Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Oh, this is classic. Therapists to treat WoW addiction by entering the game as players

ZindaihasZindaihas Member UncommonPosts: 3,662

I love this idea.  I don't really think they will have any success...I could be wrong though.  It seems to me that the time addicts will be least likely to walk away from WoW is while they are playing it.  What kind of methods are the therapists going to use?  Are they going to do a "hard sell" where they get in your avatar's face and make you feel guilty for wasting your life away?  Or are they going to befriend you first, gain your trust, maybe even raid with you from time to time, and then try to convince you that there's more to life than just playing WoW?

And here's an interesting scenario - what happens if the therapists themselves become addicted to WoW?  Are they going to have to bring in even more doctors to treat the ones who have become addicted?  This is probably all a marketing ploy by Blizzard to expand WoW's player base even further.

The "Therapist" class

Comments

• Rayx0rRayx0r Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 2,902

I heard about this.  These guys actually want Blizzard to spring for their monthly subscriptions to provide this service. 

im really curious how this gets set up.  Does someones parents give them their childs info?  Such as server,character name etc?  Whats to stop the child from just putting this therapist on ignore?  Whats to stop the child from reporting the therapist to the GM for harassment?  These  guys are gonna have to at least play the game, or do they plan on running around as a level one noob like a gold spammer forever?

not to mention, is this really going to help the child at all if there truly is any sort of addiction or negative condition due to playing WoW?  Wouldnt this be similiar to an AA sponser meeting an alcoholic out at the bar over a beer?

complete bullshit really.  I think these guys just want free accounts to play WoW.

“"If you want a picture of the future, imagine a robot foot stomping on a human face -- forever."
  • IlliusIllius Member UncommonPosts: 4,142

I think in general we gotta stop giving these kind of things their 15 minutes of fame.

No required quests! And if I decide I want to be an assassin-cartographer-dancer-pastry chef who lives only to stalk and kill interior decorators, then that's who I want to be, even if it takes me four years to max all the skills and everyone else thinks I'm freaking nuts. -Madimorga-

• TheHelperTheHelper Member Posts: 108

Me personally can't wait til they whisper the wrong guy that has had too much of gold sellers and explodes in their face rendering them speechless and marking us all as lunatics... 

Or they start playing themselves lol.

• GazenthiaGazenthia Member Posts: 1,186

Rirst reply didn't make it through:

My friend relayed this to me. Apparently this is yet another idea conjured up by the religious groups. They hate video games, so of course people can become "addicted" to videogames, and of course this is a "service" they offer, and Blizzard should give them accounts. These people still think the TV is an evil influence. Of course all of this is BS, and if I were Blizzard I would publically challenge it. Especially when the idea of mmorpg addiction was RECENTLY shot down. Again.

I would be seriously offended if I were playing and was approached by one of these therapists. What are their criteria? What exactly do they DO if you meet those criteria? 

http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2006/12/13/

• ZindaihasZindaihas Member UncommonPosts: 3,662
    Originally posted by Gazenthia

Apparently this is yet another idea conjured up by the religious groups.

Wait, what?  This is a program which originated in London, England.  I didn't know there were even any religious groups left in Europe.  And if it was, why would they use therapists?  Can therapists acheive these groups goals?  It seems they would be more likely to exorcists or something.

• GazenthiaGazenthia Member Posts: 1,186
    Originally posted by Zindaihas

Originally posted by Gazenthia

Apparently this is yet another idea conjured up by the religious groups.

Wait, what?  This is a program which originated in London, England.  I didn't know there were even any religious groups left in Europe.  And if it was, why would they use therapists?  Can therapists acheive these groups goals?  It seems they would be more likely to exorcists or something.

Apparently they do. The first goal here is to villify video games and scare parents. Getting Blizzard to just give them accounts would be a major victory, at least in their eyes, because Blizzard would be admitting that there either is or could be a problem at best and addictions at worst. This is all par-for-the-course religious-fringe crazy as far as I am concerned.

This is also something that Scientologists have been accused of- they have organizations which help drug-addicts, but indoctrinate them. Need I remind you of that politician that said the churches would take care of community needs if there was a problem?

Its all about sucking people in and converting them. Its all about power.

http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2006/12/13/

• thorosuchthorosuch Member UncommonPosts: 127

Not a WOW addict, never even played...but...that's got to be one of the most ridiculous things I've heard...Why...I ask...why  would Blizzard even consider giving them an account?

Getting old is mandatory...growing up is optional.