Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

subscribe to site with money to turn of the ads?

frumbertfrumbert Member Posts: 190

Oh yeah, I'd love to be able to do that... PHWOAR.

I'd be overjoyed to pay you a regular bit of income just so an option appears in my profile page that says "Turn off those blitzy-blingy-in-your-face all-over-the-damned-page-ads-that-you-know-you-are-never-going-to-click-simply-on-the-principal-that-you-find-them-so-annoying".

Please.

Please.

Because I keep forgetting to sit at the computer that I have blocked flash from ever installing, just so I can view this very web site without having fear of multiple epileptic spasms from the blinking repetitive awfulness of these ads (already half induced from this awful white text thing you have going on).

Money. Like, dollars. Will pay directly. Instead of ads. Option. Turn off. Pay. Pay.

Please.

Forum signatures are stupid and annoying. I've turned mine off.

Comments

• XasapisXasapis Member RarePosts: 6,337

Or you can use firefox + addons

• ZorvanZorvan Member CommonPosts: 8,912

I agree. Just charge all our accounts to frumbert. It was his excellent idea, after all.

• frumbertfrumbert Member Posts: 190

Originally posted by Xasapis
    Or you can use firefox + addons

I'd use firefox except I hate waiting all day for things to load. Used be good. Now it is shit.

But hey, I worked out how to enable extensions on Chrome via some registry hacking and now have adsweep going properly, so all those pesky animations are all completely removed anyway by that. Yay. I'll see if I can write a script now to turn off people avatars and their signatures in forums next. That would be cool.

Now all I need is a way to turn off all mention of kitchy games produced for the eastern market and I'll be happy.

• sinsasinsa Member Posts: 31

If you really really want to pay a gaming site then go to fileplanet or gamefly.  If I have to pay for a review site then I'm done with it all and will be going to find the sun.

You don't seem to like any kind of eye candy.  Not that the ads are truly eye candy but, many of the avatars are really cool.  I have a question for you Frumbert.  Do you only play MUDs?

Originally posted by sinsa

If you really really want to pay a gaming site then go to fileplanet or gamefly.  If I have to pay for a review site then I'm done with it all and will be going to find the sun.

You don't seem to like any kind of eye candy.  Not that the ads are truly eye candy but, many of the avatars are really cool.  I have a question for you Frumbert.  Do you only play MUDs?

oddly enough I used to play a lot of muds, yes. modding or more usually coding them. Then I went and got work in 3D graphics instead. My eyes are getting older. The white text on a dark background isn't eye candy, it's a seizure waiting to happen. Rounded corners are so last year, and why can't this site use the full width of my monitor? There's over 1200 pixels of dead space out there (worse again on those dreadful american-centric web sites like fileplanet/gamefly who use itty bitty shitty pixel text as if it were "design". I've turned off the ads here, I like the site, so it's all cool now.

• sinsasinsa Member Posts: 31

While reading another forum that spreads it's wall of text all the way across my widescreen I've come to the conclusion that MMORPG forums and others that have not "updated their layout" are so much easier to read.  If the text is spread from edge to edge on a wide screen you are constantly turning your head and straining to look left and right.  With it in this smaller format it's so much easier to read.

As for the ads yeah they're a little bit of a pain in the but but I've seen a lot worse.  And even if they made us pay for it  we woulod still get bombarded by ads.  It's the way of the net.

well that's true and the text becomes harder to read the more there is on a line, that's well documented. There's also this amazing thing in new css called columns. About $5 to implement for a half competent designer. You might have seen them in old world media things called newspapers, where they put text to a certain width and then make it into a column, then put another column of the same width beside it that continues the story. It works since you don't have to re-fold the newspaper to continue reading, you just move your eyes. Same thing with a computer screen. The NY times did it years back and it worked really well, where I could just run the screen at whatever size I like and the web site used smoke and mirrors to work out that I could fit more in so I wouldn't have to scroll.