If we're discussing new races... what about new classes?  Or... what about simply advancing the classes we have with heroic quest-lines?  Druids and Mages could somehow become Arch-Druids and Arch-Mages.  Maybe rogues would finally become a Pirate or a Ninja?  Paladins could become Blood Knights or Death... doh, nvmd.  Anyway, new classes would be nice to see and I thought those were promised already?  Essentially all of the 'hero classes' from Warcraft III were to be intro'd into the game, from what I remember. 
    The treadmill effect that everyone refers to will kick in.  I don't know how Blizzard would avoid it, especially if we are advancing 10-20 more levels.  It's obvious, however, that the players who worked hard to get the best gear in WotLK will have a huge advantage through the first several levels in the expansion... it's a big edge, imho.  No, it doesn't excuse some of the big complaints with 'treadmilling', but it at least helps.
    Blizzard has done a lot to help make levelling 'less painful'. But they haven't done much to reward player loyalty... in short Blizz hasn't done much to offer 'vet rewards', imho.  So, to address this, they could find a way to let people who have reached 'cap level' to grant levels/xp to their alts.  I would also like to see reputation be transferred down, too... almost as if your account represents a 'family'.  If you have 1 character on your account (on a realm by realm basis) that is exalted with a rep, maybe the other characters start off as at least honored with those same factions/reputation groups?  On a side note for 'vet reward-esque' itmes/benefits, I will say that one of my favorite things in the game has been heirloom items.  Love the hell out of them, tbh. 

mm im not sure unless im mistaken we never saw neltharion or the other part where dragon fight against dragon etc 

thats a freaking big chunk of story it was even prior to to the forsaken since the horde were still shaman in their lush world in those days

mm unless it was in warcraft 3 ,never played that strategy game 

http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/info/story/chapter1.html#1 this is what i found as you can see theres a lot of the lore not covered yet in wow lol